Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The summer of 2023 has been one of the hottest on record, with temperatures soaring well above average in many parts of the world. This has led to a number of extreme weather events, including heat waves, droughts, and wildfires. These record-breaking temperatures are a sign of a warming planet caused by climate change.

The Earth's average temperature has increased by about 1 degree Celsius since the late 19th century, and this warming is expected to continue in the future.
The impacts of climate change are already being felt around the world, and they are expected to become more severe in the years to come. These impacts include rising sea levels, more extreme weather events, and changes in agricultural yields.

To reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change will require a concerted effort from governments, businesses, and individuals around the world.
Record-breaking heat events that have occurred in 2023:
  • June was the hottest June on record globally.
  • July 4 was the hottest day on record globally, with temperatures reaching 115 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California.
  • The first two weeks of July were the hottest two-week period on record globally.
  • More than 100 people have died in heat waves in the United States and India so far this summer.
These record-breaking heat events are a clear sign that the Earth is warming, and that climate change is having a real impact on our planet. We need to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change, or the consequences will be severe.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
These record-breaking heat events are a clear sign that the Earth is warming, and that climate change is having a real impact on our planet. We need to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change, or the consequences will be severe.

How about these doomsdayers tell us Koine exactly what a "greenhouse gas" is, and not issue Earth-shattering news with vague terminology?

If we need to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, what exactly should we reduce? Oxygen? Helium? Carbon? what?

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we need to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, what exactly should we reduce? Oxygen? Helium? Carbon? what?
We have the freedom to choose to do something or not. It appears that most have already chosen.

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This video by an acclaimed historian shows that heat waves come and go. Starts at the 10 minute mark

Very useful. Until this point I had been unaware that historians don't understand statistics.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This video by an acclaimed historian shows that heat waves come and go. Starts at the 10 minute mark

Let me offer that in physics it's easily demonstrated that CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared radiation (infrared radiation is what a heat lamp gives off, and also warm ground gives off proportionally to its temperature).

On Earth, CO2 in the atmosphere allows most of the solar spectrum of sunlight to pass through down to the ground, and the ground then absorbs much of that sunlight and therefore heats up in the sun.... Warmed in sunlight, the ground then radiates more infrared radiation because it is at an increased temperature. But CO2 in the atmosphere above then prevents much of that infrared radiation from making it out into space, and sends a significant portion of that infrared radiation back downwards towards the ground.

Here's a great example to consider with real numbers: Venus, which has a lot more CO2 than Earth.

Because of it's distance from the sun, if Venus had an atmosphere like that of Earth (thus a lot less CO2 than Venus has), it would have an average surface temperature of about ~95F, which is about 38F higher than Earth's average surface temperature of about ~57F, and that's due to Venus being closer to the sun.

But Venus's average surface temperature isn't at all near to 95F.

Venus's atmosphere has far more CO2 than Earth's atmosphere, which has a powerful effect of retaining infrared radiation below the atmosphere. The surface temperature of Venus is about ~900F.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Very useful. Until this point I had been unaware that historians don't understand statistics.

It opened with an inane rant about COVID and "excess deaths" (I kept skipping forward 5 seconds, and then some sort of weird rant about university students not receiving their actual diplomas at the graduation ceremony and got "empty cardboard tubes" instead. We didn't even get our HS diplomas on the stage, but got empty folders instead, same with college. (I never attended the ceremonies for my graduate degrees which are still in their cardboard tubes.)

I gave up at that point long before the "climate" part.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There's a difference to cycles in weather, which does happen, and unprecedented heat that leads to such things as the Greek islands of Corfu and Rhodes being affected by wildfires caused by the heat and drought from the heat from a weekend alone.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would agree with the acclaimed historian that heat waves come and go. Does he agree or disagree with the 97% of climate scientists that humans that burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature by greenhouse gases to those naturally occurring in the atmosphere?

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, unlike the weather at least the responses are predictable lol
Weather is over short periods. Climate is over much longer periods and Even 50-year-old climate models correctly predicted global warming
Most of the models accurately predicted recent global surface temperatures, which have risen approximately 0.9°C since 1970. For 10 forecasts, there was no statistically significant difference between their output and historic observations, the team reports today in Geophysical Research Letters​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The summer of 2023 has been one of the hottest on record, with temperatures soaring well above average in many parts of the world. This has led to a number of extreme weather events, including heat waves, droughts, and wildfires. These record-breaking temperatures are a sign of a warming planet caused by climate change.

The Earth's average temperature has increased by about 1 degree Celsius since the late 19th century, and this warming is expected to continue in the future.
The impacts of climate change are already being felt around the world, and they are expected to become more severe in the years to come. These impacts include rising sea levels, more extreme weather events, and changes in agricultural yields.

To reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change will require a concerted effort from governments, businesses, and individuals around the world.
Record-breaking heat events that have occurred in 2023:
  • June was the hottest June on record globally.
  • July 4 was the hottest day on record globally, with temperatures reaching 115 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California.
  • The first two weeks of July were the hottest two-week period on record globally.
  • More than 100 people have died in heat waves in the United States and India so far this summer.
Yes.

And, a poll from November 2022 found that close to 1/2 of U.S. Christians think that human caused rises in CO2 have warmed the climate. (Which isn't far from America as a whole. It's mostly about knowledge I think, but politics matters also....)

While in contrast, something like about 1/4th to 1/3rd appeared to think (at that time in last November) that warming isn't from human causes, and the remainder didn't know and admitted it.

(But it occurs to me it's possible that some of those wanting to attribute warming to only natural causes might be giving the answer they'd like to send as a political signal instead of giving just their real thoughts, where some of those saying "natural patterns" might have answered "not sure" if they had just given their own pure view. I expect that some will answer as they've heard in political rhetoric, thinking their politicians might be right or half right, etc. without being sure themselves personally, so that actual portion that really think it's only natural warming might be hard to gauge then and may be less than the poll suggests. )

Perhaps a few in that category of "no evidence Earth is getting warmer" are learning better by now....

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, unlike the weather at least the responses are predictable lol
What is predictable (lol) is individuals like yourself driven by confirmation bias are incapable of assessing the veracity of your sources.
I’ll give you three examples why your video is nonsense.

(1) The claim historical records indicates heat waves are a norm and not attributed to climate change.

When it comes to heat waves it is the increase in the heat wave season with time which is indicative for climate change.
Here is the US data.

1690230041985.png
The historical records referred to in the video only describe weather not climate.

(2) The claim fossil fuels need to be increased to power air conditioning to counter the physiological effects of the current heat wave.

Evidently the good historian doesn’t realize air conditioning is a creature comfort only available to about a third of global households and of the 2.8 billion people living in the hottest parts of the world only 8% have available air conditioning.

As usual it will be the poorest that will need to suffer for our reliance on fossil fuels to power our air conditioners during these heat waves.

(3) The claim why are banks still offering loans, mortgages and finances for properties in London when sea levels are rising?

Perhaps the good historian should check London’s geographical location.
Being inland and on the river Thames, London would be prone to riverine flooding and not rising sea levels.

Australia is now experiencing a new weather phenomenon due to global warming known as rain bombs which are extreme examples of wet microbursts.
These rain bombs as large as 4000 km have turned regions of Australia where once in a century riverine flooding have become regular events.
By 2030 it is estimated 1 in 25 homes in Australia will become uninsurable due to climate change effects of which 80% will be caused by riverine flooding.

So while things might be cosy in London for the time being this is not the case in other parts of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An example of climate change impacting on Britain is England's inability of winning back the Ashes from Australia.

GettyImages-1565413587.jpg

It was not the grand finale this riveting series deserved, after Australia retained the Ashes following a last day washout at Old Trafford. But cricket’s major vulnerability is its lack of weatherproofing, something that needs to be examined as climate change threatens to rain on more of the game’s big parades.​

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And, a poll from November 2022 found that close to 1/2 of U.S. Christians think that human caused rises in CO2 have warmed the climate. (Which isn't far from America as a whole. It's mostly about knowledge I think, but politics matters also....)
One surprising number in the poll was that atheists were twice as likely as Christians to recognize that climate change was a serious problem.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember watching reading looking into allot of this many many years ago when Computers just started to be built and Scientist gathered around the world to start taking data blah blah blah. Even that "data" they say got fudged up again blah blah blah. This for me is just like politics. Well a simple search I find the same groups, news groups all chanting so to speak "climate change is real!" Those same groups and hollywood how many times 12 more years. That came and went a few times. I can still see leonard nimoy in the late 70's on TV talking about? CLIMATE CHANGE Vox.. ooh good source there haha.. sorry said "this could be the coolest summer we ever have". Look at just the young people they put so much fear into. If your my age you know that fear.. they did it to us not just once many times and yet were still here.

Its like when it comes to politics we leave out the other side of the story. Yeah its as if because they say it and they believe (left or right).. you are not allowed (oh and that is so true) to disagree. Anyway there are hundreds of hundreds (yes fact) of Scientists that disagree about climate Change

This for me is like talking about the LAW yet you know nothing about the law. Now what I mean is if we say kind of understand Climate change then you know 3/4 of the earth can do everything to help stop Climate change yet.. it wont even make a dent. Just a few nations.. Iran, Russia, China, India.. yeah they are not stopping any time soon. That means never in my life time (short now waaaaa) or my kids or their kids.

Lets look at heat waves. Now I think were all on the internet and I can move my mouse what 5 inches and type in the SEARCH and look up anything. I believe even on a phone its easier.. we all can :). So I just research like I always do BUT I don't use GOOGLE. "Actual data from temperature measurements show that heatwaves in the U.S. are on the decline even as climate change has occurred over the last 75 years.". Yeah.. odd huh other sites that say something different also have data to back up what the say. I like this "rather than seeking to show that an event is caused by climate change, scientists must now presume it was, or be “denialists.”. "believes that human activity is influencing climate change, but is critical of the way climate data are presented to the public, writes in a chapter called “Hyping the Heat” that “there are high levels of uncertainty in detecting trends in extreme weather.".

So how do I see all this? Truth.. both sides make some really strong points I can't just toss out as lies lol. What I know is again if 3/4 of this world stopped everything that they believe adds to Climate Change.. nothing what so ever will change. 3rd world nations out there are not changing and some are making new coal mines "China's plans for some 100 new coal-fired power plants to back up wind and solar capacity".

Upvote 0