Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found the following below posted in the Catholic Forum .... because of a "flaming rule" there is no other place really that this can be safely talked about .... non the less .... it should be discussed.

I found this great little summary of errors of Seventh Day Adventism. This sect of Christianity claims that Christians should not worship on Sunday, which is the “sign of the beast’, but that we should all worship on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.This article summarizes their beliefs, errors, thoughts on Catholics and how to respond. Enjoy. It begins:

Answering Seventh Day Adventism

There are two major distinctive claims of Seventh Day Adventism, which separate it from the rest of Christianity:

First, that Christians are supposed to keep Saturday, the Sabbath, holy. They oppose worshiping on Sunday, arguing that it’s against the Ten Commandments and generally anti-Scriptural.

Second, that the founder of Seventh Day Adventism, Ellen G. White, was a prophet.

The official Seventh Day Adventist website declares:

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction.

But as we’ll quickly see, White was no prophet, and her works are riddled with errors. Let’s look at two of her major claims about the Sabbath, both from her supposedly-inspired book, The Great Controversy. I. When Did Sunday Worship Begin?

For the whole article, click here.

Above is not the full article, but a short summary

Actually the full article is here:

Answering Seventh Day Adventism – Shameless Popery

Perhaps the moderator of this forum can post some links that gives the actual 7th Day Adventist view(s) in regard to these matters.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I found the following below posted in the Catholic Forum .... because of a "flaming rule" there is no other place really that this can be safely talked about .... non the less .... it should be discussed.

I found this great little summary of errors of Seventh Day Adventism. This sect of Christianity claims that Christians should not worship on Sunday, which is the “sign of the beast’, but that we should all worship on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.This article summarizes their beliefs, errors, thoughts on Catholics and how to respond. Enjoy. It begins:

There are two major distinctive claims of Seventh Day Adventism, which separate it from the rest of Christianity:

First, that Christians are supposed to keep Saturday, the Sabbath, holy. They oppose worshiping on Sunday, arguing that it’s against the Ten Commandments and generally anti-Scriptural.

Second, that the founder of Seventh Day Adventism, Ellen G. White, was a prophet.

One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord’s messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction.

But as we’ll quickly see, White was no prophet, and her works are riddled with errors. Let’s look at two of her major claims about the Sabbath, both from her supposedly-inspired book, The Great Controversy. I. When Did Sunday Worship Begin?

Perhaps the moderator of this forum can post some links that gives the actual 7th Day Adventist view(s) in regard to these matters.

There are a lot of Catholic web Sites that profane Ellen white; one might wonder why. I have respect for Ellen White, who in most ways was a Methodist; I do not expect her to be perfect, she would be a strange and unique specimen if she was. The church she started was first a Sunday church and she would never have considered the seventh day Sabbath had she not read a book written by a Seventh Day Baptist lady. And as you would see if you look into the matter you will quickly find you have a choice of going with God or going with Rome (the beast with the false prophet, the prostitute, riding on the beasts back). Some of her followers may have over done the prophet bit.

Ellen white claimed to be an interpreter of scripture, and as she was aware would disqualify her to be of the order of the prophets of old, yet the greatest of all prophets, John the Baptist, never made a single prophesy that I know of. There is a prophesy that says, in the last days the young members of the church would prophecy; Ellen White fulfilled that prophesy; I wonder how many of her critic even know God?

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ellen White should be a thorn in the sides of Adventists, one cannot become part of their origination without believing she was a true prophet. One Hundred percent of the candidates are oblivious of the falsehoods in her writings. Most never study her writings, they accept her by faith. Had the candidates read her book An Appeal to mothers or the nine volume books of Testimonies to the Church before Baptism, the church would be much smaller, maybe nonexistent. Beyond those books she wrote volumes of books and articles, and pamphlets, many that have pages of plagiarized writings, some word for word.

How can a person agree to stand for someone or something he/she has never been exposed? I am a great example of someone. The only exposure to EGW I had was the things I was being taught by someone who was taught the same way I was being taught and literature sanitized with statements that happened to be appealing and truthful. It has taken me many years to evaluate EGW's writings with the truths of the Holy Writ. EG failed my evaluation and has failed the evaluation of hundreds of thousands, more like millions and millions since she began distributing her writings.

As post #1 states, EGW's greatest deception is the observance of the Sabbath that God only gave to Israel. She taught that I could not be saved unless I observe the weekly Sabbath. Had I lived and died before 1844 I would have had a pass on the salvation issue. :preach:
So do you believe that Martin Luther and the leaders of the Reformation were led by God, or did they correct errors and corrupted doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church on their own...?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't know if she is a prophet or not ....
There are a lot of Catholic web Sites that profane Ellen white; one might wonder why. I have respect for Ellen White, who in most ways was a Methodist; I do not expect her to be perfect, she would be a strange and unique specimen if she was. The church she started was first a Sunday church and she would never have considered the seventh day Sabbath had she not read a book written by a Seventh Day Baptist lady. And as you would see if you look into the matter you will quickly find you have a choice of going with God or going with Rome (the beast with the false prophet, the prostitute, riding on the beasts back). Some of her followers may have over done the prophet bit.

Ellen white claimed to be an interpreter of scripture, and as she was aware would disqualify her to be of the order of the prophets of old, yet the greatest of all prophets, John the Baptist, never made a single prophesy that I know of. There is a prophesy that says, in the last days the young members of the church would prophecy; Ellen White fulfilled that prophesy; I wonder how many of her critic even know God?
Eh ... people have their opinions on her ..... she was a gifted writer .... catholics bad mouth her because she was a protestant through and through ..... of which there isn't many of those left these days

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ellen White should be a thorn in the sides of Adventists, one cannot become part of their origination without believing she was a true prophet. One Hundred percent of the candidates are oblivious of the falsehoods in her writings. Most never study her writings, they accept her by faith. Had the candidates read her book An Appeal to mothers or the nine volume books of Testimonies to the Church before Baptism, the church would be much smaller, maybe nonexistent. Beyond those books she wrote volumes of books and articles, and pamphlets, many that have pages of plagiarized writings, some word for word.

How can a person agree to stand for someone or something he/she has never been exposed? I am a great example of someone. The only exposure to EGW I had was the things I was being taught by someone who was taught the same way I was being taught and literature sanitized with statements that happened to be appealing and truthful. It has taken me many years to evaluate EGW's writings with the truths of the Holy Writ. EG failed my evaluation and has failed the evaluation of hundreds of thousands, more like millions and millions since she began distributing her writings.

As post #1 states, EGW's greatest deception is the observance of the Sabbath that God only gave to Israel. She taught that I could not be saved unless I observe the weekly Sabbath. Had I lived and died before 1844 I would have had a pass on the salvation issue. :preach:
Why so angry, did someone stamp on your foot. There are personal reasons why I never became a SDA member, but bitter and twisted I am not. There is a line, on one side is the Sabbath, on the other side is the first day of the week or Sunday; the Sabbath represents the covenant of the God of Israel and Sunday represents the covenant of Rome and of the False Prophet (a covenant that cannot be articulated even). I presume you are now a Sunday man. In bagging the SDA you seem to have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Holy Spirit leads each of us, if we are willing, to seek truth. I believe Martin Luther allowed the Holy Spirit to guide him as he studied scripture. Surfs were taken advantage of by the Church of Rome because they could not read or write. What excuse do we use today for accepting that which is not true? We don't. Why do we allow others to do the thinking for us?
Yet, you judge and tear down a Christian and her life and the leading of the Holy Spirit without much of any examination of the fruits of her works, to say nothing of the truth in it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
One thing I respect about the SDA church is their openness concerning the writings of Ellen G White. EGW Writings®: The Complete Published Books of Ellen G. White is a site open to all and contains volumes of her writings.

Please explain your thought that there are not a lot of Protestants left today.
Perhaps you got lost but this is a place for Seventh-day Adventist who accept the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

Community Rules
In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against this group's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. All posts within this faith community must adhere to the

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet, you judge and tear down a Christian and her life and the leading of the Holy Spirit without much of any examination of the fruits of her works, to say nothing of the truth in it.
Amen, brother
Reading (actually listening to audio) Prophets and Kings right now.
Fascinating
Profound
Eye opening

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you got lost but this is a place for Seventh-day Adventist who accept the 28 Fundamental Beliefs of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

Community Rules
In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against this group's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. All posts within this faith community must adhere to the
Thanks SB, I didn't realize I wasn't in the forum I always post in. I will have to trace how I got here and started posting. I hope I can remove my posts,

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Community Rules
I feel this is a debate that should be had; the person who started the debate may have been up to mischief and the thread should be moved to the appropriate place; I do not know how to do that; maybe that is what the report button is for; I to did not realise where I was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I feel this is a debate that should be had; the person who started the debate may have been up to mischief and the thread should be moved to the appropriate place; I do not know how to do that; maybe that is what the report button is for; I to did not realise where I was.
We welcome non-Adventist in this forum and most posters here are happy to help answer questions, as long as they are with good intent, so feel free to stick around. :)

I do not think the OP was up to any mischief just wanting input from Adventists.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

You are right Ellen White was first a Methodist, she never started a Sunday church but was a member, she started studying the Bible with a baptist minister and a group and learned about the Sabbath Truth. After 1844 came and went and once realized the sanctuary being referred to was a heavenly sanctuary, not an earthy one, this group studied together for another 20+ years before forming the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I haven't read all her writings .... but what I have read hasn't contradicted His written word ... her writings are very inspirational and informative ... many take some of her writings out of context. Yes it is about Rome, why people don't seen that is amazing .... many being deceived .... how that ends up ..... we will see. I am hopeful many will hear:

Revelation 18:4

I haven't read all her writings .... but what I have read hasn't contradicted His written word ... her writings are very inspirational and informative ... many take some of her writings out of context. Yes it is about Rome, why people don't seen that is amazing .... many being deceived .... how that ends up ..... we will see. I am hopeful many will hear:

Revelation 18:4

Berean Standard Bible
Then I heard another voice from heaven say: “Come out of her, My people, so that you will not share in her sins or contract any of her plagues.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I found this great little summary of errors of Seventh Day Adventism. This sect of Christianity claims that Christians should not worship on Sunday, which is the “sign of the beast’, but that we should all worship on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath.

1. A great many Sunday and Saturday Sabbath keeping groups affirm the fact that all ten of God's TEN commandments still remain in His moral law - written on the heart under the New Covenant.

2. Adventists do not teach that those who keep Sunday instead of Saturday as the Sabbath have the mark of the beast. We teach that no one has the Mark of beast of Rev 13 until the events it predicts take place.

3. There are many Sabbath keeping groups besides Adventists that teach that the Bible Sabbath is on Saturday (Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset)

This article summarizes their beliefs, errors, thoughts on Catholics and how to respond. Enjoy. It begins:

Which is the same as most of the non-SDA Bible Sabbath keeping groups.
True we do teach that

True our official statements to say that.

There is a book by Samuel Bacchiocchi that also lays out the historic transition from Saturday to Sunday for the Sabbath "Lord's day".

So also do Catholic scholars admit that it is not in the Bible - but is rather an act of the Catholic church.

The Catholic Commentary on the Baltimore Catechism post Vatican II - argues the SAME two points about the TEN and Sabbath.
1965 -- first published 1959
(from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...​
"The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
"nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,858.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
1. A great many Sunday and Saturday Sabbath keeping groups affirm the fact that all ten of God's TEN commandments still remain in His moral law - written on the heart under the New Covenant.

2. Adventists do not teach that those who keep Sunday instead of Saturday as the Sabbath have the mark of the beast. We teach that no one has the Mark of beast of Rev 13 until the events it predicts take place.

3. There are many Sabbath keeping groups besides Adventists that teach that the Bible Sabbath is on Saturday (Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset)

Which is the same as most of the non-SDA Bible Sabbath keeping groups.

True we do teach that

True our official statements to say that.

There is a book by Samuel Bacchiocchi that also lays out the historic transition from Saturday to Sunday for the Sabbath "Lord's day".

So also do Catholic scholars admit that it is not in the Bible - but is rather an act of the Catholic church.

The Catholic Commentary on the Baltimore Catechism post Vatican II - argues the SAME two points about the TEN and Sabbath.
1965 -- first published 1959
(from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...​
"The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
"nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"
Calling the Sabbath (or Sunday) the Lord's day is something men do, and is not exactly Biblical; Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man, so it would be be more Biblical to call it "mans' day", accept the fourth commandment ; that leaves us with the day belonging to both God and man. The issue of Saturday or Sunday boils down to is God God or is the Pope God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FPhelps

Sep 9, 2022
CHADSTONE
✟22,248.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
its not just Ellen g white, its the whole concept of petting Christian leaders on a pedestal which is ridiculous. The only person who should be on a pedestal is Jesus-no one else

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
its not just Ellen g white, its the whole concept of petting Christian leaders on a pedestal which is ridiculous. The only person who should be on a pedestal is Jesus-no one else
Of course, no one is saying or doing anything different.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you claiming all prophets are put on a pedestal?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We all take that view when it comes to Jesus vs Paul or Jesus vs Peter or Jesus vs anyone-you-wish to name.

That is not the issue for this thread.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Calling the Sabbath (or Sunday) the Lord's day is something men do, and is not exactly Biblical; Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man, so it would be be more Biblical to call it "mans' day",
Mark 2:28 "The Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"
Is 58:13 “If, because of the Sabbath, you restrain your foot
From doing as you wish on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of the Lord honorable,
And honor it, desisting from your own ways,
From seeking your own pleasure
And speaking your own word,

That is not said of any other day of the week - so in terms of what is Biblical it is the Lord's day.

accept the fourth commandment ; that leaves us with the day belonging to both God and man. The issue of Saturday or Sunday boils down to is God God or is the Pope God.
amen

Upvote 0