Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello friends Im Jerry. I read recently a theory that the Earth is not a globe like they tell us but is flat. There seems to be proof in the Bible too. Isaiah 40:22, Genesis 10-11, Proverbs 8:27, Ezekiel 5:5, and others
I believe the Bible is right in everything, and it seems to me to say that the Earth is flat. Im not against science but when it goes against God's truth I am. There seems to be science to back up a flat Earth too. Google 'Flat Earth Society'.
I dont know much about the specific math stuff but it seems legit.
Also, Ive realized Jesus surely didnt think the Earth was round. I have never heard of our Lord being wrong in anything so could he be wrong in this? I dont know. Its making me have to decide between my strong commitment to the Bible's word but also to what science tells us. Obviously theyve been wrong before (evolution, etc.) but this is big. I don't know

What does everyone else think?

Thank you for listening and God Bless :priest:

Jerry
:pray:
None of those verses support a claim to a flat earth. None of them. Those verses are used by atheists in an attempt to ridicule Christians who should know better.

Frankly I've only seen atheists use some of the verses you quoted.

Better to follow the Christian path of what we can discover. Jesus presented His wounds for the disciples to inspect.

We have physical evidence the Earth is spherical.

Good read here:
Did Bible writers believe the Earth was flat? • ChristianAnswers.Net

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello friends Im Jerry. I read recently a theory that the Earth is not a globe like they tell us but is flat. There seems to be proof in the Bible too. Isaiah 40:22, Genesis 10-11, Proverbs 8:27, Ezekiel 5:5, and others
I believe the Bible is right in everything, and it seems to me to say that the Earth is flat. Im not against science but when it goes against God's truth I am. There seems to be science to back up a flat Earth too. Google 'Flat Earth Society'.
I dont know much about the specific math stuff but it seems legit.
Also, Ive realized Jesus surely didnt think the Earth was round. I have never heard of our Lord being wrong in anything so could he be wrong in this? I dont know. Its making me have to decide between my strong commitment to the Bible's word but also to what science tells us. Obviously theyve been wrong before (evolution, etc.) but this is big. I don't know

What does everyone else think?

Thank you for listening and God Bless :priest:

Jerry
:pray:
I think that when one reads your post aloud your sincerity becomes obvious. I've realized that this globe of ours is full of people that aren't all that clever. Take heart. Christ is risen from the dead for you as well. If I could become a Christian then there's hope for anyone.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really bad analogy. Moving around a pool requires you to change direction. Flying around the world from east to west or vice-versa does not.

Try moving "around" a pool in one direction and you'll end up in the middle of the pool and never get back to the pool once you climb out of the other side. Unless of course you walk around the world...THEN you'll end up back at the pool!
Close your eyes, put your left hand on the edge of the pool, and keep walking. You will eventually return to where you started. If you can't get this simple concept, I understand why you'd believe absolutely everything you're told.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Close your eyes, put your left hand on the edge of the pool, and keep walking. You will eventually return to where you started. If you can't get this simple concept, I understand why you'd believe absolutely everything you're told.
I could keep my eyes closed, one hand tied behind my back, and hop on one leg. In any case, I'd still be changing direction (you know, north/south/east/west) as I walked (or hopped) around the pool. LOL....your analogy proves nothing about your "theory".

Flying around the world only requires going in one direction the entire journey to end back up where you started. That is the simple concept proving the world is indeed spherical.

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could keep my eyes closed, one hand tied behind my back, and hop on one leg. In any case, I'd still be changing direction (you know, north/south/east/west) as I walked (or hopped) around the pool. LOL....your analogy proves nothing about your "theory".

Flying around the world only requires going in one direction the entire journey to end back up where you started. That is the simple concept proving the world is indeed spherical.
No you wouldn't. Not if North was in the centre of the pool. You would simply be travelling west.

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're going to use any verse in which God talks about gathering His people from the four corners of the earth to prove that the earth is indeed flat, then your interpretation of those passages is somewhat skewed. When the Bible talks about the four corners of the earth, it doesn't mean four literal corners at all, but rather is a figurative expression that should be taken as "I'm going to gather my people from every last part of the world." Some parts of the Bible are literal and should be taken at face value, others, like the book of Revelation, have a lot of symbolic/figurative language in there, and if you don't learn to distinguish the different styles of writing, it will give you a serious headache trying to make sense of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to use any verse in which God talks about gathering His people from the four corners of the earth to prove that the earth is indeed flat, then your interpretation of those passages is somewhat skewed. When the Bible talks about the four corners of the earth, it doesn't mean four literal corners at all, but rather is a figurative expression that should be taken as "I'm going to gather my people from every last part of the world." Some parts of the Bible are literal and should be taken at face value, others, like the book of Revelation, have a lot of symbolic/figurative language in there, and if you don't learn to distinguish the different styles of writing, it will give you a serious headache trying to make sense of the Bible.
A flat Earth seems to be implied by the bible, whereas there is no hint of the bible indicating the Earth is a sphere. Some parts of the bible are not meant literally, but we shouldn't try to twist scripture to fit with what is commonly accepted as science.

If the Earth is a ball, what was it orbiting up to the creation of the sun on day 4? If it is orbiting the sun now, when did it start, and why is that omitted from scripture?

• Agree
Reactions: Dither
Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If God is still God, and if His plan will be carried out no matter what shape the earth is, then why do we quibble over something as minute as that?

Truth is important, Worldviews are important, They have implications, How can you say a deception this large doesn't really matter, Please look into this. Do your own research, There's a flood of material on line now, and if after all that you are still not convinced, then you have chosen a side and its on your own head.

Reactions: Joshua_5
Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Why can one move around a pool either clockwise or counterclockwise, and still end up at the same location? The answer is the same.
They must change direction to do so. Pilots can travel East and end up at the same destination without changing direction. That cannot be done in a pool.

Upvote 0

Libertas

Jun 10, 2017
Florida
✟9,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Flat earth is total nonsense. "Circle of the earth" is interpreted as spherical by every honest scholar who looks at the hebrew words there. If the earth is flat then how did Jesus go to the center of the earth for three days before the resurrection?

All these passages make zero since with the flat earth model: Matthew 12:40, Acts 2:31, Psalm 16:10, Mark 9:49, Ephesians 4:8, Judges 5:12

This "theory" is designed to make Christians look stupid.

Reactions: SistrNChrist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Flat earth is total nonsense. "Circle of the earth" is interpreted as spherical by every honest scholar who looks at the hebrew words there. If the earth is flat then how did Jesus go to the center of the earth for three days before the resurrection?

All these passages make zero since with the flat earth model: Matthew 12:40, Acts 2:31, Psalm 16:10, Mark 9:49, Ephesians 4:8, Judges 5:12

This "theory" is designed to make Christians look stupid.
Its been proven scientifically with a laser to at least 6km. At best, your ball-Earth is significantly larger than NASA have indicated.

Reactions: Dither
Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We know the Bible is incorrect in its description of the Earth. There is no firmament separating the waters above from the waters below. The Earth does not rest upon pillars. The Bible is not a science book and should never be consulted for scientific matters. It is a collection of stories told by men for decades, then written down copied, changed, translated, edited, and now interpreted by men. No one should base scientific facts or ideas from ancient stories.

Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We know the Bible is incorrect in its description of the Earth.

Many Christians on this site would beg to differ with that statement, regardless of FE or RE affiliation.

Celebrate Truth now has a 24 live feed and is a great place to start your Christian flat earth journey. God is awakening people to the truth of the worlds cosmology. Please continue to research FE and shake off the lies.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know the Bible is incorrect in its description of the Earth. There is no firmament separating the waters above from the waters below. The Earth does not rest upon pillars. The Bible is not a science book and should never be consulted for scientific matters. It is a collection of stories told by men for decades, then written down copied, changed, translated, edited, and now interpreted by men. No one should base scientific facts or ideas from ancient stories.
The use of the word "firmament" is a simple explanation of the water cycle.
The expression "pillars of the earth" occurs in a poetical passage that includes "exalt the horn of his anointed".
I have never found a scientific fact that is contradicted by the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The use of the word "firmament" is a simple explanation of the water cycle.

What if it is simply what the Bible says it is, and that our earth is covered by a dome of water, wouldn't that answer the age old question "Why is the sky blue?"
Please research Flat Earth :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Why do they believe that the earth is a flat circle--why do they not believe that the earth must be either a rectangle or square? They believe it's a flat circle because the bible says it is a circle---but the bible talks about the 4 corners of the earth, many times---there are no corners in a circle so therefore the earth must be some other form than a circle--there have to be 4 corners --square or rectangle. Maybe someone can figure out how to have a square or rectangle and a circle together.

Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you mmk
It is great that you have taken an interest in FE and not dismissed this completely out of hand. Did you know there is a tradition of FE within the SDA movement.

As for your question, a compass has four corners and is also circular.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Thank you mmk
It is great that you have taken an interest in FE and not dismissed this completely out of hand. Did you know there is a tradition of FE within the SDA movement.

As for your question, a compass has four corners and is also circular.

Thanks again :)

Yah---I have a friend that I've had since high school and she knows a few up in northern Calif.----I think you misunderstood my post---I was being sarcastic. I'm usually more obvious than that!!
I really can't understand how anyone can think this. The bible verses that people quote, not a one of them mean what they think it does. I can see the moon and the other planets and there is not one single flat one out there. The shadow of the earth on the moon shows an obvious sphere. Put an ant on a huge ball and it thinks it's on a flat surface. We should know better. Sorry---can't see how anyone can think this and esp. not from the bible. And no---there are no corners on a compass. A circle has none. A dial can only go in a circle. There are 4 spots on that circle representing each direction, but no corners.

Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi again mmk,
Are you aware of what goes on in an ants mind, (thats pretty impressive lol) they also have special feet which can cling to walls as do most insects. anyway, please have another look into FE and try to challenge your preconceived notions as we have been sold a lie regarding the true cosmology of this world. Also, its worth having a look at NASA as they are lying to us big time.

Anyway, thank you for talking to me and being civil,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What if it is simply what the Bible says it is, and that our earth is covered by a dome of water, wouldn't that answer the age old question "Why is the sky blue?"
Please research Flat Earth :)
I hope you are just trolling. Why would anyone waste their time researching something that we know is a lie?

Upvote 0