Why every Christian should have a literal view of scripture.

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟30,484.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
World is much more complex than youtube videos.

I know that's why I've just started this thread.

Reactions: BeyondET
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that's why I've just started this thread.

Interesting thread indeed i like it, :)

Reactions: Apple Sky
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what is the sabbath day ? Jews all reckon it's Saturday.
The 7th day IS Saturday.
We're not Jews. Christians celebrate resurrection Sunday, the first day of the week.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath & Saturday in spanish is sábado.
So?
Christians celebrate resurrection Sunday - the day the tomb was found to be empty and our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was alive. :clap:

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,333.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The 7th day IS Saturday.
We're not Jews. Christians celebrate resurrection Sunday, the first day of the week.
BTW, in Europe (and all countries following the ISO standard), Sunday is the seventh day of the week and Monday is the first day.

Reactions: Strong in Him

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟30,484.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, in Europe (and all countries following the ISO standard), Sunday is the seventh day of the week and Monday is the first day.

Yes ever since Constantine, a sun worshiper.

On March 7, 321, however, Roman Emperor Constantine I issued a civil decree making Sunday a day of rest from labor, stating: All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun.

Jesus died on the Friday so he wouldn't die on the sabbath & resurrected 3 days there after, putting the resurrection of Jesus on the Monday, the first day.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,333.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

On March 7, 321, however, Roman Emperor Constantine I issued a civil decree making Sunday a day of rest from labor, stating: All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun.

Jesus died on the Friday so he wouldn't die on the sabbath & resurrected 3 days there after, putting the resurrection of Jesus on the Monday, the first day.
I am not talking about rest, I am talking about the week's beginning and end. For example in mine calendar, Monday is the first day, because my country follows international standard - ISO 8601.

Theologically, Christians are given no day to keep as a rest, no matter of number, order or name.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who became a Christian and legalised the Christian religion; believers no longer had to hide in catacombs for fear of persecution.
Or day of the Son?
That's what the first day of the week is - the Lord's day.
Constantine set up, and presided over, the council of Nicea in 325. This is where the Nicean Creed was formed, which states the divinity of Jesus, the Son. This came about because false teachers were saying that Jesus had not been divine.
Many Christians believe the Nicene Creed - you have to agree to it if you want to describe yourself as a Christian on these forums.

Yes, Jesus died on a Friday, before 6.00p.m.
Friday was the first day - even though, for the Jews, it was nearly over, it still counted as Friday. Saturday was the second day. This was their Sabbath - 7th day - and was actually from 6.00p.m on Friday-6.00p.m on Saturday. The 1st day of the week began at 6.00pm on Saturday - what we now call Sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for not having the time to keep up with my thread. I've lost the general scope of the conversation and don't feel like reading the lastb 4 pages of replies. What's the general gist of what were all talking about?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for not having the time to keep up with my thread. I've lost the general scope of the conversation and don't feel like reading the lastb 4 pages of replies. What's the general gist of what were all talking about?
I think, generally, we are saying that some verses/passages are literal but not others.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That is exactly what I was meaning...
Just curious to know what you and others might think. If someone said "Amen, amen I say to you" would you think a metaphor was in the offing?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is still resting on His 7th day of creation which is every day of the week, otherwise He couldn't invite us to join His rest every day as Hebrews clearly says.

Therefore the seventh day of creation is very long - from Eden till now and counting.

Therefore if all the creation days are the same length... connect the dots.... We don't have a young earth unless He changed times rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious to know what you and others might think. If someone said "Amen, amen I say to you" would you think a metaphor was in the offing?

My point was that Jesus told us His words were not to be taken literally when He spoke in Parables.

From this we know that not all scriptures should be taken literally.

"Amen, amen I say to you" could proceed a parable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My point was that Jesus told us His words were not to be taken literally when He spoke in Parables.

From this we know that not all scriptures should be taken literally.

"Amen, amen I say to you" could proceed a parable.
Thanks. I will now have to check to see if any parables start out with "Amen, amen I say to you".

• Optimistic
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a question for someone who says we should have a literal view of Scripture. Do you still have two eyes? Have you not gouged at least one of them out yet? If you still have two eyes I suspect you treat at least some of Scripture non-literally.
And did the rooster crow once, or twice?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt any Christian takes ALL of God's word symbolically.

Does any Christian do that?

I don't know of any Christian who does otherwise.

Not all of Scripture is literally true.
Jesus was not literally a door, a vine, a lamb or bread.

Some Scripture can be believed literally but not applied literally.
Paul asked Timothy to bring his cloak and his scrolls when he visited him, 2 Timothy 4:15. Did he mean that literally? Yes, he wanted, and needed, them. Can we apply that literally to ourselves? No.
I always like to ask what the meaning of the first three words of the bible mean. i.e. the beginning of what?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Jesus, The Apostles, and the Prophets had a literal view of scripture. An example of this is when Jesus fought against Satan he used scripture to combat the devil. Paul also called scripture the very word of God and viewed scripture and took Jesus's words VERY literally.

2. Jesus came to fulfill the law and the Prophets. One of the reasons why he came to save his sheep was to correct many views of scripture at the time among the Jews at the time (mainoy the scribes and pharisees) and his words and the words of his Prophets and Apostles should be viewed as final and definitive.

3. Moses who saw the very back of God and recieved many of the words of God through conversations with him took the literal words of God literally.

4. It's foolishness to take the word of God symbolically because it undermines the authority of God and the very center of the Christian faith. The very center of the Christian faith is the words that Jesus said and his commandments and when we take his words symbolically we twist the very words that Jesus spoke and the Apostles thought were very important and recorded down.

5. Just because the Bible contains stories and humor does not mean that the words of those that carried authority in the Bible should be twisted. This includes Jesus, the apostles, and the Prophets.

Now people can have varying views on the interpretations of scripture, but ALL Christians should take the very words of God very, very seriously and a symbolic view of scripture undermines that.
Have you read the book of Revekation recently?

Upvote 0