Should a Christian attend a gay wedding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No.

It's an abomination. To attend is to condone; to condone evil is to be against good. To be against good is to be against God.

Be not deceived; evil company corrupts good habits. 1 Corinthians 15:33
Amen.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟241,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus did.
Not only did he associate, and eat with, sinners; he gave his life for them.
He never said to sinners to stay in their sin, he told them to repent and believe in the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have always claimed that alleged orientation is in fact temptation.
All - or nearly all - of us face some sexual temptation. Some of us straight temptation and some of us gay temptation. The issue is not in being tempted, but in what we choose to do.

I reiterate: being gay, that is, finding oneself primarily attracted to members of the same sex, is not a behaviour. It's behaviours that are condemned, not the manner in which one might be tempted. The Scriptures say even Christ was tempted in every way as we are! (Note, for those playing along, there's a reference to Scripture).
I don't buy into being born with a desire for the same sex.
And this comes back to the point I made earlier; if we don't share the same basic understanding of the world and how it works, it's pretty difficult for Christians to have meaningful discussion about how we should live in light of that understanding.

Is that also what you say about gender pronouns?
That in a secular, pluralist society, Christians can't expect to control how everyone else behaves? Yes, I would think so.
What the world does Is not the issue here. It is what church leadership is teaching.
I'm not sure precisely what you've experienced on that count.

The comment I made, the day it was announced that same-sex marriage would become legal in Australia, was that through the debate, the message many gay people (and those around them) had heard from Christians was that God didn't love them and the church didn't want them. And that our job now was to get a different message out there. I still think that's true.
Christians businesses have already suffered due to this stuff.
I think there are different issues in play for businesses. And some Christians might need to modify their range of goods or services, so as to be able to treat every customer equally. (Eg: if you don't want to supply product A for a gay wedding, don't supply product A at all, kind of thing).

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
All - or nearly all - of us face some sexual temptation. Some of us straight temptation and some of us gay temptation. The issue is not in being tempted, but in what we choose to do.

I reiterate: being gay, that is, finding oneself primarily attracted to members of the same sex, is not a behaviour. It's behaviours that are condemned, not the manner in which one might be tempted. The Scriptures say even Christ was tempted in every way as we are! (Note, for those playing along, there's a reference to Scripture).

And this comes back to the point I made earlier; if we don't share the same basic understanding of the world and how it works, it's pretty difficult for Christians to have meaningful discussion about how we should live in light of that understanding.

That in a secular, pluralist society, Christians can't expect to control how everyone else behaves? Yes, I would think so.

I'm not sure precisely what you've experienced on that count.

The comment I made, the day it was announced that same-sex marriage would become legal in Australia, was that through the debate, the message many gay people (and those around them) had heard from Christians was that God didn't love them and the church didn't want them. And that our job now was to get a different message out there. I still think that's true.

I think there are different issues in play for businesses. And some Christians might need to modify their range of goods or services, so as to be able to treat every customer equally. (Eg: if you don't want to supply product A for a gay wedding, don't supply product A at all, kind of thing).
It is the different message coming out that concerns me, Not the message of the world. I really don't think you are grasping what I am saying.
I am concerned about our religious liberties . But I am also concerned about the attitude of the
Church in the issue. you seem to be mixing the two.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,152.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He never said to sinners to stay in their sin, he told them to repent and believe in the Gospel.
On one occasion we are told that he said that, certainly.
But he didn't make it a condition of his going to have a meal with them. Nor are we told that that was his motive for doing so.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As we discuss the assumptions we have made are tested. Herein there is hope.

Some argue that orientation is something we are born with but science does not defend this position.

However folks want to believe the attraction to the same sex as being a fundamental part of identity and therefore to be celebrated.

They are insisting that society accepts the gay lifestyle as normal.

This fly's in the face of the biblical narrative recording God's instruction to execute any found so doing.

So we have a battle on our hands between lustful self indulgence and the Scripture.

We seem to have arrived at the early stages of Sodomistic social behaviours that incurred the Wrath of God in spectacular fashion.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some argue that orientation is something we are born with but science does not defend this position.
Yes, it does. The causes are complex, involving genetics, hormonal influences during gestation, environmental factors, and so on, (so it's not as simple as a "gay gene," for example), but science certainly supports a biological (and early) basis for sexual orientation.
However folks want to believe the attraction to the same sex as being a fundamental part of identity and therefore to be celebrated.
Just because something is developmentally determined doesn't mean it's "to be celebrated." It might mean, though, that we need to avoid shaming or slandering people for it.
They are insisting that society accepts the gay lifestyle as normal.
Once again, orientation is not behaviour.
So we have a battle on our hands between lustful self indulgence and the Scripture.
Scripture is pretty clear that lustful self indulgence isn't a godly way of life for anyone. Fortunately, we all - straight and gay folks and everyone else too - are able to strive for a more virtuous approach.
We seem to have arrived at the early stages of Sodomistic social behaviours that incurred the Wrath of God in spectacular fashion.
I'm not sure rape ever really went out of style, sadly.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it does. The causes are complex, involving genetics, hormonal influences during gestation, environmental factors, and so on, (so it's not as simple as a "gay gene," for example), but science certainly supports a biological (and early) basis for sexual orientation.

You might like to read this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You might like to read this...
Why on earth would I read religious propaganda when I'm perfectly capable of reading the scientific journals?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say they're mutually exclusive; you can't put your foot on someone else's neck and expect them to believe what you bring is good news.

You mean that I can't, yet that is what your trying to do right now to me so where is your certificate of permissibillity to do this?

No, it is not. Proclaiming the good news, and enforcing conformity to a moral code, are two completely different activities and approaches to the world. In fact, to some degree I'd say they're mutually exclusive; you can't put your foot on someone else's neck and expect them to believe what you bring is good news.

So give me a couple examples here so I can better understand. Give me example of spreading good news, ok? So far all I've heard from you is your boot on Christian necks saying you will agree or you are a bad Christian! You accuse me of being gestapo to gays so we dont need an example for that. Just give me your best good newss...

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I say it's a bad thing to misuse power to control non-Christians because I deal with the consequences every day. Genuine mission is made much harder when people have experience of Christians behaving badly.

Who's trying to control non Christians here?

In fact, who's trying to control who? Are we on the gay website screeching death to them where they only want to be left alone...
Or did They, come to the Christian website and try to take control?

What kind of praecher are you? What seminary did you attend? Was it mail order? Online? You need to study your Christian bible some more sister, because what you're preaching aint it.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mean that I can't, yet that is what your trying to do right now to me so where is your certificate of permissibillity to do this?
In what way am I putting my foot on your neck?
Give me example of spreading good news, ok?
Well, ministry has me doing that in a myriad of ways, but for lay people I think relational evangelism is often a good place to start.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have made a point earlier in the thread that has had no response.

If we agree God is Just - how could He order gay's to be killed when they couldn't help their behaviour?

Does not this fact dismiss the claim that sexual orientation is beyond the human will ?

This being the case sin is sin and some sins are more serious than others.

And don't get me wrong - I am well aware that there but for the grace of God go I... There are powerful deceptive Spirits ready to take anyone captive and in our own strength we are toast.
Are you saying because there maybe some genetic or biological basis for same sex attraction that and behaviour as a result is not really a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ohhh, am I one that needs modification? Lol!

Explain to me again how gays are not trying to control Christians or anyone? What is this you have posted? If I wont bake a cake for your gay wedding then I shouldn't sell cakes at all???!!!

Yeah! No Control There! That my friends must be some "Good News" from her! It's people like you who would make me want to bake anti-gay cakes just because of the way you sit and lie your butt off. Projection, reverse psychology. tripe. You can't disagree with me ot I'll cry to the Moderarors! Geesh, lady...

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In what way am I putting my foot on your neck?

By your Preaching of aaccept the gays accept the gays, change your whole life to suit the gays or you will be branded bad!!!!!!
Brand me what you wish.

You have no wish to out your boot on a Christians neck, huh?

Well, I would have to modify my bakery to bake any cake and any cake that is unavailable to gays can not be sold!

Don't pee down my neck and tel me it's raining, little girl.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who's trying to control non Christians here?
I believe this strand of the conversation developed from your suggestion (back in post #189) that only Christian marriage proceedings should be recognised as valid.
In fact, who's trying to control who? Are we on the gay website screeching death to them where they only want to be left alone...
Or did They, come to the Christian website and try to take control?
We are all Christians here, reflecting on Christian thought and practice in our contemporary social context.
What kind of praecher are you? What seminary did you attend? Was it mail order? Online? You need to study your Christian bible some more sister, because what you're preaching aint it.
I'm an Anglican priest. My academic theological qualifications are from the University of Divinity. I hold a Masters of Divinity (majoring in systematics) and Advanced Diploma of Ministry (my bachelors' was in science). All of that was in-person except one unit I did online. I've been ordained nearly ten years. While I'm far from perfect, I'm quite competent enough both for the ministry I undertake, and for this level of conversation.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, ministry has me doing that in a myriad of ways, but for lay people I think relational evangelism is often a good place to start.

Tell me the good news then! I havent heard any yet. I notice you never really seem to speak about Jesus. Huh.

How about, hey I don't care if you bake my gay cake or not, you are still as valid a human as the gays are?! That would be a better place to start.

You will have to go somewhere else to get your gay cake though. We don't make them, go up the street and maybe they will...??

Does that feel like a boot on your neck? Too bad. Maybe if you canceled membership the feeling of boot would go away?! Lol!

WHo is your God.? I'm sorry but I can't tell from your posts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.