the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What fail-safe do you have to check if the voter-logs are correct? If you gave 200 eligible and 200 votes was it a 100% turnout or did illegals vote? Without a proper census you cannot check for people that are ineligible due to citizenship.

Because they keep a record of who voted, and whether a single person attempts to vote multiple times, based on the voting roles.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because that question is meant to intimidate immigrants to not participate and thus result in an undercount. The President knows this would primarily disadvantage districts that don’t support him.

"intimidate immigrants"

Why would "immigrants" legally in this country be intimidated?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because they keep a record of who voted, and whether a single person attempts to vote multiple times, based on the voting roles.

That is one form of check. You are correct. How do we assure non citizens are not voting?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, Hank, you are supposed to be a US citizen to vote--and that only applies to federal offices since non-citizens already have the right to vote in local races in some states. That will probably expand as soon as the numbers are right for it, since the supporters of the idea are already calling for it. And of course that is to say nothing of the tens of thousands of illegals who vote right now anyway.
We are talking about the votes for President only. By popular vote rather than the electoral votes.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What fail-safe do you have to check if the voter-logs are correct? If you gave 200 eligible and 200 votes was it a 100% turnout or did illegals vote? Without a proper census you cannot check for people that are ineligible due to citizenship.

What are you talking about? Census forms are anonymous. There's no way to tie what's written on a census form with a particular person registering to vote. A census in no way shape or form helps with voting eligibility.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"intimidate immigrants"

Being here legal does not mean immunity from deportation. This administration is not immigrant friendly. Why should they trust the information won’t be used against them? It doesn’t even mean it’s a rational fear, but it can be enough of a fear to avoid filling out the form all together.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"intimidate immigrants"

Good question. But both the Census Bureau and the architects of the plan to ask the question came to that conclusion.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What are you talking about? Census forms are anonymous. There's no way to tie what's written on a census form with a particular person registering to vote. A census in no way shape or form helps with voting eligibility.

Census forms are not anonymous.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is one form of check. You are correct. How do we assure non citizens are not voting?

Again, it is checked when the person registers to vote. Some type of verification is typically done before voting, such as matching the signature.

The more important question: How would a census question help make it more secure? Are you saying people wouldn't like on the census, but they would lie when they show up to vote? They wouldn't lie an an anonymously filled out census form but would lie when they are being checked by a poll worker?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Census forms are not anonymous.

They aren't? Since when? Every time I've filled out a census form it is one that was in my mailbox, I took in my home and filled it out. There is absolutely no good way for the Census bureau to know if I filled it out or if someone stole it out of my mailbox and filled it out.

I suppose you mean that I fill my name out on the census form. Yet that wasn't the point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They aren't? Since when? Every time I've filled out a census form it is one that was in my mailbox, I took in my home and filled it out. There is absolutely no good way for the Census bureau to know if I filled it out or if someone stole it out of my mailbox and filled it out.

I don't know. Always? Here are the forms from 2010 and 1990:
https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1990_questionnaire.pdf
https://www.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010_Questionnaire_Info.pdf

I suppose you mean that I fill my name out on the census form.

Well, yeah. Is there another meaning of the word "anonymous" I'm not aware of?

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Being here legal does not mean immunity from deportation. This administration is not immigrant friendly. Why should they trust the information won’t be used against them? It doesn’t even mean it’s a rational fear, but it can be enough of a fear to avoid filling out the form all together.

If your here legally they already have your info, and the individual has either a green card or visa. Unless you abscond, or overstay your visa and the like. The only people intimidated are those who have broken immigration laws while in the US or are here illegally in the first place.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Since you are concerned about this and do not appear to be very well informed it would be a useful exercise for you to visit your local Registrar of Voters and find out. Be an informed citizen.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. Always? Here are the forms from 2010 and 1990:
https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1990_questionnaire.pdf
https://www.census.gov/2010census/pdf/2010_Questionnaire_Info.pdf

Well, yeah. Is there another meaning of the word "anonymous" I'm not aware of?

What I understood from the post is that he was misusing "anonymous" -- that what he actually meant is privately -- "anonymous" in that they don't know who filled it out, other than the name they give on the form. I could, or someone who stole the form out of my mailbox, write that my name is George Jetson on the census form and that I have 15 children, a wife and two girlfriends living here, and they would have a tough time proving who it was that actually filled it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1.They have to prove citizenship when they register to vote.
2.Every time they vote they must show a photo ID that matches the registery records that the polling people have on file.

Because foreign countries are trying to hack into our electronic voting machines the machines should print a paper ballot of each person's individual votes, that can be matched to the machine totals. The voter can check that their vote was properly registered before turning in the paper ballot.

The census is only taken every 10 yrs. So during that time even a small city's population could change so that the census numbers could be worthless in just a couple of yrs.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I understood from the post is that he was misusing "anonymous" -- that what he actually meant is privately -- "anonymous" in that they don't know who filled it out, other than the name they give on the form. I could, or someone who stole the form out of my mailbox, write that my name is George Jetson on the census form and that I have 15 children, a wife and two girlfriends living here, and they would have a tough time proving who it was that actually filled it out.

Well giving false info is illegal. So is refusing to answer it. And it is not anonymous. They know exactly what form went to what household.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
1.They have to prove citizenship when they register to vote.
2.Every time they vote they must show a photo ID that matches the registery records that the polling people have on file.

Because foreign countries are trying to hack into our electronic voting machines the machines should print a paper ballot of each person's individual votes, that can be matched to the machine totals. The voter can check that their vote was properly registered before turning in the paper ballot.

The census is only taken every 10 yrs. So during that time even a small city's population could change so that the census numbers could be worthless in just a couple of yrs.

I agree that a census is not the be all end all.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well giving false info is illegal. So is refusing to answer it. And it is not anonymous. They know exactly what form went to what household.

They know it went to a certain household -- and I suspect that if someone filled out that George Jetson and 15 kids lived in my home that they'd likely flag it and send a census worker to visit and double check the information. That wouldn't help them know who filled out the information -- it is still anonymous.

As for it being illegal, why would that matter -- no one ever breaks the law? If they had a citizenship question, it would stop illegals from stating they are citizens?

Also, I'd be curious to hear of all the people who have been prosecuted for not filling out census forms? Particularly when the evidence is that millions aren't counted in each census.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If your here legally they already have your info, and the individual has either a green card or visa. Unless you abscond, or overstay your visa and the like. The only people intimidated are those who have broken immigration laws while in the US or are here illegally in the first place.
Immigrant groups have been targeted for deportation in the past, yes even the legal ones. As I said, this administration is not immigrant friendly. If I was a legal immigrant I would be very leery of how my information might be used and likely skip it.

Upvote 0