Should a Christian attend a gay wedding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So who is your God: the God of Israel or Science?
They're the same God. As Galileo said, God wrote two books, that of Scripture and that of nature; and since God doesn't lie, when properly understood, they can't contradict each other.
Explain to me again how gays are not trying to control Christians or anyone? What is this you have posted? If I wont bake a cake for your gay wedding then I shouldn't sell cakes at all???!!!
Basic human rights aren't a matter of gays controlling anyone. I have no problem with the law saying that businesses need to not discriminate amongst their customers.

By your Preaching of aaccept the gays accept the gays, change your whole life to suit the gays or you will be branded bad!!!!!!
I don't believe I said anything of the sort.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm an Anglican priest.

WHat does that even mean?

Does your God have a name? What is it? I know you say Christian, but you do not speak of Jesus, you do not speak of brotherly love, you do not speak of repenting for sins....so I'm not sure about you.

Name names....

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying because there maybe some genetic or biological basis for same sex attraction that and behaviour as a result is not really a sin.

No I am saying that that is what the LGBT lobby argues for and hence they promote writing into Law that it is illegal to assist folks attempting to change orientation.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Tell me the good news then! I havent heard any yet.
You need me to spell out the basics of the gospel for you? To remind you that "the kingdom of heaven has come near"?
How about, hey I don't care if you bake my gay cake or not, you are still as valid a human as the gays are?!
You're a valid human no matter what. But I'm certainly going to encourage my fellow valid humans (especially the Christian ones) to treat the people around them with dignity, grace and compassion.
WHo is your God.? I'm sorry but I can't tell from your posts.
I worship the one God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
WHat does that even mean?
It means I am authorised to work as a pastor and teacher, (in my case, in charge of a parish), for God's glory and the strengthening of God's people, in the Anglican Church of Australia.
Does your God have a name?
Answered in the previous post.
I know you say Christian, but you do not speak of Jesus, you do not speak of brotherly love, you do not speak of repenting for sins....so I'm not sure about you.
Ha. Seems to me that in calling for not mistreating gay people, I am speaking both of brotherly love and repenting of sins.

You may not be sure about me, but we are getting well off topic by making the discussion personal.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why on earth would I read religious propaganda when I'm perfectly capable of reading the scientific journals?

“all tested genetic variants accounted for 8% to 25% of variation in same-sex sexual behavior … and do not allow meaningful prediction of an individual’s sexual behavior.” The lead author of the study told The New York Times that it is “basically impossible to predict one’s person’s sexual activity or orientation just from genetics.” Ruth Institute senior research associate Father Paul Sullins, professor emeritus of sociology at The Catholic University of America, summarized the results of this very technical paper as follows:

“The study found that a person’s developmental environment — the influence of diet, family, friends, neighborhood, religion, and a host of other life conditions — was twice as influential as genetics on the probability of adopting same-sex behavior or orientation. The genetic influence did not come from one or two strong sources but from dozens of genetic variants that each added a small increased propensity for same-sex behavior. A genetic arrangement based on a large number of markers across the genome means that virtually all human beings have this arrangement, or large portions of it. In other words, not only did the study fail to find some controlling gene for gay identity, it also established that gay persons are not genetically distinct from all other human beings in any meaningful sense. Gay persons, we might say, have a perfectly normal human genome.”

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basic human rights aren't a matter of gays controlling anyone. I have no problem with the law saying that businesses need to not discriminate amongst their customers.

Boy did you fall hard for that one. They lied to you. Homosexuality is not a basic human rights activity, Lol! I think that's incredbly funny.

I have a sign in my business: We retain the right to refuse service to anyone we please...

I've exercised that right also! Some lady tried to command me to do a certain job for a certain fee, determined by how much she is willing to pay. I laughed soo hard! I walked out. I hope she found someone willing to knuckle under to her, but it wasnt me! Viva le'Merica!

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Answered in the previous post.

Only by innuendo !!! This here is my point! No names, our God is the same blah blah blah. And people are supposed to accept that as truth?! (Maybe people are dumber in Austrailia??)

Got any names?
DId Jesus come in the flesh and die to rise again on the third day?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ha. Seems to me that in calling for not mistreating gay people, I am speaking both of brotherly love and repenting of sins.

You may not be sure about me, but we are getting well off topic by making the discussion personal.

Double talk.

Have you posted a Testimony here on the forum? I would love to read a Sisters Testimony of when you got converted and what happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They're the same God. As Galileo said, God wrote two books, that of Scripture and that of nature; and since God doesn't lie, when properly understood, they can't contradict each other.

Nature is fallen and Scripture is inerrant. The two don't always match...

Case in point - some argue that same sex attraction is OK because it is observed in the animal kingdom. I think God's Word is more dependable than implications from the behaviour of animals. It is in fact a strategy of Satan to induce animal like behaviour in humans.

The other issue is that science today is full of commercial and political bias.

So elevating Science to Diety status is serious error.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you posted a Testimony here on the forum? I would love to read a Sisters Testimony of when you got converted and what happened.
I'm sure I have, but I've been around here seven years or so and I wouldn't know where it is now. I don't intend to derail this thread any further with that now.
Nature is fallen and Scripture is inerrant. The two don't always match...
Sorry, I can't agree with you there. Nature is not "fallen" in such a way as to deceive us as to what we observe.
Case in point - some argue that same sex attraction is OK because it is observed in the animal kingdom. I think God's Word is more dependable than implications from the behaviour of animals. It is in fact a strategy of Satan to induce animal like behaviour in humans.
Science cannot tell us what is or is not right, in terms of ethics, but it can give us a sound understanding of the physical world upon which to anchor our ethical reasoning.
So elevating Science to Diety status is serious error.
Good thing that's not what anyone is doing, then. Simply saying that it is folly to reject the best scientific understanding that we have.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I worship the one God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Now uh, I am nobody and I am just talking. I have never heard of Angelican priest. So how would I be expected to know what that even means? I havent been to Australia or it's churches so how could I?

Is it a Denomination? Or a sect or is that just modern slang talk for Australian Christian? I don't know? So far you wont tell me.

You certainly seemed to imply Christianity. We're talking Jesus Christianity, yet I don't think I have ever read where you actually typed the Name of Jesus anywhere? Or quoted Him or anything of the sort.

It's a wee bit weird. You are willing to dance around it, but never very directly. It's been, the Son, not Jesus, not Yeshua. That just strikes me as suspicious that's all. You wrote Galileo awful fast. No problem there.

And since you are so fond of being precise, then technically you didn't say that Jesus came in the flesh, you only said...yes. When will you witness for the Lord Jesus? Soon?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now uh, I am nobody and I am just talking. I have never heard of Angelican priest. So how would I be expected to know what that even means? I havent been to Australia or it's churches so how could I?
Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't realise you had no idea what "Anglican" meant. Anglican is a term which describes the churches which developed from the Reformation in England, and particularly those still in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury. So the church I serve in is what developed from the Church of England in the Australian colonies, although we've been self-governing at a national level (not governed from England) for quite some time now.

You can see the Anglican forum here: Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic and I suggest asking further questions there, because they are off topic to this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟243,881.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From what the video says about Romans 14 is that eating or not eating meat is a matter of indifference and not as serious a matter as matters like sexual immorality. Paul is pointing out that either eating or not eating meat is not going to make a difference as each person may have a different way of coming to God but both are still coming to God in faith.

Its not condoning one way or another because there is no sin to condemn. So its is different to sexual immorality which is a more serious matter which relates to being saved or not.

Paul does use incest as an example which should not be allowed in the church or that Christains should engage in. Gagnon reckons this is analogous to SSM. Therefore Paul is condemning these forms of sin that as Christains we should not encourage or support. Paul points out how some in the chuurch were thinking attending an incestious marriage was ok. But he replies

1 Corinthians 5
It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this?
6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? 7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”[
d]

It seems Paul was clear and knew how bending the rules so to speak when it comes to serious matters (not like differences about meat consumption) but involve compromising Gods Truth in these matters that associating with the activity in this case supporting the incestious wedding should stop even to the point of rather than celebrate the wedding Christains should mourn.

That by engaging in such thinking can effect the church (Paul used the analogy of the old yeast which leavens the whole dough) which was already happening to get that thinking out of the church as it will infiltrate and influence others to compromise Gods truth.

I can see how as time has gone by how secular beliefs have become more dominant and has chipped away at Gods Truths in the eyes of non believers and believers for that matter. It makes it hard to go against popular mainstream beliefs even more so today because people can make you feel like you are doing something wrong.

But if SSM is really a serious matter of salvation and the actions chosen can contribute to saving someone or maybe harming someone in the spiritual sense then maybe the truth does matter enough to stand up for it. But then as Postmodernist would say "what is truth" lol.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure I have, but I've been around here seven years or so and I wouldn't know where it is now. I don't intend to derail this thread any further with that now.

Cant be bothered to give your Testimony to one who asks? Wow.

1 Peter 3:15
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:.../KJV

Touche', ok let's stick to the topic then as related to the OP. Agreed.
To attend the gay wedding is agreeing with it as good, or not, for Christian.

Now, I am nobody. I am but a member of the congregation. I'm not Clergy, never have been except kind of sort of, not because all I talk is informal. What are us who are in the congregation to do when a confusing spiritual question comes up? Well we go to the Word of God first, don't we? It must agree with scripture, and all of it. Hmm this could get touchy. Maybe we should go ask the Clergy?!

Lucky us! She has already stood up and gave her resume of acheivments (A Masters Degree is not a small thing!) So not only is she a Sister in Christ, she is edumacated too. We should talk closely with this one, she seems smart!

Am I allowed to ask question. I'm just a man in the congregation with no credentials whatsoever except being an adopted child of Yeshua Hamasheac, and this is my first visit to this church. Pastor, may I? I have a question. Every time I meet a new Brother or Sister in Christ, I like hearing their Testimony. Who wouldnt especially like a Pastors Testimony?!

Have you ever Married any gays in your church? I mean, been the one to pronounce, I now pronounce you Married...??

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,524.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever Married any gays in your church? I mean, been the one to pronounce, I now pronounce you Married...??
No, I have not. Nor is it legal, under the canon law of my church (or Australian law), for me to do so.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
For a priestess, you should have read that Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me and in Exodus 20:3 You are not to make any gods alongside Me; you are not to make for yourselves gods of silver or gold.

Deuteronomy 4:35 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD Himself is God; there is none other besides Him.

Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!

Should I go on quoting Isaiah 44:6; 1 Timothy 2:5-6; Isaiah 42:8; John 10:29

If what you're trying to say is, 1 Corinthians 8:6, then quote scripture, but you don't quote scripture, you quoted Galileo--a man. Whose words are not divinely inspired.

Science is not equal with God; science is no god at all, but you have openly stated that it is a god. Even Jesus Christ said, "My Father is Greater than I". Jesus Christ, himself, the Son of God; our mediator; our savior, did not put himself on equal footing with the Father. He sits at the Right Hand of the Majesty on High; he didn't kick the Father off the throne and usurp absolute control. Jesus Christ doesn't even know the day which He will return to save humanity; in that Day the Father will command Him to come.

So how could you even put science on equal footing with God?

God created science; he created the worlds, but that doesn't make science a deity. He created cats and he created dogs and sheep and trees; will you worship them too? Science is not a god, and you have exposed a very interesting piece of yourself and your beliefs, but stating as much.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe this strand of the conversation developed from your suggestion (back in post #189) that only Christian marriage proceedings should be recognised as valid.
Christian marriage? Marriage has been from the beginning in every society. This is what I mean't in a discussion with you when I said, "it seemed you are mixing" things. All kinds of societies practiced marriage Christian or not. I don't understand why you are bringing Christianity exclusively into this. Does Anglicanism reject "natural law". Judaism, would call it Noachide, which included all non jewish people. But again, does the Anglican faith reject "natural law"/ Noachide (for judaism)?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.