THE LORD'S DAY IS THE SABBATH DAY NOT SUNDAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Keeping the sabbath in Christ has nothing to do with observing a weekly ritual.

Creative writing is not the same as actual scripture.

Christ condemns the idea of editing/ignoring/diregarding the Commands of God while claiming true worship -- in Mark 7:6-13

6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

God said "Remember the Sabbath day, KEEP it Holy ...the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:8-10
Man says - "How dare God suggest such a thing - "

God said "do not eat of the forbidden tree"
But man said "how dare God suggest such a thing"

God said "The Earth will be flooded in 120 years"
But man said "How are God suggest such a thing"

God said "the Carpenter from Nazareth is the Messiah"
But man said "how dare God suggest such a thing".

In every age that has been going on in one form or another.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Creative writing is not the same as actual scripture.

Christ condemns the idea of editing/ignoring/diregarding the Commands of God while claiming true worship -- in Mark 7:6-13

6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

God said "Remember the Sabbath day, KEEP it Holy ...the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)" Ex 20:8-10

God said "do not eat of the forbidden tree"
But man said "how dare God suggest such a thing"

God said "The Earth will be flooded in 120 years"
But man said "How are God suggest such a thing"

God said "the Carpenter from Nazareth is the Messiah"
But man said "how dare God suggest such a thing".

In every age that has been going on in one form or another.

Christians keep the sabbath in Christ without the need for weekly ceremonial rituals, regardless of the day of the week. It's all in the same verses that you keep quoting when you look at them through a lens of Christ rather than a lens of lawkeeping. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, not vice versa.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Christians keep the sabbath in Christ without the need for weekly

For all eternity - after the cross
Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship"

I quote "the Bible" -- You quote "you"..

To each his own.

==================================

The religious magisterium of Christ's day were very happy to "quote themselves" when editing and downsizing the Word of God.

But Christ condemns the idea of editing/ignoring/diregarding the Commands of God while claiming true worship -- in Mark 7:6-13

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship"

I quote "the Bible" -- You quote "you"..

To each his own.

==================================

The religious magisterium of Christ's day were very happy to "quote themselves" when editing and downsizing the Word of God.

But Christ condemns the idea of editing/ignoring/diregarding the Commands of God while claiming true worship -- in Mark 7:6-13

The Isaiah verse you quoted is using "sabbath to sabbath" to denote a week, just like new moon to new moon is a month. It's not about observing a ritual sabbath in that context, but worshiping God by using time periods to help people understand the concept of eternity. You are reading into scripture something that's not there if you think that verse has anything to do with observing a sabbath. Since Jews in that time period were still under ceremonial law and observing a ritual sabbath, they would be able to immediately understand that "sabbath to sabbath" means a week or seven day period without any further explanation.

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, not the other way around. Our scriptural lens needs to be focused on Christ, not works of law.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, not the other way around. .

True and Jesus said "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments".

The idea that Love to Jesus means to violate His commands is not taught in scripture.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The Isaiah verse you quoted is using "sabbath to sabbath" to denote a week, just like new moon to new moon is a month.

More precisely "a weekly cycle" and a "monthly cycle" ..

Just as we have "from year to year" to indicate a "yearly cycle".
1 Sam 2:19 19 And his mother would make him a little robe and bring it to him from year to year when she would come up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

The idea that this sort of phrase meant "daily" is not a fiction that any serious Bible scholar falls for.

Creative writing is not the in-depth Bible study that some have suggested it might be.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
True and Jesus said "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments".

The idea that Love to Jesus means to violate His commands is not taught in scripture.

If our trust is in Jesus, then through the power of his Holy Spirit, we are not in violation of any commandments. It is not about what we do, but what he does through us.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

More precisely "a weekly cycle" and a "monthly cycle" ..

Just as we have "from year to year" to indicate a "yearly cycle".
1 Sam 2:19 19 And his mother would make him a little robe and bring it to him from year to year when she would come up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

The idea that this sort of phrase meant "daily" is not a fiction that any serious Bible scholar falls for.

Creative writing is not the in-depth Bible study that some have suggested it might be.

In depth bible study is also not being so enamored by laws and rituals and ceremonies to miss the point of the entire message, which is not about observing a ritual sabbath or any other sort of ritual or ceremony. The way you are interpreting "sabbath to sabbath" would mean that we are *only* worshiping God once every seven days in the same way that Samuel's mother would bring him a robe once every year. That's drastically missing the point of the message in Isaiah, which is that people will be worshiping God for an eternity. Using "month to month" or "sabbath to sabbath" is using language and concepts that people understand to help them grasp the meaning of eternity.

If all it is is a once a week ceremonial thing like "new robe day" once a year, that message is lost.

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Let me ask a pertinent question.... do you keep and observe all the feast days of Leviticus 23 to the very day and detail every year?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask a pertinent question.... do you keep and observe all the feast days of Leviticus 23 to the very day and detail every year?

Copper why do you feel a need to keep the ANNUAL Jewish festivals? Some are shadows fulfilled in the NEW COVANANT some are yet to be fulfilled. Not sure what your question has to do with the OP however. Did you have something to share in relation to the OP?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Copper why do you feel a need to keep the ANNUAL Jewish festivals? Some are shadows fulfilled in the NEW COVANANT some are yet to be fulfilled. Not sure what your question has to do with the OP however. Did you have something to share in relation to the OP?

I never said I did keep the annual festivals. But those that are so convinced that everyone else is wrong for not observing a literal 7th day Sabbath, I never see them acknowledge the annual feasts which are part of the same text as the Sabbath in Leviticus 23. Seems they want to play smorgasbord games they accuse others of.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I never said I did keep the annual festivals. But those that are so convinced that everyone else is wrong for not observing a literal 7th day Sabbath, I never see them acknowledge the annual feasts which are part of the same text as the Sabbath in Leviticus 23. Seems they want to play smorgasbord games they accuse others of.

Some keep them. I do not judge them. The annual feasts are not the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of sin *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7. Did you have anything to share in relation to the OP?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If our trust is in Jesus, then through the power of his Holy Spirit, we are not in violation of any commandments. It is not about what we do, but what he does through us.

I am pretty sure nobody here has been arguing the following

"do not take God's name in vain.. and while doing that - make sure you are not in obedience through the Gospel, New Birth, Holy Spirit, new creation... just be sure you are doing it on your own as a lost person".

I am pretty sure we all agree that the above is not one of the two sides in this debate.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I don't keep any of the annual feast days of Lev 23 because in Hebrews 10:5-8 we are told that all the rituals that are based in animal sacrifices and offerings ended at the cross.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In depth bible study is also not being so enamored by laws and rituals and ceremonies to miss the point of the entire message

Indeed there is no such thing as "do not take God's name in vain -- but while doing that make sure you miss the point entirely".

There is also no such thing as "do not take God's name in vain -- but only in some abstract form where in real life you can curse and swear by God's name all day long while claiming to actually obey that command in some spiritual-sense"

No such thing as "keeping the law by breaking it" God is not honored by such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If our trust is in Jesus, then through the power of his Holy Spirit, we are not in violation of any commandments.

If that translates to "really not taking God's name in vain -- in real life" and not merely -- imagining that one is not taking God's name in vain - while in real life cursing and swearing by His name... then... "yes" that statement you have made is most certainly true.

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't keep any of the annual feast days of Lev 23 because in Hebrews 10:5-8 we are told that all the rituals that are based in animal sacrifices and offerings ended at the cross.

It also says that Yeshua is our Sabbath rest.

Colossians 2:16-17 (NASB) Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Hebrews 4:9-10 (NASB) So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

All the feast days, including the Sabbath, was pointing us to Yeshua. The very words of Leviticus23:2...

Leviticus 23:2 (NKJV Strong's) “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘The feasts of the Lord, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, these are My feasts.

Holy Convocations is Miqra in Hebrew which has the meaning of a rehearsals, appointments, etc. The feasts, including the Sabbath, are rehearsals of the future (when Leviticus was written) coming Messiah. Yeshua Himself said that all the Torah was written of Him.

He is our passover lamb, He is the first fruits of the resurrection, He is the head of the Ekklesia (the Shavuot offering which is the only allowed offering baked with leaven, which symbolizes the Gentiles being brought into the fold), He will be our awaking blast (Yom Teruah), He is our Day of Atonement, and He will Tabernacle among us. And He is our Sabbath rest. Everything pointed to Yeshua. And in Him, all is fulfilled.

While you may think that such things ended at the Cross, in the Millennial Kingdom sacrifices will again be offered at the Temple, and everyone will be required to observe the Feast of Tabernacles. There is definite repercussions for those that don't. The prophets were either lying or it is real.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
If that translates to "really not taking God's name in vain -- in real life" and not merely -- imagining that one is not taking God's name in vain - while in real life cursing and swearing by His name... then... "yes" that statement you have made is most certainly true.

No, it translates into the transforming power of the Holy Spirit. Not sure what cursing has to do with anything.

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Actually, the Hebrew behind taking the Lord's name in vain has more to do with how we represent or carry His name. Those that claim the Lord, if they do not represent the Lord properly, they are taking or representing His name irreverently or profanely. It has far broader meaning than just a swear word.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Hebrew behind taking the Lord's name in vain has more to do with how we represent or carry His name. Those that claim the Lord, if they do not represent the Lord properly, they are taking or representing His name irreverently or profanely. It has far broader meaning than just a swear word.

Hello Copper, I agree with this but also say it can be both. Anything that we do that does not represent how God wants his people to act is taking God's name in vain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.