✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Global warming pushes ocean temperatures off the charts: study​

In 2023, the world's oceans took up an enormous amount of excess heat, enough to "boil away billions of Olympic-sized swimming pools," according to an annual report published Thursday.

In 2023, the oceans soaked up around 9 to 15 zettajoules more than in 2022, according to the respective estimates from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Chinese Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP).

One zettajoule of energy is roughly equivalent to ten times the electricity generated worldwide in a year.

global-average-daily-s.jpg

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's an update to that chart:

For the past year, oceans around the world have been substantially warmer than usual. Last month was the hottest January on record in the world’s oceans, and temperatures have continued to rise since then.

2024-02-07-sst-hottest-january-index-jumbo-v2.png

The heat wave has been especially pronounced in the North Atlantic.

It's a pretty significant rise, even accounting for El Nino, and is surprising many, and leading to new hypotheses about why existing models didn't suggest nearly as much increase.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whatever break we had been getting looks like it is over. We may see a rapid temp rise now.
We do keep learning more ways that warming can increase more than models had accounted for many times now.

So that makes me wonder.

Example: how well can models include events like: a La Nina or El Nino causes drought in some northern tundra near ice and snow areas further north, then you get more wildfire on the landscape, and then the soot from the large fires land on the ice and snow (black, low albedo) and then absorbing much more heat from the sun melts that area faster and more extensively than would have happened in the summer, exposing more new ground than a model might predict as a factor (that is, sooner) and that then that ice free ground will consistently absorb more solar radiation. But that's not all. The exposed warming ground means more permafrost melts sooner, and that causes that significantly more methane is released sooner than expected, which is a very powerful pulse greenhouse gas that lasts years until it breaks down (~ 9-12 years I read).

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In 2023, the world's oceans took up an enormous amount of excess heat, enough to "boil away billions of Olympic-sized swimming pools," according to an annual report published Thursday.

In 2023, the oceans soaked up around 9 to 15 zettajoules more than in 2022, according to the respective estimates from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Chinese Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP).

One zettajoule of energy is roughly equivalent to ten times the electricity generated worldwide in a year.

At this point, the global warming news is getting old real fast over the past few months, and has been since hearing that global annual CO2 emissions may have already peaked in 2023*. Yes, global warming is 100% real, but America doesn't seem to care to end it, neither does China. Elon Musk wants electric cars, but the car batteries require rare metals mined from Africa. Musk will use his profits to fly in his private jet, burning thousands of kilos/pounds of fossil fuels without a care in the world. So, why should we care about carbon emissions? The billionaires don't seem to care. We are still a long way off from net zero by 2050.

So, maybe we should have more walkable cities and better transit systems instead of electric cars. The US is car-centric, so it is impossible for many to walk to the grocery store or take adequate public transit. The city planners and NIMBYs will rarely allow US cities to become more walkable.

Solution? Let consumers decide when to switch to electric instead of pushing an unfeasible mandatory 100% EV adoption rate by 2035 (only 11 years from now). Maybe set the date for 2045 or something, to allow battery technology to improve, and allow companies to create more ethical batteries that require less cobalt.

*Good news: On the bright side, continental Europe's carbon emissions peaked in the late 1970s ( EU CO2 emissions 1965-2022 | Statista ), and the same will happen for the country of China in 2024 ( Analysis: China’s emissions set to fall in 2024 after record growth in clean energy - Carbon Brief ). Finally, the world's CO2 emissions are expected to peak by the middle of the 2020s, potentially as early as last year ( When will global greenhouse gas emissions peak? - report ). So yes, we will still have to try and reduce our emissions, but the news is not as dire compared to predictions from a decade ago. Hopefully this means less heat waves for Southern Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and South America.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, why should we care about carbon emissions? The billionaires don't seem to care.
If you know that something is wrong and you can help to put it right, then do so. Saying 'he doesn't care so why should I' is not exactly the smartest position you could take.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you know that something is wrong and you can help to put it right, then do so. Saying 'he doesn't care so why should I' is not exactly the smartest position you could take.
Agreed. That is why my place uses LED lights, I have a high efficiency front loading washer for one load per week, and my A/C is set to 25°C (77°F) in the warmer months, and my heat rarely goes on in the cold months (<19°C or 66°F). Most of my clothes are second hand, and some of my furniture is as well. My TV is also an LED backlit display, so that saves electricity as well. Overall, my energy usage is ~300 kWh/mo. or less. Only thing that wastes electricity is my dehumidifier, but it is needed to keep the conditions between 35-50% humidity.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. That is why my place uses LED lights, I have a high efficiency front loading washer for one load per week, and my A/C is set to 25°C (77°F) in the warmer months, and my heat rarely goes on in the cold months (<19°C or 66°F). Most of my clothes are second hand, and some of my furniture is as well. My TV is also an LED backlit display, so that saves electricity as well. Overall, my energy usage is ~300 kWh/mo. or less. Only thing that wastes electricity is my dehumidifier, but it is needed to keep the conditions between 35-50% humidity.
Good man. What we individually do doesn't really amount to squat. But if enough of us do something then it will make a change.

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good man. What we individually do doesn't really amount to squat. But if enough of us do something then it will make a change.
Yep. It all adds up. It may take a few thousand of us lowly folks to offset the emissions of a billionaire, but there are 8 billion of us on this planet. :)

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That is why my place uses LED lights, I have a high efficiency front loading washer for one load per week, and my A/C is set to 25°C (77°F) in the warmer months, and my heat rarely goes on in the cold months (<19°C or 66°F). Most of my clothes are second hand, and some of my furniture is as well. My TV is also an LED backlit display, so that saves electricity as well. Overall, my energy usage is ~300 kWh/mo. or less. Only thing that wastes electricity is my dehumidifier, but it is needed to keep the conditions between 35-50% humidity.

So you admit that you waste a lot of energy. But you're young, you'll get better at it, or you'll get married with children, and it'll get worse. But 'A' for effort. :clap:

That is why my place uses LED lights,

Nowadays it's not 'if' you use LED bulbs, but how many, and for how long. For example, my bedroom has 4 recessed lighting fixtures... there's only a bulb in one of them. It's a big room... no need to light the whole thing.

I have a high efficiency front loading washer for one load per week

My washer on the other hand gets used, at most, once a year.

my A/C is set to 25°C (77°F) in the warmer months,

I have central air, but I never use it.

my heat rarely goes on in the cold months (<19°C or 66°F).

I just made it through the entire month of February without running the heat at all. It did get down to 32° F in the house, but I just dress for it... and drain the water lines.

Most of my clothes are second hand,

Most of my clothes are second hand as well, and at least 20 years old. I do have a clothing budget of $100 per year. Mostly for shoes. I play a lot of disc golf, and that's really hard on shoes. My experience, splurging for good shoes will save you money in the long run. <<<Get it... long run. ^_^

and some of my furniture is as well.

I have no idea where most of my furniture came from... just collected over the years. Haven't bought anything new in almost 30 years, other than TV's and computers. Today's tech just won't last 30 years. At this point it's about downsizing for me. I don't need more stuff... I need less stuff. Now that it's just me in a 4k sf house, there's a whole lot of stuff that I don't need. Family came over and took what they wanted, but over the years you collect a lot of stuff that nobody wants. So out in the trash it goes. There's no such thing as Goodwill where I live.

My TV is also an LED backlit display

I've got a little 19" LED tv. Of course I've also got a 55" and a 42", but those were for family, and family's gone now. So the tv's just sit there doing nothing.

Overall, my energy usage is ~300 kWh/mo. or less.

Just checked this month's electricity usage 97 kWh.

Water usage, 0
Natural gas, 0

Only thing that wastes electricity is my dehumidifier

For me it's the refrigerator. I haven't found a way to cut back on that one yet. The odd thing is, that when the temperature in the house drops below about 43°, the stuff in the freezer starts to thaw out, because the refrigerator never kicks on. So the temperature in the refrigerator, and the temperature in the freezer start to equalize, and voila, stuff starts to thaw out... because it's so darn cold. :scratch:

but it is needed to keep the conditions between 35-50% humidity.

Funny thing, last year I had intended to shampoo the carpet when the humidity in the house dropped below 50%... it never did. Methinks that I'm gonna need a better plan for this year.

This is what happens when you get old. Or more specifically, when you have no one but yourself to worry about. I've never been a big fan of stuff, unless it was for somebody else. Then it was just a question of whaddya need.

Personally, I don't need a lot, just a sunny day... hopefully without a lot of wind... and a dog would be nice... on the other hand, I'd be happy with just the dog.

• Wow
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you admit that you waste a lot of energy. But you're young, you'll get better at it, or you'll get married with children, and it'll get worse. But 'A' for effort. :clap:

Nowadays it's not 'if' you use LED bulbs, but how many, and for how long. For example, my bedroom has 4 recessed lighting fixtures... there's only a bulb in one of them. It's a big room... no need to light the whole thing.

My washer on the other hand gets used, at most, once a year.

I have central air, but I never use it.

I just made it through the entire month of February without running the heat at all. It did get down to 32° F in the house, but I just dress for it... and drain the water lines.

Most of my clothes are second hand as well, and at least 20 years old. I do have a clothing budget of $100 per year. Mostly for shoes. I play a lot of disc golf, and that's really hard on shoes. My experience, splurging for good shoes will save you money in the long run. <<<Get it... long run. ^_^

I have no idea where most of my furniture came from... just collected over the years. Haven't bought anything new in almost 30 years, other than TV's and computers. Today's tech just won't last 30 years. At this point it's about downsizing for me. I don't need more stuff... I need less stuff. Now that it's just me in a 4k sf house, there's a whole lot of stuff that I don't need. Family came over and took what they wanted, but over the years you collect a lot of stuff that nobody wants. So out in the trash it goes. There's no such thing as Goodwill where I live.

I've got a little 19" LED tv. Of course I've also got a 55" and a 42", but those were for family, and family's gone now. So the tv's just sit there doing nothing.

Water usage, 0
Natural gas, 0

For me it's the refrigerator. I haven't found a way to cut back on that one yet. The odd thing is, that when the temperature in the house drops below about 43°, the stuff in the freezer starts to thaw out, because the refrigerator never kicks on. So the temperature in the refrigerator, and the temperature in the freezer start to equalize, and voila, stuff starts to thaw out... because it's so darn cold. :scratch:

Funny thing, last year I had intended to shampoo the carpet when the humidity in the house dropped below 50%... it never did. Methinks that I'm gonna need a better plan for this year.

This is what happens when you get old. Or more specifically, when you have no one but yourself to worry about. I've never been a big fan of stuff, unless it was for somebody else. Then it was just a question of whaddya need.

Personally, I don't need a lot, just a sunny day... hopefully without a lot of wind... and a dog would be nice... on the other hand, I'd be happy with just the dog.
Looks like our energy usage is gonna become a competition. Am surprised how you rarely use a washing machine. I use two LEDs mainly in the morning and evening, and all are on a smart home system. Another two LEDs in my bedroom sync with my alarm and stay on for 10 minutes. Same with my thermostat. Voice activated stuff. Also, why suffer at 43 degrees F? Your pipes could freeze if the walls get below 32 degrees F. Also, phone batteries, remote control AA/AAA and other batteries prefer temperatures closer to room temp. For me, sometimes I let my central air kick in at 80 degrees, but visitors think that is too warm, so 77-78 degrees is a compromise. For myself, I get cold real easily, so having the AC below 75 is freezing. To prevent damage to my fruit on the counter, furniture, TV and fridge, I will never let my place go above 84 degrees when I am gone. Electronics last longer in cool and dry conditions.

There is eco-conscious, and then there is torturing yourself for the Earth. No way am I gonna suffer in 43 degree cold temps just to save some CO2 emissions. Lowest I'll go is 62 degrees, with many layers of clothing. When with my parents, I let my place heat to 50-55 degrees (to keep temperature safe for fridge). If you want to save electricity, but still enjoy life, getting some solar panels or a small wind turbine could help. I recommend the latter. In total, my furnace only kicks in for a few days in the year. My condo does not have solar panels, but it has great insulation. My dehumidifier acts as the heater in the winter. Also, 19 inch LED TV is tiny. My screen is 43 inches, an LG 43UN700T-B connected to a Roku stick and a DVD player, the screen size which is the perfect balance between small and big.

My goal for 2024 is to reduce my energy to <250 kWh per month, maybe set my dishwasher to a shorter, cooler cycle. Already, my freezer is set to 2 degrees F, and fridge to 39 F, two degrees above recommended settings and my food doesn't spoil. Might shut off my dehumidifier during the spring, unless it rains outside.

Also, water is free at my place, so that is something that I sometimes waste with long showers (>10 min). Have to get that to under 5 minutes. Gas, I rarely use, and only use my electric toaster oven or gas stove, unless making a meal too big. Then that meal goes into the regular natural gas oven.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Made me check mine...

335 kWh for the quarter. But I sold 1,478 kWh back into the system. So I guess net use is minus 1,1143 kWh.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Looks like our energy usage is gonna become a competition.

Nah, it's not a competition... I'm old, it doesn't take much to keep me happy. You're young, you've got things to do... go do'em. Be old later.

I've always thought that I'd make a really good homeless person, but people always seem to need stuff, so before you know it I've got a whole lot of stuff, not because I really wanted it, but because somebody else needed it, and what better way is there to spend one's life, than to give of yourself for others. So save the planet, fight the good fight... and put off being an old curmudgeon for later. Choose a quest... and go chase it... that's life.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nah, it's not a competition... I'm old, it doesn't take much to keep me happy. You're young, you've got things to do... go do'em. Be old later.

I've always thought that I'd make a really good homeless person, but people always seem to need stuff, so before you know it I've got a whole lot of stuff, not because I really wanted it, but because somebody else needed it, and what better way is there to spend one's life, than to give of yourself for others. So save the planet, fight the good fight... and put off being an old curmudgeon for later. Choose a quest... and go chase it... that's life.
It is good that you are minimalist, and help others. I will fight to save our planet (within reason, without hurting myself) and those who reside here on this Earth, to serve Jesus by being a good steward. For instance, I do not have a pizza pan, so I will buy from an Austrian company which makes pans in the EU from recycled metals. My side table is second hand, made in Denmark. For reference, I am in the US. Trying to not buy Chinese products anymore. Plus, I do not eat meat that often (cos it takes too much time to cook anyways, and I am somewhat lazy. Rice or eggs are quicker).

Maybe I should watch less Yu Yu Hakusho, documentaries and sci-fi. That uses electricity. :)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Made me check mine...

335 kWh for the quarter. But I sold 1,478 kWh back into the system. So I guess net use is minus 1,1143 kWh.
Wait, so you have solar or wind? Wow, your electricity is carbon negative. :) Man, I wish my place had solar panels and a miniature 5 kW wind turbine.

Yes, companies make miniature turbines. Some are funky shapes, for efficiency and space saving purposes.
1709354007548.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wait, so you have solar or wind? Wow, your electricity is carbon negative. :) Man, I wish my place had solar panels and a miniature 5 kW wind turbine.

Yes, companies make miniature turbines. Some are funky shapes, for efficiency and space saving purposes.
Yeah. Had about 5.6kW of solar panels put in a few months ago. One of those things that when you do it you think 'Why on earth didn't I do this before'. Has to be close to 1/3 what you guys pay in the US.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟77,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah. Had about 5.6kW of solar panels put in a few months ago. One of those things that when you do it you think 'Why on earth didn't I do this before'. Has to be close to 1/3 what you guys pay in the US.
Yeah, solar is more affordable in Europe and Aussieland compared to the US. Wish solar panels prices would go down in the United States. Luckily these newer crop of panels last 25-30 years, some even longer. Also, the Australians developed a method in the early 2020s to recycle old solar panels and convert the silicon inside the panels into concrete. :) So, when your panels get old by the 2050s, you can send them off to a recycling company. The Europeans made the first recyclable wind turbine blade as well in 2022. So, for those who think solar and wind produce waste, this waste will become negligible. Any waste from renewables is far less pollution compared to coal and natural gas.

Coal generates hundreds of times more waste compared to renewables, according to a UK study.

1709402154661.png

Making concrete from old solar panels: Solar panels replace sand in concrete production
Europeans make recyclable wind turbine: World's first wind turbine with recyclable blades is up and spinning
Coal is the most wasteful: How much waste do solar panels and wind turbines produce?

Attachments

• 1709402005026.png
    1709402005026.png
    47 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That is one of the functions of the ocean ... it's doing what it is supposed to do ... no worries

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is one of the functions of the ocean ... it's doing what it is supposed to do ..
And it doesn't care about us. Neither does the climate. Or tsunamis. Or earthquakes. Or bush fires. Or droughts. Or rising sea levels. None of those things consider us. They just do what they do.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And it doesn't care about us. Neither does the climate. Or tsunamis. Or earthquakes. Or bush fires. Or droughts. Or rising sea levels. None of those things consider us. They just do what they do.
It's surprising it took 18 posts for a denial to turn up; it must be a record.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0