Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The matriarch of the Royal Family has a stamp collection worth more than $135 million—but plans to pay her future housekeeper minimum wage, Business Insider reports. Queen Elizabeth II is advertising for a part-time housekeeper on the Royal Household’s jobs board, seeking someone who will work 20 hours a week for approximately $12.95 an hour. The Firm, the corporate machine that runs the Royal Family, is worth $28 billion, while the queen's personal assets clock in at roughly half a billion dollars, per Forbes.

Queen Offers Minimum Wage to Future Employee

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And what would you pay a part-time employee?

Isn't that the going rate for a housekeeper?

Just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they should overpay what is considered a normal wage for the job. Looking at Glassdoor that is the correct wage for the job in that area...

If someone thinks it's not enough money they don't have to apply for the job.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I think it would be nicer if she could pay higher. It doesn't have to be outrageous, but if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't mind throwing around 40 dollars an hour or something. She has the right to charge what she wants and all, it's just yeah, I agree with the sentiment; it's sickening to think about.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The matriarch of the Royal Family has a stamp collection worth more than $135 million—but plans to pay her future housekeeper minimum wage, Business Insider reports. Queen Elizabeth II is advertising for a part-time housekeeper on the Royal Household’s jobs board, seeking someone who will work 20 hours a week for approximately $12.95 an hour. The Firm, the corporate machine that runs the Royal Family, is worth $28 billion, while the queen's personal assets clock in at roughly half a billion dollars, per Forbes.

Queen Offers Minimum Wage to Future Employee
Sounds like a reasonable rate to me.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The matriarch of the Royal Family has a stamp collection worth more than $135 million—but plans to pay her future housekeeper minimum wage, Business Insider reports. Queen Elizabeth II is advertising for a part-time housekeeper on the Royal Household’s jobs board, seeking someone who will work 20 hours a week for approximately $12.95 an hour. The Firm, the corporate machine that runs the Royal Family, is worth $28 billion, while the queen's personal assets clock in at roughly half a billion dollars, per Forbes. Queen Offers Minimum Wage to Future Employee

One thing you will find about life is that a job pays as the market desires and not on net worth.
I'd take that job at that wage for those hours just to "be a part" behind the scenes.

I always worked theater productions as a volunteer and have considered returning often. Likely 100's will apply for the position.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they should overpay what is considered a normal wage for the job. Looking at Glassdoor that is the correct wage for the job in that area...

As Christians we should not lower ourselves to the standards of this wicked world. pay someone the worth of their labor according to the Lord's kind mercy, not according to the greedy and godless sentiments of this world.

"....The kindest acts of the wicked are cruel" - Proverbs 12:10

If someone thinks it's not enough money they don't have to apply for the job.

The problem is that someone *desperate enough* will take that job.

A nation that is run by a righteous and non-corrupt government won't have any desperate citizens like in Iceland for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As Christians we should not lower ourselves to the standards of this wicked world.

"....The kindest acts of the wicked are cruel" - Proverbs 12:10

Don't the British people pay for this sort of thing?

I'll be honest I'm not well-versed in the system over there where concerns the royal family but I'm thinking it's part of government somehow... Even if only symbolic.

Which in my mind means this sort of thing is tax payer funded.

The going rate is good for a married stay at home mom who wants to work some while her children are in school etc. I see nothing wrong with the wage. People aren't forced to apply.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As Christians we should not lower ourselves to the standards of this wicked world. pay someone the worth of their labor according to the Lord's kind mercy, not according to the greedy and godless sentiments of this world.

Hey... even some of us 'godless' find such wealth disparities incredibly disgusting. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't the British people pay for this sort of thing?

I'll be honest I'm not well-versed in the system over there where concerns the royal family but I'm thinking it's part of government somehow... Even if only symbolic.

Which in my mind means this sort of thing is tax payer funded.

The going rate is good for a married stay at home mom who wants to work some while her children are in school etc. I see nothing wrong with the wage. People aren't forced to apply.

There are many people who doesn't have the mental and social aptitude and psychological stability to be anything more than a housekeeper even if they work very hard to try to improve themselves.

I live in a poor neighborhood so I see many people like those everyday. Wasn't their fault. Genes, childhood trauma, mom drank and smoked during pregnancy, drug addiction, crime, etc.

This is why there are many housekeepers working as housekeeper for the rest of their lives. And naturally, many of them do come from poor communities.

Consequently, they'll see min wage for the rest of their life. They may get a raise but not much.

Will they survive? Absolutely. But would you be content to have that salary for the rest of your life? Let's be honest to ourselves, would you feel great to give up your present life, give up your nice house and try live min wage, living in someone else's servant quarters, not seeing your kids (and not able to send them to college for that matter), waking up early everyday, working for someone who doesn't care and do that until you die. I don't think that's a life worth living. It's a very slow, agonizing way to die.

What would Jesus do? And ironically, Jesus did say something about it in the Parable of the workers in the Vineyard. It's all about being merciful to others, for we ourselves need to be given mercy from our Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hey... even some of us 'godless' find such wealth disparities incredibly disgusting. Lol.

You don't sound godless:p Your sentiments reflect the core principles of belief. The popular notion of belief based on acknowledgement of existence is a very shallow one and a false interpretation / teaching IMO. It's always been the way you look at people as how the Good Lord looks at them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And what would you pay a part-time employee?
My nanny gets $25/hr (on payroll, not under the table) plus pto and sick time. That’s full time.

Isn't that the going rate for a housekeeper?
Not in the US. The cleaners we hire bill out at around $30/man-hour, cash.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's be honest to ourselves, would you feel great to give up your present life, give up your nice house,

Haha haha

Clearly you don't know me.

Will they survive? Absolutely. But would you be content to have that salary for the rest of your life?

Happiness comes from within a person, not from money. Some of the happiest people have meager means... Some of the most miserable are wealthy.

I live in a poor neighborhood so I see many people like those everyday.

As Jesus said, the poor will always be with us. Since Jesus noted this, I will assume it's true whether you turn the wealthy into people of meager means by force or not.

What would Jesus do

What He did, since we have His example, can be found in Scripture.

Upvote 0

SamInNi

God's Riches At Christ's Expense
Jan 4, 2022
Ireland
Visit site
✟29,040.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I had to smile when I read this. It reminded me of someone I know who professionally "cared for" the royal family at the highest level for a couple of years. He couldn't share anything of course, but he did tell me they were "on another planet", and left it at that. And yes, it's an expensive planet!

Seen impartially, the Royal institution is a strange British appendage in our modern age. It's more or less an irrelevancy to most UK citizens in Scotland and Wales. Nationalists throughout Ireland would undoubtedly object to it, especially North of the border.

Over the last 40 years or so in particular it's been something of a bizarre spectacle at times. It certainly inspires contempt and sycophancy in equal measure. But it does play a significant role in tourism in the greater London area.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's sad is that this can be interpreted either as an argument for or an argument against paying minimum wage.

"Minimum wage is the value of that labor, full stop. Any more than that is extra, greedy, and godless"
vs
"Their labor is worth much more than that. Paying minimum wage is greedy and godless"

Upvote 0