Should a Christian attend a gay wedding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Priestess," when used of Christian clergy, is a slur. It both suggests paganism, and that we are not real clergy as men are. I suggest avoiding the term as on CF it is considered a flame.

Science is not a god. It is not an object of worship. But it is a source of knowledge about our world, which we are given for our own benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I have not. Nor is it legal, under the canon law of my church (or Australian law), for me to do so.

I understand, and thank you for that.

I heard a new term recently and I'm not sure what it means or even if it is a real term?

Have you ever heard of what is called, a gay-christian?
Is it gay -christian or christan-gay, or what? I am not sure

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Christian marriage? Marriage has been from the beginning in every society. This is what I mean't in a discussion with you when I said you are mixing things. All kinds of societies practiced marriage Christian or not. I don't understand why you are bringing Christianity exclusively into this.
As I said, it was another poster who suggested that only Christian marriages should be recognised as valid, and I was arguing against that.
Does Anglicanism reject "natural law". Judaism, would call it Noachide, which included all non jewish people. But again, does the Anglican faith reject "natural law"/ Noachide (for judaism)?
No, I wouldn't say we reject natural law, although it doesn't have the prominence in Anglican thinking that it does in some other traditions.

• Useful
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever heard of what is called, a gay-christian?
Is it gay -christian or christan-gay, or what? I am not sure
I know many Christians who are gay, if that's what you mean.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have made a point earlier in the thread that has had no response.

If we agree God is Just - how could He order gay's to be killed when they couldn't help their behaviour?

Does not this fact dismiss the claim that sexual orientation is beyond the human will ?

This being the case sin is sin and some sins are more serious than others.

And don't get me wrong - I am well aware that there but for the grace of God go I... There are powerful deceptive Spirits ready to take anyone captive and in our own strength we are toast.

While every single sin is a sin against God and thus, evil incarnate, some sins are worse than other sins. A "white" lie (oh your top is cute!) isn't the same as murder, in other words.

Homosexuality is something God himself calls an abomination etc etc. It's up there Biblically with murder.

We are "ordered" (though I find this wording distasteful at best) to do things every single day that goes against our fallen nature.

I love debating, for instance, but back in the day my unsaved state showed in spades when I did. Now, I have to fight my "natural instincts" (see "flesh" versus "spirit") and try and tamp down that "fight" inside me when discussing things I'm passionate about online.

Many things are easy for me now that I'm saved, I've seen what I thought was impossible turn to being possible to overcome in my own life through Christ... but that one thing is quite difficult to overcome at times.

There are times I think that "fight" inside me is gone for good, only to see it rear it's head when I least expect it... And I have to step back.

All of us as Christians have things we both had to overcome in Christ after we were saved and that we already have overcome in Christ after we were saved - and for me I see salvation as a process to last the rest of my life (saved past tense, being saved present tense, glorified future tense).

Homosexuality is no different but for one thing - it's the only sin that's major that people refuse to acknowledge as sin at all. They desire absolute acceptance of their sin, AND to be told they are in the right to be so, instead of engaging in sinful behavior.

It's not easy to be confronted with our sin, and our natural fallen state desires sin... So I understand some of the reactions. I went toe to toe with my husband over being told Islam was wrong... Lol. Spitting mad at times.. so I get it.

But it doesn't change that it's about fighting who we were, and becoming who we will be in Christ.... It turns the world on it's head, for homosexuals too if they let it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I have not. Nor is it legal, under the canon law of my church (or Australian law), for me to do so.

I have to admit that this is slightly confusing.
Because it seems from your posts that you have taken up the cause of gays to be able to live as normalized lived and even get Married and stuff, yet your faith and church forbid it also, So do your own personal beliefs differ from those of your church?

Do you have a calling to be a voice for gay rights?

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Priestess," when used of Christian clergy, is a slur. It both suggests paganism, and that we are not real clergy as men are. I suggest avoiding the term as on CF it is considered a flame.

Science is not a god. It is not an object of worship. But it is a source of knowledge about our world, which we are given for our own benefit.
Ok thanks Paidiske. I am perplexed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because it seems from your posts that you have taken up the cause of gays to be able to live as normalized lived and even get Married and stuff, yet your faith and church forbid it also, So do your own personal beliefs differ from those of your church?
As I tried to explain up thread, I think it is wrong for people in the church to try to control people outside the church. So; my church doesn't do same-sex marriages, but it would be wrong for me to try to prevent a gay couple from having a civil marriage (or a marriage in another faith that does allow it). It's not our place to control what others do.
Do you have a calling to be a voice for gay rights?
There is a very strong protective edge to my sense of vocation. I'm very quick to stand up for anyone I see being mistreated. And I think abuse of power is one of the besetting sins of the contemporary church.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know many Christians who are gay, if that's what you mean.

That's not what I mean. I have seen multiple gays who (online) have identified themselves as Gay-Christians, like they are a denomination or something.

All of my Bible studies have never taught me that there is even such a thing as a Gay-Christian. There is either God first, where all things have become new and the old man is dead...or non-christians.

Nowhere in scripture does it say to identify your sexuality hyphenated with Christian. Maybe that's in Jude chapter 2 or Luke chapter 55 where it says to do that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's not what I mean. I have seen multiple gays who (online) have identified themselves as Gay-Christians, like they are a denomination or something.
I don't know what they mean by that, you'd have to ask them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

All of my Bible studies have never taught me that there is even such a thing as a Gay-Christian. There is either God first, where all things have become new and the old man is dead...or non-christians.

Nowhere in scripture does it say to identify your sexuality hyphenated with Christian. Maybe that's in Jude 2 or Luke chapter 55 where it says to do that?
I believe ancient Greeks, and Romans were well acquainted with Homosexuality within their culture. As among all cultures, it existed. So did Marriage. But I do not think any culture ever thought "marriage" was for homosexuality. Why is it that rejection of the notion, is blamed on "christianity"? What other ancient societies married gay people?
While, civil union can be legally recognized, Marrriage? ah nah.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I tried to explain up thread, I think it is wrong for people in the church to try to control people outside the church. So; my church doesn't do same-sex marriages, but it would be wrong for me to try to prevent a gay couple from having a civil marriage (or a marriage in another faith that does allow it). It's not our place to control what others do.

There is a very strong protective edge to my sense of vocation. I'm very quick to stand up for anyone I see being mistreated. And I think abuse of power is one of the besetting sins of the contemporary church.

I'm not sure what you mean about outside a church, to control people? Have you looked down to see where your boots are standing? This is a church. Anywhere they are gathered by more than two or three, there I am in their midst.../KJV

I believe Christian Forums.com meets that criteria, lol! Are you saying that I personally am trying to control people? Or was that a general statement, or what?

Riddle me this:
Was Jesus wrong or not showing proper Brtherly Love to those that He chased from the temple with a Whip, after turning their tables over? Jesus said this is my Fathers house of prayer, not a podium for gay rights. They have no rights according to Leviticus. SO why call the Christians bad, or that, they arent operating in brotherly love towards their gay friends and letting them have everything that they wish. I think that's reasonably unacceptable. "Accept gays under the guise of Brotherly Love! Scriptures are very clear on this oh lady priest of ours! (I keep wanting to say Priestess, but I knew you find that objectionable, so ok!) I just knew it.

I dunno, I guess the newer question is, can Brotherly Love be taken too far? Can Brotherly Love be taken advantage of?

Be as cunning as serpants and harmless as doves...I believe the gay element intends to take advantage of all that the Christians let them.

Sister, you have been given many scriptures today. Yesterday you was saying oh many scriptures from both sides...
Can we got one today from the other side?

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suppose you asked your car full of friends for a ride home and they said yes but they have one stop to make, a quick one.
3 of them get out at the quikie mart and go in to rob it. One of their friends is the getaway driver. You did not ask to participate in a robbery, or driver their getaway car, just catching a ride...No crime in that, right?

Wrong. When they busted a mile down the road, you get charged too...because you were in attendance at the time of the robbery. This is a statutory crime as far as mankind and the police are concerned.

SO explain to me again how being in attendance does not mean you are in agreement with them again? There is guilt by association.

Your Honor he was in in attendance at the time of the robbery so is charged with Robbery! Is God's law different?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So who is your God: the God of Israel or Science?

He's the same God.

The Apostles' Creed begins:
"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth"

And the first verse in the Bible, in Genesis 1:1 says,
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

The God who revealed Himself to Abraham and to Moses and who made Covenant with the Jewish people, the God of covenants and promises, is the God who made all things.

Science doesn't tell us about Him, but it does tell us about His creation and how it works.

The alternative view is some form of Gnosticism, the denial of the Good Creator God and the innate goodness of the material universe. But orthodox Christianity asserts faith in the Good Creator God and the goodness of creation, it's why we confess that Christ suffered, died, and rose again and, indeed, is coming again.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what they mean by that, you'd have to ask them.

Wow, I ask for tesimony because you are a Priest touting gay rights and am turned down flatly. Now you will backpedal from this honest wuestion about your position?!

Now you sound more like the congregation and not a Priest. May I ask, what is your function in your church? Are you the Pastor? Teacher, Woship Team, congregation? Who are you there?

When you gave your Master Resume of Priest, it seemed implyed that you hold a Pastors position? Do you? I just want to be clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.