✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
itiswrittenad.jpg

This graphic design is just an example why we as Adventists are accused of placing EGW on an unBiblical level by other denominations. Such ridiculous images only confirm these charges and thus provide more fuel and ammunition for formers who claim the same thing.

Will the church decide to do some damage control and clarify, once and for all, she is not idolized in our ranks, or will they continue to endorse such pictures to the detriment of our credibility as a Sola Scriptura church?

A picture is worth a thousand words. This one shows we are light years from even considering what must be done in order to no longer be considered a cult. :(

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/SavedForever/itiswrittenad.jpg

This graphic design is just an example why we as Adventists are accused of placing EGW on an unBiblical level by other denominations. Such ridiculous images only confirm these charges and thus provide more fuel and ammunition for formers who claim the same thing.

Will the church decide to do some damage control and clarify, once and for all, she is not idolized in our ranks, or will they continue to endorse such pictures to the detriment of our credibility as a Sola Scriptura church?

A picture is worth a thousand words. This one shows we are light years from even considering what must be done in order to no longer be considered a cult. :(
And will ever be done COMPLAINING about the SDA church? Mr. DARKnight?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
As a result of recent unrest on the SDA forum I am taking a moment to remind our members of a few CF rules.

CF Rule 2.1 states in part:

You will not "flame" other members or groups of members. Flaming includes, but is not limited to:
- Ridiculing, insulting, or demeaning another member or group of members;
- Ridiculing another member's beliefs;
- Ridiculing public figures important to another's religious beliefs;

Please take notice of the bolded clause.

While discussion of Ellen G. Whites role in adventism is permitted and encouraged please do not allow this thread to descend to ridiculing her or those who may hold her part in Adventism in high esteem or regard.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have not ridiculed EGW anywhere on this thread. I am merely trying to make a point that the church has presented her in a way that invites ridicule from her critics.

I do not believe that she was 'Saint Ellen', but that is the perception being put forward by these sorts of pictures.

THAT WAS MY POINT.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not ridiculed EGW anywhere on this thread. I am merely trying to make a point that the church has presented her in a way that invites ridicule from her critics.

I do not believe that she was 'Saint Ellen', but that is the perception being put forward by these sorts of pictures.

THAT WAS MY POINT.

Is there something wrong with recognizing and honoring a person who has played a major role in the SDA church?

That is what I see when I look at the picture. You see something else because you refuse to approach it with an unbiased perspective:sigh:

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/SavedForever/itiswrittenad.jpg

You are drawing the wrong conclusion from the picture.

The picture has nothing to do with making out that EGW is a saint.

Our Church does not support the thinking that EGW is a saint at all.

In fact she is not quoted that much these days.

If we ban any quotes from EGW are we also going to stop quotes from other Christian authors.

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is an interesting image, the centrality of the Ellen White and James White (I am assuming it is James as he really started the printing endeavors for the SDA church) in the picture is likely to suggest something to some people. But then it is art and as such subject to multiple interpetations.

What I find most troubling is that the picture into heaven is all about the heavenly sanctuary. It is a picture of Jesus as High priest and the ark of the covenant. Shining out rather like the typical art of the second coming. At least they are not trying to hide what kind of gospel they are teaching, though you have to know what their message is before you could see the significance of the painting.

It is not the kind of gospel I would like to see us offer people, I think the reality of Christ is far more useful then the Old Testament symbols.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see they have Martin Luther right next to Ellen White.

Wouldn't THAT be an interesting conversation to listen in on...

Martin Luther was not without error. You should know that he was a man that hated Jews and wanted to rip the book of James out of the Bible.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Martin Luther was not without error.

I never said he was.

You should know that he was a man that hated Jews and wanted to rip the book of James out of the Bible.

He also drank beer. What's your point? His salvation theology was still dead-on.[/quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I find the picture awesome! It depicts our churches history and those who formed it--with Jesus as our High Priest in the heavenly sanctuary!! This IS Adventism.

Heb 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Luther also rejected the sabbath truth.

To those who rest in the Lord today, lets not get too distracted.
True, buuut, the Sunday thing had been around for so long, it had probably been drilled into his head, so to just change his day of worship to Saturday would have taken a major change of mind and heart.

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually Luther did not want to rip the book of James from the Bible. He called it an epistle of straw because it did not teach justification by faith which was for him the heart of the gospel. You will notice if you read Luther that he quotes from books which he thought had less inspiration such as James and Revelation. Unfortunately in Adventism there is a lot of misleading information spread about Luther.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Amen. They use Luther's faults to try and discredit and cast off what he was correct on. Mocking Luther would be considered the height of disrespect in any other denomination. In Adventism, it is just par for the course.

The other areas where Luther fell short are not even the issue here. Not one theologian could ever touch him in the area of salvation theology. Period.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other areas where Luther fell short are not even the issue here. Not one Adventist theologian could ever touch him in the area of salvation theology. Period.

I beg to differ with that. Luther wasn't as great a theologian as you think he was. He erred on many points of doctrine.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually Luther did not want to rip the book of James from the Bible. He called it an epistle of straw because it did not teach justification by faith which was for him the heart of the gospel. You will notice if you read Luther that he quotes from books which he thought had less inspiration such as James and Revelation. Unfortunately in Adventism there is a lot of misleading information spread about Luther.

The bottom line is that he did not agree that the book of James belonged in the Bible. Thus he did not agree with its contents on the issues of faith, works, and salvation.

And for the simple fact that he did disagree with it, this evidences that his view on salvation was limited in its scope. Hence his doctrine on salvation did not reflect the complete gospel message.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I beg to differ with that. Luther wasn't as great a theologian as you think he was. He erred on many points of doctrine.

I think I just finished saying that he was not correct on all points of doctrine. :doh:

Why should this matter? Show me one theologian who got everything right all the time? There are none.

The light God had for Luther and his time was justification by faith, and he got it 100% correct.

Upvote 0