• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by morningstar2651, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Strongly Agree

6.3%
  2. Agree

3.8%
  3. Neutral

6.3%
  4. Disagree

8.9%
  5. Strongly Disagree

74.7%
  1. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+15,519
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yes, well you know that a great president once said, "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Trump is yet to figure that one out.

The Supreme Court made their ruling based on their interpretation of the Constitution. I have no reason to doubt their expertise in these matters, since that is the job they are appointed to do. If they say the First Amendment covers offensive acts against the flag, even burning it, it's because it covers offensive acts against the flag even burning it, because the legal panel we have to make these determinations used their knowledge of American Law and jurisprudence to come to exactly that decision.

2. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    It being such a good question, you shouldn't have any difficulty answering it.

3. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    "deserve" respect or are entitled to respect?

Ban it so that nobody is offended?

4. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    He pushes this issue, and we'll have to write it off as a failure.

5. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,673
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    "Good question" meant one that's difficult to answer. Technically of course, the answer's "no". But as I said, neither answer "yes" or "no" would be relevant.

6. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    Ah, but it is relevant -- because your "no" answer just gave the government the power to censor any and all forms of non-verbal communication it sees fit. Anti-government art is now verboten, which includes any political cartoons that are uncaptioned. When one remembers that literacy rates in the time of the founding fathers weren't optimal (a condition that sadly, hasn't improved nearly enough), one realizes the implications.

I assume you aren't familiar with this quote attributed to corrupt Tammany Hall "Boss" Tweed: Stop the [censored] pictures! I don't care what the papers write about me. My constituents can't read, but [censored] it, they can see the pictures!

Congratulations: you've just handed the government a powerful tool to silence dissent.

7. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    I don't -- not so sure about Chesterton.

8. variant

variant Happy Cat

+4,070
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well I know that, but some people here seem to think the Constitution was meant to only protect certain very specific things and read in the most narrow way.

The barring against cruel and unusual punishment would for instance would only protect against punishments that are both cruel and unusual but not simply cruel punishments, or simply unusual punishments.

Why some people would want the government having the ability to openly censor pictures, Facebook, the internet at large, so that they can feel better that no one is burning a specific cloth meant to represent the country is beyond me in the first place.

9. Ihatebeingamish

Ihatebeingamish Newbie Supporter

+2
    Atheist
    Single
    I just try to make sure that any flag I burn was not made in the USA.
    [​IMG]
    Just trying to Make America Great Again!

10. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I don't know if this was in response to me, but even if it's not, it's a truly terrific response.

You don't know! Shame on you. What's that? What do I think the answer is? Well...I'm not going to tell you. But I know! I swear I do. I have a great answer to that question. A tremendous answer. I have the best answers. But I won't tell you. It's so good, I won't tell anyone.

11. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,673
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It already has that power.
    For the third time, setting fire to a flag is not art.

12. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    Actually, it doesn't -- but feel free to explain otherwise.

Because you say it's not?

13. Hessmix

Hessmix New Member

+9
    Nazarene
    Single
    US-Others
    Throwing in my two cents:

I publicly support the right for someone to go out, buy an American flag and then light it on fire. I publicly condemn anyone who steals a flag and lights it on fire. If said person steals that flag to light it on fire get ready for me to rush in and grab it. If said person then has a problem with that they can feel free to bring it up with me but I can guarantee they won't like my answer. In addition to being raised up Christian, I believe my parents instilled in me a great sense of Patriotism.

tl;dr buying a flag and lighting it on fire is fine. Stealing it to light it on fire is and should be criminally punishable

14. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+15,519
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Define art.

15. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Yup you have it. I am sure that if they try they will know instead of trying to bait me

16. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+6,379
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    :oldthumbsup: Welcome to CF

17. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    And give a reason to accept such a definition as binding and enforceable.

18. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The tag, "it's art" cannot be used to justify any action to the whim of the offender.

19. TLK Valentine

+16,642
    Agnostic
    Single
    That's not a definition. Please give a definition of "art."

20. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    You think you are being baited into answering a question about who won't tolerate flag-burners?