Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
OH, I have a couple of questions for you, asked in all sincerity and not intended to be contentious. Truly.

As an “observant Jew” who believes Rabbinic Law and Oral Law should be observed on Saturday and then on Sunday, you’re an observant Catholic who believes it’s correct to pray to dead saints, bow to a graven image of Mary, and pray vain repetitions, how do you decide what to do Monday through Friday?

And do you see no conflict between the observant Jew Open Heart and the observant Catholic Open Heart?
No, I have absolutely no conflict. And neither do the rest of the world's Hebrew Catholics.

Rachel, we've already discussed this on the other forum, so you know my answers. I wouldn't mind giving them for the sake of the different crowd here, but the SOP of this forum prevents me from discussing my Catholic beliefs. Thank you for being understanding.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The resistance to the community standards is understandable. Especially among those who are not Jewish or the Jews who rejected their heritage. But. This should be kept in mind. Gd spoke to Joshua and said "Israel has sinned", but it was not the nation that transgressed, but an individual. What is the lesson, here?
One lesson is that the entire community of Israel stands as "one man" and would be held accountable until the individual who actually sinned was identified, judged and his sentence carried out. This is similar to the NT teaching that all believers comprise one Body. When one suffers, we all suffer. When one is honored, we all rejoice. This is why we cannot allow a little leaven to corrupt the entire community of believers. Just as Achan had to be removed from Israel, false teachers, false prophets and willful sinners have to be removed from the Body of believers. Sadly, that did not always happen and false doctrines and sin have crept into the Body.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
So, are you saying it is OK to go against the "Oral Torah" as long as you are part of a community that agrees not to accept it in certain areas? When communities differ, who de we follow? If I follow the MJ community, then the orthodox community will accuse me of not following the judges of Israel. If I follow the orthodox community, then the MJ community will accuse me of not following them.

The "bar" is Torah, not "Oral Torah". I am part of a congregation and am not separated. YHWH has brought us together and we agree in doctrine for the most part.

I am a teacher of the Word. I also honor other teachers except when they teach falsely.

I was part of the Christian community until I accepted the Sabbath contrary to their "judges" teachings. They kicked me out of the church and turned me over to Satan for the destruction of my flesh. I joined myself to a Sabbath keeping group. Then YHWH showed me that He is not Yeshua and vice versa. I was kicked out of not only that community, but was told I am no longer a member of the Body of Messiah. I then joined an MJ community. I lovingly explained to the "leader" my view of Romans 14 and how the weaker brother was a vegetarian and the stronger brother a Torah keeper. He told me the weaker brother was a Torah keeper, but the stronger brother was free to eat all things. He then told me and my family to not come back to their community.

The "judges/leaders/teachers" of all those communities are the popes who rule their people with unscriptural, man-made rules and doctrines. I praise YHWH for delivering my family and I out of their unscriptural influence.
You did not read my last post carefully. I said several things:
  1. I think the best, most scriptural thing to do is to follow halakha as understood by a community of Jews, whether that community is Orthodox, Conservative, or even UMJC.
  2. I said I was not asking that of you however. (You are not ready for that.) For you I am only asking that you make your observance that of a community, and not your own personal ideas.
  3. The bar is not the Torah, because this is impossible. Protest all you want, but the Torah is not specific enough -- it must be interpreted.

After reading the rest of this post, I see a general trend. It is not just the Law that you are individualistic about -- it is everything. It is important to get along with a church that teaches differently than what we believe, and be willing to be taught even by those who are not perfect. Being disruptive is not of God. If one goes to pastors in a spirit of correcting them as if one is the authority instead of the pastor, it is not of God. A mutual discussion is different.

The excessive individualism of the West, and especially of American culture is an aberration. It is not of God. The Lord created us to be social creatures, to get along in groups such as families, communities, nations. When we see that we have lost that ability to get along, we need to recognize that our culture has corrupted us, and make every effort to undo that corruption.

I am extremely glad to here that you are now part of a congregation. I hope you are happy there, and are able to get along despite not always agreeing.

So here is the important question: Does your congregation agree on how the Torah should be followed? For example, do they agree on the rules for Kashrut, for Shabbat, etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
As long as you understand, we do not give up our freedom to decide... there is enough mass followings of false... to kill millions.
We are obligated to obey God. If someone asks us to do something immoral, we are to obey God rather than man. But that's where it ends. If someone in authority asks us to do something stupid or unreasonable, we are to do it. I do feel fortunate to live in a democracy, where I play a part in deciding who is in authority.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The resistance to the community standards is understandable. Especially among those who are not Jewish or the Jews who rejected their heritage. But. This should be kept in mind. Gd spoke to Joshua and said "Israel has sinned", but it was not the nation that transgressed, but an individual. What is the lesson, here?
Yes, exactly, danny! The example of Achan is boggling to the American mind -- we simply don't have a box to put it in. We even think it is "unfair." It really lets us know that we've forsaken the importance of community that is God's ideal.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You did not read my last post carefully. I said several things:
  1. I think the best, most scriptural thing to do is to follow halakha as understood by a community of Jews, whether that community is Orthodox, Conservative, or even UMJC.
  2. I said I was not asking that of you however. (You are not ready for that.) For you I am only asking that you make your observance that of a community, and not your own personal ideas.
  3. The bar is not the Torah, because this is impossible. Protest all you want, but the Torah is not specific enough -- it must be interpreted.
  1. I understood you perfectly which is why I asked which community I should follow since they all disagree in certain areas
After reading the rest of this post, I see a general trend. It is not just the Law that you are individualistic about -- it is everything. It is important to get along with a church that teaches differently than what we believe, and be willing to be taught even by those who are not perfect. Being disruptive is not of God. If one goes to pastors in a spirit of correcting them as if one is the authority instead of the pastor, it is not of God. A mutual discussion is different.
I get along fine wherever I am. The problem comes when those around me find out what I believe. When they find out it differs from them, they can't handle it and start accusing me of all manner of evil. As for that pastor, I did not go to him to correct him, but to find out why they were serving abominations at an MJ service. I had no idea what he believed. I tried to have a mutual discussion, but he wanted no discussion. So he kicked my entire family out. That is not of God.

The excessive individualism of the West, and especially of American culture is an aberration. It is not of God. The Lord created us to be social creatures, to get along in groups such as families, communities, nations. When we see that we have lost that ability to get along, we need to recognize that our culture has corrupted us, and make every effort to undo that corruption.
Yeshua bucked the religious establishment. He knew the difference between right and wrong and rebuked and corrected them when necessary. He tried to get along, but the leaders would not have it. Was Yeshua corrupted? No. He was exposing and correcting corruption. He lives in me. Therefore, I walk in the same Spirit and hopefully have the same mind as he. I will buck a corrupted religious establishment if I have to. I will not conform to corruption.

So here is the important question: Does your congregation agree on how the Torah should be followed? For example, do they agree on the rules for Kashrut, for Shabbat, etc?
For the most part. I keep Torah more strictly than they. They will eat stuff without a kosher symbol even if it has questionable ingredients. They will do things on Shabbat that I won't. Thankfully, they have become more observant over the years. I have no problem giving brethren room to learn and grow. My problem is with people who try to impose their corrupted ways on me.

• Useful
Reactions: Rachel Rachel
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Could it be that God didn't see Achan as an individual, but as a part of a community?
Yes, He saw him as part of the community, but He was teaching the community to be their brother's keeper and to understand how much He is repulsed by sin in the camp in which He walks. Once the sinner was exposed, he was dealt with as an individual and removed from the community.

Upvote 0

Rachel Rachel

Messianic/Church of God 7th Day
Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2013
In the middle
✟328,556.78
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I have absolutely no conflict. And neither do the rest of the world's Hebrew Catholics.

Rachel, we've already discussed this on the other forum, so you know my answers. I wouldn't mind giving them for the sake of the different crowd here, but the SOP of this forum prevents me from discussing my Catholic beliefs. Thank you for being understanding.
No, we didn't discuss this. And I'm not asking you to discuss your Catholic beliefs, I'm asking you to explain how an "observant Jew" can stop observing on Sunday morning.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
We are obligated to obey God. If someone asks us to do something immoral, we are to obey God rather than man. But that's where it ends. If someone in authority asks us to do something stupid or unreasonable, we are to do it. I do feel fortunate to live in a democracy, where I play a part in deciding who is in authority.
If you want to do something stupid or unreasonable to please authority, you go right ahead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If you want to do something stupid or unreasonable to please authority, you go right ahead.
OBEDIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

Obey secular authorities:

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates Titus 3:1

Obey them that have the rule over you Hebrews 13:17

Also Religious Authorities:

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. 1 Timothy 5:17

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
No, we didn't discuss this. And I'm not asking you to discuss your Catholic beliefs, I'm asking you to explain how an "observant Jew" can stop observing on Sunday morning.
I don't

I know from our previous discussions on the other board that you have problems with Catholic statues and prayers to the saints. I cannot discuss this without defending Catholic doctrine, which is a violation of the SOP. Sorry. You can address this in the denomination specific board here, and drop me a message on my profile page, and I'll join you there.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, He saw him as part of the community, but He was teaching the community to be their brother's keeper and to understand how much He is repulsed by sin in the camp in which He walks. Once the sinner was exposed, he was dealt with as an individual and removed from the community.
We are so on the same page. I agree 100%. God dealt with the community as a whole, and the community was expected to deal with the individual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I understood you perfectly which is why I asked which community I should follow since they all disagree in certain areas
We can argue about this once you agree that you need to accept a community standard. One step at a time. :)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
As for that pastor, I did not go to him to correct him, but to find out why they were serving abominations at an MJ service.
And you thought that maybe he didn't know or approve even though he was the pastor? Please. You were making waves. I just don't know if it was justified or not. Was he teaching that Yeshua wasn't God? Was he teaching that the crucifixion didn't atone? Was he saying adultery is okay? I mean there are very few things that are big enough issues that justify being called abominations. I'm just curious what these abominations were. Can you give me some context?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We can argue about this once you agree that you need to accept a community standard. One step at a time. :)
The community standard I accept is that of the Body of Messiah as revealed to us in Scripture. When those standards are set aside and new standards put in place, I have no obligation to obey them. To do so may cause me to sin.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And you thought that maybe he didn't know or approve even though he was the pastor? Please. You were making waves. I just don't know if it was justified or not.
Of course he knew and approved. I was trying to find out on what grounds a believer was now permitted to eat abominations.

Was he teaching that Yeshua wasn't God? Was he teaching that the crucifixion didn't atone? Was he saying adultery is okay? I mean there are very few things that are big enough issues that justify being called abominations. I'm just curious what these abominations were. Can you give me some context?
YHWH says we should consider aquatic creatures that don't have fins and scales as abominations to us (Leviticus 11:9-12). There was one dish that had pasta and shrimp. Other dishes had pork sausage. This is at a Messianic event were certain families only eat clean meat. The least they could have done was notify us that certain dishes were not clean by Torah standards. Several of us ate from those dishes, never suspecting that abominations would be served by a supposed Torah keeping congregation.

Upvote 0

danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Yes, exactly, danny! The example of Achan is boggling to the American mind -- we simply don't have a box to put it in. We even think it is "unfair." It really lets us know that we've forsaken the importance of community that is God's ideal.
Because it is unfair. But, the Torah observance is not about fairness or equality or ... . Belonging or claiming membership in ANY community requires an individual to compromise. This is no different. I feel very strongly against some rabbinical rulings, yet I obey most of them because that's the price of the "membership". AND, I understand why they ruled as they did and I recognize their authority to do so. I'm not really sure why this would even be a subject for discussion. Christian denominations, too, have community rules and standards. Some are more relaxed than other, but still.... Anyway, here's the point. Anyone is free to disregard the "community standards", and in return, the community is free to disregard such individual. The proper term is to cut off(from the people).

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
OBEDIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

Obey secular authorities:

Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates Titus 3:1

Obey them that have the rule over you Hebrews 13:17

Also Religious Authorities:

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13

Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. 1 Timothy 5:17
Then why did Yeshua obey the priests who told Him to stop?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Then why did Yeshua obey the priests who told Him to stop?
Yeshua obeyed halakha. He was school of Hillel. God's law is always higher than man's. When God's will violated the will of the priests, then Jesus disobeyed. I thought I made that exception clear in my first post. We are talking about instances where authorities ask you to do things which are stupid and irritating and nonsensical.

For example, my young son has a job washing dishes. He needs to put them away in the prep room in order to have room to wash new dishes. But the prep supervisor has ordered him not to put away dishes while they are cooking. It causes him an extraordinarily big hassle. He's considering getting into her face about it which will get him fired, and he won't listen to me about how maturity is just putting up with unreasonable people in the workplace, especially if they are over you. He lacks obedience and is quick to anger. It is something he needs to work on with the Lord.

Do you agree with the Bible verses I offered?

Last edited:
Upvote 0