Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Isn't it ironic that when Jesus came the first time that everyone was expecting something very different from the Messiah?

For example, many believed that the prophecy from Isaiah was to be taken literal and that He would devour His enemies with fire from His mouth. These people wanted war and wanted the Roman rule of Israel to end. They believed the Messiah would be a great leader and begin the fight to take back Israel and their 'freedom.' They were quite wrong.

Barabbas was a key figure that tried to provoke Jesus into fighting and to drop His message of peace. In fact this is where we get the term, "turn the other cheek." As Jesus taught when slapped to turn your other cheek to your enemy. His teaching was that the only way to overcome hate was with love and forgiveness.

Now with that being said, how is it that there were so many blood-thirsty christians throughout history? How was Christianity used as a means of war? Now I'm not talking about the early centuries when the masses were not able to attain copies of the Bible to study Jesus' teachings for themselves. You can study nazi Germany and wonder how in the world the christians there bought into the 3rd reicht in its early stages before they gained complete power and control.

What I do NOT understand is how so many fall for the same garbage today. I mean any time I point to Christ's teaching on peace and using love, patience and forgiveness to overcome violence and hate people get so angry. I get comments from followers of Christ like, "I AM SO TIRED OF THIS KOOM-BAH-YAH LOVEY DOVEY MESS!!!" and "I REMEMBER SEEING THE VIDEO OF THE HEAD CUT OFF OF THE REPORTER!!!!"

Which is it folks?

Now since I mentioned it, of course I do not condone the killing a reporter; And yes it was in a sick and twisted manner. It's unfathomable that a human being could actually slowly kill another in that manner. In fact, TO ME, it's unfathomable to kill another human being at all. Of course I've been tempted; of course I've had the same hateful toughts as others when wronged or have seen an innocent person killed. Of course my flesh wants to strap on twenty guns and take revenge in anger. But this is the preseverence of the saints is it not? That we don't follow the lust and quick-angered ways of the world and our own flesh. "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord" Not vengeance belongs to this nation or that nation. Yet, on the other side of the coin, if a nation has the power and people to stop torture and fascist rule then they should right? But then again, who sold those nations the weapons they have in the first place? See how grayer and grayer things are becoming instead of black and white? The space between black and white is getting larger and larger and foggier and foggier. This is just another reason that He must be returning soon.

To me, only through demonic possession could a human being saw off the head of another human being. And doing it on tape to rile up the world and get the fuses of war lit. When will it end if we keep falling for it? And how do we fight the principalities of the air if they keep possessing and controlling wicked men over and over and causing war after war?

And to the Christians that post in here very often that do not believe He's ever returning except for each individual believer when they die; What do we do if He's not returning? Since you seem to have all the answers as far as His not returning... what then? What do we do then? And what is our hope in this world? Then the only thing we have to look forward to is.... death! "To live is Christ and to die is gain"

timlamb

Senior Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Entiat Washington
✟11,480.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You made so many statements I am going to treat most of the questions as rhetorical. But what of prophecy and the world condition? If Jesus promised His return, we take Him at his word. the prophecy is our hope, our promise of renewal. But even if all there was was life after death, that life eternaly with God is all we need.

Trust the Lord, hold Him to His promises.

Some people get confused because we have a first century man trying to describe twenty first century things, and some imagery was used, it doesn't mean the book as a whole is not quite litteral. And I think the Lord would rather we take it to litteral than to dismiss it for lack of understanding.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to the Christians that post in here very often that do not believe He's ever returning except for each individual believer when they die; What do we do if He's not returning? Since you seem to have all the answers as far as His not returning... what then? What do we do then? And what is our hope in this world? Then the only thing we have to look forward to is.... death! "To live is Christ and to die is gain"
You've got the wrong forum. No one on this forum believes Christ will not return. You're thinking full-preterism, not orthodox preterism. Ask those questions on the Unorthdox Theology forum.

And as a Christian with an orthodox preterist eschatology, I certainly don't believe I have all the answers. Far from it.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no trouble separating the actions of a nation from the actions of individuals within that nation. As a nation, the USA should take actions to defend its national interests, and I support them or not, based on what I feel is just and right and good for America. As a Christian, I believe I should support non-violence in my personal life.

Problems arise if we start thinking of America as a "Christian Nation". If that were true, if it even could be true, then of course it would be wrong to make war on other nations. The CIA would probably be wrong ("provide things honest in the sight of all men"). I can think of several other aspects of government that could be called sinful.

Thank God we're not a "Christian Nation".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.