traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"I think the 300,000-plus people who got jobs feel better about the economy," Biden said. "The American people are smart as hell and know what their interests are. I think they know they're better off financially than they were before. It's a fact."
Joe is consistent. People know that they are better off financially just like they know the border is closed, safe, and secure.
To me there are two problems with the association of Biden and people's satisfaction of the economy. First, it is generally wrong to imply that the President has the power to change that much of the economy. To an extent it is luck and to an extent the current economy is based on decisions made years before the President took office. Inflation for instance is the result of ten years of loose monetary policy and quantitative easing. Other than nominate the Chair of the Federal Reserve, the President has very little to do with this. As to the budget the President is subject to Congress. There is no line item veto, so other than the veto power, there is little the President can do. Sure a great President can lead in policy-making but even the best programs become so entrenched in government that they are generally a negative for the masses. The paths of government are littered with failures, poor budget estimates and entitlements that reduce individual efforts.

The second problem is how individual's view the economy. I am sure there is research out there, but gas, prices and wages are not reflected in an individualized outcome. No person experiences the CPI or any other inflation measure or average earnings. So even if a person was better or worse off, they may not know. I doubt the media makes too much difference either way. Biden's statement is also absurd. 300,000 got jobs could mean very little. What were the jobs, are they second jobs, are they underemployed, are they replacement jobs with lower salaries?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Add that 3.2% on top of the high inflation from last year, please.
Inflation in 1979 was 11.35%, so that's 14.8% on top of 11.35%. If 3.3% on top of 8.3% is literally destroying the country, then how did we possibly survive 79/80?

You should probably read up on this stuff like I have before trying a gotcha.

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To me there are two problems with the association of Biden and people's satisfaction of the economy. First, it is generally wrong to imply that the President has the power to change that much of the economy. To an extent it is luck and to an extent the current economy is based on decisions made years before the President took office. Inflation for instance is the result of ten years of loose monetary policy and quantitative easing. Other than nominate the Chair of the Federal Reserve, the President has very little to do with this. As to the budget the President is subject to Congress. There is no line item veto, so other than the veto power, there is little the President can do. Sure a great President can lead in policy-making but even the best programs become so entrenched in government that they are generally a negative for the masses. The paths of government are littered with failures, poor budget estimates and entitlements that reduce individual efforts.

The second problem is how individual's view the economy. I am sure there is research out there, but gas, prices and wages are not reflected in an individualized outcome. No person experiences the CPI or any other inflation measure or average earnings. So even if a person was better or worse off, they may not know. I doubt the media makes too much difference either way. Biden's statement is also absurd. 300,000 got jobs could mean very little. What were the jobs, are they second jobs, are they underemployed, are they replacement jobs with lower salaries?
As to jobs, a number came back from COVID and there was a big increase in part-time jobs.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Say what!
Biden can close the border immediately if his handlers would let him.
Sure he could, and completely thank the US economy. So while he does have the power to do so, the repercussions are so severe that "can't" is applicable.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Inflation in 1979 was 11.35%, so that's 14.8% on top of 11.35%. If 3.3% on top of 8.3% is literally destroying the country, then how did we possibly survive 79/80?

You should probably read up on this stuff like I have before trying a gotcha.
Gas is still around $5. Car insurance premiums have nearly doubled. A burger is around $9. A combo is around $12. Rent for small rundown 1 bedroom apartment is around $1800.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Inflation has stabilized for the most part.

The economy has had rising income inequality for decades. Nothing really changed under Biden. Tackling inequality is very difficult politically. It doesn't help when one political party engages in very divisive rhetoric that obscures real solutions (such as higher taxes).

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gas prices are down?????????????? The gas prices are still nearly $2 more per gallon than they were before Biden was president.
Take it up with OPEC

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gas prices are down?????????????? The gas prices are still nearly $2 more per gallon than they were before Biden was president.
Sure. Gas went up to $6+ per gallon and is now down to $5. That's the way it works. Prices double or triple, then go down a little bit and ta da the economy has been fixed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I took this photo 25 minutes ago in Plano, Texas. This is $2 a gallon less than it was in June 2022.

Thanks President Biden!
IMG_20231008_222617.jpg

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This economy is far from even being close to being fixed.
Where do you live? Because here in Dallas, there's construction everywhere, the parking lots of grocery stores, home improvement stores, malls and restaurants are full. That suggests the economy is doing pretty good, especially when you look at some other developed counties.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Who are his supposed "handlers"? Name them.
Their cover names or their Lizard names?
Record low unemployment, gas prices are down, the stock market is up. If this were a Republican President y'all would acting like this was the Roaring Twenties 2.0.
Pshaw! The Democrats foist this lousy economy onto Americans to make the Trump tax cuts “look bad”.

• Haha
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I took this photo 25 minutes ago in Plano, Texas. This is $2 a gallon less than it was in June 2022.

Thanks President Biden!
View attachment 337472
To be fair Texas’ gasoline tax is a mere 20¢/gal, less than half of Washington’s of 49.4¢/gal.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gee, what Biden Administration policy is responsible for this!?
That doesn't follow. Biden's claim is the media is responsible for negative views of the economy. I say negative views are due to the high cost of living.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That doesn't follow. Biden's claim is the media is responsible for negative views of the economy. I say negative views are due to the high cost of living.
Oh okay, I missed the point then. Sorry.
But if we’re going to pick cherries, maybe we should use “the usual” data that informs us of “how the economy is running”…maybe even add “car insurance premiums” into the mix?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh okay, I missed the point then. Sorry.
But if we’re going to pick cherries, maybe we should use “the usual” data that informs us of “how the economy is running”…maybe even add “car insurance premiums” into the mix?
People can throw data at me all day long, but it's not going to change the exorbitant amount of money I'm shelling out to cover the high cost of basic living.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single