• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by morningstar2651, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Strongly Agree

6.3%
  2. Agree

3.8%
  3. Neutral

6.3%
  4. Disagree

8.9%
  5. Strongly Disagree

74.7%
  1. expos4ever

expos4ever Left This Site

+2,808
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I don't debate with childish people - and to dismiss my clear argument with this insult is the very definition of childish. Welcome to "ignore".

2. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+3,535
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Don't get attached to your ideas. Sorry, it sounds like hooey.

Ignoring people for rejecting your ideas isn't exactly a sign of maturity.

3. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+15,270
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I agree flag burning is offensive but that's sort of the whole point of doing it. If we didn't imbue the act with such power, the incentive to do it and be shocking and offensive would be gone.

Perhaps people would still do it but if they saw that no one cared, they'd eventually stop and move on to something else.

4. GoldenBoy89

+15,270
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The religion of Americanism rivals Christianity for #1 faith in the US.

5. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    They intended to protect independent speech as well, such as what Tom Paine was doing and the various writers of the Federalist Papers, who in today's terms would be bloggers.

6. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+5,786
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Tolerated by whom?

7. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,984
    Christian
    Single
    All depends on if he can make the flag stand for something worth not burning again.

At least that would make it a question worth seriously pondering, otherwise... seems I don't really care one way or another, and it's a shame it's come to that over the years.

8. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,298
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I don't think that many people share your association of fire with something that only destroys and causes chaos. For example, thanks to fire, I'm currently not freezing to death.

9. GoldenBoy89

+15,270
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Governments that require respect from the citizens don't deserve it.

You can force a person to join in and stand up for the national anthem, pledge allegiance to the flag and be a Yankee doodle dandy every single day of their life but if they don't already love or have respect for the country to begin with, none of that is going to matter.

Personally, I'd rather people be honest with how they feel and state it clearly than have a false sense of unity that isn't really there.

10. RDKirk

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    You really think Tom Paine, Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison intended to fail to protect what they were already doing--writing their own public letters and pamphlets in support of the Constitution?

11. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Really? Are you saying you dont know? If you dont then I wont tell you, obviously if you are that far out of it then there is no point in talking

12. Desk trauma

+5,786
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    What post was this in response to?

13. RDKirk

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    I think lynch nooses are more directed than that.

Fire is more often a very good thing--mankind would not have survived without it. Many, if not most, people in the world have a little fire going on somewhere in their homes.

14. rjs330

rjs330 Well-Known Member

+1,781
    Pentecostal
    I sure Obama actually feels that way. But unlike Trump he was smart enough not to say something like that. Let's face it we are going to see more of this stuff from Trump as he is not afraid of sharing an opinion.

Also there is a VERY large difference between the first and second amendments and their wording. There is nothing in the wording that would indicate that freedom of speech applies to flag burning. It's just that the supreme Court has ruled that it does. So, it does. However the second amendment is VERY specific about gun ownership.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

15. psalms 91

psalms 91 Legend

+12,068
    Word of Faith
    Private
    US-Democrat
    The one that asked me tolorated by whom

16. Desk trauma

+5,786
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Ah. In that case are you going to explain?

17. RDKirk

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    Well, Christians have to show some honor to the officials of the nations we are deployed to 'cause the Lord says so. But only because the Lord says so, not because they inherently deserve it.

18. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,265
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    How should we punish those who disrespect our blessed and glorious government? Should we revoke their rights? Imprison them? Execute them? What is the appropriate punishment for the crime of political incorrectness?

19. RDKirk

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    There was no national flag or national anthem when the Constitution was written. If there had been any idea that someone in the federal capital would attempt to force citizens of Pennsylvania, New York, or Virginia to respect any token of state beside their own, there would probably not have been a Constitution.

20. RDKirk

+10,957
    Christian
    Married
    No, Americanism has no serious rival. It has pretty much consumed Christianity in the US, except for a few isolated holdouts like Jehovah's Witnesses.