Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The contemporary church slogan “All Are Welcome” is certainly warm but it is not only warm, it is fuzzy. On the one hand “All Are Welcome” shouldn’t even need to be stated. It should be part of any church’s basic self understanding. Saying “All are Welcome” always strikes me as just a little bit creepy. I’m reminded of a banner I once saw over a school saying, “Children are welcome here.” Well, duh. It’s a school.

Anyway, I think the “all Are Welcome” slogan fits pretty neatly with the Diversity, Inclusion and Equity agenda that is also a current trend in the Synod of Synodical Synods for a Synodical Church of Synods. But of course all are welcome. That’s the mission of the Church. To welcome all to repent and believe the gospel. All are welcome to take up their cross and follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

However I feel this is not really the message the pastors and prelates of NuChurch have in mind. Instead, it feels to me that the “welcome” is a call to open the church to everyone regardless of their actual relationship to Christ. Indeed, some of the quotes coming out of the synod would suggest just that–that we welcome into the fellowship those who are not Catholic, those who are not even Christians. But if this is the case, how exactly do we do that? What is the means by which they are welcomed? Is it simply a matter of affirming them and giving everyone a big hug? Do people really want that from a church? While that is all very nice and warm and cozy, is it actually Christianity? Is it even religion or is it just being jolly nice people?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying we should NOT be warm and welcoming. I’m not suggesting that we should be mean and nasty. I’m just asking, “Is that all that is required? If we are welcoming people what are welcoming them to? Is it a self help group? a community forum? A religious instruction class? A therapy session? What? If it is the Catholic Church, then it is through the preaching of the gospel and calling people to repent and be baptized–to receive instruction and become Catholics, that we welcome people. That sort of welcome works. We can do that.

Continued below.