Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Do you agree with the president elect's tweet?

• Total voters

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No they don't. You're exaggerating.
When people consider the symbol to be more worth protecting than the rights that symbol stands for, they cross over into idolatrous territory.

Now, people are perfectly free to worship the state if they like and hold its symbols in high regard, I wouldn't stop them from doing so but just don't force it on me or anyone else who doesn't care to go along with it.

We all have the right to be as respectful or disrespectful as we want to our country.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just plain wrong. Seeing value in something does not mean you worship it. I believe you have value but I don't worship you.
No, seeing value in things does not mean you worship them. Holding them in such high regard that they are not to be disrespected (under the threat of punishment if you do) comes pretty close to it.

It's crossing over into religious territory in how the subject is being approached from one side.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NO, seeing value in things does not mean you worship them. Holding them in such high regard that they are not to be disrespected (under the threat of punishment if you do) comes pretty close to it.

It's crossing over into religious territory in how the subject is being approached from one side.

Let's put it this way, as the bible puts it:

King Nebuchadnezzar made an image of gold, sixty cubits high and six cubits wide, and set it up on the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon.
Then the herald loudly proclaimed, “Nations and peoples of every language, this is what you are commanded to do: As soon as you hear the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipe and all kinds of music, you must fall down and worship the image of gold that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up.

Whoever does not fall down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace.”

[Now, let's understand: Everyone knew the "image of gold" was itself nothing but an image of gold. It had a value--that of the gold itself, of course--but not even in scripture is there any indication that the "image of gold" was even an idol of a god.

It was just an "image of gold" with the command of the governing authority that people were to honor it...upon pain of punishment.]

At this time some astrologers came forward and denounced the Jews.
But there are some Jews whom you have set over the affairs of the province of Babylon—Shadrach, Meshach and Kaepernick-—who pay no attention to you, Your Majesty. They neither serve your gods nor worship the image of gold you have set up.”
Furious with rage, Nebuchadnezzar summoned Shadrach, Meshach and Kaepernick.

So these men were brought before the king, and Nebuchadnezzar said to them, “Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach and Kaepernick, that you do not serve my gods or worship the image of gold I have set up?
Shadrach, Meshach and Kaepernick replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter
[because it's none of your business who we worship].

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0