• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Praying to Saints? - Praying to those who are already in Heaven?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Korean-American Christian, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constantine the Sinner

Constantine the Sinner Well-Known Member

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Abraham prays to an angel, "The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth."

2. Friend-of-Jesus

Friend-of-Jesus Well-Known Member

+469
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    The Bible is the Bible. And it calls all believers saints (separated) because we have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus, not of their works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. KarateCowboy

KarateCowboy Moderately moderate

+1,580
    Catholic
    Private
    I believe that is the one.

It sounds like your take on this is we all are bound for Soul Sleep until He comes again, but the few who do not sleep could be spoken to somehow. Is that a good guess?

4. Constantine the Sinner

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Christ says works show whether or not someone is a saint.

5. KarateCowboy

+1,580
    Catholic
    Private
    Yah that's the thing. It's a lot of work to sit down and mesh out about things like that. I err on the side of caution. I've called out to my late Dad once or twice "Dad! If you can hear me! Please come be with me in spirit!" -stuff like that, during a super hard time. However, I'm not quite sold on asking help from the "Pro" saints.

6. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,137
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Oh, so now the focus shifts to the content of the prayer...and yet the prayer asks St. Ann and Mary to take the prayer to Jesus for His resolution.

I think it's better than the prayers I've heard non-denoms pray...:doh:

7. sethrak

sethrak Member

+127
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Married
    You may~by force of convictions you were taught~be aggressive against some~closer to what you profess

8. Friend-of-Jesus

+469
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Angel is more powerful than human being. It's a supernatural servant of God. But should we repeat every action the patriarchs did? Should we send "Urias" to death like David to sleep with his wife? Our only perfect example is Jesus Christ. He is God.

9. Constantine the Sinner

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Soul sleep is completely unbiblical. Christ went and preached and saved those in Sheol according to 1 Peter 3:18-20, how was he preaching to people who weren't conscious? Moreover, where did they go after he saved him? Did they remain in Sheol? I don't think so. Christ also promised the thief on the cross he'd be with Him in Paradise, and Christ's account of life after death in his story of Lazarus makes it clear soul sleep does not exist. People are said to "fall asleep" when they die, in the Bible, (in fact, that is still what we Orthodox call it), but that applies strictly to their bodies, not their souls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. sethrak

sethrak Member

+127
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Married
    I don't see pictures~can we post pictures`

11. Constantine the Sinner

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Since the angels serve Jesus, of course he doesn't pray to them.

I don't know if we should repeat every action of the Patriarchs, but I do consider Abraham's faith to be immaculate and the standard of faith. So to say your faith is better than his is not admissible to me.

12. KarateCowboy

+1,580
    Catholic
    Private
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sold on soul sleep and you're right about the thief on the cross. I was just trying to see if I understand correctly where another user is coming from.

13. Root of Jesse

+3,137
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    So you think God cannot grant these abilities to His children? I think that saying God cannot do something is trying to limit God.

14. Friend-of-Jesus

+469
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Oh no. Must be in some apocryphal gospel? Muslims beleive Jesus as a child blew life back into dead birds.

I only recognize the canonical Bible.

15. Constantine the Sinner

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Angels, by the way, are NOT innately any more powerful than human beings. They are only more powerful to the degree God gives them power to do things (that also applies to demons, they can't even enter swine without God giving them the power to do so). But humans can also be given immense, supernatural authority, as with Elijah and Moses.

16. Root of Jesse

+3,137
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
  17. Constantine the Sinner

+661
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Matthew 7:17

18. Root of Jesse

+3,137
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Judge not, lest ye be judged.

19. Root of Jesse

+3,137
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    The saints in heaven are not dead. Only their bodies are dead.
    Deuteronomy 18:9-12 speaks of consulting the dead for your daily living. It's not the same thing as prayer.

20. amariselle

amariselle Jesus Never Fails

+4,128
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Of course it's about the content of the prayer! What in those prayers, for example is okay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.