• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by morningstar2651, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Strongly Agree

6.3%
  2. Agree

3.8%
  3. Neutral

6.3%
  4. Disagree

8.9%
  5. Strongly Disagree

74.7%
  1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Clearly then the Founding Fathers intended the First Amendment to cover more than just "speech."

The name above the writing, you mean... surely this "Chesterton" fellow knows the difference between speech and writing, doesn't he?

2. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    By the way, what do you folks think the chances are, that if Trump tweeted that flag burning should be completely legal, all of these Trump Supporters would be singing a different tune on here?

3. variant

variant Happy Cat

+4,061
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well they specifically protected the press, but most of our writing is done digitally now.

4. variant

variant Happy Cat

+4,061
    Agnostic
    Single
    I don't think I would be here to argue with them.

5. TLK Valentine

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest -- the followers wait for their Great Leader to speak, so they can chant "me too!"

6. TLK Valentine

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Ah, but "the Press" might only refer to professional printers, who used an actual printing press.

[​IMG]

They never did say all writing, just as they never said "expression," did they?

7. expos4ever

expos4ever Left This Site

+2,808
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    As I have already written, I suggest it is a priori plausible that fire is "burned" onto our neurons (pun intended) as the ultimate symbol of mindless destruction. Fire destroys, and it does so in a chaotic and uncontrollable manner. It is hard to think of something that would be a better symbol to incite the inner "irrational man" that seeks to wreak destruction as the means to solve a problem.

I am puzzled that people do not see this - I suggest it is no coincidence that flag-burning is often, not always I concede but nevertheless often, accompanied by frenzied, out-of-control chants for the death of some group of people.

Fire is so primal, and so destructive and chaotic that I believe its use in symbolic burnings presents a risk for incitement to violence that is higher than for other forms of "speech".

8. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Well...Black Friday.

Consider that it's hooey.

Yeah, you never see good out-of-control chants for death without fire.

Which has caused more riots? Fire, or the Vancouver Canucks losing the Stanley Cup finals?

9. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+5,732
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    This reminds me of my favorite bit of counter snark. Meme A suggests that the second amendment should only apply to eighteenth century arms. Meme B replies does that mean the first amendment should only protect eighteenth century methods of communication?

OT I know but there it is.

10. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    This country if you are a part of it deserves a level of respect. The flag is a part of that. You dont have to agree with everything the country dioes butyou should have a love of it that would prevent you from doing something like this and while we are on it I look at Colin Kapernink and wonder why he is still playing football. Disrespect like that towards our National Athem should kick him out. Playing in the NFL is not a right but a privelege and that behavior should not be tolorated. I dont like Trump but I do respect the office he will hold or should I disrespect him

11. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,356
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    No. Putting "clearly then" in front of an assertion doesn't make it follow from the previous statement. :) You need something more than that, like a dictionary from the time, which as I mentioned before only supports the idea that "speech" is verbal communication, oral and written.
    Speech and writing are both speech.
    Do you think "the press" just meant newspaper reporters, as we use it today?

12. TLK Valentine

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Are you asserting, then, that artwork is not covered, as it is not verbal?

Don't you?

13. Chesterton

+15,356
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What, like a Jackson Pollock?
    No.

14. TLK Valentine

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Like any artwork.

15. Chesterton

+15,356
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Well that may be a good question, but either way it won't get you an inch closer to flag-burning.

16. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    You're saying the National Anthem and flag are sacred?

17. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I love how that you don't agree with something it's a flight of fancy or a bad idea. that's a mark of a poor thinker. As I stated, it's shown they overturn themselves, so yes, it can and probably will happen again. I see no reason to think otherwise.

And as I stated, that's a protest anymore then chanting death to the "insert family name here". They aren't talking to a specific person. I don't mind you not replying to me, but don't snipe a comment and expect me not to reply if I disagree. There isn't a difference between the two as I stated, both a malicious in nature.

18. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I am saying that if you are a citizen then they both deserve respect whether you agree with certain things or not, it is offensive to see the flag burned or the National athem disrespectedand those that do such things should be made to know that that is not behavior that will be tolorated

19. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Why? It's a piece of cloth and a song.

So we should punish people or being offensive?

20. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Is it punishment to take away a privelege or is it only one sided that you are allowed to express yourself and put forth your beliefs