The Battle for Counseling Freedom for All: A Small Victory and a Huge Setback For Those With Gender Dysphoria

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: Activists promoting ‘conversion therapy bans’ will not be satisfied until every last counselor, therapist, priest or pastor on planet earth has been silenced, shamed or scared into submission.

The worldwide battle for counseling freedom for all will have far-reaching consequences for freedom of speech, religion, and association. The ostensible issue at stake is banning “conversion therapy,” which is claimed to be “harmful’ and “ineffective” and even the equivalent of “torture.”

But the ultimate issue at stake is whether sexual revolutionary activists can limit speech inside a counselor’s office, personal prayer and the ability of individual clients to associate with counselors who will assist them in achieving their own therapeutic goals.

I bring good news and bad news from the battlefront. The good news is that one of the leading organizations of therapists in the United Kingdom issued an encouraging statement. The bad news is that the Australian state of Victoria crossed a serious line by claiming the right to regulate private prayers.

In November, the U.K. Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) issued a new “guidance concerning gender critical views.”

Case law has confirmed that gender-critical beliefs (which include the belief that sex is biological and immutable, people cannot change their sex and sex is distinct from gender-identity) are protected under the Equality Act 2010. Individuals who hold such beliefs must therefore not be discriminated against.
Psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors who hold such views are likely to believe that the clinically most appropriate approach to working therapeutically with individuals who present with gender dysphoria, particularly children and young people, is exploratory therapy, rather than medicalized interventions such as puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones or reassignment surgery.
Psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors are free to conduct their professional practice in this way.”

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What are they freaked over. Nobody is forcing them to attend.
Anyone who wants to attend has the choice to do so.

I dislike people literally speaking for people to continue sin.

Upvote 0