• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Saints who Protect

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Natsumi Lam, Apr 9, 2019.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,869
    Christian
    Private
    They say praying to saints is no different than asking any christian to pray for you. However if i ask someone to pray for me i dont make statues, icons, or necklaces of them. So its not the same thing.

2. Natsumi Lam

Natsumi Lam Preparer of the Bride Supporter

+665
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So far those verses do not support praying to the "dead". Nor do they support the concept contextually that dead people are alive in the way it has been portrayed.

3. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,847
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    I have heard of people being told that they have a "spiritual guide" we were warned of this danger in youth group in the 70's...

Our spiritual guide is the Holy Spirit that lives in us.. We may have unseen guardian angles.. but we don't pray to them or communicate with them..If we pray for protection they are there... some have been seen by others but never seen by the one being protected...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?" Supporter

+9,874
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    A few Sunday's ago whoever wrote our Prayers of the People really messed up the commemorative prayer of St. Oscar Romero, using a form very similar to what we sometimes would pray to remember in general those who have died, that God would grant them rest. I almost felt telling Pastor, "Look pastor, Oscar Romero does not need our prayers... If anything, we would need his prayers".

5. JacksBratt

+3,847
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  6. JacksBratt

+3,847
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    We have no communion with them at all. We share a common faith.. They are experiencing their fruits.. we are planting our seeds.

Only the Father, Son or Holy Ghost will hear me pray.. these are the ones that I pray to.

7. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,333
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    By prayer.

Pray.

Because God isn’t our sole protector. As connected, living beings we have the blessing of numerous people in a vast network over the entire earth who work to protect us.

Not any more than me needing help and calling 911 instead of a church does.

• Like Like x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 2
    • List
  8. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?" Supporter

+9,874
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Perhaps you don't sing the hymn, The Church's One Foundation as we do (I think it's one of those hymns that is a Lutheran favorite, even though it was written by an Anglican) ?

9. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,869
    Christian
    Private
    Whats that have to do with my post?

10. JacksBratt

+3,847
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Not directed to you.. an addition to your post. Sorry for quoting you.. I'll fix it.

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,869
    Christian
    Private
    I see, thanks.

12. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,180
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I was once asked, since Mary and Saints are not omnipresent, how can they hear the prayers of thousands of people around the world? The list must be overwhelming.

13. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,196
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    This was during a period of spiritual hardship. I was fighting for my freedom. What I saw was not of God. I believe the Holy Spirit permitted it so I'd see it was not as I believed. I needed to know what was good and bad and the deceptions which pretended otherwise.

I am familiar with spirit guides but they are demons in disguise. I wasn't always aware of this but I was shown the truth. I have never seen an angel but I recollect something being pulled off of me during this period.

But I've seen a demon once and hope that's the lone occasion. I can sense their presence through hearing, touch and smell. I'll know if he's near me but I won't see his form.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,333
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I tend to suspect that their status as Saints highlights that they operate on a spiritual level and with awarenesses not available or utilized by the majority and therefore can feel and receive in ways most cannot or are unable to or choose not to be able to.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. ChicanaRose

+1,180
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The practice of devotion to the saints (i.e. a memorial to honor them) was present as early as the second century. Believers would gather around the burial sites of apostles. I don't know if that would be considered a scriptural practice, but some Christians started it. This devotion eventually turned into invocations, which was approved by the church by the fourth century. The fact that the practice has been around for a long time does not necessarily prove that it's scriptural. I mean, paganism has endured for way more than 2000 years, but it's certainly not scriptural. But I advise you to keep researching until you arrive at the truth. Ultimately, this will be between you and the Holy Spirit.

source
    Sheridan, Mark. “The Saints as an Element in the Communion and Communication in the Early Church.” One in Christ 50, no. 2 (2016)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,869
    Christian
    Private
    Just because it was found in the second century doesnt mean its right. Also, just because a church approves something doesnt mean its right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. JacksBratt

+3,847
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Glad that is all you experienced. This sort of thing can be very attractive to anyone.
    I wasn't quoting you to put you down. I was agreeing with you that this is real and very dangerous.

Glad to hear you figured it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,196
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    It went further than I've described and I didn't think you were being unkind. I spent many years looking for God in different places. But His loving-kindness and patience didn't fail me when I needed Him most. He revealed the truth and led me home. I'm indebted to Him. :)

I never had a spirit guide but I knew others who did. I could always tell when they were talking and the spirit was speaking through them. I don't know how. But I noticed the difference. Oftentimes people find their way to these teachings through New Age or Native American practices.

19. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,656
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Matthew 19:26

Is God not in His saints? (John 14:23)

Is it not possible, or even likely, that you vastly underestimate the effects of God's grace in His saints and the power that His grace bestows upon them? If I did this (i.e. grotesquely underestimated the transformation of humankind by the Holy Spirit), I wouldn't bother asking any of them to pray for us either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. ChicanaRose

+1,180
    United States
    Christian
    Private

I don't think grotesquely is a fair term. I knew we are going to be sinless and have perfect bodies in heaven but I didn't know that we are also going to have god-like powers.

Sometimes, one's tone influences the hearer's receptivity. But aside from this, I will consider what you wrote.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019