Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It would seem as if the far-right contingent of the GOP could be setting themselves up for situation that could backfire.

By not voting for Kevin and dragging the process out, the longer it goes, the greater the chances that Democrats form an "alliance" of sorts with moderate republicans to get a moderate GOP member the gavel by agreeing to give them the votes.

If the GOP is holding out for someone further right of McCarthy to get the spot, there's a good chance they could shoot themselves in the foot and end up with someone further left. (or someone who's not even a member of the house of representatives)

1672875861079.png

Last edited:

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By not voting for Kevin and dragging the process out, the longer it goes, the greater the chances that Democrats form an "alliance" of sorts with moderate republicans to get a moderate GOP member the gavel by agreeing to give them the votes.
I don't think that's a plausible scenario (but who knows). The difficulty is this would require getting a lot of Democrats to sign on. Even if their caucus leader straight up said "okay, vote for this more liberal Republican, it's the best we'll get" then I expect they could get a lot of their party on board, but they'd find themselves with the same issue as the Republicans of being unable to get some of the more extreme members of their party to go along with it. Remember that to get a majority, you'd need a Republican to replace every dissenting Democrat (and there would almost certainly be a few dissenting Democrats if the suggestion was to vote for a Republican) and then enough Republicans to cover the remaining difference.

If some agreement is arranged between Democrats and the more liberal Republicans, I feel like you'd end up with a Democrat Speaker (perhaps one more conservative than the Democrat's current choice, though), because you could get all of the Democrats behind that, and would only need to get a few of the more liberal Republicans to join in.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It would seem as if the far-right contingent of the GOP could be setting themselves up for situation that could backfire.

If the GOP is holding out for someone further right of McCarthy to get the spot, there's a good chance they could shoot themselves in the foot and end up with someone further left. (or someone who's not even a member of the house of representatives)

View attachment 326033

well ... who is the 2nd "runner up" for speaker? Rather than just a yea or nay for one person .... how come they just don't put two forward and then take a vote between those two?

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
well ... who is the 2nd "runner up" for speaker? Rather than just a yea or nay for one person .... how come they just don't put two forward and then take a vote between those two?

That will take a change of rules which might require a majority to agree to. I say might because there is a chance they can’t change the rules at all unless there is a Speaker.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is anyone else thinking maybe they should have the reporters outside and have white smoke coming from a chimney when they make their choice, and black smoke if they haven't?
In one of the other threads I suggested bricking up the exits until they vote someone in.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In one of the other threads I suggested bricking up the exits until they vote someone in.
Gee, would you look at the calendar, how time flies and just in time for another January 6th!

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think they know or care. It would seem that the small faction of the "Maga crew" are simply just being difficult or trying to virtue signal their objection to what they've branded "the swamp", but they don't really have a realistic plan of their own.

It's a big of a long winded assessment, and Shapiro's looking at it from a conservative viewpoint, but he does make a lot of good points about the situation

...but he does hit the nail on the head, the small faction keeps saying "no" to Kevin, but they're not offering any feasible alternative of their own.
"if you can provide me a name of another viable alternative you want to put up for the job that has a viable chance of winning, I'd be willing to consider it, but given that all of the other viable alternatives have no interest and are all backing McCarthy, then I fail to see what their strategy is here"

Upvote 0