rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, to give you a good example, I haven't even checked for replies to my response on the recent Fr. Josiah thread because I expect acrimony against what I wrote. I think that racial prejudice still exists to a major extent in some quarters, but prejudice is typically not openly advocated in public settings because it's generally considered wrong, which it is. So for instance, you aren't going to typically get police officers writing articles saying that they like to abuse blacks, even if they do.

Meanwhile, there is a problem of some people's obliviousness to racism due to that racism not being overt. And people who are oblivious to it will naturally mistakenly perceive outspoken anti-racists as imagining a nonexistent problem.

So when in this sub-forum in the Fr. Josiah thread, I write my contrary view that anti-racism generally is not "reverse racism", etc., I expect acrimony. I imagine that there will be people who see "racial profiling" as an unimportant issue exaggerated by anti-racists like myself. And then the conversation risks getting into a spiral of arguments and counterarguments on whether anti-racists are racists, whether racism is still a real problem, topics that I think should be clear to humanitarians. And that kind of spiral and the indirect likely animosity that can follow are not what I come to the forum for. I come to the forum for things like the recent thread that I made on John 3 and the Ascension of Isaiah. And things like Fr. Matt's good job at trying to answer questions raised as forum threads. This is actually one of the most active EO forums in English online now that Monachos closed. I value people's responses and want to keep a positive focus.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Those are fair concerns. I dunno, I thought having a place to discuss such things without "airing" them to all visitors might be nice. But it seems you expect maniacal responses. If so...maybe good to hide them from inquirers?

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To The Top.

Maybe we could add a Poll or something that says :

Do you want an Orthodox Debate / Politics / News Sub Forum ?

Yes or No

That way we don't have to keep seeing provocative, depressing. divisive and drama filled thread titles on TAW main page.

Upvote 0