Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was sinless, which means that he kept the entire Law perfectly, not just the Ten Commandments. All of God's Laws are moral commands and were given to teach us how to walk in His ways. The Ten Commandments were what the Mosaic Covenant was originally intended to be, but that covenant was never made. It was based upon the condition that the people would hear God's voice and obey (Exodus 19:5), but upon hearing God's voice, the people got cold feet and decided that they wanted God to speak to Moses and to listen to him instead, which was less than ideal, but God nevertheless agreed to this different covenant. It was a exactly like someone saving his damsel in distress out of bondage in Egypt, proposing to her, and with her agreeing, but on the day of her wedding deciding that she only wanted to interact with her husband through a mediator, which he nevertheless agreed to out of his love for her, but Moses could not be everywhere, so that quickly led to problems that would not have happened if the people had been listening to God's voice. In lieu of the people being directed by God voice in how to walk in His ways, it then became necessary for Moses to write down those instructions (Deuteronomy 5:22-33).

The ceremonial laws instruct us how to act in accordance with God's holiness, so they can only be done away with if God's eternal holiness is first done away with. Crosses were never used as a means of disposing of laws, but rather what was written on crosses were the violations of the law or the charges against the person being crucified in order to explain why they were being crucified (Matthew 27:37). This fits perfectly with the concept of the charges against us or the violations of God's Law that we have committed were nailed to Christ's cross and he died in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but does not fit at all with doing away with God's holy, righteous, and good Law.

To fulfill the law means "to cause God's will (as made known in the Law) to be obeyed as it should be" (NAS 2c) and after Jesus said he came to fulfill the law, this precisely what Jesus proceeded to do six times throughout the rest of Matthew 5. According to Galatians 5:14, anyone who has ever loved their neighbor has fulfilled the entire law, so it is something that countless people have done, which means that it does not refer to something unique that Jesus did, and certainly not to doing away with God's eternal laws. Likewise, Galatians 6:2 says that bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, which refers to obeying it as it should be obeyed, not to doing away with. In Romans 15:18-19, it says that Paul fulfilled the Gospel, which referred to causing the Gentiles to become fully obedient to it in word and in deed, not to doing away with it.

Jesus warned that those who relaxed the least of the laws or taught others to do the same will be called least in the Kingdom, while those who obey the Law and teach others to do the same will be called great in the Kingdom, so this is something we need to take seriously. Heaven and earth are still here and not all has been accomplished, so God's eternal laws are still in effect. There is nothing in the Bible that speaks about completing the Law by perfectly obeying it, there is nothing in Matthew 5 that indicates that Jesus was referring to his death, and nothing that he said about his death that indicates that he would do away with any of God's eternal laws.

According to Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that what He commanded was not too difficult for us, but that His Word is near us, in our mouth and in our heart so that we can obey it, and Romans 10:5-8 quotes this passage in regard to what our faith says, so to say that we are not able to keep God's Law is to call Him a liar and to deny what our faith says. In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from the Law, but to free us from all Lawlessness and to purify for himself a people who are zealous for doing good works. So Jesus freed us from sin so that we could be free to obey the Law and thereby meet its righteous requirement (Romans 8:3-4). We have not been given the righteousness of God said that we will hide it under a bushel, but so that we will let it shine, which is in accordance with God's instructions for that as given in His Law and in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow.

Indeed, the one and only way that there has ever been to become righteous is through faith, and by there same faith we are therefore required to be careful to obey all of God's commands. God's commands were not given to teach how to act like Jews, but to teach His followers how to walk in His ways. It wouldn't make any sense for Gentiles to say that God has given instructions to His followers for how to follow him, and we should become His followers, but should not follow those instructions because they were only given to His followers and not to people like us who were not his followers.

The Law was given for many reasons....the main reason He gave it was to show us we can’t keep it....who cries out for a Saviour until he sees in his heart that he needs one...Paul compared the law to one who takes us by the hand and leads us to Christ.....at that point the law has done its job and is written on our hearts by The Holy Spirit.
Paul Said two things save us. Christ’s blood and our faith.practice faith,the same thing that got you started and God will put His Spirit in you and that Spirit will change you in spite of yourself.if you are intent on Law-keeping at least go about it the right way.quit trying so hard...give God a chance to live His life THROUGH YOU.The great paradox of Christianity—-the less you try ,the better you do...let go and let God...end of sermon. Lol.....God bless

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
?

But the post said betrothal was marriage.

Scripture does not support that opinion:

Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

The whole point of this verse is to show that they were not yet married nor had they had marital relations yet.

G3423
μνηστεύω
mnēsteuō
mnace-tyoo'-o
From a derivative of G3415; to give a souvenir (engagement present), that is, betroth: - espouse.

They were engaged to be married.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mary was “ with child”. Joseph was certain that Mary had done wrong.He was certainof this until the Angel convinced him otherwise..in the interim hadJoseph been a good law- keeper,he would have seen to it that Mary would be stoned to death....that was THE LAW.!...Fortunatly for all concerned Joseph ignored THE LAW and chose compassion instead.Love and compassion will always trump law..anyone got any other examples to show what God really wants....seems to me an ounce of kindness and compassion is worth more than 50 lbs of law-keeping

Of course Mary was a virgin....

I'm not a rooter for law or against law, but we are to follow Christ, and He tells us what to do -- love -- by His command to us. It matters not whether you or I call love-in-action the 'law of Christ' as Paul did in Galatians 6. It's what we do if we believe.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think about this for a minute, by the thread title your saying the God who never changed and is the same yesterday, today, and forever Hebrews 13:

Not at all....the title is meant to be ironic....also I wanted to draw some attention...it worked

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Joseph was married.

Matt 1
[18] Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph

Matt 1
[19] Then Joseph her husband,
Luke 1
[27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph
Luke 2
[5] To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

God Bless,
SBC

They were engaged not married. The word for husband there simply means "man". In this case the KJV is incorrect since they were not yet married. The Greek word for espoused means to be engaged, a status prior to being married.

• Agree
Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Law was given for many reasons....the main reason He gave it was to show us we can’t keep it....who cries out for a Saviour until he sees in his heart that he needs one...Paul compared the law to one who takes us by the hand and leads us to Christ.....at that point the law has done its job and is written on our hearts by The Holy Spirit.
Paul Said two things save us. Christ’s blood and our faith.practice faith,the same thing that got you started and God will put His Spirit in you and that Spirit will change you in spite of yourself.if you are intent on Law-keeping at least go about it the right way.quit trying so hard...give God a chance to live His life THROUGH YOU.The great paradox of Christianity—-the less you try ,the better you do...let go and let God...end of sermon. Lol.....God bless

I can quote many verses that speak about the Law being given to teach us how to walk in God's ways, whereas you can't quote a single verse that says that even one of the reasons that the law was given was to show us that we can't keep it, and furthermore, I can quote verses that say the exact opposite. In Deuteronomy 30:11-14, God said that what He commanded was not too difficult for us, but that His Word is near us, in our mouth an in our hearts so that we can obey it, and Romans 10:5-8 quotes this passage in regard to what our faith says, so to say that we can't keep the Law is to call God a liar and to deny what our faith says. The purpose of the Law revealing our sin only has significance insofar as it leads us to repent and to turn back to walking in God's ways.

According to John 5:46, Jesus said that Moses wrote about him, according to Luke 24:27, Jesus began with Moses and the Prophets interpreting to them all of the things in Scripture concerning himself, in Hebrews 10:7, it says that the volume of the scroll is written about Jesus, and in Romans 10:4 a relationship with Christ is the goal of the Law for righteousness for everyone who has faith, so the Law leads to Christ because it is entirely about him and how to have a relationship with him based on faith and love. According to Ezekiel 36:26-27, the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's Law, so God's Law is how God lives His life through us. According to Romans 8:4-7, it is the carnal mind that refused to submit to God's Law in contrast with walking in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course Mary was a virgin....

I'm not a rooter for law or against law, but we are to follow Christ, and He tells us what to do -- love -- by His command to us. It matters not whether you or I call love-in-action the 'law of Christ' as Paul did in Galatians 6. It's what we do if we believe.

The one who was the man that God sent to teach the Gospel said that we are to follow Paul—-as Paul followed Christ....trust me.....it’s in there

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The one who was the man that God sent to teach the Gospel said that we are to follow Paul—-as Paul followed Christ....trust me.....it’s in there

Christ and Paul both walked in obedience to the Law...will you follow them?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The one who was the man that God sent to teach the Gospel said that we are to follow Paul—-as Paul followed Christ....trust me.....it’s in there[/Q

Paul said if we could keep the Law,,Christ died in vain.."there’s one “non -existent” Verse for my side....there are more

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Paul said if we could keep the Law,,Christ died in vain.."there’s one “non -existent” Verse for my side....there are more

Then you believe that Paul thought God lied then and denied what our faith says? However, it does not say that if we could keep the Law, then Christ died in vain, but rather it says if righteousness could be gained by the Law, the Christ died in vain. I'll look forward to more non-existent verses from you.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christ and Paul both walked in obedience to the Law...will you follow them?

Jesus could have gone Down a list of 613 laws when the disciples asked Jesus what on earth God wantedout of us...He Said to “ Believe on the OneGod sent and if you will confess My Name before man, I will confess you before my Father.....that’s Good enough for me.
Paul said if you want to be saved , Believe His Gospel...the one found in 1Cor:15....that works for me also

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus could have gone Down a list of 613 laws when the disciples asked Jesus what on earth God wantedout of us...He Said to “ Believe on the OneGod sent and if you will confess My Name before man, I will confess you before my Father.....that’s Good enough for me.

Saying that we need to believe on the One God sent is meaningless without understanding what we are supposed to believe about him. For example, if you believe that he gave himself to redeem us from all Lawlessness (Titus 2:14), then he doesn't need to list every single law, and you should not return to the Lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem you from. If you believe that Jesus is Lord, then you should submit to Him as Lord.

Paul said if you want to be saved , Believe His Gospel...the one found in 1Cor:15....that works for me also

Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17, 4:23), and the Law was given to reveal what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to God's Law is an integral part of the Gospel message. Paul's Gospel message also involved teaching repentance from our sins and bringng the Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed (Romans 15:18-19), so he was on the same page as Jesus, are you?

FYI, I'm not sure if you saw this post: The Law loses again..God must be angry!

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mary was “ with child”. Joseph was certain that Mary had done wrong.He was certainof this until the Angel convinced him otherwise..in the interim hadJoseph been a good law- keeper,he would have seen to it that Mary would be stoned to death....that was THE LAW.!...Fortunatly for all concerned Joseph ignored THE LAW and chose compassion instead.Love and compassion will always trump law..anyone got any other examples to show what God really wants....seems to me an ounce of kindness and compassion is worth more than 50 lbs of law-keeping

That is absolutely not the message. Joseph was ordered by the will of God, for the will of God is the Law and the Prophets. Joseph was not swayed by love and compassion, he was ordered by the Law of God's will.

It amazes me how the western mind tries to juxtapose everything to match with their world view, owing to their primary discourses.

What a misleading preposition to make, wouldn't you say?

Here is the misleading preposition....

"an ounce of kindness and compassion is worth more than 50 lbs of law-keeping"

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you believe that Paul thought God lied then and denied what our faith says? However, it does not say that if we could keep the Law, then Christ died in vain, but rather it says if righteousness could be gained by the Law, the Christ died in vain. I'll look forward to more non-existent verses from you.

Great! I’ll keep them coming....stay tuned...reread your second sentence...you are making my argument ...to help you out I will even take your side....it means the same thing

“ but rather it says if righteousness could be could be gained by the Law, Christ died in vain”. How does that thought differ from what I said?...they both show the futility of law- keeping to be righteous before God...go ahead with your law-keeping ability to impress God on Judgement Day.....I’ll go with Gods grace and my faith... both items made available by the Blood of Jesus....both things that our messenger from Jesus said combine to save.God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Saying that we need to believe on the One God sent is meaningless without understanding what we are supposed to believe about him. For example, if you believe that he gave himself to redeem us from all Lawlessness (Titus 2:14), then he doesn't need to list every single law, and you should not return to the Lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem you from. If you believe that Jesus is Lord, then you should submit to Him as Lord.

Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17, 4:23), and the Law was given to reveal what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to God's Law is an integral part of the Gospel message. Paul's Gospel message also involved teaching repentance from our sins and bringng the Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed (Romans 15:18-19), so he was on the same page as Jesus, are you?

FYI, I'm not sure if you saw this post: The Law loses again..God must be angry!

Who is making up Scripture now?

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me an ounce of kindness andcompassion is worth more than 50 lbs of law-keeping
All I am trying to say in this thread is that the spirit of the law....love FAITH and justice....is more important to God than trying to keep the law for Commandments for righteousness
Nobody kept the Law better than the Pharisees,yet God justified the poor publican that cried out.....God have mercy on me,a sinner.....he did all he had to do to be saved.....I wanna be saved too! Thank God His Law showed me my need for mercy.In my life,theLaw did it’s job.....God did the rest

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Humans loose when they think that they can continue in their lifestyles of making God angry, by thinking that Grace will continue, without any recourse to Justice being executed.

3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”

5But they deliberately overlook the fact that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6through which the world of that time perished in the flood.7And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. (2 Peter 3:3)

In the times we are living, we are going to witness justice being executed, after Grace had been given ample time. Jesus is not coming to shake hands with the world and the deluded reprobates, rather he is going to execute the will of God as the Almighty Judge. Peter tells it the way it will go down in this deceitful, wicked and vial age we are living in, where worldly love and compassion are those things that certainly anger God and the wicked know the hurt they cause him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Great! I’ll keep them coming....stay tuned...reread your second sentence...you are making my argument ...to help you out I will even take your side....it means the same thing

“ but rather it says if righteousness could be could be gained by the Law, Christ died in vain”. How does that thought differ from what I said?...they both show the futility of law- keeping to be righteous before God...go ahead with your law-keeping ability to impress God on Judgement Day.....I’ll go with Gods grace and my faith... both items made available by the Blood of Jesus....both things that our messenger from Jesus said combine to save.God bless

Keeping the Law never granted righteousness because it was never given for that purpose, so it doesn't follow that because we can't obtain righteousness by keeping the Law that therefore we can't keep it, especially when God said that it is not too difficult for us. So when God said that I can keep it and you say that I can't, I'm going to have faith in what God said and choose life. If you don't have faith, if you refuse to come under God's grace, and would prefer to choose death, then it is your choice to disregard the Law, though it won't help you on Judgement Day. In Psalms 119:29, David asked God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey God's Law, so do you think that he had a correct understanding of how to go with God's grace?

Who is making up Scripture now?

I quoted Titus 2:14 to support my position, so I'm not sure why you are trying to imply that I am the one who is making up Scripture, especially when you have yet to quote a single verse to support your position.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all....the title is meant to be ironic....also I wanted to draw some attention...it worked

Still by saying the law was trumped, it implies that God can change. The law was followed and even Christ did not abolish the law but condensed into two elements.

Upvote 0