Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well Gurney, if you can't come here to TAW and discuss your frustrations, where can you go? Seriously, this is a very sympathetic group of people and I don't think you brought anybody down. I was being a smart aleck, for which I apologize.

God bless,
Xenia

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No need to apologize. Not at all. I'm willing to say I'm the one with the problem for sure. I'm not demonizing Holy Orthodoxy. I've just got a lot to work out about all this.

I often think of leaving it. I thought about leaving it when we were first visiting. In fact, after my first Divine Liturgy, I drove home, called my wife on my cell and said, "well, we can forget Orthodoxy. Not feelin' it!" and I told her how long, exhausting, and repetitive the liturgy was. I was quite done with it. Then she wanted to personally see it. So I took her. She liked it a lot. I was really surprised! So she wanted to go again. We kept going. I was more in favor of leaving than she.

And a couple of times now I've been tempted to throw my hands up. So, it's just my issues with it really.

There are moments when I go to coffee hour and see these girls dressed in Serbian getups, hear Russian all around the place, hear my priest speak Slavonic in the liturgy for blessings, watch Anglo Western red-blooded Americans trying to act Russian, and I just shake my head saying, "Lord, return me to St. Patrick, St. Francis, and the West! What am I doing here!?" then I calm down, put my feelings to the side, suck it up, and keep on truckin'....but I still have those nagging "these aren't my saints. I'm not Russian or Serb, Greek or Bulgarian. I'm Western." I can't help it. I just fight those feelings off.

Sometimes we can't help the way we feel I guess. Like I said, I'll take Ash Wednesday ANYDAY over Forgiveness Vespers. That was something even my wife didn't like at all. Yet 9 out of 10 Orthodox tell me it's absolutely Earth-shattering, moving, touching, and really powerful for them. So, it must be ME! When people were thrilled at Pentecost, I was about ready to fall over dead from the 3.5 hour liturgy. I was told Pascha was the ULTIMATE liturgy. It was ok, but I didn't think it meant any more to me than Easter Morning Mass as a Catholic. I actually liked Mass better for Easter because it was short enough that I could feel the power of the Resurrection and the excitement of it all and hear and understand the readings and sermon. At my parish, John's blood-curdling yelling overpowers all listening for me, and the sermons are so long I get glazed in the eyes and zone out. And the length of Pascha, the lateness of it, the exhaustion, I didn't feel what others feel. I personally think I'm just a bad guy for not having the same reaction. It's not Orthodoxy, it's me.

So please know that these ARE my feelings, but I'm 100% willing to say that I'm just a bad dude with a bad heart who is not as receptive as the rest of you good folks. I'm just not reacting as I should. I'm VERY much more intellectual about Orthodoxy, and not as emotional or excited about it. What has kept me grounded is seeing my two handsome little boys wearing their robes being altar boys. I have tried to hang in there for them. As for me, I'm just a religious failure....

Well Gurney, if you can't come here to TAW and discuss your frustrations, where can you go? Seriously, this is a very sympathetic group of people and I don't think you brought anybody down. I was being a smart aleck, for which I apologize.

God bless,
Xenia

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gurney, if it wasn't for the fact that you live in Visalia and have little kids, I would be sure you are this gentleman I know who has the same feelings you have. He doesn't like the long services, the Slavonic, and many other things about Orthodoxy. Like you, he joined Orthodoxy for intellectual reasons and never really clicked with the long liturgies, prayers, and ethnic enthusiasms. I haven't seen him or his wife in over a year and I worry about them. (We have had a few very short email exchanges so I know he's still alive.)

God has made it so easy for me. Maybe he knows I would probably fall away if he didn't coddle me. My parish is within walking distance. While it's an ethnic parish, the people are very warm and have made my husband and me part of the family. We couldn't feel more loved. (Of course, my husband is very lovable!) They are happy to be Russians but they don't go overboard and expect us to be Russians. Our deacon has a wonderful voice, just like on the CDs. I adore Forgiveness Vespers and Pascha too. So taking all this into account, it's pretty easy for me to offer you advice. "Hey Gurney, just be happy like me!" But I have the perfect parish situation so it's easy for me to talk.*

Just keep praying and I believe a good solution will arise.

*But ironically, E.C.'s spiritual father doesn't think it's the perfect parish so who knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gurney,

My wife is the most un-Orthodox, orthodox person i know. She hates almost all of the same things you do about our services and praxis; yet she has the best attitude about how to treat others and how to love those around us who are the most unlovable. I share some of the feeling that much of this is a burden. Feelings are neither right, nor wrong...they are what they are. We cannot change a single thing about what we are feeling, only what we do about/with those feelings. What I would say is that if you are of good faith and can find the way to love God and seek His truth, what you feel about church activities is irrelevant at least, and perhaps an epiphany at best. You may be completely missing what "church" has to offer, but getting the message; or on the other hand, you may be the canary in your parishes coal mine and sounding the alarm for many people going astray. Either way, you should retreat into the comfort of your family and embrace the Lord God with all your heart and soul. If you stay open to His love, whether it is coming from your parish or not, you will be rewarded greatly in Heaven.

Prayers...

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was going to answer your earlier post and say I am one of the happy ones. Happy with Church at least. Life is ... difficult at times, LOL. Church is like coming up from drowning for a gulp of air before going back to swimming the depths. But Church? I'm happy with Church. It's my lifeline.

I didn't want to be over-enthusiastic for Gurney's sake though. It doesn't seem kind, but the truth is, we are just in different places I guess, with different problems and different needs. In so many ways, from what I know of Gurney's life, he and I are opposites, in fact, as far as our current experiences go. Except neither of us is seeing enough of our spouse right now and we both have a long drive to Church. :)

God has made it so easy for me. Maybe he knows I would probably fall away if he didn't coddle me. My parish is within walking distance. While it's an ethnic parish, the people are very warm and have made my husband and me part of the family. We couldn't feel more loved. (Of course, my husband is very lovable!) They are happy to be Russians but they don't go overboard and expect us to be Russians. Our deacon has a wonderful voice, just like on the CDs. I adore Forgiveness Vespers and Pascha too. So taking all this into account, it's pretty easy for me to offer you advice. "Hey Gurney, just be happy like me!" But I have the perfect parish situation so it's easy for me to talk.*

And I think maybe this is it. God has certainly coddled me at times. And pushed me hard at other times. Every step of the way, I'm sure it was exactly what I needed. But in so many ways my life and my spiritual experiences have been very extraordinary (both good and bad) but what I needed at the time, once I gained enough maturity to look back and evaluate things more clearly.

He coddled me a LOT when I first started following Him. Then later put me through extraordinarily difficult situations. And so on, in cycles. Church is probably my "coddling" right now, while life is not as difficult as in times past (at least I know where my daughter is!) but still challenging in some ways.

I'm probably one of the weak ones that can't take too much spiritual difficulty for too long. Spiritual angst is TERRIBLE for me. So in my weakness, I think He is careful not to overtax my strength to hang on.

Gurney - that probably means you are much stronger than I am!!! I know YOU have been MY strength a few times, and very helpful in PMs to me. I think that's why I wish especially so much for you to have some relief from these problems you have.

I'm hesitant to offer suggestions or advice, because I don't feel I have wisdom in these things. But my prayers are most certainly with you!

*But ironically, E.C.'s spiritual father doesn't think it's the perfect parish so who knows.

LOL, you never know, Xenia. :) Maybe EC's spiritual father was concerned that he might develop too much ethno-centrism related to your parish's jurisdiction? Or some other issue particular to EC that in no way really reflects on your parish. :) That was my thought, anyway. :)

Fr. M has told several of us that if we go to a monastery within the next year or so, to be careful confessing there. Not that there is anything wrong with monasteries, but he doesn't like the idea of new converts possibly being treated more strictly than they are ready for. I get the impression from the way he speaks to me that he doesn't want to be strict at ALL with me anyway, which I didn't like at first, but I have realized why, and found he was right.

You never know. :) I am thankful for my priest's wisdom though. I wasn't sure for the first few months if he was really paying attention to anything personally relating to me, and didn't yet "trust" him for really personal guidance. I thought I would have to take his knowledge and apply it myself. But I'm glad to learn that I was very wrong. Anyway, sorry, rambling. :)

God bless.

And Joseph - you and your family are in my prayers. :crosseo:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, we are in different spots. When I was finally resigned to Orthodoxy and about to be chrismated, I was super happy-peppy-smiling and really on fire to make it work. I was pretty amped up. Now, after 3 years and some definite disappointments as well as some missing my old "Western" life, it's a touch different. It's like the teaching profession. When you go to college (that's like being a catechumen), you are SOOOOO excited to become a teacher! You fantasize what your classroom will be like when you finally get one. You picture yourself delivering lessons and the kids loving it! You imagine taking broken kids from hellish homes and issues and completely turning them around, and you imagine working for a nice principals and friendly teachers, supportive parents, and college readiness when your kids leave. Well, when you REALLY get your classroom you realize your fellow teachers are a bunch of back-biting vampires who aren't that bright, very selfish and into cliques, gossipy, and often times incompetent. You find the parents are more of an opponent than help, and the principal is a purely political animal with the veneer of wanting the best for kids. You find that your entire day is a full-on WAR! It's a battle for the kids' attention. They have the worst focus you can possibly imagine. Then you have kids with mental issues, kids who are abused, kids who have ADHD, kids who could care less, parents who are in gangs, etc. The system isn't geared to teach, but rather is overwhelmingly unrealistic and dishonest.

The honeymoon in teaching is over at the very latest, in 5 years. That is the standard rule. If you've worked five years in teaching, you're burned out. Well, I'm 17 years in!!! LOL

Same with Orthodoxy for me. My godparents turned out bizarre. The lovely liturgy I met as a visitor has been usurped by a yeller. The priest I adored turns out more political and cronyish than I had realized. The people are more cliquish and clannish than I anticipated. Several of the people I really liked have left. My priest, whom I thought was supportive of our parenting (Kate and I), has let me down in some comments about our education choices, and I've found that the priest I first met who LOVED a good joke now gets offended most of the time I tell him one. The priest I liked because he's NOT political talks politics practically every week (Tea party variety that is).

And then take into account the priests I've encountered since joining up----

You all know my priest has disappointed me on many fronts

When I first joined up I got in contact with a priest who is a friend of Father's in Northern California to help me understand some theological points. This priest was VERY supportive of me. After a few months in the OC, however, this priest verbally accosted me. When I told him that I was trying to understand evolution and how to reconcile it with Orthodoxy, and that I was asking parishioners their views on it, he verbally tongue-lashed me in an email saying that I have a lot of guts going into a new parish and trying to force my liberal evolution views on these poor people, not respecting their faith and making coffee hour a hostile place. He gave me a 'how dare you' email that left my jaw hanging open.

Then we had a priest visit us who was VERY unfriendly.

Then I found the Greek priest to be a bit standoffish and put-out by me.

Then when I got in contact with an Antiochean priest down South about trying to start an Orthodox Church in my own area, he kept trying to coordinate a phone conference with him, and every time I called he wouldn't answer or he'd be away and promise to call me the next day, wouldn't, then would forget to email me back, then tells me to call, then doesn't answer, in this crazy cycle over and over until we never spoke again.

It just seems to me that I have yet to meet an Orthodox priest that truly captures me and inspires. I've had a series of just bad experiences. I can't say the same with when I was an Anglican. My goodness, priest after priest whom I met WAS OUTSTANDING! In my area, they're the most pastoral, awesome listeners, full of good advice, and quick to care. The Catholics are fairly apathetic and shallow.

I have a bit of a reluctance to want to meet any new Orthodox priests. I've just had a lot of bad experiences. Most people I know can hardly wait to visit new EO parishes on their travels, etc. Me? I have little desire.

All morning today I've felt an emptiness, a shallow pit in me wishing I could worship this morning. I feel a pull not only to go to Confession, but to worship. I hate staying home today. Kate's in bed sleeping, oblivious to the problem since she works nights, my kids having a blast outside playing, but I'm here longing to worship the Living God. But I'm sad to say, and I'm just being honest, that I don't want to stand for 2 hours up there, then have 40-day memorial prayers for a guy I don't know, listen to that endless bulletin reading, hear the banshee-like shouting of the deacon, and have to suffer through his wife ignoring me and then giving me this obligatory "how are you" quick out-the-door stuff....then go to coffee hour and have nobody sit with me.

So I yearn to worship, but I'm sad to say I'm repelled at the thought of "that" worship. I just keep missing the old worship life I had before Orthodoxy.

I just keep telling myself this will pass. But I'm tired of having this angst, this gloom, hit me every six months or so. I think, 'will I have to fight and grapple with this gloom and frustration for the rest of my Orthodox life?'

Oh well. I'm going to go work out at the gym and get something accomplished I guess. But there is a void....and I'm just not sure how to fill it.

Thanks for the prayers. Thanks also for the kind words about me inspiring and aiding you. I guess it's my turn to need it!

I was going to answer your earlier post and say I am one of the happy ones. Happy with Church at least. Life is ... difficult at times, LOL. Church is like coming up from drowning for a gulp of air before going back to swimming the depths. But Church? I'm happy with Church. It's my lifeline.

I didn't want to be over-enthusiastic for Gurney's sake though. It doesn't seem kind, but the truth is, we are just in different places I guess, with different problems and different needs. In so many ways, from what I know of Gurney's life, he and I are opposites, in fact, as far as our current experiences go. Except neither of us is seeing enough of our spouse right now and we both have a long drive to Church. :)

And I think maybe this is it. God has certainly coddled me at times. And pushed me hard at other times. Every step of the way, I'm sure it was exactly what I needed. But in so many ways my life and my spiritual experiences have been very extraordinary (both good and bad) but what I needed at the time, once I gained enough maturity to look back and evaluate things more clearly.

He coddled me a LOT when I first started following Him. Then later put me through extraordinarily difficult situations. And so on, in cycles. Church is probably my "coddling" right now, while life is not as difficult as in times past (at least I know where my daughter is!) but still challenging in some ways.

I'm probably one of the weak ones that can't take too much spiritual difficulty for too long. Spiritual angst is TERRIBLE for me. So in my weakness, I think He is careful not to overtax my strength to hang on.

Gurney - that probably means you are much stronger than I am!!! I know YOU have been MY strength a few times, and very helpful in PMs to me. I think that's why I wish especially so much for you to have some relief from these problems you have.

I'm hesitant to offer suggestions or advice, because I don't feel I have wisdom in these things. But my prayers are most certainly with you!

LOL, you never know, Xenia. :) Maybe EC's spiritual father was concerned that he might develop too much ethno-centrism related to your parish's jurisdiction? Or some other issue particular to EC that in no way really reflects on your parish. :) That was my thought, anyway. :)

Fr. M has told several of us that if we go to a monastery within the next year or so, to be careful confessing there. Not that there is anything wrong with monasteries, but he doesn't like the idea of new converts possibly being treated more strictly than they are ready for. I get the impression from the way he speaks to me that he doesn't want to be strict at ALL with me anyway, which I didn't like at first, but I have realized why, and found he was right.

You never know. :) I am thankful for my priest's wisdom though. I wasn't sure for the first few months if he was really paying attention to anything personally relating to me, and didn't yet "trust" him for really personal guidance. I thought I would have to take his knowledge and apply it myself. But I'm glad to learn that I was very wrong. Anyway, sorry, rambling. :)

God bless.

And Joseph - you and your family are in my prayers. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, we are in different spots. When I was finally resigned to Orthodoxy and about to be chrismated, I was super happy-peppy-smiling and really on fire to make it work. I was pretty amped up. Now, after 3 years and some definite disappointments as well as some missing my old "Western" life, it's a touch different. It's like the teaching profession. When you go to college (that's like being a catechumen), you are SOOOOO excited to become a teacher! You fantasize what your classroom will be like when you finally get one. You picture yourself delivering lessons and the kids loving it! You imagine taking broken kids from hellish homes and issues and completely turning them around, and you imagine working for a nice principals and friendly teachers, supportive parents, and college readiness when your kids leave. Well, when you REALLY get your classroom you realize your fellow teachers are a bunch of back-biting vampires who aren't that bright, very selfish and into cliques, gossipy, and often times incompetent. You find the parents are more of an opponent than help, and the principal is a purely political animal with the veneer of wanting the best for kids. You find that your entire day is a full-on WAR! It's a battle for the kids' attention. They have the worst focus you can possibly imagine. Then you have kids with mental issues, kids who are abused, kids who have ADHD, kids who could care less, parents who are in gangs, etc. The system isn't geared to teach, but rather is overwhelmingly unrealistic and dishonest.

The honeymoon in teaching is over at the very latest, in 5 years. That is the standard rule. If you've worked five years in teaching, you're burned out. Well, I'm 17 years in!!! LOL

Same with Orthodoxy for me. My godparents turned out bizarre. The lovely liturgy I met as a visitor has been usurped by a yeller. The priest I adored turns out more political and cronyish than I had realized. The people are more cliquish and clannish than I anticipated. Several of the people I really liked have left. My priest, whom I thought was supportive of our parenting (Kate and I), has let me down in some comments about our education choices, and I've found that the priest I first met who LOVED a good joke now gets offended most of the time I tell him one. The priest I liked because he's NOT political talks politics practically every week (Tea party variety that is).

And then take into account the priests I've encountered since joining up----

You all know my priest has disappointed me on many fronts

When I first joined up I got in contact with a priest who is a friend of Father's in Northern California to help me understand some theological points. This priest was VERY supportive of me. After a few months in the OC, however, this priest verbally accosted me. When I told him that I was trying to understand evolution and how to reconcile it with Orthodoxy, and that I was asking parishioners their views on it, he verbally tongue-lashed me in an email saying that I have a lot of guts going into a new parish and trying to force my liberal evolution views on these poor people, not respecting their faith and making coffee hour a hostile place. He gave me a 'how dare you' email that left my jaw hanging open.

Then we had a priest visit us who was VERY unfriendly.

Then I found the Greek priest to be a bit standoffish and put-out by me.

Then when I got in contact with an Antiochean priest down South about trying to start an Orthodox Church in my own area, he kept trying to coordinate a phone conference with him, and every time I called he wouldn't answer or he'd be away and promise to call me the next day, wouldn't, then would forget to email me back, then tells me to call, then doesn't answer, in this crazy cycle over and over until we never spoke again.

It just seems to me that I have yet to meet an Orthodox priest that truly captures me and inspires. I've had a series of just bad experiences. I can't say the same with when I was an Anglican. My goodness, priest after priest whom I met WAS OUTSTANDING! In my area, they're the most pastoral, awesome listeners, full of good advice, and quick to care. The Catholics are fairly apathetic and shallow.

I have a bit of a reluctance to want to meet any new Orthodox priests. I've just had a lot of bad experiences. Most people I know can hardly wait to visit new EO parishes on their travels, etc. Me? I have little desire.

All morning today I've felt an emptiness, a shallow pit in me wishing I could worship this morning. I feel a pull not only to go to Confession, but to worship. I hate staying home today. Kate's in bed sleeping, oblivious to the problem since she works nights, my kids having a blast outside playing, but I'm here longing to worship the Living God. But I'm sad to say, and I'm just being honest, that I don't want to stand for 2 hours up there, then have 40-day memorial prayers for a guy I don't know, listen to that endless bulletin reading, hear the banshee-like shouting of the deacon, and have to suffer through his wife ignoring me and then giving me this obligatory "how are you" quick out-the-door stuff....then go to coffee hour and have nobody sit with me.

So I yearn to worship, but I'm sad to say I'm repelled at the thought of "that" worship. I just keep missing the old worship life I had before Orthodoxy.

I just keep telling myself this will pass. But I'm tired of having this angst, this gloom, hit me every six months or so. I think, 'will I have to fight and grapple with this gloom and frustration for the rest of my Orthodox life?'

Oh well. I'm going to go work out at the gym and get something accomplished I guess. But there is a void....and I'm just not sure how to fill it.

Thanks for the prayers. Thanks also for the kind words about me inspiring and aiding you. I guess it's my turn to need it!

I regret that Holy Orthodoxy is not meeting your needs.

Actually, I think I am the problem here; everyone else on TAW seems to sympathise with your feelings. Reading about such frustrations and complaints is not good for my spiritual walk. Today, our choir was reduced to one person, who alone sang the most beautiful Divine Liturgy I have ever experienced. I was almost reduced to tears.

I choose to cherish that. I choose to look for the best in what the Church has to offer. I love Orthodoxy.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Sorry also about my lack of empathy. I hope you can find a satisfactory solution.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess you're saying that I'm not good for you, and that you're not good for me. That's just plain sad, Jesus. Sad. What you're saying is that trying to talk with someone who is suffering isn't good so you'll cut them off like a cancer or something, so you need to stay away from me. It makes me sound like a spiritual Leper. I'm sorry that I haven't reacted as you have. You sound like a model for a proper Orthodox Christian. I wish I could be more like you. Please avoid me if I am creating a cancer for you.

Your choir situation makes perfect sense. I can't imagine myself being angry and de-spiritualized over a small choir either? I've been to church many times when our choir was having a VERY bad day and sounded awful OR the choir was tiny and ill-equipped, and never did that bother me in the least. I was never reduced to tears over it, but I always have been appreciative of it.

I think the problem is that you don't go to my parish, haven't been treated as I have, or had the bad luck of having certain things happen at certain times. Your godfather and priest never ganged up on you and you've never had a deacon blowing holes in your ears. It also doesn't sound like your parish is much like mine. Also, do you have to drive an hour with 3 kids? All I know is that Kylissa's, Xenia's, Matt's, and the rest of these folks' empathy and kind words and encouragement rather than, 'gurney, you're toxic to me' approach is far more likely to give me the shot in the arm to return to the church very soon.

I'm far far more likely to go to church next week with my wife than to not do so.....

Maybe I just need to leave CF if my struggle evokes such feelings in others. I'm sorry.....

I regret that Holy Orthodoxy is not meeting your needs.

Actually, I think I am the problem here; everyone else on TAW seems to sympathise with your feelings. Reading about such frustrations and complaints is not good for my spiritual walk. Today, our choir was reduced to one person, who alone sang the most beautiful Divine Liturgy I have ever experienced. I was almost reduced to tears.

I choose to cherish that. I choose to look for the best in what the Church has to offer. I love Orthodoxy.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. Sorry also about my lack of empathy. I hope you can find a satisfactory solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I have some paradoxes about me I'm willing to admit to having. I actually LOVE some of the Slavonic parts of the liturgy---especially the dostoyno yest It is Meet hymn to the Theotokos, etc. Some of the Slavonic sounds more spiritually natural to me than English. But what I don't like is when a ton of the prayers are done that way to the point that the people, who are about 50% English-speakers only, take over TOO much. Some weeks Father hits the Slavonic pretty darned hard.

I guess my point with the language stuff is that I feel like "what am I doing here?" being more of an Anglophile, a Western-minded guy, someone who'd much prefer Tolkien and Shakespeare to Dostoyevky, someone who'd much rather hear about St. Patrick, Ambrose, Augustine, and Hilary of Portiers than what are for me more foreign saints that I have no real cultural connection to.

I just tire of the foreignness. It feels weird. And I think it also gets to a point where it becomes a rite of passage for us to have to rubber stamp Russia, stick up for the Russians and Serbs no matter what, and blast our own Western governments. We focus on how Western governments are pro-gay but choose to overlook how Russia has been the most prolific abortion-machine in the world despite their pretensions at being Christian. I think we become selective in our outrage when we convert to the Orthodox faith to some degree due to a desire to stick up for our new ethnic team. I kind of don't like this. When my priest has told me that there WERE NO Serbian atrocities, that Milosovic is basically a good man who was a bit out of touch or misguided, but definitely not a war criminal, I guess that makes me want to vomit in my mouth a bit. I'm willing to blast America, the UK, and other countries that are a part of my heritage when they do sickening and immoral things. I just feel like the ethnic stuff can get out of hand. I like hearing another perspective, but I'm not sure I like hearing the lengths people will go to in order to gloss over the obvious and defend horrors.

Gurney, if it wasn't for the fact that you live in Visalia and have little kids, I would be sure you are this gentleman I know who has the same feelings you have. He doesn't like the long services, the Slavonic, and many other things about Orthodoxy. Like you, he joined Orthodoxy for intellectual reasons and never really clicked with the long liturgies, prayers, and ethnic enthusiasms. I haven't seen him or his wife in over a year and I worry about them. (We have had a few very short email exchanges so I know he's still alive.)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
continued prayers for you man. the Church will work itself out for you, as much as it might not seem like it. I know it might be hard to believe, but what you are going through is normal and good. hang in there man, even if a small reader's service and then going to Church with your family once in a while.

if those Western Orthodox Saints are the ones that you feel connection to, use that. delve into them as much as you can (I know you are burned out), and use that uniquely Western yet Orthodox mindset.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Gurney - I've told you by PM my thoughts and I can and DO understand the situation you are in.

I've come home this week saying " I want some decent Liturgy - in a Church where people know what they should be doing - and DO IT "

Choir - what's a choir - we just get on and sing - thankfully Father can sing well BUT he has his own 'stuff' to do. I suggested something the other week to him , and his reaction was - "yes it would work but you know that you would be attacked - look what happened when you started Chanting Psalm 50 during the Deacon's incensation at the start of Liturgy " Our folk seriously know NOTHING whether it's in English [ which they won't use and shout us down if we use it ] or Ukrainian. I've found anonymous letters in my pew when I've come back from Communion - objecting to me saying the Creed and Pre-Communion prayer QUIETLY in English .

Jesus4Madrid - if you've never been in this sort of situation it's a hard one to understand - some of us not of the ethnic background have great problems being accepted , sometimes we even have problems of being tolerated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess you're saying that I'm not good for you, and that you're not good for me. That's just plain sad, Jesus. Sad. What you're saying is that trying to talk with someone who is suffering isn't good so you'll cut them off like a cancer or something, so you need to stay away from me. It makes me sound like a spiritual Leper. I'm sorry that I haven't reacted as you have. You sound like a model for a proper Orthodox Christian. I wish I could be more like you. Please avoid me if I am creating a cancer for you.

Your choir situation makes perfect sense. I can't imagine myself being angry and de-spiritualized over a small choir either? I've been to church many times when our choir was having a VERY bad day and sounded awful OR the choir was tiny and ill-equipped, and never did that bother me in the least. I was never reduced to tears over it, but I always have been appreciative of it.

I think the problem is that you don't go to my parish, haven't been treated as I have, or had the bad luck of having certain things happen at certain times. Your godfather and priest never ganged up on you and you've never had a deacon blowing holes in your ears. It also doesn't sound like your parish is much like mine. Also, do you have to drive an hour with 3 kids? All I know is that Kylissa's, Xenia's, Matt's, and the rest of these folks' empathy and kind words and encouragement rather than, 'gurney, you're toxic to me' approach is far more likely to give me the shot in the arm to return to the church very soon.

I'm far far more likely to go to church next week with my wife than to not do so.....

Maybe I just need to leave CF if my struggle evokes such feelings in others. I'm sorry.....

My parish is far from perfect. The liturgy is mostly in Russian, which neither I nor my children understand. The sermons are often superficial. I have little in common with most of the parishioners. My RC wife won't join me because it is too "ethnic". Oh, and as we are often out of town, I too have to drive an hour.

So my parish sounds a bit like yours. Not perfect.

I choose to focus on the good and make up for the bad. I do a weekly family Bible study in order to ensure that my kids get some spiritual nourishment. I listen to Ancient Faith Radio to get theologically grounded. I don't spend too much time at coffee hour.

I guess I am an anomaly here, since I love Orthodoxy in spite of the onerous barriers. I am glad others here can sympathise with your frustrations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess I am an anomoly here, since I love Orthodoxy in spite of the onerous barriers. I am glad others here can sympathise with your frustrations.

you are not an anomaly, that is why we can sympathize with gurney.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
why is it weird and hard for me to imagine Russian in SPAIN!?! lol! When I think of Spain, why do I just totally not imagine Russians there!? :p^_^

My parish is far from perfect. The liturgy is mostly in Russian, which neither I nor my children understand. The sermons are often superficial. I have little in common with most of the parishioners. My RC wife won't join me because it is too "ethnic". Oh, and as we are often out of town, I too have to drive an hour.

So my parish sounds a bit like yours. Not perfect.

I choose to focus on the good and make up for the bad. I do a weekly family Bible study in order to ensure that my kids get some spiritual nourishment. I listen to Ancient Faith Radio to get theologically grounded. I don't spend too much time at coffee hour.

I guess I am an anomaly here, since I love Orthodoxy in spite of the onerous barriers. I am glad others here can sympathise with your frustrations.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For a long time, GB, I floated the idea past Kate of us staying Catholic and just pinching our nose and enduring the Novus Ordo Mass 2-3 weeks per month, and once or twice a month going up to Fresno to attend the Latin Tridentine Mass to get the fullness of the Catholic liturgy. Well, Kate was VERY intimidated at the thought of Latin. Me? I was pumped at the idea! I love dead languages! For me, I already knew some odds and ends of the responses just from reading and watching videos and hearing some pieces at regular Mass during Lent, etc. I thought it would be great to have OPTIONS. There are Saturday Vigil Masses (N.O.) all over here in town, plenty of times for confession, and if I got tired of the modernistic junk in the regular N.O. Mass, I could flee to Fresno (when I felt up to it!) and attend the Latin.

Kate was pretty fried on Catholicism in general, mostly from the natural family planning stuff and she felt the whole thing too legalistic. Well, I had been dabbling in reading about Holy Orthodoxy. I was reading Father Meyendorff's stuff, and found him very, very compelling. I read the Kallistos Ware book, was watching the liturgy on Youtube and elsewhere, and it seemed enigmatic, but a part of me couldn't buy in to the idea of worshipping in the Greek/Russian/Antiochean/Bulgarian/Serbian traditions that have NOTHING to do with my cultural heritage whatsoever. It just felt weird. Frankly, it still does! When I went to a Catholic funeral about six months ago, dipping my fingers in the holy water, genuflecting, kneeling, seeing that crucifix behind the altar, it just felt like home. I go to my own Orthodox parish, I have this weird feeling of being a glorified visitor or "honorary" member, but it just still feels weird. I know I definitely don't feel like I matter there much in the least to much of anyone.

So do I like Western liturgical worship? Yes. I do. Latin Tridentine is incredible, the Anglican Rite II liturgies are AMAZING, and even the Novus Ordo can be just fine if the priest and deacon and church can control the situation and keep the music folks from going nuts strumming guitars and holding hands during the Pater Noster, and keeping the 2,000 extraordinary Eucharistic ministers at bay! ^_^

I think it's unfortunate that Holy Orthodoxy lacks variation. The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil the Great are IT, man. They are IT. The Russians have this intense disdain for Western Rite Orthodoxy. I hate that. I'm not suggesting that Orthodoxy go liberal and have variety in the vein of kumbaya, I'm just saying different expressions, different modes of worship would be nice. It's to the Orthodox as if Western worship of ANY kind is somehow suspect and vile. I don't like that. Never did. For the first 1,000 years when Catholic and Orthodox were one, the West never had the Divine Liturgy, and they were fully Orthodox, just Western. I don't understand why our DL is the only game in town and Western everything is disliked to such a high degree. You should hear our deacon (the one who yells) talk about how organs in a church are tantamount to pure evil. It's weird.....

Gurney, can you see yourself being happy in a Western Liturgical Church?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have heard the ethnic issues that to many, seem to be the worst problem in Orthodoxy. I guess I have just never really seen it. If it exists in any of the parishes I visited, I wasn't there long enough to see it. But I have heard it is a serious problem in some places, and I'm really surprised, especially by Xenia's comments - that is sad.

We have a man who comes to our (Greek) parish who is from - Turkey? I'm not sure? He calls God "Allah" - I'm not sure which/how many countries do that. His practices are VERY different from ours. No one minds that part. Unfortunately though he does things in such a way as to be very disruptive - he has a fine voice, and very loud, but he will sing "his version" of things and drown out everything else - it's very disconcerting. Last week, someone just complimented him on his voice. But the Church does try to ask him not to be quite so loud. I don't think they are anti-ethcnicity though. We have Ukranians and Ethiopians that attend our parish and no problems. One Ethiopian lady is in charge of several important things.

But I hear things - this Church is prejudiced against that one, and specific Churches are very ethno-centric. The having to identify with the particular ethnicity against one's own and sweeping all the "issues" under the carpet is kind of bizarre though. I have no experience with that either (though Greeks in general are very proud of their heritage - that's as far as I have experienced).

I don't know - politics or government associated with the Church seems odd to me too. I guess that in the case of Constantinople in the beginning, it made for the ability for Christians to worship openly and not expect to be martyred en masse. But a church-state arrangement just seems too potentially compromising for the Church.

I guess there are problems everywhere. Sometimes just different problems.

Upvote 0