"This slavery of white women to black beasts will bring this nation to a conflict"

Gutierrez

Darth Bilbo
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
✟151.00
Faith
Calvinist
mhatten said:
Well if it is not sinful per se what is it then, let's not mince words here, which is all I really see.

I don't think I minced words, did I? I said it's unwise. That seems candid enough.

Why shouldn't it be encouraged or discouraged for that matter, what difference does it make at all?

It makes a difference because of cultural cohesion and the definition of nationhood. I think biblically speaking, it's pretty clear that racial segregation (not animosity) was begun and used by God, represents the natural "order", if you will, and is a pretty positive thing overall. That said, I'm not condemning anyone who chooses to miscegenate. Again, I'm just concerned about the vilification of those who --for biblically and philosophically sound reasons--oppose it. I'm glad to see that for the most part that doesn't appear to be happening here.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Gutierrez said:
I don't think interracial marriage is sinful per se. However, I think in most cases it is probably unwise and shouldn't be encouraged.
Is it unwise because of the way others react or because of something inherent to interracial coupling itself? If the former, why should we discourage interracial marriage rather than the harmful attitudes of others?

Upvote 0

SFMichael

Feb 6, 2004
San Francisco
Visit site
✟7,852.00
Faith
Christian
drfeelgood said:
Please don't use homophobe. It demonstrates ignorance and hatemongering, and the last thing we need is more of that.

I can understand why some people would be against both. Both are against what the Bible preaches. As for me, I have no opinion on the actual interracial marriage. I remain neutral. miscegenation is not a clear abomination as homosexuality is. Nor is it an evolutionary dead-end like homosexuality.

It just might be a bit selfish because no consideration is given to the child(ren), however.
If we could teach people to not deride others who are different, we wouldn't need to worry about the children.

The only reason the children are in danger are becuase of the narrow minded attitudes of everyone else.

Michael

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jonathan David said:
LOL...What a hysterical choice of words for a guy who has concerns about a child born of an interracial marriage ;)

Peace.

JD
hahaha. :) Aaargh. I totally missed that when I typed it. It is funny with your comments attached. :D

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Gutierrez said:
I don't think I minced words, did I? I said it's unwise. That seems candid enough.

Unwise, why, how?

It makes a difference because of cultural cohesion and the definition of nationhood.

How would that definition fit here in this multicultural nation?
With equality for all which should include Gay marriage.

I think biblically speaking, it's pretty clear that racial segregation (not animosity) was begun and used by God, represents the natural "order", if you will, and is a pretty positive thing overall.

I see that as man's influence in the Bible and people just picking up that ball and running with it. It is harldy a natural "order" since we are able to travel and intermingle with ease.

That said, I'm not condemning anyone who chooses to miscegenate. Again, I'm just concerned about the vilification of those who --for biblically and philosophically sound reasons--oppose it. I'm glad to see that for the most part that doesn't appear to be happening here.

I don't see any biblically sound reason for opposing it. People thought there were Bibilically sound reasons for slavery.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Gutierrez said:
It makes a difference because of cultural cohesion and the definition of nationhood.
1) Culture does not break down nicely and neatly along racial lines. Race does not break down nicely and neatly along cultural lines. Neither one corresponds all that well with genetics.

2) You are conflating the modern and ancient meanings of "nation."
I think biblically speaking, it's pretty clear that racial segregation (not animosity) was begun and used by God, represents the natural "order", if you will, and is a pretty positive thing overall. That said, I'm not condemning anyone who chooses to miscegenate.
No, but you do openly disapprove.
Again, I'm just concerned about the vilification of those who --for biblically and philosophically sound reasons--oppose it. I'm glad to see that for the most part that doesn't appear to be happening here.
Your philosophical reasons are questionable, at best, and your Biblical reasons are contradicted by some of your own Christian brethren. I hope you have something in reserve.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Philosoft said:
Eh? These people kill homosexuals then admit they killed homosexuals because they hate homosexuals. What are you waiting for, the PET-scan data?
How is that incompatible with the common usage of "homophobia"?
Gone through this before. They are two unique concepts. Even homosexual activists admit this. :)

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SFMichael said:
If we could teach people to not deride others who are different, we wouldn't need to worry about the children.

The only reason the children are in danger are becuase of the narrow minded attitudes of everyone else.

Michael

Thank you :bow::bow::bow::bow: a voice of reason!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
drfeelgood said:
let me give you one word :)

facts.

Fear and hatred are two different things.

I think the facts in that case speak for themselves.

If you want to deny that then fine, be my guest.

Upvote 0

Gutierrez

Darth Bilbo
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
✟151.00
Faith
Calvinist
Philosoft said:
Is it unwise because of the way others react or because of something inherent to interracial coupling itself? If the former, why should we discourage interracial marriage rather than the harmful attitudes of others?

I think it's unwise partly because of others' reactions, but not primarily. It's just that people of the same race and their respective families tend to have more in common culturally with one another, and it makes things easier. It causes stronger bonds to be formed, in my opinion. And there might be all kinds of other intangible benefits that we don't regularly notice. That's all.

Upvote 0

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i don't see what the problem is period. i cannot believe it's 2004 and we still have people out there who don't think its "right" for people of opposite races to get married...and truth be told, most of those generally oppose black/white unions over any kind. why? i have no idea. my mother is 1/2 american indian so i guess that technically makes me multi-racial...but i have never caught any flak for it (my mother is 1/2 white, she has never caught anything either)...but i do see children of mixed white/black heritage being made fun of. all i have to say about that is this: hatred, ignorance, and general STUPIDITY usually starts at home. if i had ever made fun of someone because of their race/sexuality/etc my parents would have slapped me upside the head. maybe we don't have enough of that these days *wink*

Upvote 0

Gutierrez

Darth Bilbo
Feb 27, 2004
Visit site
✟151.00
Faith
Calvinist
mhatten said:
Unwise, why, how?
Same reasons I gave Philosoft.

How would that definition fit here in this multicultural nation?
With equality for all which should include Gay marriage.
Well, I don't believe in equality, either that it exists or should, especially in the case of gay marriage. So I strongly disagree with you there. Leaving that aside, it's true that we're a multicultural country to the extent that there are many different racial/ethnic groups with their own distinctive cultures. But I don't think there is any generic "American" culture that encompasses them all and causes them to blend together in one "melting pot."

I see that as man's influence in the Bible and people just picking up that ball and running with it. It is harldy a natural "order" since we are able to travel and intermingle with ease.
Does that mean you don't think the Bible is divinely inspired and infallible, but has the taint of things that some men just believed and put in there, which are clearly wrong and not from God? And it's true we're able to travel and intermingle with ease, but from the time of the scattering of Babel onward, it has not been so until very recently.

I don't see any biblically sound reason for opposing it. People thought there were Bibilically sound reasons for slavery.
The Bible doesn't condemn slavery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Gutierrez said:
Well, I don't believe in equality, either that it exists or should, especially in the case of gay marriage.

You are right that it does not exist in fact, but do you agree with it in principal?

Does that mean you don't think the Bible is divinely inspired and infallible, but has the taint of things that some men just believed and put in there, which are clearly wrong and not from God?

I think the Bible is divinely inspired. I also think it does have man's not so divine imprint on it.

Are there things that are clearly wrong in practice in the Bible, yes:

If his master gives him (his servant) a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

7 If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do

"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, 21 but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

The wordlview of women, which I realize does have cultural and historic context as with slavery but some of the things are/were/will always be wrong.

The Bible doesn't condemn slavery.

No it does not, and in my opinion it clearly condones it, or at the very least accepts it without passing moral judgement.

I have said this on other places here at CF:

Slavery no matter where, when or by who it was practiced is wrong and is morally reprehensible. That includes slavery as depicted in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Gutierrez said:
I think it's unwise partly because of others' reactions, but not primarily.
That's good, I suppose, that you don't give this primacy. The relative wisdom of some practice is in no way dependent on potential bigoted reactions to said practice.
It's just that people of the same race and their respective families tend to have more in common culturally with one another, and it makes things easier. It causes stronger bonds to be formed, in my opinion.
Well, it's good to know you're personally familiar with interracial marriages to the extent that you can determine the levels of cultural compatibility involved. I mean, it's not like the married folks themselves would have any idea, right?
And there might be all kinds of other intangible benefits that we don't regularly notice. That's all.
Bleh. By that logic, there might be "intangible benefits" to giving up Christianity.

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

~Nope,nothing wrong here~
Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
drfeelgood said:
There aren't any. Homosexual rights are not even close to being on par to the struggle the Black people have faced. That is a common misconception that the homosexuals want you to buy into for reasons I won't go into here, other than to say they are hoping to ride in on the coattails of the Black movement.

Yup, I agree. :)

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
feral said:
Wow, very thought provoking article. To think, the exact same arguments used against interracial marriage are being used today. :( You would think that those opposing gay marriage would open their eyes to these similiarities.

They are nowhere near similar. :)

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
drfeelgood said:
I'm not going to offer my opinion on the actual interracial marriage, although they were forbidden in the Bible.

What I will say is will somebody PLEEEEAASE think of the children. haha.

No. It's true. All kidding aside. Nobody bothers to think of them. They don't fit in anywhere and are thus segregated from their peers. They aren't black and they aren't white. Although they might be able to fit in on some superficial level, they don't have anything to call their own and it just isn't fair to them. There is nothing wrong with them as a person per se. I just feel bad for them. One can only hope they can find a group of friends that is willing to look beyond the superficial, which is exceedingly rare up to adulthood.

Hmmmm.... I never felt that way at all, I fit in very well at school and everywhere. Wasn't a problem for me. ;)

And the Bible doesn't forbid interracial marriage. :)

Upvote 0