USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
"One will sail through calmer waters if one charts their own course." -OldWiseGuy

True. But I think a group ethos is more prevalent in religious practitioners. Or the ideal at least. Whether that holds true when tested is another matter.

For me, it’s more fulfilling to devise a plan and walk it out than to follow someone’s lead. Following Him is one thing. But the earthlings are a different breed. :p

~Bella

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Race is one form of differentiation. It receives more attention due to slavery and the Civil Rights movement. Wealth is another. Its continuance is dependent on the promotion of ideals (namely the American Dream) which they never follow.

The third is more discreet and subtle in its application. But the ripples are deeply felt. Class receives little notice. Most attribute the philosophy to Britain and assume we evolved beyond its reach. That’s trickle down economics in the flesh and a hallmark of privilege and its spoils.

The disparities are glaring and right in our face. But few notice them. The masses are fed unwholesome morsels (food, entertainment, ideals, hobbies) and the other dines on delicacies (opera, theater, ballet, etc.). If you compare the difference refinement is the tipping point.

Watch a major sporting event and pay attention to the messages reenforced through ads and commercials. Then do the same with another like golf or horse racing and notice the differences in tone, imagery, and subject. Wholesomeness is a constant.

Look at the body language of the spectators. That’s most telling. It’s a snapshot of Veblen’s Leisure Class. Whenever society directs your attention in one direction. You ought to question what’s occurring elsewhere.

As the magician proves, the slight of the hand is a masterful tactic of shifting our focus to less important matters. It doesn’t minimize the gravity of discrimination. But it removes the greater threat from our sight and conscience.

If we recognized the tentacles which reenforce our inferiority. We’d direct our efforts where they belong. This is a distraction. Brilliantly maintained.

~Bella
I think you make some excellent points. Of the 3 forms of differentiation you mentioned; Race, Class, and Wealth, I think race gets more attention than the others not only due to slavery and the Civil Rights movement, but mainly because that is the one that cannot be changed. As an American I could be born lower class, poor, and black; but I not destined to remain that way. I can go from lower class to upper class; I can go from poor to wealthy; but I will always remain black. Because of this I believe there is more tribalism centered around race than the others that I can change, and tribalism is one of the main ingredients of racism and bigotry.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me, it’s more fulfilling to devise a plan and walk it out than to follow someone’s lead. :p

~Bella

I like it. The beauty of America is that here you can do that, if you have the courage.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you make some excellent points. Of the 3 forms of differentiation you mentioned; Race, Class, and Wealth, I think race gets more attention than the others not only due to slavery and the Civil Rights movement, but mainly because that is the one that cannot be changed. As an American I could be born lower class, poor, and black; but I not destined to remain that way. I can go from lower class to upper class; I can go from poor to wealthy; but I will always remain black. Because of this I believe there is more tribalism centered around race than the others that I can change, and tribalism is one of the main ingredients of racism and bigotry.

The answer to that is to not let others decide how you feel about yourself.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True. But I think a group ethos is more prevalent in religious practitioners. Or the ideal at least. Whether that holds true when tested is another matter. ~Bella

Many are 'working out their own salvation' outside of the group. I haven't been in a fellowship or church for some time now and I'm quite content.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The answer to that is to not let others decide how you feel about yourself.
I think tribalism is not so much about how you feel about yourself, but more of a desire to be around people like yourself. The opposite of diversity; if you will.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
As an American I could be born lower class, poor, and black; but I not destined to remain that way. I can go from lower class to upper class; I can go from poor to wealthy; but I will always remain black.

You can raise yourself by acquiring wealth which places you in a different socioeconomic group. But class isn’t bestowed solely due to resources. You enter a different strata and must be granted a seat at the table. The rituals of entry are longstanding. Money will never set them aside.

That is the reasoning behind attending certain schools, camps, and events. And participating in specific clubs, philanthropy, and seats on the board. All of this ushers the individual towards inclusion. That’s where power dwells. Without access and influence the mechanism to effect change remains untapped.

Because of this I believe there is more tribalism centered around race than the others that I can change, and tribalism is one of the main ingredients of racism and bigotry.

That is a limited perspective promoted to shield the deeper truths of our makeup. Belief in God should accompany a clearer recognition of our divinity and spiritual DNA. Ignorance diminishes contentment and supports notions of inferiority and physical ideals distributed to the public.

When we grasp our holy blueprint and His design. We embrace our otherness without fear or apology. Thus, if He decreed our hue or imparted beauty and talents. Why are we compelled to question our value in relation to the next that He formed?

You must accept your knitting and view its distinction as marks of Holy perfection. Fearfully and wonderfully crafted. Unapologetically sound. Fashioned through His will.

To descend to man’s frequency and partake of his rhetoric impacts my vision and execution. I see through biases and limitations which don’t exist on His plane. That’s our resting place.

When you move beyond race and consider the nuances of your person you gain insight on each element’s contribution to the whole. As a Creole, I’m moved by the sounds and rhythms prevalent in Black music. And equally influenced by French food and culture. I delight in British etiquette and social customs. My soul stirs in Jewish places of worship and is fed through service and philanthropy for the benefit of others and loved ones.

That isn’t a culmination of color. It’s the reality of the facets (of my being) coming together and forming a harmonious end. If I gravitated to the propaganda, I would question my difference and look askance. Desiring to be like others and rejecting His plan.

That’s unacceptable. I won’t yield one iota He’s bestowed. I know who I am.

~Bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like it. The beauty of America is that here you can do that, if you have the courage.

If you utilize the reason you’ve been given.

When we desire to accomplish a goal in an area of unfamiliarity we frequently look to others who have done the same. Thus, if I want to run a marathon I would be better served by studying the practices of those who’ve accomplished it. I wouldn’t glean from proclamations and assign the same gravity completion yields.

Oftentimes a person shares an interest with a group. Several participants acknowledge the same and their energy is stoked. They commit to this and that. Spurred by the discussion. But revisit the subject a week later and notice the difference. How many accomplished what they said? Less than 10% and I’m being generous.

The individual mistook emotionalism for facts and neglected to include active participants whose example and advice would spur them on. They’re looking in the wrong place and come up short. It is said that 5% of the population sets goals. But only 3% accomplishes them. That’s a staggering number when you consider our population. I discussed this in the past.

Courage isn’t the culprit. Though fear can be an impediment. The greatest inhibitor is lack of planning and follow through. Doing is the difference.

When I read that I amplified my output. Then I sped the process up by limiting my engagement to paid groups and programs where everyone pursued the same. That had a tremendous difference on my knowledge, effectiveness and capacity.

We don’t teach that. We send people on a laborious goose chase and wonder why they’re failing.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You can raise yourself by acquiring wealth which places you in a different socioeconomic group. But class isn’t bestowed solely due to resources. You enter a different strata and must be granted a seat at the table. The rituals of entry are longstanding. Money will never set them aside.

That is the reasoning behind attending certain schools, camps, and events. And participating in specific clubs, philanthropy, and seats on the board. All of this ushers the individual towards inclusion. That’s where power dwells. Without access and influence the mechanism to effect change remains untapped.
I never said money will bring you from lower class to upper class, I said the opportunity to go from lower class to upper class is available to you
That is a limited perspective promoted to shield the deeper truths of our makeup. Belief in God should accompany a clearer recognition of our divinity and spiritual DNA. Ignorance diminishes contentment and supports notions of inferiority and physical ideals distributed to the public.

When we grasp our holy blueprint and His design. We embrace our otherness without fear or apology. Thus, if He decreed our hue or imparted beauty and talents. Why are we compelled to question our value in relation to the next that He formed?

You must accept your knitting and view its distinction as marks of Holy perfection. Fearfully and wonderfully crafted. Unapologetically sound. Fashioned through His will.

To descend to man’s frequency and partake of his rhetoric impacts my vision and execution. I see through biases and limitations which don’t exist on His plane. That’s our resting place.

When you move beyond race and consider the nuances of your person you gain insight on each element’s contribution to the whole. As a Creole, I’m moved by the sounds and rhythms prevalent in Black music. And equally influenced by French food and culture. I delight in British etiquette and social customs. My soul stirs in Jewish places of worship and is fed through service and philanthropy for the benefit of others and loved ones.

That isn’t a culmination of color. It’s the reality of the facets (of my being) coming together and forming a harmonious end. If I gravitated to the propaganda, I would question my difference and look askance. Desiring to be like others and rejecting His plan.

That’s unacceptable. I won’t yield one iota He’s bestowed. I know who I am.

~Bella
I am not a religious person so when I said tribalism as a main ingredient of racism and bigotry, I wasn’t referring to it in the context of religion, I was more so referring to the fact that many of the instances of bigotry and racism has almost always had some aspect of tribalism as their base.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Courage isn’t the culprit. Though fear can be an impediment. The greatest inhibitor is lack of planning and follow through. Doing is the difference.

Leaving the 'tribe' behind is often necessary if one is to seek success. It takes courage to do this, long before any plans are laid, especially if it means abandoning one's 'culture'; getting above one's 'raisin's'.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never said money will bring you from lower class to upper class, I said the opportunity to go from lower class to upper class is available to you

Thank you for clarifying.

I am not a religious person so when I said tribalism as a main ingredient of racism and bigotry, I wasn’t referring to it in the context of religion, I was more so referring to the fact that many of the instances of bigotry and racism has almost always had some aspect of tribalism as their base.

My apologies. I didn't notice your status.

~Bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Leaving the 'tribe' behind is often necessary if one is to seek success. It takes courage to do this, long before any plans are laid, especially if it means abandoning one's 'culture'; getting above one's 'raisin's'.

I'm not opposed to tribes. I reject group think and expectations of sameness. Its important to allow others the freedom of thought and expression. I'm not interested in controlling them. Or threatened by differences.

I am comfortable opting out if the goal requires me to do so. Expansion usually forces us to color outside the lines and explore new terrain. I view success through the guise of legacy. My actions assist the next and the pattern continues. Everyone contributing and doing their part.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We don’t teach that. We send people on a laborious goose chase and wonder why they’re failing.

~Bella

The world's system is like a maze that few navigate successfully. Most are still in there somewhere, still bumping into dead ends.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I was a young teacher, a student's father shared his opinion that "country blacks" were decent enough people, but "city blacks" weren't. I think his attitude was exactly the point of the title of this thread. Too many whites point to statistics (that are perfectly accurate) to explain that it's black peoples' own fault that they are treated badly, since they behave so badly.

There are two huge flaws in this reasoning. The first is that statistics aren't people. Treating a certain individual badly simply because other people like him or her behave badly is wrong. I don't know anything about an individual until I get to know that individual.

The second flaw comes from forgetting the principle of mercy. When the disciples came to Jesus and reported that the people in the town up ahead had rejected them, they asked if He wanted them to call down fire from heaven on their heads. Jesus responded with "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of." Jesus did not express anger at the town. Neither should we express self-righteous anger at people who do not behave the way we wish they would.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The world's system is like a maze that few navigate successfully. Most are still in there somewhere, still bumping into dead ends.

It needn't be a matrix. But you can't accept everything you hear either. You have to question and utilize reason and deduction. Play offense on your environment and marry well. If you choose to do so. Healthy alliances increase possibilities when you're working together with a plan in mind.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I was a young teacher, a student's father shared his opinion that "country blacks" were decent enough people, but "city blacks" weren't. I think his attitude was exactly the point of the title of this thread. Too many whites points to statistics (that are perfectly accurate) to explain that it's black peoples' own fault that they are treated badly, since they behave so badly.

There are two huge flaws in this reasoning. The first is that statistics aren't people. Treating a certain individual badly simply because other people like him or her behave badly is wrong. I don't anything about an individual until I get to know that individual.

The second flaw comes from forgetting the principle of mercy. When the disciples came to Jesus and reported that the people in the town up ahead had rejected them, they asked if He wanted them to call down fire from heaven on their heads. Jesus responded with "You do not know what manner of spirit you are of." Jesus did not express anger at the town. Neither should we express anger at people who do not behave the way we wish they would.

Getting know each individual situation is for the courts and counselors. We are spoon-fed statistics cleverly presented to hide the truth.

I read a magazine report once (Time, Newsweek, or U.S. News and World Report, circa. 1980's sometime) that provided case-by-case information concerning death by murder and by suicide which occurred in one week in the U.S. After studying the article I concluded that the facts were in direct opposition to the editorial intent of the writers.

What is curious is that that issue is missing from the archives of the only news magazine that it would have appeared in. My guess is that realizing what they had revealed made it necessary to remove it.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,508.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ceasing to abuse isn't the same as making up for it or dealing with the injuries. And of course more could be done to invest in certain communities. You put a man on the moon for goodness' sake.

If I meet a homeless man on the street who asks for money I might be tempted to tell him to get a job and take responsibility for his own life and quickly be on my way.

But if my brother from childhood becomes homeless I may well do everything in my power to help. I may let him stay with me even if he steals, give money even though he wastes it, hook him up with jobs even though I know he might not turn up etc. By the time I have to kick him out, it would still break my heart.

Of course everyone has to take responsibility for their own lives. But America hasn't exactly exhausted itself trying to bring black America into the fold.

And what is exactly America not doing to help? We have laws protecting them. We have welfare state that is there to help the poor. Yet they still commit a disproportionate number of Crimes and violent crimes for their race. Yet they have the same opportunities as everyone else. They can get jobs, go to school, go to college, go to trade schools. They even have their own colleges.

What more needs to be done. At some point you HAVE to look at the societal culture that has seeped into the black community.

I do t know what more we can do. There even have been attempts at bringing businesses into their communities, but those investments turned sour when they kept being robbed, burglarized and vandalized.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,508.00
Faith
Pentecostal
No? You weren't fighting a foreign enemy, you were fighting amongst yourselves to make a decision you should have made in the first place. You didn't do anybody a favour.

Oh yes we did. We saw an injustice and righted it with the blood of our own people. If you want to hold the slavers responsible then fine, do so. But they were in the south and Democrats. So they are the ones to pay. The rest of the country paid with blood. They are off the hook.

However, I say that wont solve a thing. Haven't we learned that throwing money at problems doesn't really fix them. There is a deeper problem in the black community that won't be fixed by money.

Upvote 0