Donald Trump Jr. Hawking "We The People" Bibles with 100% Bonded Leather covers. Buy 3 for 15% off. Buy 10 for the best value -- a 30% savings!

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Come on, the King James Bible isn't British. It is English. It has never been in copyright so far as I know, having been published in 1611. But for a certain section of the Christian world the copyright belongs to God, whose direct Word it is.

I'm not sure where that leaves those who profit from its sale.
The KJV has always been under some form of copyright in the UK; indeed, it's still under a perpetual copyright there. I think it's public domain everywhere else though.

Well, technically I think it's some kind of royal prerogative rather than copyright, but it amounts to the same thing in that you can't print it without permission there.

• Informative
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This does not prevent others from printing:

Within the United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press permits the reproduction of at most 500 verses for "liturgical and non-commercial educational use", provided that their prescribed acknowledgement is included, the quoted verses do not exceed 25% of the publication quoting them and do not include a complete Bible book.[185] For use beyond this, the Press is willing to consider permission requested on a case-by-case basis and in 2011 a spokesman said the Press generally does not charge a fee but tries to ensure that a reputable source text is used.
Wikipedia​

I doubt if there is any pressure in the UK to print Bibles independently. It is, after all, an already saturated market. I expect it is similar in America: everybody who wants a Bible already has one. I just can't see the Trump Bible as a commercial concern. A vanity project?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Donald Trump Jr.​

Executive Vice President​

The Trump Organization​

"Faith is being targeted and our country’s founding beliefs are being targeted.

The "We The People Bible" is restoring what there is an attempt to remove.

Preservation of Faith, preservation of America.”

- Donald Trump Jr.

The We The People Bible was designed with the patriot in mind and features a vertical reversed American flag design that represents a country in distress. Our bible is proudly made in the USA and has been designed with large print that delivers an easy reading experience to anyone looking to explore the tried-and-true King James (KJV) translation.

Every We The People Bible also includes easy-to-read copies of America’s founding documents including the United States Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Pledge of Allegiance.
Interesting.
I can only presume the some of the same folk who would fight you tooth and nail over the inclusion of Tobit or the Maccabees in a Bible have no problem whatsoever equating the United States Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Pledge of Allegiance with Holy Scripture in this fashion.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I can think of nothing more American then this. Supplying low quality items to people only to happy to spend their hard earned dollars on them and who will enjoy them immensly. Seems a harmless enough distraction and points out that the true god of most Americans is capitalism. Win - win seems to me.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This does not prevent others from printing:

Within the United Kingdom, Cambridge University Press permits the reproduction of at most 500 verses for "liturgical and non-commercial educational use", provided that their prescribed acknowledgement is included, the quoted verses do not exceed 25% of the publication quoting them and do not include a complete Bible book.[185] For use beyond this, the Press is willing to consider permission requested on a case-by-case basis and in 2011 a spokesman said the Press generally does not charge a fee but tries to ensure that a reputable source text is used.
Wikipedia​

I doubt if there is any pressure in the UK to print Bibles independently. It is, after all, an already saturated market. I expect it is similar in America: everybody who wants a Bible already has one. I just can't see the Trump Bible as a commercial concern. A vanity project?
This is why I said you "can't print it without permission." The partial printing noted--"at most 500 verses for "liturgical and non-commercial education use"--is still only allowed with their permission, even if that permission is granted automatically. And as it notes, you have to get a personalized permission if you want to print more than that, such as the whole thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Whyayeman
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I heard about this Bible. A few instances that mention 'Jesus' has his named crossed out and 'Donald Trump' written over it. They didn't do this every time Jesus was mentioned... no.. they choose to go... the subtle route.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I heard about this Bible. A few instances that mention 'Jesus' has his named crossed out and 'Donald Trump' written over it. They didn't do this every time Jesus was mentioned... no.. they choose to go... the subtle route.
I wouldn't be overly surprised if that happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The copyright on the KJV Bible expired. You may quote it freely without plagiarism issues. I have not bought a Bible in years. There are free copies online. I have a World English Bible app on my iPad. The World English Bible was placed in the public domain - no copyright.

I know some of the rural population does not have access to high speed Internet. My brother told me he bought a vacation home in a mountainous area where there is no cell service.
Im just kidding - you do realize that right?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the sermon on the mount is replaced by Donald's twitter barrage
It appears to be the least referred to on these forums. In fact the words of Jesus as set out in the New Testament are vanishingly rare here. Paul is probably top scoring with Timothy popular too.

It is a puzzle. If Trump is shoved in there somewhere it is only a matter of time before he is vying with those two for the top spot - and letting us know about it.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,007.00
Faith
Christian

Buy 3 for 15% off. Buy 10 for the best value -- a 30% savings!​

Well, I mean who can resist such a discount!

1673299322266.jpeg

But surely the best bit is the caption at the top of the page. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Shop now" without a hint of irony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
in "Sharpie" print?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0