Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Do you agree with the president elect's tweet?

• Total voters

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I remember back before the election when people told me this kind of thing wouldn't happen and I said he would advocate for removing people's rights.

No. You should not lose citizenship and it should also not be illegal. It is a protected form of expression that has twice been upheld by the Supreme Court. I don't like it and would never do it, but if I restricted everything I don't like I'd be in trouble.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I remember back before the election when people told me this kind of thing wouldn't happen and I said he would advocate for removing people's rights.

No. You should not lose citizenship and it should also not be illegal. It is a protected form of expression that has twice been upheld by the Supreme Court. I don't like it and would never do it, but if I restricted everything I don't like I'd be in trouble.
Supreme Court does not know how to read. Speech is protected, not "expression". If the founding fathers believed expression should be protected, they would have said so.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Supreme Court does not know how to read. Speech is protected, not "expression". If the founding fathers believed expression should be protected, they would have said so.

If the founding fathers had wanted us to have paper money, they wouldn't have only left the option of minting coins in the Constitution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
As the late Justice Scalia said in 2015,

“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag... But I am not king.”

Whether we like it or not, there is a right to freedom of expression, and the Supreme Court has upheld this right in the past. I can't see the Supreme Court ever allowing such a prohibition, I'm pretty sure both conservative and liberal justices would agree on this one.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If the founding fathers thought slavery shouldn't be legal they would have said so.

Back to the OP - do you agree with the president-elect?

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It appears you do not understand free speech. Speech is not just oral or written.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the founding fathers thought slavery shouldn't be legal they would have said so.

Back to the OP - do you agree with the president-elect?

Yes because burning the nation's flag to me is tantamount to renouncing citizenship anyway, or worse, declaring yourself an enemy of the nation.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

If you're going to take it literally, I'm going to take it literally. The Constitution gives the government the ability to mint. Minting has to do with coins and is not related to paper money which is printed. Since it doesn't mention printing paper money, we have to assume by your own standard that paper money is unconstitutional.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Even originalists (like Scalia) look at both the Constitution and its historical context, the intent of the framers, commentators and the legislative history. Originalism does not mean ripping the Constitution out of its surroundings and the thoughts of the framers.

Upvote 0