Should a Christian attend a gay wedding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No.

It's an abomination. To attend is to condone; to condone evil is to be against good. To be against good is to be against God.

Be not deceived; evil company corrupts good habits. 1 Corinthians 15:33

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To attend is to condone...

I disagree that attending is condoning. I have been to a few heterosexual weddings I thought were train wrecks waiting to happen. I never considered my presence as condoning the pairing, but rather as a mere courtesy to the friend or relative who invited me. Some weddings I've gone to only because maintaining relationships was more important to me than making a statement nobody was going to listen to anyway.

I can't answer the OP question without consideration of relationship with the person(s) involved. For instance, I might be inclined to answer differently if it was my child vs. a chap from work.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Go ahead and attend! Then when the minister says, "If there is anyone here who objects to the pairing of these two individuals, speak now or forever hold his peace", that's your chance to make a difference!

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My brother (a Christian) attended his sons wedding. I declined. But when we saw him at a relatives funeral, they are great people. But still not what God wants. You must express your support or not towards the world and all it’s goings wrong. It isn’t for nothing. Christians do have a say and are right at times, many times. How else will they know they are wrong without disapproval.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the person was a relative, good friend or someone I cared about, I'd go for them. Sitting at home saying "I don't approve" would damage the relationship and make it harder to have any conversations about the Christian faith.
Jesus accepted and loved people. He ate with tax collectors and sinners, healed an unclean woman, revealed himself as the Messiah to a foreign woman with a dubious lifestyle and would not condemn a woman who had clearly broken the law. He also gave his life for godless sinners.
Did he approve of these people's morals? Almost certainly not. Did he let that stop him from caring for them? No.

Having said that, if I was ordained, I wouldn't want to conduct such a wedding.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it was someone I cared about, sure I would go and I would pray the very best for them. But no, I'm not going to go to random gay weddings. I don't go to weddings unless it's someone I know and care about. The relationship itself is between them and God. I make no judgment on those who make those kind of commitments because I'm not the one making the commitment. It's not my business.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Some weddings I've gone to only because maintaining relationships was more important to me than making a statement nobody was going to listen to anyway.
2 John 1:10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

I disagree with you. You shouldn't attend anything ungodly to 'maintain relationships'. We are not to have relationships with the world. We can be civil to the world and kind to them, but we do not take part in their works.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 John 1:10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

I disagree with you. You shouldn't attend anything ungodly to 'maintain relationships'. We are not to have relationships with the world. We can be civil to the world and kind to them, but we do not take part in their works.

Have you never attended a wedding ceremony? Everyone who marries is a sinner friend. Just don't have the wedding at your house haha. Supporting the love others feel for each other is being civil and kind it seems. God is love. I John 4:7-8.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with you. You shouldn't attend anything ungodly to 'maintain relationships'.
Jesus did.
Not only did he associate, and eat with, sinners; he gave his life for them.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No. When you attend a wedding you are at the very least witnessing to a marriage, and where no marriage exists, no witnessing is possible.
Except that weddings can be secular in nature which means that where gay marriage is legal there is in fact a marriage under secular law. I do not think we want to not live under secular law not just in terms of obaying the law, but because of the fact that when otherwise has been tried it has failed BADLY.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Go ahead and attend! Then when the minister says, "If there is anyone here who objects to the pairing of these two individuals, speak now or forever hold his peace", that's your chance to make a difference!
Except that under secular law ( provide that gay marriage is legal) that is NOT a reason for a marriage to not go foward, so that is not making a difference that is trying to prevent a perfectly legal marriage.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,232.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if there is a verse, or passage, in the Bible which says this, but I've always understood that, in God's eyes, people who sleep together are married. I.E the act of sleeping with someone, consummating a relationship and becoming one flesh is what truly makes a marriage.
If that is the case, then if someone has slept with 3 people and then they get married, in God's eyes, they have 4 spouses.

Not many people who marry are perfect, relationship-wise. If we waited until we found people who were perfect, we'd never go to any weddings, or indeed have many friends.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Have you never attended a wedding ceremony? Everyone who marries is a sinner friend. Just don't have the wedding at your house haha. Supporting the love others feel for each other is being civil and kind it seems. God is love. I John 4:7-8.
I'm not going to congratulate open rebellion, and no, I will not support immoral love whether its gay marriage or an adulterous relationship. Everyone quotes that God is Love, yet they never quote that God is a Man of War, and He will not be mocked--nor will his divine institution between man and woman be mocked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Except that weddings can be secular in nature which means that where gay marriage is legal there is in fact a marriage under secular law. I do not think we want to not live under secular law not just in terms of obaying the law, but because of the fact that when otherwise has been tried it has failed BADLY.
One cannot magically make non-existent things exist, even if they pass a law which says that they exist. Laws don't define reality.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did.
Not only did he associate, and eat with, sinners; he gave his life for them.

Yes - because they were responding to His Word.

Folks who choose with pride and abdominal lifestyle - are not.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if there is a verse, or passage, in the Bible which says this, but I've always understood that, in God's eyes, people who sleep together are married. I.E the act of sleeping with someone, consummating a relationship and becoming one flesh is what truly makes a marriage.
If that is the case, then if someone has slept with 3 people and then they get married, in God's eyes, they have 4 spouses.

Not many people who marry are perfect, relationship-wise. If we waited until we found people who were perfect, we'd never go to any weddings, or indeed have many friends.

There is no verse that says this...

If there was then fornication would no longer be a sin.

Let the marriage bed be undefiled...

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

A gay couple can not consummate a marriage, it's biologically impossible. They can have strong committed relationships,
but so can friends and neither make a marriage. Trying to say that anal sex consummates a marriage is usually too
obscene for people to talk about and no one can defend it as being part of nature. However.
the sexual act between two males is what makes homosexual. Without the sexual act, it's just a close friendship.

Lesbians don't always have sexual relationships and that again would just make them close friends. They do not
make a marriage.

A marriage is sacred and can only exist between a man and a woman.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can we discuss this important topic.

For background I suggest viewing this video that presents the issue quite thoroughly.

Your considered comments most welcome.
Its not would He its did He? What no gay people back then? Ooh that's right it was a sin. And a GOD that made man and woman.. yeah I think He is truth and He can't lie. But what matters is He didn't come to condemn but to save. Were not here to please man so what others believers do here in this case is between them and God.

So what to guys on youtube.. no clue who they are what they believe.. has no weight here. No one should listen to them nor me. For it to get that far.. did we share Jesus and what we believe before they got married? Did we take a stand on what GOD said about it before all this? Sin is sin.. when is any sin ok to just stand by and watch and say nothing? See its not what others do in some moment that some of us will never see its what you do if it happens to you. So I am no ones judge if someone goes or not.. between them and God.

Like if your in Church and you hear the pastor say something that is fully against Gods word would you say anything? Some have and get kicked out some don't and nothing changes..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.