• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Saints who Protect

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Natsumi Lam, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+6,111
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Following only what is clearly and specifically spelled out in Scripture minus anything else actually would me a tradition of men, Gideon. And would lead us to have to seriously debate / call into question things like the Holy Trinity, the nature and deity of Christ, the fate of our souls after death, and what salvation is and what it means. The exact same debates that embroiled those fighting against error in the first few hundred years of Christian history, and which the Reformers themselves could not agree on.

2. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,267
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Fortunately, that's not what the Catholic and Orthodox practice is about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  3. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,251
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    They are already in God's presence. They are asking for Him to avenge their deaths... Not those still alive on earth.

4. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member

+1,575
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I don't have a patron saint and have never directed petitions to them or sought their aid and I've never been told to do so by the Holy Spirit. I address my prayers to the Father. The absence of prayers to saints haven't hindered His healing, blessings, provision, favor, and grace. I'm overflowing in each. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. FireDragon76

+9,267
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Wow. Something tells me folks in heaven have better things to do than brew in resentment.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+511
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Revelation 6:10
    They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?"

Of course, these are martyrs, not someone who fell asleep peacefully of old age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. ChicanaRose

+511
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Right, at the minimum, they are not necessary.

8. ChicanaRose

+511
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Perhaps we need to prioritize the communion of saints here on earth. If we cannot overcome our differences and practice bearing with one another in our daily living (Eph, 2:14, Col. 3:13), what business do we have communing with the saints in heaven?

Reference
    Hastings, C Brownlow. “The Communion of Saints in Light of the Baptist Tradition.” Southwestern Journal of Theology 28, no.2 (1986).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. FireDragon76

+9,267
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Whether we ask the saints to pray for us or not, we have communion with them, not owing to our agreement here on earth, by by confessing the faith once delivered to the saints.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. ChicanaRose

+511
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    From what I understand, the Lutheran practice of communion of saints does not involve invocation to those in heaven.

You honor them in a sense that you give thanksgiving to God for their examples, and seek to emulate them.

Source:
    Persaud, Winston D. “A Lutheran Reflection on The One Mediator, The Saints, and Mary in Relation to the Question: How Do Lutherans Understand Prayer for Other People?” Dialog 52, no.1 (2013)

11. FireDragon76

+9,267
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Yes, but it's important to emphasize we do not deny that the saints in heaven pray for us, because this can be found attested to in the early Church and does not contradict the Scriptures. We do not consider asking them to pray for us to necessarily be idolatry or necromancy, it's simply something we do not teach.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,242
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Rude and hotty!!

Ironic that you quote this verse. You seem to have your eyes firmly shut and your ears blocked to any reasonable response you are being given.

13. R. Genevieve

R. Genevieve Member

+184
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    This is what I have gathered.

Technically speaking, it is not prayer to the saints, it is intercession. Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and even some Anglicans see it as no different than asking a living person to pray. Since Christ defeated death (and based on information gathered from the passages in Revelation that have already been mentioned), martyrs and other dead saints are only physically dead. Their souls are in heaven, where they continue to pray for those who are still alive on Earth.

Some saints are seen as having a particular concern for people of different occupations, from ethnic groups, or who are struggling with something in particular, just as a Christian on Earth might have a particular desire to help a certain group of people. (That's not to say they only help those people. That's just the community to where God has called them.) Usually there is some sort of reason for that saint to be considered the patron of a particular group that is based on that saint's own earthly life and experiences (e. g., St. Patrick is the patron saint of Irish people, both in Ireland and throughout the Irish diaspora, because he is historically credited with the Christianization of Ireland). From what I understand, though, their patronage doesn't mean they're the only saint who is praying for that person about whatever they're going through.

Most Protestants are uncomfortable with practicing intercession (I say most because not every Protestant has such a problem with it). Some go so far as to call it idolatry, but most Catholics I know of are well aware of the theological difference between praying to God and asking a saint for prayer, so arguably it is different.

I hope I've explained that well enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Gracia Singh

+6,111
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Dang, that was pretty good! Thank you!

We do directly petition Saints (e.g. "Immaculate Mary, help us!"), but we still understand it as us requesting their help via prayer and intercession, through the authority and power God has given them in Christ. Just like a human being down here praying for deliverance for a person, and God hearing and honoring that request.

You explained it really well, though! Cool!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Natsumi Lam

Natsumi Lam Preparer of the Bride Supporter

+662
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Then why did i say i was going to research and possibly change my pov.

16. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,242
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You also said "pearls to swine", did you not?

17. ChicanaRose

+511
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The thing is, you don't need to change your pov or agree with everyone to be accepted as their sister in Christ. We already agree on the first order doctrines, and things outside of these do not make someone more or less saved. If you decide you want to pray to the saints, I will still consider you my sister in Christ.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Gracia Singh

+6,111
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I've got a Protestant husband; at this point, this is essentially my attitude, too. If he doesn't do everything that I do, or feel that the Papacy is Scriptural, or read a Bible with 73 books in it, he's still my husband, he's still a Christian, I still love him, and we're still married.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  19. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member

+1,575
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I would never ask anyone to modify their point of view on spiritual matters. If I cannot agree with their perspective or feel we are too far apart I will remain pleasant and keep my boundaries in place.

I won't tell someone they need to change their beliefs. I would avoid dating or developing a deeper connection if we were spiritually incompatible. :)

20. Natsumi Lam

Natsumi Lam Preparer of the Bride Supporter

+662
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Check the order of my posts. I will modify that post since you are offended.