USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Of course, the parent apostasizers. And I really don't care if forum rules disallow identifying the Catholic Church as such, but I'd bet that they do.
I guess we will have to see about that. God has people in every denomination, but He is calling His people out of the false teachings and back to worshipping Him in Truth and Spirit John 4:23-24. God's people keep the commandments of God Revelation 14:12, the way God gave them, no one can improve on what God wrote or what God spoke and according to scripture we are not to change anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is quite easy because God's Word tells us not to go away from God's Word and not to change one Word in scripture or to His commandments....
How could former pagan Christians in the 12 countries and 63 cities mentioned in the N.T. know what to do/not do if they did not have anything to tell them the laws of God?
There is no record in the N.T. that believers in those 12 countries and 63 cities were ever provided any Old Testament commandments. How could they follow the O.T. when they did not have it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How could former pagan Christians in the 12 countries and 63 cities mentioned in the N.T. know what to do/not do if they did not have anything to tell them the laws of God?
There is no record in the N.T. that believers in those 12 countries and 63 cities were ever provided any Old Testament commandments. How could they follow the O.T. when they did not have it.
The Ten Commandments were repeated in the New Covenant, and it was a teaching of Jesus and the apostles. Paul said what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19 and pointed right to the Ten Commandments to define sin. Romans 7:7

The Law of God in the New Testament.
1. "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve" (Matthew 4:10).
2. "Little children, keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21). "Since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising" (Acts 17:29).
3. "That the name of God and His doctrine may not be blasphemed" (1 Timothy 6:1).
4. "He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: 'And God rested on the seventh day from all His works.' There remains therefore a rest ["keeping of a sabbath," margin] for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His" (Hebrews 4:4, 9, 10).
5. "Honor your father and your mother" (Matthew 19:19).
6. "You shall not murder" (Romans 13:9).
7. "You shall not commit adultery" (Matthew 19:18).
8. "You shall not steal" (Romans 13:9).
9. "You shall not bear false witness" (Romans 13:9).
10. "You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).

The Law of God in the Old Testament.
1. "You shall have no other gods before Me" (Exodus 20:3).
2. "You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments" (Exodus 20:4–6).
3. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7).
4. "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it" (Exodus 20:8–11).
5. "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you" (Exodus 20:12).
6. "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13).
7. "You shall not commit adultery" (Exodus 20:14).
8. "You shall not steal" (Exodus 20:15).
9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" (Exodus 20:16).
10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's" (Exodus 20:17).

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Ten Commandments were repeated in the New Covenant, and it was a teaching of Jesus and the apostles. Paul said what matters is keeping the commandments of God 1 Cor 7:19 and pointed right to the Ten Commandments to define sin. Romans 7:7...
That is correct, but all ten commandments were never given to one single church. Different churches were given different commandments. There is no record that a single church had all 10 commandments. Also, there is no record that any NT church was taught how and when to observe the Sabbath. Missing is the part of the commandment which states that the Sabbath is from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. Also missing is the prohibition against lighting a fire and doing any work.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is correct, but all ten commandments were never given to one single church. Different churches were given different commandments. There is no record that a single church had all 10 commandments. Also, there is no record that any NT church was taught how and when to observe the Sabbath. Missing is the part of the commandment which states that the Sabbath is from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. Also missing is the prohibition against lighting a fire and doing any work.
All they had to do was follow the example of Jesus and the apostles who kept every Sabbath according to the scriptures. We are told to follow their example.

I would think God’s saints are the saved ones i.e. God's church. God's people keeps God's commandments. Revelation 14:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All they had to do was follow the example of Jesus and the apostles who kept every Sabbath according to the scriptures. We are told to follow their example.
The saints are the saved ones i.e. God's church. God's people keeps God's commandments. Revelation 14:12
That seems like a good answer but those former pagans in Babylon, Ephesus, Corinth, Rome etc. could not follow Jesus around observing Him. So, my previous arguments stand unrefuted.

I chose the cities that seemed to be the farthest apart.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That seems like a good answer but those former pagans in Babylon, Ephesus, Corinth, Rome etc. could not follow Jesus around observing Him. So, my previous arguments stand unrefuted.

I chose the cities that seemed to be the farthest apart.
Your argument would apply to everything, not just the Sabbath, but Jesus commissioned the Apostles to teach the world and observe everything He commanded of them, which we see the apostles obeying by preaching God's Word every Sabbath and to Jews Gentiles and whole cities.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It never said anything to Gentiles at all, and there's no indication at all that the Gentile Church ever kept the Law except those parts of it that forbade things they they considered malum in se or that were taught in the New Testament. They were not taught not to eat lobsters, to forbear from trimming their beards, or to keep Shabbos.

And what does that have to do with my post? I said "Scripture does NOT say that. It specifically says the 7th day is holy and is the Sabbath. it does not say you can pick any day you want to..." Do you agree or disagree with that????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

This thread is now closed. The topic does not fit Controversial Christian Theology and this is not the place to discuss Sabbath Observance - we have a whole forum dedicated to that.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.