Should a Christian be socially liberal or not?

Boanerge

Son of Thunder
Nov 20, 2003
Bronx
Visit site
✟15,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
By socially liberal I mean more freedom for people with less interference from the government.

When I bring this up to my Christian friends on Facebook they tell me that I am an unbiblical Christian who is pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, pro-prostitution, pro-legalization, pro-everything that is evil in the world, anti-police, anti-capitalist anti-anything that can stop wickedness advocate.

So my question is what is biblically unsound about a Christian politician holding a socially liberal position?

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
By the sounds of it, I have similar beliefs as you do. The reason is that when Jesus walked the earth, he did not interfere with current government, and he challenged people on an individual level, not on a political level. Then he let people choose for themselves which direction they would like to go. I believe our governments should do the same, in a harm-reduction model. I do not believe "wickedness" should be dictated or stopped at a political level because that's not how Jesus did it. When that happens, it will be in God's kingdom.

Upvote 0

Boanerge

Son of Thunder
Nov 20, 2003
Bronx
Visit site
✟15,810.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree. I believe the issue I am seeing is that many Christians involved in politics believe that the Government's ultimate goal is to bring about God's Kingdom.... By force if necessary. Force meaning making certain victimless vices illegal and subject to imprisonment.

Other people have told me that I'm being an "escapist" trying to avoid politics and telling Christians it is wrong for them to get involved with politics. But that is not the case at all. I believe that we as Christians have a bigger responsibility to be involved with politics, we have the call to disciple nations by teaching them to obey God's commands, the first being that there is only One God in heaven, not on earth called "Government". As Christians in the political sphere our job would be to restrain the government, who's only legitamate purpose is to punish violence and to make sure there is enough freedom available to the people to the glory of God. Anything more than this should be dealt with ther forms of governance like Church and Self-governance.

I guess the libertarian view is the closest political view I can see that fits, despite the fact that many atheists go by Libertarians as well.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
By socially liberal I mean more freedom for people with less interference from the government.

When I bring this up to my Christian friends on Facebook they tell me that I am an unbiblical Christian who is pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, pro-prostitution, pro-legalization, pro-everything that is evil in the world, anti-police, anti-capitalist anti-anything that can stop wickedness advocate.

So my question is what is biblically unsound about a Christian politician holding a socially liberal position?
What is Biblically unsound is passing judgement as to who is and who isn't a Christian!

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course a Christian can be politically socially liberal. There are like 1,000 political parties and as many political party agendas and persuasions in the world, and the Bible is silent and does not endorse any one of the man made political ideologies out there.

Being a Christian is not defined by political ideology and party platforms but by the Nicene Creed. To be a Christian, one needs to believe in Jesus Christ: Triune God, The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit, and that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God and the Son of Man who came down from Heaven and suffered and died for our sins so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Also, God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. So whoever believes in Jesus is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he does not believe in the Son. That is all. Muslims are anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-prostitution, anti-drugs, anti-gambling, anti-alcohol, anti-adultery, anti-pre-marital sex, and anti pretty much everything that is evil in the world, but that does not give them a straight, fast super highway to Heaven, does it?

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a Christian. I am also a social liberal. I believe that what people do in their bedrooms are none of my business...I draw the line at minors and animals...other than that, whatever floats your boat. Abortion? Hey...not for me to decide. That's a personal choice. I am in favor of keeping it legal and safe. Same sex marriage...again, I don't see how your same sex marriage could possibly "threaten" my opposite sex marriage. Single payer medical insurance? I have said before on this forum and I will say it again...I will gladly pay more taxes to help more people. Social safety nets like welfare? I'd love to see more put towards things like infrastructure restoration, which would put more people to work, but I also believe that every person is due a certain standard of living especially in the USA.

I've started a blog on this very topic...link is in my profile.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I marvel that dems or liberals support abortion or are pro-choice. My personal view is that one cannot be Christian and support abortion. It seems that Catholics are more often mentioned supporting abortion than any other large Christian organization.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't know about "organizations" but as an individual Christian, I do support abortion in a limited sense. It is not up to Christians to tell non-Christians how to live, so in that sense, I do support abortion for the sole purpose of harm reduction. Women are much safer getting an abortion in a hospital than they are in a back alley or unregulated and dirty facility. In that situation, they are destroying their baby's life as well as jeopardizing their own. So regulated abortion is reducing the harm - not getting rid of it altogether.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I marvel that dems or liberals support abortion or are pro-choice. My personal view is that one cannot be Christian and support abortion. It seems that Catholics are more often mentioned supporting abortion than any other large Christian organization.

There is a misconception regarding the term "pro-choice". Pro-choice is not "pro-abortion". I honestly don't think there's anyone who is pro-abortion.

Pro-choice means that I am in favor of letting each individual woman decide for her self regarding the life-changing results of pregnancy. There are some who CHOOSE to parent, some who CHOOSE to relinquish and some who CHOOSE to terminate. I support the right of every woman to choose for herself.

I don't want abortion to be illegal...all that happens is that abortions still take place, but instead of in a safe, clean environment with appropriate medical personnel, it takes place somewhere that isn't by someone who isn't trained. Outlawing abortion is not going to stop it. Education and better access to contraception will greatly reduce the number of abortions, but when the "abstinence only" sort of sex-education is used, the number of teen pregnancies actually goes UP. Sort of defeats the purpose there, doesn't it?

There are MUCH bigger issues to deal with. Not only that, but pro-life folks are also anti-education, anti-healthcare, anti-social safety net. If one is going to be pro-life, then they should be PRO providing for that child that they demand to be born.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Mediate

Only Borrowed
Jan 31, 2013
✟8,492.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single

You can be for the freedom of people to make their own personal decisions without making the same personal decisions that other people make. You can respect the freedom of another human being to be gay if they so choose, without being gay yourself. You can respect the freedom of another person to have sex even if they aren't married, without having sex before marriage yourself.

The alternative is way nastier; forcing other people to follow your personal moral code. A liberal Christian is what a real Christian is. Jesus didn't say ''I command you to follow me", he said "if any of you wants to be a follower of me, you must turn from your selfishness, take up your own cross and follow".

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,349.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is a misconception regarding the term "pro-choice". Pro-choice is not "pro-abortion". I honestly don't think there's anyone who is pro-abortion.

Pro-choice means that I am in favor of letting each individual woman decide for her self regarding the life-changing results of pregnancy. There are some who CHOOSE to parent, some who CHOOSE to relinquish and some who CHOOSE to terminate. I support the right of every woman to choose for herself.

I don't want abortion to be illegal...all that happens is that abortions still take place, but instead of in a safe, clean environment with appropriate medical personnel, it takes place somewhere that isn't by someone who isn't trained. Outlawing abortion is not going to stop it. Education and better access to contraception will greatly reduce the number of abortions, but when the "abstinence only" sort of sex-education is used, the number of teen pregnancies actually goes UP. Sort of defeats the purpose there, doesn't it?

There are MUCH bigger issues to deal with. Not only that, but pro-life folks are also anti-education, anti-healthcare, anti-social safety net. If one is going to be pro-life, then they should be PRO providing for that child that they demand to be born.

Bolding mine.

But those most vehemently opposed to abortion are almost as opposed to contraception.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Bolding mine.

But those most vehemently opposed to abortion are almost as opposed to contraception.

This is true...they are WAY hung up on the "keep your legs closed" if you're single and take all the "blessings" you can once you're married.

It makes NO sense at all to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Funny how with so many right wingers, such freedom means less social services such as Medicaid but also means more police tyranny such as those on the streets of Ferguson.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Funny how with so many right wingers, such freedom means less social services such as Medicaid but also means more police tyranny such as those on the streets of Ferguson.

They talk about "freedom" but it's not freedom in any sense of the word. They want to decree who you love, who you live with, what you do with your body. That's not freedom. The last time that sort of thing was popular was in the pre-1865 south...think about it.

Freedom Is Slavery
War Is Peace

Upvote 0

Riley88

Searching...
Apr 24, 2015
Victoria, Australia
✟15,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think they can. An example I can use is Australia's current socially-conservative government - our Prime Minister is very socially conservative and claims to be a good Christian and many Christians support him. However I totally disagree with many of his actions and policies and find them very un-Christian (and so do many of my Christian friends!) Especially things like cutting back on foreign aide, or not letting genuine refugees into our country, or not caring about the environment.

My views as a Christian align much more with the socially liberal political parties in my country, however, this doesn't mean I agree with ALL of their policies. I think it's important to note that your political and social views don't have to align perfectly with one line of view. You may agree with some, disagree with some.

Reactions: WordList
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The Believers Share Their Possessions (Acts 4:30-35)

31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
Needless to say this is one set of verses that most conservative Christuans would rather ignore.

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom

If you are not against somthing by default you are for it. That being said, you do not have to be personally in favor of those sins to not get involved in legislating morality for others.

Upvote 0