Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What were they doing among the Nazis and Klansmen then?

I am distinguishing between southerners who are not pro Nazi and always took pride in their heritage from Robert E. Lee. Plenty of them fought the Nazis in WW 2. Regrettably others who like Robert E. Lee attach him to something that is wrong.

A lot of Irish Americans fought for the Union & the South during the Civil War & for varying reasons (some right, others wrong) these matters are complicated.

I know my Syrian Christian ancestors were were murdered by Ottoman Moslems but not by their fellow Arabic Moslems.

I think the same considerations must be applied to people who support Trump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am distinguishing between southerners who are not pro Nazi and always took pride in their heritage from Robert E. Lee. Plenty of them fought the Nazis in WW 2. Regrettably others who like Robert E. Lee attach him to something that is wrong.

A lot of Irish Americans fought for the Union & the South during the Civil War & for varying reasons (some right, others wrong) these matters are complicated.

I know my Syrian Christian ancestors were were murdered by Ottoman Moslems but not by their fellow Arabic Moslems.

I think the same considerations must be applied to people who support Trump.

I'm referring to the 'good people' that Trump was talking about at the 'Unite the Right' rally in Charlottesville marching among White Nationalists, Neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and Alt-Righters. You appear to be talking about someone else.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This ^ is the view that is often held by people who would benefit from better instruction in US History.

In reality, the idea that the United States were in a federation was dominant until the War. It was not until after the war that people spoke of "the United States of America, it" rather than "the United States of America, they."

As Shelby Foote notes, that changed after the war.

And the Pledge of Allegiance, which came later also, was meant as indoctrination, almost propagandistic, by including "One Nation, Indivisible" as part of the wording, since that was a reversal of the historic view concerning the nature of the union.

That the United States are united was well established by the 1890s. We had just celebrated a Centennial after all. That particular phrasing was more about letting immigrant children know that whatever country they or their parents came from, they were all Americans - one nation, indivisible - now.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The US had the Articles of Confederation before our current Constitution. Whatever America’s flaws were, the Articles were race neutral politically. Articles of Confederation

When the US was still under the Articles of Confederation, 5 states had either started to or abolished slavery. Slave states and free states - Wikipedia
So what? That has nothing to do with the constitutions of the states that seceded, nothing to do with Donald's "very fine people on both sides" crack, and absolutely nothing with the thread topic. This is nothing other than pure deflection and derailment.

'Unite the Right'.
:doh: That's right - thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So what? That has nothing to do with the constitutions of the states that seceded, nothing to do with Donald's "very fine people on both sides" crack, and absolutely nothing with the thread topic. This is nothing other than pure deflection and derailment.

:doh: That's right - thanks!

I also would have accepted "We're All Right", "You Have to Fight for Your Right" and "Nobody Left".

Upvote 0