• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Request to have a new EO sub forum where political stuff can be debated

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jude1:3Contendforthefaith, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I know that we have Saint Justin Martyr's Corner for Theological debate with other Christian groups but can we create another sub forum where EO posters can debate other EO about politics and Theology please ?

Almost like having a combat sparring room where it's a little bit more lax on the rules and moderation (Just a little bit, but people will know what to expect and won't get their feelings hurt) where people can Theologically spar about political and Church topics.

The reason I ask is because it's annoying and burdensome seeing all the bickering and political stuff being posted lately.

That way we can just tell the people starting stuff, Hey take that stuff over to "The Political / Theological Sparring Room" or whatever we choose to name it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,536
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    sounds like a plan to me, I would be cool with that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Maybe we can call it Saint George's Sparring Room :

[​IMG]

Or maybe Saint Constantine's Debate Room :

[​IMG]

Or even Saint Justinian's Sparring Room :

[​IMG]

Or Saint Demetrios' Colosseum :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+490
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Out of curiosity have you seen the private forums on the big orthodox christianity forum site?

5. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I don't think I have.

Are you talking about the OC .net forum ?

6. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,690
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Sure, but it would certainly be a den of villainy that none should go to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,284
    Christian
    You could just have them label threads in your normal debate area EO only and have them change the SOP of the forum to include that provision such that non EO are not allowed to debate in those threads while others in the same area they can participate in non labeled threads. The Eschatology forum is a place where some threads are labeled like this one: Pre-Trib Only - My New End Times Chronology
    (I've not read this thread for content)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sure.

9. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    That's a pretty good idea.

10. archer75

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I just suggest we not use a saint's name as a joke.

11. archer75

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I just suggest we not use a saint's name as a joke.

12. archer75

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    St. Mary of Paris was involved in "social troubles" of her day with her ministry and her manner of death. Maybe St. Mary's?

13. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Sorry. I didn't mean it as a joke towards The Saints.

I was just trying to make light of the situation and all the bickering.

I'll edit the "LOL" part out.

14. archer75

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Nah, I think there it was ok, but not enshrined in the name of a subforum.

• List
  15. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

+2,481
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Got it.

16. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,047
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I like the idea bigly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,579
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    We could call it "Mos Eisley's Cantina".

18. Xenophon

Xenophon Active Member

+391
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Sometimes around Gurney and ArmyMatt, I wonder if this is the subforum for Jedi-ism.

19. rakovsky

rakovsky Newbie

+487
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I do not not think that a Politics section here is a very good idea. What unites us here is our loyalty to Orthodox Christianity, not common politics. Political debates can create spiritual wounds and harshness that can be very counterproductive.

On Orthodox Christianity.net there is one politics section for the whole forum, and you need to ask permission to get in. There are good reasons for that.

Let me try to illustrate. Consider a historical question: Did King David sin? Even after his repentance of practically killing Uriah, does the Bible actually portray aspects of his subsequent rule and decisionmaking in a negative, degraded, harsh light? My impression is that the answer is Yes to both Questions, and there are theologians who would agree with me. In one episode from late in his life, David tells Solomon about a person who had rebelled against David, but whom David swore would not be hurt by him. David tells Solomon to find a way to kill the person after Savid's death, despite his promise. There are a couple other incidents like this.

Now some rabbis today take the view that David NEVER sinned, including in his virtual killing of Uriah. After all, they argue, David was the chief commander and could legitimately order his troops to fall back, leaving Uriah open to the enemy's attack like they died.

At this point, some Christian theologians and those rabbis could end up in a vociferous argument. But at least the issue would be historical or rather indirectly theological, and not involve ongoing Politics. Imagine living under King Solomon and trying to argue with other Israelites about whether those orders from David were decadent. You would get a lot of rancor and risk Solomon's wrath. Perhaps it is in part for this reason that the Bible might allow a certain amount of ambiguity in its judgment of David's rule.

It seems to me that it's better to just go to the Politics section if you want Politics debates. Maybe you will find a lot of Presbyterians who agree with you that Democracy is good or you will find some Anglicans agreeing with claims about Monarchy being a better system. These kinds of debates aren't necessarily closely correlated with religious membership.

20. archer75

+4,181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I didn't think it was for vicious arguments. Kind of assumed it was for us to discuss how to understand certain cultural things, including politics, in the light of the Orthodox faith.