Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Blessed are those who have good air conditioners, a stable power grid.
In a real heatwave grids are under 4 main sorts of heat related stress, and increased demand is only one of them. Airconditioning is great, but you don't want to have to trust your life to it

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The cool hole in the ground ( like a storm shelter basement or something ) has to be built before the wet bulb heatwave moves in. And people would have to accept the need for it first. And for that, it's going to take the first of these killer heatwaves to hit. Anyone ever google what areas could be susceptible to wet bulb climate heatwaves in coming decades? Is your state vulnerable?

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a real heatwave grids are under 4 main sorts of heat related stress, and increased demand is only one of them. Airconditioning is great, but you don't want to have to trust your life to it

• Back in 2020, BloombergNEF estimated the cost of a grid overhaul at $14 trillion over the thirty years between 2020 and 2050.
  • In 2023, the cost to upgrade the grid has risen to $21 trillion.
  • Upgrading the global electrical grid comes with a unique set of challenges including local opposition, skill shortages, and a financing problem.

If you live in an area with a decent grid you are truly blessed.

If are unable understand that the past couple of months was a REAL heatwave for a large part of the earth and believe the oil and energy industry fables you are living in LA LA Land. And it is just the beginning for the global south that is going into spring and summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
One surprising number in the poll was that atheists were twice as likely as Christians to recognize that climate change was a serious problem.
Consider that half of American Christians do
believe in noahs ark.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider that half of American Christians do
believe in noahs ark.
As I said many time everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want to believe. I looked it up and found that it is not considered a matter of faith for Catholics and most mainline protestants so it is not against their faith to believe either way, but that would be not be a discussion for this post.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I said many time everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want to believe. I looked it up and found that it is not considered a matter of faith for Catholics and most mainline protestants so it is not against their faith to believe either way, but that would be not be a discussion for this post.
Half of them believe it really happened.
A poll on cf would probably show more like 80%

I mentioned that as a way of addressing the
Very widespread anti science mindset among
Christians, leaving by default the atheists to be
more sensible.

Sure everyone is "entitled " , has a right to be
insensible.

Whether that extends to being irresponsible
may be another matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Half of them believe it really happened.
A poll on cf would probably show more like 80%

I mentioned that as a way of addressing the
Very widespread anti science mindset among
Christians, leaving by default the atheists to be
more sensible.

Sure everyone is "entitled " , has a right to be
insensible.

Whether that extends to being irresponsible
may be another matter.
I used to believe some extremely strange things. For example: I believed that for the most part those who were brought up in the US would understand that everything has a cause such as climate change and that we could do something in time to at least not make it so bad in the future. Real stupid belief. Right!

What we got instead!
1696187657815.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to believe some extremely strange things. For example: I believed that for the most part those who were brought up in the US would understand that everything has a cause such as climate change and that we could do something in time to at least not make it so bad in the future. Real stupid belief. Right!

What we got instead!
View attachment 337048
"The fossil fuel industry has set out to reshape the narrative surrounding climate change, global warming, and the consequences of burning fossil fuels. It's a decades-long, multi-billion dollar campaign to influence our politics, gaslight people to question scientific consensus, and maintain our addiction to fossil fuels."

And we are happy to go along because we like to use energy.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And we are happy to go along because we like to use energy.
Most are terrified of the thought of having to go back to a life of off grid living and self sustainment. Most in that case would rather kill their neighbour for what they have, than learn to live in the traditions of thousands of years. This after less than a century of existence in time with pampered living.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is way off topic - but because it came up here I feel duty bound to post that Sydney Anglican Professors of theology (and some of history) believe in Noah - but not without some serious analysis of the type of literature. I personally know an Australian Professor of Old Testament. He thinks that there was an actual Noah and his family. But the story is told in a type of literature that is 'dressed up' in Ancient Middle Eastern Cosmology - with domes over heaven, waters over those domes, and floodgates to let the water through! Needless to say - NASA didn’t find those floodgates when they went to the moon! Biblical cosmology - Wikipedia

Not only this - but just look at the chiastic structure! The real point of a chiastic passage is in the middle. It's like the 'meat' in the middle of a hamburger. Everything mirrors off that meat in the middle - just like a good hamburger. So the meaning? My friend Dr John Dickson interviews Professor John Walton who is one of the best known Old Testament scholars in the world. He is Professor of Old Testament in the Graduate School at Wheaton College, Illinois. The Flood - Undeceptions Basically - the world became chaotic with all the rebellion of mankind - and is returned to the pre-creation waters over the face of the earth. But this time, God's appointed saviour and his family are there.

1696197938283.png

But reconciling all this with science? What actually happened? The Mesopotamian religion and culture of the time was profoundly influenced by all the floods they had. So there was a big flood that wiped a lot out. The whole world? Nope - it's not a literal passage but a literary one. How much of Noah's story is literal and how much metaphor is not really understood - as there could be lost figurative meaning in the measurements of the ark, etc. The overall point is that whatever happens in nature, God is in control - no matter how severe the event. And here God is resetting the world and starting again with his appointed family chosen to kick things off again. Does that mean the Australian Aboriginals and Indigenous Americans and even those in Africa and Europe were all flooded as well for this passage to be 'true'? Again - that's reading it literally. This is literary. It's dressing up a local Middle Eastern event to make a theological point. Australian Aboriginals are not the point! (But I will be voting YES to "The Voice" to Parliament in 2 weeks if anyone is curious.)

Finally, how does all this relate to climate science?

Because certain fundamentalist literal types read God's promises to Noah at the end of this literary passage literally. They take those promises as a worldwide guarantee that nothing bad can ever happen to our crops. They miss that the whole point was God starting again with his purposes for his people, and would never repeat this type of flood. They miss the fact that before the end of Genesis there are a number of horrific droughts across the whole ancient world. So God definitely did not promise that all of nature would remain in balance - just that generally speaking seedtime would not end permanently. But there must be some intentional blindness to the climate-denying literalist - as the 7 year drought that leads to Joseph's story in Egypt even got turned into a Broadway Play!

1696198964715.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

What we got instead!
View attachment 337048

Rent-seeking and regulatory capture are mostly to blame, due to a lack of laws against corruption and conflict of interest.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rent-seeking and regulatory capture are mostly to blame, due to a lack of laws against corruption and conflict of interest.

Regulatory capture? In my podcasts I'm hearing that referred to as "State Capture" by the Corporations. It's about big oil and coal covering up the science their own scientists confirmed in the 1980's, and then lobbying hard - and funding endless public misinformation campaigns.
But why else has climate action been delayed? It's about self-interested Republican candidates repeating anti-science mantra's to make sure the hard-right now that candidate is 'one of us'. Talk about State Capture!

It's about the science being hard, and scary, and many middle-class types just not wanting to believe it.

It's about economics, and the FACT that only in the last half decade did renewables become cheap enough to do the job. But now that they are, they’re growing exponentially. Even the IEA recognise this – and think fossil fuel demand will peak and begin to decline before 2030. The market has suddenly seized on cheap solar and wind. They are doubling every 5 years.

In 2025 so many solar factories will open they'll have FOUR TIMES the capacity of all the solar built in 2022 - nearly a terawatt per year.

[Episode #184] – EROI of RE | The Energy Transition Show

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In 2025 so many solar factories will open they'll have FOUR TIMES the capacity of all the solar built in 2022 - nearly a terawatt per year.

[Episode #184] – EROI of RE | The Energy Transition Show
There are dozens of companies in my state that will install solar systems. There is a hefty government rebate when you have it put in. And you can get paid for what you don't use by feeding it back to into the system. I had panels installed last week. The complete 6.0kW installation was done in a day and cost close to US$3000.

Looking at my electrical suppliers app as I type this, the day before it was installed I paid $4.37 for power. The day after, I paid the company $1.63 for the power they supplied me and they paid me $1.19 for the power I sold them. And I just changed my deal with them which will triple what they pay me.

You know that feeling you get when you do something and realise you should have done it a long time ago...

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟143,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are dozens of companies in my state that will install solar systems. There is a hefty government rebate when you have it put in. And you can get paid for what you don't use by feeding it back to into the system. I had panels installed last week. The complete 6.0kW installation was done in a day and cost close to US$3000.

Looking at my electrical suppliers app as I type this, the day before it was installed I paid $4.37 for power. The day after, I paid the company $1.63 for the power they supplied me and they paid me $1.19 for the power I sold them. And I just changed my deal with them which will triple what they pay me.

You know that feeling you get when you do something and realise you should have done it a long time ago...
The exciting thing is now heaps of industries are now saying the same thing. "Should have done it a long time ago...". Well - to be fair on them - solar and wind were a LOT more expensive "a long time ago." They're a tenth what they were just over a decade ago. But the point is many industries are now leading the way, investigating how to Electrify Everything so they can control their own local energy infrastructure rather than rely on diesel trucked in a thousand miles or even international gas prices. EG: Russia invades Ukraine and it eats into MY profits! What the? Time for solar and batteries!

One example I love is electric mining trucks are being tested by many companies. There are giant battery packs that recharge in 30 minutes.
EG: Catepillar: https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news...irst-battery-electric-large-mining-truck.html Liebherr have their own. Trolley-trucks are another option. Indeed, there are hybrid electric mining trucks that use a tiny bit of diesel now and then, but are mainly electric and mainly recharge on trolley-truck overhead pantographs. While going up hill! The cheeky bit? They burn off their diesel cousins - doing twice the speed carrying 240 tonnes up hill! Seriously, just watch 60 seconds here. (The whole 11 minute episode is good - but just watch from where I've keyframed it if you're in a rush.)

I love this stuff!

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Guy Threepwood

Oct 16, 2019
Midwest
✟18,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • July 4 was the hottest day on record globally, with temperatures reaching 115 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California.
Official record: 134 degrees Fahrenheit (56.7°C) measurement taken at Death Valley on July 10, 1913.

Upvote 0