Sunday Sabbath

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Each of these New Moon trumpet blasts equates with the trumpet plagues of Revelation, as follows --

1) Nisan 1 -- first trumpet plague
2) Iyyar 1 -- second trumpet plague
3) Sivan 1 -- third trumpet plague
4) Tammuz 1 -- fourth trumpet plague
5) Ab 1 -- fifth trumpet plague
6) Elul 1 -- sixth trumpet plague
7) Tishri 1 -- Feast of Trumpets, seventh trumpet plague

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The Feast of Trumpets, therefore, pictures God's seventh and final trumpet plague and the kingdom of earth now belongs to Yeshua the Messiah.

Revelation 11:15 Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our LORD and of His Christ, and he shall reign for ever and ever."

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
What to do on this New Moon celebration. It would certainly be appropriate to hold a "Kiddush" -- the wine and bread ceremony which Yeshua held with his disciples at the "Last Supper" -- as part of the festivities connected with the fellowship or communal meal served on the New Moons. The "Kiddush" goes at least back to the time of Abraham and Melchizedek (see Genesis 14:18-20). If you have never participated in one and desire to know how to hold one, attend a local Messianic Synagogue, or look it up online.

Let's notice this verse in Colossians again, as it is our only reference to the New Moons found in the New Testament. Notice two things about this verse

1) We are to allow NO MAN to judge us in respect to HOW we observe these things, including the New Moons. That would mean, we should NOT allow religious officials, neighbor, Gentile or even a Jewish person to judge us or condemn us for observing them, or how we observe them.

3.) We should observe them in a fitting manner, in a way pleasing to God -- not man. We don't need to become "Orthodox Jews" or "Ultra-orthodox" in order to obey God. We should celebrate His New Moons in a Godly and holy manner. We don't need to adhere to various "traditions of men" which have been added to the traditional Jewish rabbinical observance of these days. The Messiah clearly warned us to avoid the "traditions of men" which often in effect nullify God's Law (see Matt. 15; Mark 7).

The various rabbinic accretions added to the original Torah -- the many "do's and don'ts" added in the Mishnah and through rabbinic halackha or "rules" -- are not necessary. As Peter told the disciples at the Church conference in Acts 15:10 "Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?"

It is clear from the Scriptures that the New Moons are like commanded holy days of God or "Sabbaths." While it is not necessary for us today to hold regular religious worship meetings on these days, as we do on Sabbath days, we are commanded to "rest" or "cease from all work" on them. The New Moons are like Sabbath days and are days which should be given special attention, and celebrated, and all work and trading ceased from.

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.,.,,.,t as we do on Sabbath days, we are commanded to "rest" or "cease from all work" on them. The New Moons are like Sabbath days and are days which should be given special attention, and celebrated, and all work and trading ceased from.

I have just this moment realized where the day “Sunday” came from; it came from the term “Sabbath”. On our calendar we have the seventh day, the day of Sunday, the day of rest. I had not until now realized where this term and day came from. At 67 I am still not too old to learn new things :)-

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I have just this moment realized where the day “Sunday” came from; it came from the term “Sabbath”. On our calendar we have the seventh day, the day of Sunday, the day of rest. I had not until now realized where this term and day came from. At 67 I am still not too old to learn new things :)-
You should start another thread on "the change from Sabbath to Sunday" to learn more.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I guess this thread is made for you

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Each of these New Moon trumpet blasts equates with the trumpet plagues of Revelation, as follows --

1) Nisan 1 -- first trumpet plague
2) Iyyar 1 -- second trumpet plague
3) Sivan 1 -- third trumpet plague
4) Tammuz 1 -- fourth trumpet plague
5) Ab 1 -- fifth trumpet plague
6) Elul 1 -- sixth trumpet plague
7) Tishri 1 -- Feast of Trumpets, seventh trumpet plague
How do you arrive at those dates? The 5th Trumpet lasts at least five months (Rev 9:5). How can the 6th Trumpet be blown one month after the 5th Trumpet?

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
How do you arrive at those dates? The 5th Trumpet lasts at least five months (Rev 9:5). How can the 6th Trumpet be blown one month after the 5th Trumpet?
I should have worded it better... seven trumpets... seven sacred months...

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Except you have a couple of things wrong.

Sun-day has nothing to do with the Sabbath. It is the day of the sun (pagan god).

And Sunday is the first day of the week, not the seventh.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sun-day has nothing to do with the Sabbath. It is the day of the sun (pagan god).
No more than the Sabbath has to do with Saturn, also a pagan God.

MJ's who are part of churches worship on the first day because it is the day Moshiach rose. This is recorded in the Early Church Fathers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
No more than the Sabbath has to do with Saturn, also a pagan God.

Christians choose to worship on the first day because it is the day Moshiach rose. This is recorded in the Early Church Fathers.
Not that early... it happened after the disciples were dead.

• Agree
Reactions: Henaynei
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Not that early... it happened after the disciples were dead.
Nope. Revelation mentions the Lord's Day, which we know from Ignatius means the first day of the week. The Didache, written in the latter days of the Apostles, records regular Lord's Day/First Day worship.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Nope. Revelation mentions the Lord's Day, which we know from Ignatius means the first day of the week. The Didache, written in the latter days of the Apostles, records regular Lord's Day/First Day worship.
and that is an error in thinking that John, who was given a revelation of the Great Day of the Lord would be a Sunday worshipper, since there is no recorded evidence that any disciple ever did.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
and that is an error in thinking that John, who was given a revelation of the Great Day of the Lord would be a Sunday worshipper, since there is no recorded evidence that any disciple ever did.
That's where you are wrong. There are plenty of written records that Sunday worship was normative. I already mentioned Ignatius.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please quote succinctly the sentences you want me to read in these documents.
From the first link:

I believe I have translated verse 14.1 in the Didache, properly below (with two options):

According to the Lord's way, even the Lord's.

or

According to the Lordly {way}, even the Lord's.

However, it has normally been incorrectly translated by many Protestant scholars. Here are two examples:

"On the Lord's day of the Lord," by Kirsopp Lake [7].

"But every Lord's day," by Hall and Napier [8].

There are at least two reasons that the above by Lake, as well as Hall & Napier, can be shown to be mistranslated.

The first is that the translators should have realized that the Greek term for "day" (ἡμέρᾳ) is missing in verse 14.1 [9] and is not required by the context.

The second is how each of them began the translation of this particular verse. The beginning in both translations is in error and is inconsistent with the translators other translations in this letter.

The Greek word translated in verse 14.1 as "On the" by Kirsopp Lake and "But every" by Hall and Napier (Κατὰ) truly does mean "According to" as I have translated it. Κατα should not be translated as "On the" or "But every."

The Greek word Κατὰ is translated as "according to" by Kirsopp Lake five times (1.5, 11.3, 12.4, 13.5, and 13.7 [10]) and "with respect" one time (4.10). The other times Lake used the term "on" (verses 1.4, 7.3, 8.1a, 8.1b, 11.12, 16.8 [11]), it was NOT a translation from the Greek term Κατὰ.

Also the one time the Didache uses "on" with a day (which is in the translations of both Lake and Hall/Napier), it does not use Κατὰ, but it does include the Greek term for day (verse 8.1b) [12].

It may be of interest to note that in the KJV New Testament, Κατα is translated as "according to" approximately 110 times, and the only time (Acts 8:36) it is inaccurately translated as "on" it is not translated as "on" in the NKJV or NIV.

Hall and Napier translated Κατὰ as "according to" the six other times it is translated that SAME letter (see verses 1.5, 4.10, 11.3, 12.4, 13.5, and 13.7 [13]) and never translated it as "But every." The one other time Hall and Napier used the term "But every" (verse 13.1) while translating the Didache it is not translated from the term Κατὰ [14]. Also, it may be of interest to note that the KJV never translated Κατὰ as "but every."

Hence it appears that several translators intentionally exercised bias when translating verse 14.1​

And ...

John Kitto also made the following comments about the passage from Ignatius:​

Now many commentators assume (on what ground does not appear), that alter κυριακήν [Lord’s] the word ἡμέραν [day] is to be understood… The defect of the sentence is the want of a substantive to which άvroύ can refer. This defect, so far from being- remedied, is rendered still more glaring by the introduction of ἡμέραν…the passage does not refer at all to the Lord’s day…it cannot be regarded as affording any positive evidence to the early use of the term ‘Lord’s day’ (for which it is often cited), since the word ἡμέραν [day] is purely conjectual [24].
The second link analyzes the Greek of Ignatius to show the translation "Lord's Day" is wrong. It is not a long read and I could not do it justice by citing various sentences. It is not a long read, but it is certainly a beneficial read to understand the issue and how anti-sabbath bias has crept into the translations that use "Lord's Day".​

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is unthinkable that she [the Church] would claim to replace Israel. She is not another Israel
Cardinal Lustiger.

From my reading of the Bible, Israel was a person, not a place

28Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel,e because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was wrong, Sabbath is not Sunday, it’s Saturday

Sabbath (/ˈsæbəθ/) is a day set aside for rest and worship. According to Exodus 20:8 the Sabbath is the seventh day of the week, a day of rest,[1] commanded by God to be kept as a holy day of rest, as God rested from creation.[2] It is observed differently among the Abrahamic religions and informs a similar occasion in several other practices. Although many viewpoints and definitions have arisen over the millennia, most originate in the same textual tradition of: "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy".

In Scripture, Sabbath is given as the seventh day of the Hebrew calendar week,[3] which in English is known as Saturday.[4]

Upvote 0