Sabbath School Lesson, 3rd Quarter 2006

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/index.html

I am wondering how you all like the Sabbath School Lesson for this Quarter?

There are some out here that do not like them at all.

They do not like the concept that we are now being taught the Investigative Judment.

To me it is one of our pillars and should be taught and explained so that all the members know what it means.

Perhaps we can have some discussion about the Lesson here and find out what we all think of them.

Blessings

Goya

Dec 6, 2005
Miami, FL
✟8,014.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Cliff2 said:
The big question that is often asked by opponents to the IJ is that if God knows everything and we all believe that then why does He need to have an investigation to see who is going to be saved.
Indeed. I havn't seen no where in the BIBLE and bible alone that God mentions he will be making an investigation on our lives. If anyone here can please explaining this to me without making up conjuctures out of scripture or taking it out of its context? I would really appreciate it.:)

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

Goya said:
Indeed. I havn't seen no where in the BIBLE and bible alone that God mentions he will be making an investigation on our lives. If anyone here can please explaining this to me without making up conjuctures out of scripture or taking it out of its context? I would really appreciate it.:)

God always investigates before He executes His judgment. Not that He didn't know the outcome, He does so to demonstrate to all the intelligent beings that His judgment is fair.

I don't think we need to go over the parts in the bible that our works are recorded and will be examined for judgment?

We need to understand that in this controversy, it is really God who is on trial. The devil is challenging God's rulership. By the witness of our transformation, we are the proof of God's love and justice. The investigative judgment is not only necessary but essential for the security of the universe.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cliff2 said:
http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/index.html

I am wondering how you all like the Sabbath School Lesson for this Quarter?

There are some out here that do not like them at all.

They do not like the concept that we are now being taught the Investigative Judment.

To me it is one of our pillars and should be taught and explained so that all the members know what it means.

Perhaps we can have some discussion about the Lesson here and find out what we all think of them.

Blessings

I haven't looked at the current quarterly much yet, but I look forward to reading it and seeing how it addresses this topic, which seems quite controversial these days. To be honest, though, I haven't always been impressed with the way the SS lessons cover some issues. I prefer to use the Bible for study.

Upvote 0

jabechler

Mar 16, 2006
✟324.00
Faith
SDA
I am glad to see this study on the foundational truth which adventism is founded on. It is a pillar and all the truths hinge on this truth. The idea of the investigative Judgement is in relation to the sanctuary services of the old testament. For now I would say to the sceptics that it is biblical and relates to the day of atonement. I agree with " on the DL " and I add that as an adventist this is what makes us unique in the christian community. It relates and is an important part of the 3 angels message that we are commissioned to give to the world. the judgement of God is not coming, it is here. Are you ready for it.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Sophia7 said:
I haven't looked at the current quarterly much yet, but I look forward to reading it and seeing how it addresses this topic, which seems quite controversial these days. To be honest, though, I haven't always been impressed with the way the SS lessons cover some issues. I prefer to use the Bible for study.

I see your point, but when it comes to sabbath School Lesson study time, what do you all do?

Does your whole Sabbath School do the same study as you or just what happens?

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Goya said:

Have you ever read from the Bible where God has made a judgment and not did an investigation beforehand?

Right back in the Garden of Eden God came along and asked Adam questions. That to me is an investigation.

It is true that we will not find the word "investigation" in the Bible but that is what took place.

I know that some posts have made a reply to my question but let's nreally get down to the real reason as why God would need to hold an investigation and see if we can come up with some genuine Biblical support for such a doctrine.

This is what our Church members really need to know.

It will settle the issue once and for all.

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cliff2 said:
I see your point, but when it comes to sabbath School Lesson study time, what do you all do?

Does your whole Sabbath School do the same study as you or just what happens?

We do use the quarterly for our adult Sabbath School lessons. However, when I teach the lesson, I generally focus on one or two Bible passages that get the point of the lesson across, and I ask questions about the text itself, using it as my outline. The quarterly tends to jump around too much from text to text, and it encourages people to look up verses to answer specific questions but not to read them in context.

I have now read the first two lessons in the quarterly in preparation for today's SS. What I eventually decided to concentrate on was the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:31-46) and the parable of the wedding banquet (Matthew 22:1-14). The quarterly covered these passages somewhat, and I focused on them because they illustrate well what the basis of God's judgment will be.

I have attended many Sabbath Schools in which the teacher simply read word-for-word from the quarterly and asked all the same questions that the quarterly asked, which was quite boring for those who had already read it all. In those lessons, we hardly ever ended up getting past Tuesday's lesson anyway. I find it more helpful and interesting to have a specific focus and to get into the Bible a bit more in depth than the quarterly does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
winslow said:
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, the small and the great, stand before God. And books were opened, and another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The book of life contains the names of the saved. The bible here says that those written in the book of life will be judged, according to their works.

The judgement isn't to "find out" who is saved. The works of the saved witness that their faith is true. As stated in the first lesson, a reason of the judgement is the "justification" of God's character. How His justice can condemn sinners (unrepentant) and His grace can save sinners (repentant)

If you are not familiar with the IJ you need to study it out or you will have all kinds of misinterpretations as to what it is.

Everyone seems to have a different take on the IJ so let's have your take on it while it is going around.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
SnowBird77 said:
I find it interesting that humans who have not properly addressed the task they were given spend so much time trying to figure out a task that is only for the Creator. I am tempted to call it a colossal waste of valuable time.

What "task" do you see that as being.

The Bible addresses many issues and as long as God has given us light on them I do not see a problem with looking at what is in the Bible.

The judgment is there for us to consider, so why not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums