Why king of the North destroyed - Putin sincere?

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LNG terminals in Netherlands receive a lot of liquefied gas from the USA.
You do know we halted LNG terminal projects and the Red Sea disruption will limit supply and increase cost to the EU. Have you thought about what climate change policies will do to the production of fossil fuels? Energy is what keeps us comfortable with our standard of living unless we all go back to the 18/19 century. So I do believe part of this Assyrian invasion will be for energy.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I do not know that. Do you mean just the pause of the approval for new projects?

We have paused building additional terminals to appease the activists (votes) who criticize his green policies and other countries around the world. This has been going on in politics for some time and since CO2 and now methane have been increasing in the atmosphere policies will change.

From your article: Even this will change in the future.
"Sefcovic said, adding Biden's order last month contains an emergency clause should supplies in U.S. allies and partners be in danger."

From Vox: If the climate keeps warming our people will want to stop all production and our politicians will worry about themselves before they worry about the EU.

"The challenge with natural gas is that it takes up a lot of volume, making it difficult to ship overseas, at least in its gas form. To send natural gas abroad, producers instead chill it to minus 260 degrees Fahrenheit, turning it into a liquid that is 600 times smaller in volume.

But it takes a lot of energy to liquefy gas, pump it into a tanker, cross an ocean, and then turn it back into a gas on the other end. So, the overall cost is higher, the total greenhouse gas emissions are greater, and the net amount of energy provided is lower with LNG compared to conventional natural gas"
"But some environmental activists say this paints too optimistic a picture. For gas importers like the United Kingdom, LNG has a greenhouse gas footprint four times larger than gas extracted locally. Methane is itself a heat-trapping gas, about 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide, so small leaks from gas infrastructure — as little as 0.2 percent — can quickly overwhelm any environmental advantages."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is becoming clear why all nations might come against Israel. That is a sign Jesus gave of the endtime. Jerusalem surrounded by armies.

Why do you believe that's a sign of the end times?

Jerusalem was surrounded by armies two thousand years ago, it resulted in the destruction of the Temple, which is the context of what the Lord was talking about.

What is not yet clear is why God would destroy Russia's forces (and co) to stop them.

I don't understand this question. Who said God was going to do that?

Watching the Tucker Carlson/Putin interview I found it hard to read Putin's true nature.

Tucker Carlson is a grifter. And Putin is a monster.

On the surface he has several seemingly Christian oriented policies. Pro family, protect Russia from lgbtq agenda etc.

It may be helpful to look to see what the Bible has to say about Christian values and virtues here. Being "pro-family" and "anti-LGBTQ" are not [specifically] Christian policies or values. You can find those same positions promoted in Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu dominated cultures and societies as well.

Christianity is defined by what we confess about Jesus Christ, His Gospel, and the commandments of which the greatest is the love of God and neighbor. We should be getting our values and principles from God's word, not politics or policy.

Yet when Tucker asked him about being a Christian and how that aligns with his war etc I found the answer questionable. So, the point here is that IF the leader of Russia was totally lying and insincere and using a facade of Christianity for whatever reasons (like gaining trust of Russian people) I could see reasons for God doing what Eze prophesies. (wiping them out when they try invading Israel)

The Prophet Ezekiel never mentions Russia.

But Vladimir Putin is a dictator, a monster, and an oppressor of the Russian people; an enemy of freedom and liberty. Whether Putin has faith in Christ is something only God knows; but we also know--from Scripture--that everyone will have to face Judgment on the Last Day. Every single one of us will have to give account for the things we said, thought, felt, and did. It's not my job to judge Putin's (or any other person's) eternal fate; but the Scriptures are clear about Judgment, and are clear about what is just and what is evil. Therefore the Church must uncompromisingly preach repentance, even as she also uncompromisingly preaches the grace and comfort of the Holy Gospel.

So if that were the case, we have a motive for invading Israel (the slaughter of civilians in Palestine) and a reason for God to wipe them out (if Putin or a successor were completely lying and not right with God)

Thoughts?

I see no reason to believe that Russia has any intent to invade Israel.
I see no reason to believe that God is going to wipe out Russia.
I see no reason to believe that modern day Israel is theologically, prophetically, and/or eschatologically relevant.

But even as Putin will one day have to stand before the Throne of Christ in Judgment; so will Israel's military and civil leaders responsible for the slaughter of Palestinians; and the monsters in control of Hamas will have to stand before Judgment for their slaughter of Israelis and others. Just as you and I will have to stand before the Throne of Judgment on that coming day to give answer to every work, every thought, every word, and every wicked impulse we ever had; for every secret thing done in the dark must be exposed to the light.

And the only way any of us is passing from this side of Judgment to the other, is the mercy and hope of Christ in the Gospel; for Christ came to save sinners, and we are indeed the chief of sinners.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I thought the reference to the Gog/ Magog war was a reference to Russia and friends in Ezekiel. But I'm no scholar.

That's a popular opinion among some Dispensationalist types. But it's mere speculation at best. Gog/Magog have no obvious or clear identity in Scripture; and so may simply be a generic reference to Israel's enemies (and, in the Apocalypse, those forces which are opposed to the Church). There have always been, and always will be, the wicked machinations of sinful human beings; and the Faithful have always, and will continue, to suffer in this world for Christ has promised us this would be the case. But the day is coming when Christ will return as Judge, and all who have sown wickedness will reap what they have sown. And we who trust in Christ ought to, in light of the knowledge of Judgment, humbly repent, confess our sin, trust in the mercies of God--for by grace and only grace do we have hope and salvation; and must therefore cling to the mercy of God in Christ with faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why do you believe that's a sign of the end times?
Luke 21:20
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Jerusalem was surrounded by armies two thousand years ago, it resulted in the destruction of the Temple, which is the context of what the Lord was talking about.
No. Jesus specifies exactly what this is about
Luke 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

You thought all things were already fulfilled?
Tucker Carlson is a grifter. And Putin is a monster.
Tucker seems fine to me. Putin might win an election over Biden in some places.
It may be helpful to look to see what the Bible has to say about Christian values and virtues here. Being "pro-family" and "anti-LGBTQ" are not [specifically] Christian policies or values.
Yes, they are. We are to teach and care for family. Etc God also told us to avoid certain things and showed clearly that some thing carry judgments from Him.
You can find those same positions promoted in Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu dominated cultures and societies as well.
There are some basic sane values shared in many religions. That does not make them able to save us or correct on all points.
Christianity is defined by what we confess about Jesus Christ, His Gospel, and the commandments of which the greatest is the love of God and neighbor. We should be getting our values and principles from God's word, not politics or policy.
Also keeping His commandments. That doesn't save us or keep us saved, but it demonstrates we are saved.
The Prophet Ezekiel never mentions Russia.
There was no Russia then. However, there was north etc.
But Vladimir Putin is a dictator, a monster, and an oppressor of the Russian people; an enemy of freedom and liberty.
If so, then God will deal with the guy. However on some points, he shines brighter than the US regime. I notice the US supports the genocide and terrorism of Gaza as well. (an the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of people in Ukraine as cannon fodder)
Whether Putin has faith in Christ is something only God knows; but we also know--from Scripture--that everyone will have to face Judgment on the Last Day. No. The judgment of believers is more of a reward festival. Not to be compared with the vengeance and wrath to come.

Every single one of us will have to give account for the things we said, thought, felt, and did. It's not my job to judge Putin's (or any other person's) eternal fate; but the Scriptures are clear about Judgment, and are clear about what is just and what is evil. Therefore the Church must uncompromisingly preach repentance, even as she also uncompromisingly preaches the grace and comfort of the Holy Gospel.

I see no reason to believe that Russia has any intent to invade Israel.
I see no reason to believe that God is going to wipe out Russia.
I see no reason to believe that modern day Israel is theologically, prophetically, and/or eschatologically relevant.
I see no reason to think that whatever you do or do not see reasons for matters much. God will put His hook in their jaws and bring them down we are told.
But even as Putin will one day have to stand before the Throne of Christ in Judgment; so will Israel's military and civil leaders responsible for the slaughter of Palestinians; and the monsters in control of Hamas will have to stand before Judgment for their slaughter of Israelis and others. Just as you and I will have to stand before the Throne of Judgment on that coming day to give answer to every work, every thought, every word, and every wicked impulse we ever had; for every secret thing done in the dark must be exposed to the light.
The nations and wicked will stand in judgment before God. Believers will stand before Jesus to be rewarded according to works. Not to face eternal damnation or not.
And the only way any of us is passing from this side of Judgment to the other, is the mercy and hope of Christ in the Gospel; for Christ came to save sinners, and we are indeed the chief of sinners.

-CryptoLutheran
Christians are already being judged! Judgment begins in the house of God. He chastens every one that comes to Him. The judgment seat of Christ is after He takes us in the air to be with Him, and is not like the judgment of the wicked at all.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

No. Jesus specifies exactly what this is about
Luke 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

You thought all things were already fulfilled?

All that was prophesied about the destruction of Jerusalem and her Temple. Yes. That's all been fulfilled.

Tucker seems fine to me. Putin might win an election over Biden in some places.

I won't get into a tangent about Mr. Carlson. And yes, I'm sure you're right, Putin might win an election over Biden in some places. That isn't, however, is neither a glowing endorsement of Putin, nor a damning condemnation of Biden so much as it speaks to some troubling and deep problems in contemporary American politics.

Yes, they are. We are to teach and care for family. Etc God also told us to avoid certain things and showed clearly that some thing carry judgments from Him.

There are some basic sane values shared in many religions. That does not make them able to save us or correct on all points.

No one claimed there was salvation outside of Christianity, or that any other religion was correct. Only that these values/policies are not uniquely held by Christians. And shouldn't be presented as uniquely Christian.

Christian values should be dependent upon God's word, not the prevailing winds of political doctrine.

Also keeping His commandments. That doesn't save us or keep us saved, but it demonstrates we are saved.

For since we have received new birth from God, we have received what Lutheran theologians call "the new obedience"; the dead cannot walk, but only the living can do that; thus only the one who has faith can obey God. This is also where the idea of the Two Kinds of Righteousenss come into play; righteousness before God which is through faith alone (the received and imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ) whereas the righteousness we are to live actively before and in the midst of the world, by obedience to God's commandments. This new obedience we receive as God's children, and a new conscience and heart to desire the things of God urges us toward good works--for such good works we were created in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:10).

So yes, I fully agree in abiding in God's commandments--as I said. As our Lord Jesus Himself said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" and also, "They shall you are My disciples by the love you have for one another"; so that the follower of Jesus is defined both by faith and works: Faith in Christ by which alone we are justified on Christ's account by the Grace of God alone. And works which flow from faith, by the power of the Holy Spirit, who compels us and works upon and in us to love. Thus it is our love of God and love of our neighbor which sets us apart as a holy people chosen in Christ. Not a love which comes from our own sinful flesh, but a love which comes from God by the power of His grace through the indwelling and continued work and action of the Holy Spirit.

There was no Russia then. However, there was north etc.

There's actually quite a bit of north above ancient Israel/Judea. So it's worth considering what is intended in the text. There's no reason to claim it's Russia.

In the context of post-Exile Judea, especially after the conquest of Alexander the Great, there were two major powers surrounding Judea: The Seleucids to the north and the Ptolemies to the south.

I would consider this a more relevant and contextually meaningful approach to what Daniel is talking about: The conflicts between the Hellenistic kingdoms after Alexander's death and the Macedonian Empire's collapse into competing states (toes made of mixed iron and clay in the vision of the statue)

If so, then God will deal with the guy. However on some points, he shines brighter than the US regime. I notice the US supports the genocide and terrorism of Gaza as well. (an the sacrifice of hundreds of thousands of people in Ukraine as cannon fodder)

The US has plenty of faults, and a centuries-long history of problems. I can't think of how Putin outshines the US. The US has plenty of evil, and has had plenty of evil throughout its history; same with Russia, whether under the Tsars, the Soviets, or currently Putin's despotic and tyrannical regime.

But I can't imagine a scenario where Putin comes out on top compared to the US. To play my cards frankly, I consider the worst president to ever occupy the White House to be the guy who held it between 2016 and 2020; it's hard for me to imagine anyone more corrupt, more unfit to have taken that office. And yet, I don't think he was/is even a quarter as bad as Putin. Putin is truly a monster.

I see no reason to think that whatever you do or do not see reasons for matters much. God will put His hook in their jaws and bring them down we are told.

The nations and wicked will stand in judgment before God. Believers will stand before Jesus to be rewarded according to works. Not to face eternal damnation or not.

Christians are already being judged! Judgment begins in the house of God. He chastens every one that comes to Him. The judgment seat of Christ is after He takes us in the air to be with Him, and is not like the judgment of the wicked at all.

It's true that when we stand before the Throne on the Last Day it will be different for us than for the wicked; for we shall pass through Judgment, from death to life, the condemnation that stands against us in the form of God's Holy Law and Commandments which rightly and justly declare us deserving of death and hell shall not destroy us on that Day; for Christ shall carry us; for by the blood of the Lamb we enter in, and into the Land of Eternal Promise.

But we should do well to recognize that we must still face the truth of what we've said and done. The one who does not fear God is an impious person who makes their bed with the wicked. For our God is an all-consuming fire.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
All that was prophesied about the destruction of Jerusalem and her Temple. Yes. That's all been fulfilled.
As was already pointed out the context there is that it happens at the end when all things written will be fulfilled. Such as Him returning to earth etc
I won't get into a tangent about Mr. Carlson. And yes, I'm sure you're right, Putin might win an election over Biden in some places. That isn't, however, is neither a glowing endorsement of Putin, nor a damning condemnation of Biden so much as it speaks to some troubling and deep problems in contemporary American politics.
I would not give an endorsement to someone I don't know like Putin. As mentioned he does have some policies that are far more bible oriented.
No one claimed there was salvation outside of Christianity, or that any other religion was correct. Only that these values/policies are not uniquely held by Christians. And shouldn't be presented as uniquely Christian.
If they happen to also correlate with other beliefs in a majority Christian area, all the better.
Christian values should be dependent upon God's word, not the prevailing winds of political doctrine.
Right
For since we have received new birth from God, we have received what Lutheran theologians call "the new obedience"; the dead cannot walk, but only the living can do that; thus only the one who has faith can obey God. This is also where the idea of the Two Kinds of Righteousenss come into play; righteousness before God which is through faith alone (the received and imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ) whereas the righteousness we are to live actively before and in the midst of the world, by obedience to God's commandments. This new obedience we receive as God's children, and a new conscience and heart to desire the things of God urges us toward good works--for such good works we were created in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:10).

So yes, I fully agree in abiding in God's commandments--as I said. As our Lord Jesus Himself said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments" and also, "They shall you are My disciples by the love you have for one another"; so that the follower of Jesus is defined both by faith and works: Faith in Christ by which alone we are justified on Christ's account by the Grace of God alone. And works which flow from faith, by the power of the Holy Spirit, who compels us and works upon and in us to love. Thus it is our love of God and love of our neighbor which sets us apart as a holy people chosen in Christ. Not a love which comes from our own sinful flesh, but a love which comes from God by the power of His grace through the indwelling and continued work and action of the Holy Spirit.

Right. But even nominal believers should pretend to try to stick to the bible somewhat.
There's actually quite a bit of north above ancient Israel/Judea. So it's worth considering what is intended in the text. There's no reason to claim it's Russia.
Moscow is due north of Jerusalem. The context of prophesy seems to be the far north. I see no reason to claim it is not Russia. How about this - It is unknown, but is likely Russia?
In the context of post-Exile Judea, especially after the conquest of Alexander the Great, there were two major powers surrounding Judea: The Seleucids to the north and the Ptolemies to the south.
Prophesy is not limited to that slice of time and place. It deals with kings in the end time.
I would consider this a more relevant and contextually meaningful approach to what Daniel is talking about: The conflicts between the Hellenistic kingdoms after Alexander's death and the Macedonian Empire's collapse into competing states (toes made of mixed iron and clay in the vision of the statue)
The way prophesy often operates is that it talks of a situation happening at the time, then leaps far far into the future. Sometimes mid verse.
The US has plenty of faults, and a centuries-long history of problems. I can't think of how Putin outshines the US. The US has plenty of evil, and has had plenty of evil throughout its history; same with Russia, whether under the Tsars, the Soviets, or currently Putin's despotic and tyrannical regime.
Hard to hold up Tweedly dee over Tweedly dum. Both are worldly powers. The signature wickedness of Canada and the US and west lately has been the push against godly marriages and families and gender etc. On that score Russia comes out a little ahead in some ways.
But I can't imagine a scenario where Putin comes out on top compared to the US. To play my cards frankly, I consider the worst president to ever occupy the White House to be the guy who held it between 2016 and 2020; it's hard for me to imagine anyone more corrupt, more unfit to have taken that office. And yet, I don't think he was/is even a quarter as bad as Putin. Putin is truly a monster.
Trump at least stood for life to a greater extent than the sinister regime that has existed since. He also was not involved in agitating for war to the degree the present leaders (of the west as well as Canada and the US) are. But since Trump dropped the ball on the vaccination issue and had a gung ho blind support for godless unsaved Israel, and had a watered down support for godly sexual issues (to name some things) I would say he could not be viewed as some savior of the US. It seems like we are past that now.
It's true that when we stand before the Throne on the Last Day it will be different for us than for the wicked; for we shall pass through Judgment, from death to life, the condemnation that stands against us in the form of God's Holy Law and Commandments which rightly and justly declare us deserving of death and hell shall not destroy us on that Day; for Christ shall carry us; for by the blood of the Lamb we enter in, and into the Land of Eternal Promise.
Right.
But we should do well to recognize that we must still face the truth of what we've said and done. The one who does not fear God is an impious person who makes their bed with the wicked. For our God is an all-consuming fire.

Some will be ashamed of how little they did for Him and others will shine brightly. There is a wide range or rewards and lack of rewards for believers. My point is that regardless of rewards, they are saved.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As was already pointed out the context there is that it happens at the end when all things written will be fulfilled. Such as Him returning to earth etc

Let's take a gander:

"And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, He said, 'As for these things that you see, the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.' And they asked Him, 'Rabbi, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?'" - Luke 21:5-7

That's the context. Jesus said the days are coming when the Temple would be destroyed. He's not talking about His glorious parousia at the end of time, but the destruction that would come to Jerusalem and her Temple.

I would not give an endorsement to someone I don't know like Putin. As mentioned he does have some policies that are far more bible oriented.

And I think you are confusing and conflating "Bible-oriented" with a specific brand of American politics. They aren't the same thing.

If they happen to also correlate with other beliefs in a majority Christian area, all the better.

Right

Right. But even nominal believers should pretend to try to stick to the bible somewhat.

Moscow is due north of Jerusalem. The context of prophesy seems to be the far north. I see no reason to claim it is not Russia. How about this - It is unknown, but is likely Russia?

In the book of Daniel there's no mention of a "far north", it is merely north of Judea.

No, I don't think it is likely Russia. I have absolutely no reason to believe it is Russia or any other modern nation.

Prophesy is not limited to that slice of time and place. It deals with kings in the end time.

I disagree. It is talking about what would happen preceding the events of the Maccabean Revolt.

Compare what is written in Daniel about the king of the north with the historical account in the book of 1 Maccabees. It's pretty obvious that Daniel and 1 Maccabees are talking about the same things here.

The way prophesy often operates is that it talks of a situation happening at the time, then leaps far far into the future. Sometimes mid verse.

That's a terrible heremeneutic that completely invalidates doing exegesis by considering context. That's simply a way to make the Bible say anything we want.

Hard to hold up Tweedly dee over Tweedly dum. Both are worldly powers. The signature wickedness of Canada and the US and west lately has been the push against godly marriages and families and gender etc. On that score Russia comes out a little ahead in some ways.

Trump at least stood for life to a greater extent than the sinister regime that has existed since. He also was not involved in agitating for war to the degree the present leaders (of the west as well as Canada and the US) are. But since Trump dropped the ball on the vaccination issue and had a gung ho blind support for godless unsaved Israel, and had a watered down support for godly sexual issues (to name some things) I would say he could not be viewed as some savior of the US. It seems like we are past that now.

Right.

Some will be ashamed of how little they did for Him and others will shine brightly. There is a wide range or rewards and lack of rewards for believers. My point is that regardless of rewards, they are saved.

As I see it, you are overly focused on contemporary events and trying to make them fit somewhere in the Bible. But the timeless truth of Holy Scripture means that we can rely on it regardless of circumstance: because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

There will always be presidents, princes, and potentates; there will always be wars and rumors of wars, there will always be terrible things happening. Empires rise and empires fall. But the kingdom of our God is forever.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Let's take a gander:

"And while some were speaking of the temple, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings, He said, 'As for these things that you see, the days will come when there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.' And they asked Him, 'Rabbi, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?'" - Luke 21:5-7

That's the context. Jesus said the days are coming when the Temple would be destroyed. He's not talking about His glorious parousia at the end of time, but the destruction that would come to Jerusalem and her Temple.
Luke 21:8
And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

Luke 21:9
But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

Luke 21:10
Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

Luke 21:11
And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

(That is further pointed out to be the end time desolation Daniel spoke of elsewhere - But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:)
Here we see the time when they will need to flee, which is in the tribulation.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people
This further pinpoints the time as that time of wrath in the end.

It explains this is when He returns and the time for Gentiles is passed there
And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled

It also pinpoint this as the time the stars fall and etc in the end

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh
These things being what was said from verse 8

There is no possibility these things happened already
And I think you are confusing and conflating "Bible-oriented" with a specific brand of American politics. They aren't the same thing.
Men lying with men and women doing the same and people dressing as the other sex etc etc are not something invented by or restricted to the US, sorry (Oh, and human sacrifices)
In the book of Daniel there's no mention of a "far north", it is merely north of Judea.
Eze 39:2 and I will turn you around, drive you on, take you up from the remotest parts of the north and bring you against the mountains of Israel.

No, I don't think it is likely Russia. I have absolutely no reason to believe it is Russia or any other modern nation.
No nation involved? Ha
Compare what is written in Daniel about the king of the north with the historical account in the book of 1 Maccabees. It's pretty obvious that Daniel and 1 Maccabees are talking about the same things here.
No. Cite the passage?
As I see it, you are overly focused on contemporary events and trying to make them fit somewhere in the Bible.
The end time will have to fit into the events of the bible since that is what the prophesies are about!
There will always be presidents, princes, and potentates; there will always be wars and rumors of wars, there will always be terrible things happening. Empires rise and empires fall. But the kingdom of our God is forever.

-CryptoLutheran
There is a time spoken about when it all comes to a head and is most intense actually

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Luke 21:8
And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

Luke 21:9
But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

Luke 21:10
Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

Luke 21:11
And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

Has there ever been a time, between when our Lord said these things until now when these things have not been true? These things have been part of world history for the last two thousand years.

In Matthew the Lord calls them "birthpangs"; for a comparison with that, look at what St. Paul says in Romans about the groaning and subjugation of creation.

The things we see play out in the world--wars, conflicts, natural disasters; all of this evil, both human-caused and natural suffering, are the reality of our living in a broken, fallen, sin-soaked world. Creation itself is suffering, as though the world is experiencing the pains of childbirth. Now the thing about childbirth is that those pains precede something good.

Out of the pain of this present and fallen age is going to come the the good new world, the Age to Come, when God makes all things new. New heavens and new earth.

So when we see these things happen we do not fret, we do not say, "The end is nigh!" we remember that we live in a broken world, and we remember God's promises. For Christ who came and suffered, who was crucified, dead and buried, has risen from the grave; and what God has done for Christ He shall do for all who belong to Him. God's response to suffering and death is resurrection; so even creation itself longs for, looks forward to, the resurrection of the dead (Romans 8:19).

And, again, looking at the context, this is what happened in 70 AD when the Roman armies surrounded Jerusalem.

(That is further pointed out to be the end time desolation Daniel spoke of elsewhere - But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:)
Here we see the time when they will need to flee, which is in the tribulation.

I don't know why you believe this has anything to do with an "end time desolation". That isn't what the text says.

Jesus points to the desecration of the Temple spoken of by Daniel (a reference to what happened under the tyrannical rule of Antiochus IV of the Seleucid kingdom) and speaks of a desecration of the Temple yet to come. That desecration happened during the Jewish-Roman War, which culminated in the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple.

There's nothing "end times" about this.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people
This further pinpoints the time as that time of wrath in the end.

No, it simply points out the terrible things that are going to happen--things that already happened. It's why the Christians of Judea fled when they saw what was happening, they fled into the wilderness to hide from the conflict and destruction.

This, in fact, left a great deal of animosity toward Jewish Christians from non-Christian Jews who saw this as betrayal; for the Christians (though Jews) did not join their fellow Jews in the conflict, and instead hid away.

After the destruction of the Temple we see an addition to the traditional synagogue benedictions, a benediction against heretics. Prior to this, while Jewish Christians were at times targeted by local Jewish leaders, and at times driven out of the synagogue; the separation of Church and Synagogue was effectively complete after what happened in 70 AD. While Roman oppression had begun prior to the destruction of the Temple, in the form of the Neronian persecutions, prior to the destruction of the Temple much of the conflict the early Church experienced was religious conflict from religious leaders and unruly mobs. After the destruction of the Temple the chief antagonizing force for the Church was the Roman state. Beginning with Domitian (as witnessed to by St. John in the Revelation), but really getting a start with Trajan, reaching a climax under Diocletian.

It explains this is when He returns and the time for Gentiles is passed there
And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled

It also pinpoint this as the time the stars fall and etc in the end

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh
These things being what was said from verse 8

There is no possibility these things happened already

The talk of celestial bodies being shaken is a motif we see in Scripture that looks a lot like "pay attention" language. I want to draw your attention to the book of the Prophet Joel,

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out My Spirit.

And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.
" - Joel 2:28-32

I'm confident that you know already when and where this prophecy was fulfilled, because I'm confident you already know what happened on Pentecost as recorded in the Acts of the Apostles.

St. Peter, delivering his sermon to the gathered Jewish pilgrims witnessing the pouring out of the Holy Spirit, clearly testifies by the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit Himself, "this is what was uttered by the Prophet Joel" (Acts 2:16).

Yet notice, no where does the Acts record literal signs in the heavens, or the sun turning dark, or the moon to blood. But nevertheless Peter, by the divine inspiration and speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, declares these things fulfilled.

What this language does is tell us to pay attention; it's less about a literal sun being darkened or moon turning to blood and instead "This is important, pay attention, God is going to do something huge"--and that's exactly what happened on Pentecost.

Now take this lesson, and now read the apocalyptic language Jesus uses in the Olivet Discourse.

Men lying with men and women doing the same and people dressing as the other sex etc etc are not something invented by or restricted to the US, sorry (Oh, and human sacrifices)

Eze 39:2 and I will turn you around, drive you on, take you up from the remotest parts of the north and bring you against the mountains of Israel.

No nation involved? Ha

No. Cite the passage?

"The king also sent messengers with a decree to Jerusalem and all the towns of Judea, ordering the people to follow customs that were foreign to the country. He ordered them not to offer burnt offerings, grain offerings, or wine offerings in the Temple, and commanded them to treat Sabbaths and festivals as ordinary work days. They were even ordered to defile the Temple and the holy things in it. They were commanded to build pagan altars, temples, and shrines, and to sacrifice pigs and other unclean animals there. They were forbidden to circumcise their sons and were required to make themselves ritually unclean in every way they could, so that they would forget the Law which the Lord had given through Moses and would disobey all its commands. The penalty for disobeying the king's decree was death.

The king not only issued the same decree throughout his whole empire, but he also appointed officials to supervise the people and commanded each town in Judea to offer pagan sacrifices. Many of the Jews were ready to forsake the Law and to obey these officials. They defiled the land with their evil, and their conduct forced all true Israelites to hide wherever they could.

On the fifteenth day of the month of Kislev in the year 145, King Antiochus set up the Abomination of Desolation on the altar of the Temple, and pagan altars were built in the towns throughout Judea. Pagan sacrifices were offered in front of houses and in the streets. Any books of the Law which were found were torn up and burned, and anyone who was caught with a copy of the sacred books or who obeyed the Law was put to death by order of the king. Month after month these wicked people used their power against the Israelites caught in the towns.

On the twenty-fifth of the month, these same evil people offered sacrifices on the pagan altar erected on top of the altar in the Temple. Mothers who had allowed their babies to be circumcised were put to death in accordance with the king's decree. Their babies were hung around their necks, and their families and those who had circumcised them were put to death. But many people in Israel firmly resisted the king's decree and refused to eat food that was ritually unclean. They preferred to die rather than break the holy covenant and eat unclean food—and many did die. In his anger God made Israel suffer terribly.
" - 1 Maccabees 1:44-64

The end time will have to fit into the events of the bible since that is what the prophesies are about!

Given all the warnings we have in Scripture about not doing this--not believing people when they claim the end is near, or who predict when the Lord will return--I take the position that this kind of prophecy bingo is simply not how we should be reading Scripture at all. It is, at best, a distraction, and at worst spiritually dangerous error that leads us away from Christ.

The Lord will return. This is enough for us.

There is a time spoken about when it all comes to a head and is most intense actually

To put it simply and frankly, I do not believe in an "end times". At least not as popularly conceived. There will be a Last Day, there will be an end. When Christ returns in glory. But I simply don't believe in looking for signs and current events to create elaborate scenarios about what will happen. I just don't view that as good Eschatology, good biblical exegesis, or part of what being a faithful servant means. That's the kind of thing that I believe Jesus warns against when He talks about the unfaithful servant, or the foolish virgins who failed to bring enough lamp oil.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

truthpls

Oct 16, 2023
victoria
✟30,228.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Has there ever been a time, between when our Lord said these things until now when these things have not been true? These things have been part of world history for the last two thousand years.
Yes I don't recall stars falling and the sun going dark all day and all water turning to blood etc. Even in Luke it was obviously talking about that time.
Luke 21:21
Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

Luke 21:22
For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Luke 21:23
But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

In Matthew the Lord calls them "birthpangs"; for a comparison with that, look at what St. Paul says in Romans about the groaning and subjugation of creation.
No comparison. It is one thing for creatures to moan about the fallen state of the world and man, but another thing altogether when the events culminate in the end in rapid and increasing succession ending with the return of Jesus.
The things we see play out in the world--wars, conflicts, natural disasters; all of this evil, both human-caused and natural suffering, are the reality of our living in a broken, fallen, sin-soaked world. Creation itself is suffering, as though the world is experiencing the pains of childbirth. Now the thing about childbirth is that those pains precede something good.
Not like the tribulation. The tribulation will be unlike ANY time ever.
Out of the pain of this present and fallen age is going to come the the good new world, the Age to Come, when God makes all things new. New heavens and new earth.
Before that is the tribulation
So when we see these things happen we do not fret, we do not say, "The end is nigh!" we remember that we live in a broken world, and we remember God's promises. For Christ who came and suffered, who was crucified, dead and buried, has risen from the grave; and what God has done for Christ He shall do for all who belong to Him. God's response to suffering and death is resurrection; so even creation itself longs for, looks forward to, the resurrection of the dead (Romans 8:19).
Those who see the tribulation events start to happen will know it won't be long till it all ends.
And, again, looking at the context, this is what happened in 70 AD when the Roman armies surrounded Jerusalem.
No that was history and a separate event. It also was not something coming upon the world, but rather a local event.
I don't know why you believe this has anything to do with an "end time desolation". That isn't what the text says.
All things prophesied did not end in 70ad
Jesus points to the desecration of the Temple spoken of by Daniel (a reference to what happened under the tyrannical rule of Antiochus IV of the Seleucid kingdom)
No. The AC is yet to be revealed. When he comes he will have a short time till Jesus throws him alive into the pit
and speaks of a desecration of the Temple yet to come. That desecration happened during the Jewish-Roman War, which culminated in the siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple.
There was in that case, a desecration that foreshadowed the one to come. If all you see is the past you miss the forest for the trees.
No, it simply points out the terrible things that are going to happen--things that already happened. It's why the Christians of Judea fled when they saw what was happening, they fled into the wilderness to hide from the conflict and destruction.
We will disagree. Line up all the events of the tribulation and you will see it is comically impossible for almost any to have happened yet
This, in fact, left a great deal of animosity toward Jewish Christians from non-Christian Jews who saw this as betrayal; for the Christians (though Jews) did not join their fellow Jews in the conflict, and instead hid away.

After the destruction of the Temple we see an addition to the traditional synagogue benedictions, a benediction against heretics. Prior to this, while Jewish Christians were at times targeted by local Jewish leaders, and at times driven out of the synagogue; the separation of Church and Synagogue was effectively complete after what happened in 70 AD. While Roman oppression had begun prior to the destruction of the Temple, in the form of the Neronian persecutions, prior to the destruction of the Temple much of the conflict the early Church experienced was religious conflict from religious leaders and unruly mobs. After the destruction of the Temple the chief antagonizing force for the Church was the Roman state. Beginning with Domitian (as witnessed to by St. John in the Revelation), but really getting a start with Trajan, reaching a climax under Diocletian.
Not joining Jews in armed conflict against the judgments sent by God was not a bad thing.
The talk of celestial bodies being shaken is a motif we see in Scripture that looks a lot like "pay attention" language. I want to draw your attention to the book of the Prophet Joel,
Islands do not move away and mountains get leveled by any language.
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. Even on the male and female servants in those days I will pour out My Spirit.

And I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and columns of smoke. The sun shall be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood, before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.
" - Joel 2:28-32

I'm confident that you know already when and where this prophecy was fulfilled, because I'm confident you already know what happened on Pentecost as recorded in the Acts of the Apostles.
Just because there started to be some outpouring of His spirit does not mean that that was the end of it. Nor that Jesus would return in a short time after that, nor that the tribulation was here etc etc.
St. Peter, delivering his sermon to the gathered Jewish pilgrims witnessing the pouring out of the Holy Spirit, clearly testifies by the divine inspiration of the Holy Spirit Himself, "this is what was uttered by the Prophet Joel" (Acts 2:16).
Part of it.
Yet notice, no where does the Acts record literal signs in the heavens,
Since that was thousands of years in the future why would it?
or the sun turning dark, or the moon to blood. But nevertheless Peter, by the divine inspiration and speaking by the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, declares these things fulfilled.
That is still to come. Did you think most of that prophesy would not be fulfilled?
What this language does is tell us to pay attention; it's less about a literal sun being darkened or moon turning to blood and instead "This is important, pay attention, God is going to do something huge"--and that's exactly what happened on Pentecost.

Now take this lesson, and now read the apocalyptic language Jesus uses in the Olivet Discourse.
The sun and stars going dark etc is still to come. The tribulation also. Trying to pretend it was all supposed to happen as soon as some preacher had God's spirit poured out is ludicrous.
Given all the warnings we have in Scripture about not doing this--not believing people when they claim the end is near, or who predict when the Lord will return--I take the position that this kind of prophecy bingo is simply not how we should be reading Scripture at all. It is, at best, a distraction, and at worst spiritually dangerous error that leads us away from Christ.
Jesus is the One who predicted He would return. Not Maccabees of anyone else. The events to come are clear and undeniable and within a certain time frame culminating with the return of Christ.
The Lord will return. This is enough for us.
He gave us plenty more. There will be believers here in that time who will need to know the hell around them won't last long.
To put it simply and frankly, I do not believe in an "end times". At least not as popularly conceived. There will be a Last Day, there will be an end. When Christ returns in glory. But I simply don't believe in looking for signs and current events to create elaborate scenarios about what will happen. I just don't view that as good Eschatology, good biblical exegesis, or part of what being a faithful servant means. That's the kind of thing that I believe Jesus warns against when He talks about the unfaithful servant, or the foolish virgins who failed to bring enough lamp oil.

-CryptoLutheran
Immediately after the tribulation of that day is when He said He returns.

Upvote 0