Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You take the gospel on faith based on a relatively small number of witnesses that have not been around for thousands of years. The testimony of scientists given the distance of stars has more warrant given that the evidence can still be observed, the calculations can still be verified. Your belief in one but not the other is incoherent. If you're wiling to grant credulity to the gospel, you have no reason to deny it in this matter. It should be even more believable.
I see the point your making, but we shouldn't discount that many Christian's beliefs/faith are based on personal experience and not solely Biblical testimony.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You take the gospel on faith based on a relatively small number of witnesses that have not been around for thousands of years. The testimony of scientists given the distance of stars has more warrant given that the evidence can still be observed, the calculations can still be verified. Your belief in one but not the other is incoherent. If you're wiling to grant credulity to the gospel, you have no reason to deny it in this matter. It should be even more believable.
-
Have you personally verified these distances. What is your personal proof that the sun is not what The Bible claims the sun is, a great created light. But as claim by science, just another and actually a smaller star among billions of stars.

What is your personal proof that the climate is changing, but not only changing, but changing leading to catastrophic earth conditions that will end life on earth, as claimed by science, gov, the media.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Like i stated in my previous, i see no reason to believe science on atoms, stars, evolution, the big bang, black holes, and the rest of God creation.

If God states He created atoms and they do exist, i will believe Him. But that will only happen when i can actually speak to Jesus in person.

I would much rather error in disbelieving man than in disbelieving God.

And where does the bible say anything about atoms either way? (Nowhere)

So do you think atoms exist? (just atoms, not anything else.)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
And where does the bible say anything about atoms either way? (Nowhere)

So do you think atoms exist? (just atoms, not anything else.)
-
I would say i do not not know, but i lean more toward they do not exist. But they could very well exist or just as they could be another one of science's claims as existing.

It is something i am not occupied with as to whether they exist or do not exist.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I asked you a few simple questions and you've gone to great lengths to avoid answering them and providing any details whatsoever.
I actually went to the effort of finding all the threads on climate change that you have been involved with. Not in one of those umpteen threads were you the slightest bit interested in learning about climate change. You constantly belittled any information that you were given and challenged even the most comprehensive data.

You suggest that I've gone to great lengths to avoid answering any question (a fatuous 'And what's the "something"?) yet the lengths that you went to disparage any and all answers you were previously given is astonishing.

Do I want to rinse and repeat? No, I do not.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually went to the effort of finding all the threads on climate change that you have been involved with. Not in one of those umpteen threads were you the slightest bit interested in learning about climate change. You constantly belittled any information that you were given and challenged even the most comprehensive data.

You suggest that I've gone to great lengths to avoid answering any question (a fatuous 'And what's the "something"?) yet the lengths that you went to disparage any and all answers you were previously given is astonishing.

Do I want to rinse and repeat? No, I do not.
If only you put half as much effort into answering a couple of simple questions at the time they're asked.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If only you put half as much effort into answering a couple of simple questions at the time they're asked.
Not going to waste my time. Show some enterprise. Go do the work yourself.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see the point your making, but we shouldn't discount that many Christian's beliefs/faith are based on personal experience and not solely Biblical testimony.

That's a good point, and I agree. but it doesn't really change anything.

The claim was that those scientists who witnessed x are few in number and in an elite position to evaluate the evidence. I agree with that since I have not (could not) do the work, myself. But I accept their witness that the observations have been made and calculations have been done as a credible witness. And I accept it because it is a live option for being disproven. I'm an idiot, but there are others that can disprove it, and they also agree.

Part of what makes Christian faith an act of faith is because, as things stand now, the witness of the apostles to the resurrection, and the Holy Spirit's witness to us, cannot be disproven. We'll see one day, perhaps, but such claims are not up for observation, experiment, verification. The distance of stars, however, is a live option for being disproven. There is a lot of faith involved with science, thats true, but it's a different kind because it's a community dealing with empirical, verifiable evidence.

So I think it is still the case that if one can accept the apostolic/Holy Spirit's witness, granting credulity to well worn scientific claims should be a no brainer.

Which is more worthy of being believed based on testimony? That which can neither be proven nor disproven or that which could be disproven, has been tested, and still stands? I say the latter. That doesn't mean the former is not worthy of credulity, but the latter is much easier to accept and should be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
-​

Because if The Bible did not exist and plus did not give accurate descriptions of God creation. Then i would not have a source to judge whether what man says is true or not. But since The Bible exist and is the inspired Word of God, all claims about God's creation must be judged by The Bible and creation information given.

Also because what science states as true. From my own recordings with a camera, i do not see what they are claiming is reality, as be true.

Sciences Jupiter

And a recording of Jupiter i recorded

We definitely have very different approaches to scripture.

Those are great videos. I'm definitely impressed. I have been thinking about getting a telescope. I had one as a kid but would love to have something like your setup. What are you using?

I'm not sure of your point, though. Are those meant to show the picture of Jupiter is not a picture of Jupiter?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
-
Have you personally verified these distances. What is your personal proof that the sun is not what The Bible claims the sun is, a great created light. But as claim by science, just another and actually a smaller star among billions of stars.

What is your personal proof that the climate is changing, but not only changing, but changing leading to catastrophic earth conditions that will end life on earth, as claimed by science, gov, the media.
I responded to that basic question in #88.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
-
I would say i do not not know, but i lean more toward they do not exist. But they could very well exist or just as they could be another one of science's claims as existing.

It is something i am not occupied with as to whether they exist or do not exist.
You really are lost to reality aren't you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're just blowing smoke.
No, we got rid of the wood burning stove. We now run a large a/c unit on solar. Which is giving me close to 5.0 kW at the moment. Most of which I'm selling to the electricity company. Sun shines, I make money.

Ah, the benefits of knowledge.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, we got rid of the wood burning stove. We now run a large a/c unit on solar. Which is giving me close to 5.0 kW at the moment. Most of which I'm selling to the electricity company. Sun shines, I make money.

Ah, the benefits of knowledge.
Cool story bro, I've seen advertisements about going solar too. Now the way it works is one asks a person a couple of questions, not to gain knowledge, but to test whether or not that person knows what he's talking about. I'm still waiting...

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You really are lost to reality aren't you?
A lot of what is now considered to be science fiction, was considered scientific reality fairly recently in the overall scheme of history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What are we going to do when the Arctic Circle melts due to CO2 gasses causing global climate change? All kinds of havoc will be reaped all over the globe while states like Florida, souther Louisiana an parts of California will be under water and politics will still be based on the covering of ears and eyes in order to sell off the small amount of fossil fuel we still have.

I wonder why it excites so many people to destroy the little amount of natural resources we still have while preferring to destroy our atmosphere with the fossil fuel we love to burn. I'm also guilty for driving around my Subaru. When will people like me learn?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Cool story bro, I've seen advertisements about going solar too. Now the way it works is one asks a person a couple of questions, not to gain knowledge, but to test whether or not that person knows what he's talking about. I'm still waiting...
Whut? You want to ask questions to test me? Go take a hike, dude.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whut? You want to ask questions to test me? Go take a hike, dude.
Yep, I simply wanted to see if you know what you're talking about and then proceed on topic from there. Instead you chose to go completely off topic. Bad form, mate.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are we going to do when the Arctic Circle melts due to CO2 gasses causing global climate change? All kinds of havoc will be reaped all over the globe while states like Florida, souther Louisiana an parts of California will be under water and politics will still be based on the covering of ears and eyes in order to sell off the small amount of fossil fuel we still have.

I wonder why it excites so many people to destroy the little amount of natural resources we still have while preferring to destroy our atmosphere with the fossil fuel we love to burn. I'm also guilty for driving around my Subaru. When will people like me learn?
Sounds terrifying. It's a good thing that God and not man is actually in control.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A lot of what is now considered to be science fiction, was considered scientific reality fairly recently in the overall scheme of history.

Really? I was dealing with a dude who thinks the Earth is flat and atoms (probably) are even real. There is no way to deal with that and the history of recent discovery has nothing to do with that kind of intransigence.

• Agree
Upvote 0