United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is God. And that's why Heb 1 can tell us:

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word."

And that's why Jesus' revelation is definitive. Our problem is that we can't...or don'...or won't, necessarily recognize that divinity when we're shown it. But those who did comprehend , to the best they could, were/are changed by that light.
What to you is the radiance of God's glory?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There's no answer to why; He just is. Other than the fact the that there can be no greater or more glorious attribute, perhaps.
I disagree. It's because His law makes Him who He is. It's the foundation of His character.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is God. And that's why Heb 1 can tell us:

"In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word."

And that's why Jesus' revelation is definitive. Our problem is that we can't...or don'...or won't, necessarily recognize that divinity when we're shown it. But those who did comprehend , to the best they could, were/are changed by that light.
That reminded me of this passage

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. It's because His law makes Him who He is. It's the foundation of His character.
I'm not sure I'd agree, but maybe. Just some thoughts:

The law is originally written in all men's hearts but it's been dimmed, obscured, overridden, and ignored since the fall when man began to be his own law, operating according to his own opinion, IOW. Augustine said this about the "revealed law", "God wrote on tablets of stone that which man failed to read in his heart."

God's law for man has been called the "natural law", the will of God for us, according to His wisdom. And as we're made in the image of God, it could be said that the law would reflect His nature in one way or another. Certainly the law is based on love, which is why the greatest commandments are what they are, and why it's true to say that "love fulfills the law".

Jesus was fully human and fulfilled the law perfectly. always obeying the Father- as all humans are meant to do.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure I'd agree, but maybe. Just some thoughts:

The law is originally written in all men's hearts but it's been dimmed, obscured, overridden, and ignored since the fall when man began to be his own law, operating according to his own opinion, IOW. Augustine said this about the "revealed law", "God wrote on tablets of stone that which man failed to read in his heart."

God's law for man has been called the "natural law", the will of God for us, according to His wisdom. And as we're made in the image of God, it could be said that the law would reflect His nature in one way or another. Certainly the law is based on love, which is why the greatest commandments are what they are, and why it's true to say that "love fulfills the law".

Jesus was fully human and fulfilled the law perfectly. always obeying the Father- as all humans are meant to do.
OK. We are coming close to complete agreement.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As YHVH Directs my steps, I serve Yahshua in Spirit and in Truth, and obey this command as far as I know to the letter (literally), and spiritually, as ABBA Reveals .
No more about this though, as this is the wrong place for such simple Truth.
Would you smash a fine China bowl if someone with a discharge touched it? I don't think you would.

Peace be with you, my brother :heart: Good to hear from you!

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you smash a fine China bowl if someone with a discharge touched it? I don't think you would.

Peace be with you, my brother :heart: Good to hear from you!
And you would limit the power of an infinite God to your own experience and say sin is more powerful than God and that the created being is greater than his creator?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you would limit the power of an infinite God to your own experience and say sin is more powerful than God and that the created being is greater than his creator?
No, I wouldn't do that.

I don't see how that relates to following the letter of a law about clean and unclean. Please explain, if you wish :heart:

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I wouldn't do that.

I don't see how that relates to following the letter of a law about clean and unclean. Please explain, if you wish :heart:
Because you objected to the clean and unclean laws before and I explained how they weren't using glazed pots in the desert and even wooden dishes only needed to be cleaned with water. Therefore your objections are based upon the idea that God is unfair which, if He is, would make Him a sinner. So that makes the original sinner, Lucifer, and sin, more powerful than God.

I really don't understand why these concepts are so difficult for you to understand as they are very straightforward.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because you objected to the clean and unclean laws before and I explained how they weren't using glazed pots in the desert and even wooden dishes only needed to be cleaned with water. Therefore your objections are based upon the idea that God is unfair which, if He is, would make Him a sinner. So that makes the original sinner, Lucifer, and sin, more powerful than God.

I really don't understand why these concepts are so difficult for you to understand as they are very straightforward.
What you're saying isn't hard for me to understand, but I believe your conclusion is in error.

In the post I was responding to initially, the poster said that he was obeying
...this command as far as I know to the letter (literally)...

Here's the text of the law

It doesn't specify the condition of the clay pot, nor does it use the word "dish".

We can say that it means unglazed earthenware and is referring only to wooden dishes. In that case, we're dealing with the meaning. We're not following it "to the letter" or "literally".

And that's fine! That's what I do, as well... follow the meaning of the law. I do not object to keeping the meaning of the clean and unclean laws :)

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you're saying isn't hard for me to understand, but I believe your conclusion is in error.

In the post I was responding to initially, the poster said that he was obeying

Here's the text of the law

It doesn't specify the condition of the clay pot, nor does it use the word "dish".

We can say that it means unglazed earthenware and is referring only to wooden dishes. In that case, we're dealing with the meaning. We're not following it "to the letter" or "literally".

And that's fine! That's what I do, as well... follow the meaning of the law. I do not object to keeping the meaning of the clean and unclean laws :)

The problem is that the Ten Commandments are not mans law but Gods, which puts it on a level of its own.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that the Ten Commandments are not mans law but Gods, which puts it on a level of its own.
It's fine if you want to talk about separating man's law and God's law. If God's law is more than just the Ten Commandments, then I'd ask you to be specific.

For example, what is the first God's law that we come to in The Book of Leviticus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums