The Pledge stays as it is...

Primordial Soup

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
✟377.00
Faith
Atheist
If they were good judges they would have ruled on it instead of bowing/fearing the majority of the country.

The S.C. will have to eventually rule on it instead of cowardly passing it based on standing, and there can only be one ruling which is against the current version and in favor of the original, which is why I think they passed the buck.

And I say the only ruling is that is because no matter how much you want it to be otherwise it is favoring a religion which is unconstitutional. And those who hide their true intent behind ceremonial deism just have to look at those who opposed the restoration of the pledge to see that it is indeed a religous issue and not an historical / deism one.

Upvote 0

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
well, 8-0 is fairly convincing one way or another. good that scalia recused himself too. i agree that it will come up again but i'd be happier from a case law perspective if the debate came from a case of solid and uncontested legal standing.

the court again proved its wisdom by declining on a shaky case....

Upvote 0

Primordial Soup

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
✟377.00
Faith
Atheist
Renegade,

That speaks for you but not the millions of those who either do not believe or have differing beliefs. I do not need a god to put any oaths I may give into a more proper perspective, neither do I need a god to make a vow I give have a moral stipulation. I can do these things on my own honor and morals.

Upvote 0

Larry

Fundamentalist Christian
Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
✟2,635.00
Faith
Christian
Primordial Soup said:
If they were good judges they would have ruled on it instead of bowing/fearing the majority of the country.

Exactly what part of 'We the People', and a government 'of the people, by the people and for the people' don't you understand?

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
charis said:
it was dismissed on a technicality.

which means some other joker is bound to bring it up again ...
The "technicality" is arguably a disturbing note from our highest court.

USAToday.com said:
The court said atheist Michael Newdow could not sue to ban the pledge from his daughter's school and others because he did not have legal authority to speak for her.

Newdow is in a protracted custody fight with the girl's mother. He does not have sufficient custody of the child to qualify as her legal representative, the court said. Eight justices voted to reverse a lower court ruling in Newdow's favor.
:|

Upvote 0

Arwen Undomiel

love one another
Mar 4, 2004
✟17,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Primordial Soup said:

Hmmm. Doesn't this mean that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few? Sorry, I'm quoting Mr. Spock but that's what comes to mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
Primordial Soup said:

The S.C. will have to eventually rule on it instead of cowardly passing it based on standing, and there can only be one ruling which is against the current version and in favor of the original, which is why I think they passed the buck.

And I say the only ruling is that is because no matter how much you want it to be otherwise it is favoring a religion which is unconstitutional. And those who hide their true intent behind ceremonial deism just have to look at those who opposed the restoration of the pledge to see that it is indeed a religous issue and not an historical / deism one.
so we're supposed to throw out all custody law simply because you would have like them to rule on the issue? great idea: settle a controversial issue by completely trashing (and ignoring) some very important settled US custody law.

you know, not every case the SCOUTS rules on comes out the way that i'd like. however, i certainly wouldn't call it "ducking" simply because they used a line of legal reasoning that you found irrelevant.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
charis said:
it was dismissed on a technicality.

which means some other joker is bound to bring it up again ...

Frankly speaking, to demand that the government not indoctinate children to the myth that a god exists is not something that a joker would expect.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Larry said:
Exactly what part of 'We the People', and a government 'of the people, by the people and for the people' don't you understand?

What part of the fact that we have a contstitution with a bill of rights do you not understand? The US is a constitutional representaive republic where rights protect the minority from oppression by the majority.

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Larry said:
Except justices are appointed precisely to avoid any populist politics that might arise. When we elect judges, we get chaos. Case in point: Roy Moore ran for Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, and won, essentially on the platform "I'll hang the Ten Commandments in my courtroom."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
kdet said:
:sigh: How sad that you feel this way.

I feel the same way when I see people who think that they have the right to impose religious beliefs onto children. It would be a far better world when people finally free themselves of their mythologies and embrace reason.

Upvote 0

opus_dei

Ecce Panis Angelorum
Feb 25, 2004
✟15,653.00
Faith
Catholic
crazyfingers said:
What part of the fact that we have a contstitution with a bill of rights do you not understand? The US is a constitutional representaive republic where rights protect the minority from oppression by the majority.
this is true, however, it does not mean that every issue that the 'miniority,' in whatever the case, will always have their view / position come out on top simply because of the "oppression of the majority." moreover, it's not up to the majority or the miniority to interpret what the constitution holds, rather that it up to the SCOTUS.

sorry, but the us const. and the BoR are not a blanket authority to always promote the minority view on a given subject. part of minority protection is actively participating in the "representative" part of the republic.

Reactions: PatrickM
Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
opus_dei said:
sorry, but the us const. and the BoR are not a blanket authority to always promote the minority view on a given subject. part of minority protection is actively participating in the "representative" part of the republic.

Here you have misinterpreted the issue. Removing "under God" from the pledge would NOT be prompting the minority view. It would be to not promote the majority view. If the pledge was altered to say, "one nation under NO GOD" that would be promotion of the minority view.

The current pledge states that a god exists. Removing "under god" would simply be restoring the pledge to one that does not address the question as to whether one exists or not.

And, the fact is that the constition prohibits the government from promoting one religious view over another. The only way to do that in this case is to mot address the god issue - leave it out.

Reactions: reverend B
Upvote 0