People using "God said/thus saith the Lord/I sense" as a disguise for THEIR feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsGlory

Jan 3, 2006
✟371.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever had someone come to you and say "God told me brother so-and-so is involved in the sin of __________" or have you ever had someone come to you and say, "Brother, the Lord spoke to me that you need to assist me in the _____________ ministry of our church", or the all-time favorite "God spoke to me that we should get married" [and you know it's not God]???

Why do people do this? Why don't they just come out and say what their feelings are straight-away? Why do people have to tag "God" onto the end or beginning of what they personally wanted?

Are they trying to manipulate you, so you are unable to disagree?

Are they trying to appear spiritual so you think they hear from God?

What are people trying to accomplish by spiritualizing what is perfectly natural?

Reactions: Yekcidmij

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever had someone come to you and say "God told me brother so-and-so is involved in the sin of __________"
Generally, that's just a real spiritual way of justifying gossip.
or have you ever had someone come to you and say, "Brother, the Lord spoke to me that you need to assist me in the _____________ ministry of our church"
It depends who said this to me. If it was someone I knew and trusted, I would seek God for myself. God isn't going to tell someone something about you that don't already know yourself.
, or the all-time favorite "God spoke to me that we should get married" [and you know it's not God]???
Again, if God speaks to one person and says they should get married, He'll speak it to the other person also. Incidentally, that's exactly what happened with my wife. God spoke to both of us and told us we should get married.
Why do people do this? Why don't they just come out and say what their feelings are straight-away? Why do people have to tag "God" onto the end or beginning of what they personally wanted?

Oftentimes, yes.
Again, that could well be the case.
What are people trying to accomplish by spiritualizing what is perfectly natural?
Good question.

For me, I use the "God told me" phrase extremely sparingly. In fact, I can only recall two instances when I spoke the words "God told me", and in both instances, I prayed long and hard before responding like that for the very reasons you gave above.

Unfortunately, because of people flippantly using the "God told me" phrase, or using it to manipulate, the genuine times that it happens are hard to pick out.

Upvote 0

dmhforJesus

Living EVERYDAY for God !!!
Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For me, I use the "God told me" phrase extremely sparingly. In fact, I can only recall two instances when I spoke the words "God told me", and in both instances, I prayed long and hard before responding like that for the very reasons you gave above.

Unfortunately, because of people flippantly using the "God told me" phrase, or using it to manipulate, the genuine times that it happens are hard to pick out.

Me too Bro Pete :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you ever had someone come to you and say "God told me brother so-and-so is involved in the sin of __________" or have you ever had someone come to you and say, "Brother, the Lord spoke to me that you need to assist me in the _____________ ministry of our church", or the all-time favorite "God spoke to me that we should get married" [and you know it's not God]???

good point!

If they say thus sayeth..

who can argue?

especially if pastor says it..whew!

Upvote 0

Tsadde

Aug 9, 2007
Mt. Lac le Fort St. Prince McJohn River
✟8,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone told me the casual use of phrases like "God told me..." and "The Lords wants you to..." is what is meant by the instruction in the 10 commandments not to take the name of the Lord in vain.

Makes sense to me. Funny, some people who would never think of saying "[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]" won't hesitate to say "The Lord wants you to give sacrificially to this church program."

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
God did give me the vision. I didn't say thus saith the Lord. I did say He told me. And He did. I'm sorry if no one believes me. I fully expected that. I just wanted to say sometimes He really does say things to people. I believe the enemies strongest weapon is deceit and the strength in that deceit is our unbelief. I won't bother you anymore I just wanted to give another side.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Moriah tries very carefully not to say "God showed" it something unless that truly bes the case and unmistakably so. God does show it things at times, but sometimes demons gives it visions too and it can be confused. Also sometimes it just plain knows things in its own head that SEEM like divinely disclosed because they have to do with a dimensionally-transcendent form of heightened pattern recognition which bes wired into its configuratus.

And sometimes it just plain intuits things based on how well it knows the humanimal.

Many ways of "tesseracted" thought or things "intuited" can feel, to the undiscerning spirit, like revelations from God. We need to be careful about not seeking to forcibly penetrate another's conscience or internal faith-center. Those places in the soul constitute the spiritual equivalent of physical "private places" and bes meant for intimacy with GOD ALONE, not for humans to tamper with. Presuming to force one's way there constitutes the spiritual equivalent of rape.

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not only that but

(1) God does NOT gossip about humans to other humans!!! :o
If your "word from the Lord" bes something that, if coming from another human, would be considered GOSSIP, then YOU had better do a FAST reality check WHICH "LORD" it comes from. Only one "lord" loves to sow discord, strife, and malice through gossip especially gossip masquerading as "concern" for another especially "spiritual concern" and that would be the "lord" of THIS WORLD, the "lord" of filth and flies!!!

and

(2) IF God wants you married to someone, involved with some ministry, or whatever else involving other humans, He will NOT just tell the others. He will TELL YOU TOO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dmhforJesus

Living EVERYDAY for God !!!
Feb 7, 2008
North Augusta, SC
✟22,323.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
God did give me the vision. I didn't say thus saith the Lord. I did say He told me. And He did. I'm sorry if no one believes me. I fully expected that. I just wanted to say sometimes He really does say things to people. I believe the enemies strongest weapon is deceit and the strength in that deceit is our unbelief. I won't bother you anymore I just wanted to give another side.

God bless.

Lilmiss - if God showed you something and you know that in your heart then you would be disobeying God if you did not do what he told you to. DO NOT let people or threads discourage you........YOU and GOD ONLY know what he speaks to you and what he doesn't. DO NOT be discouraged by anything read here - you have a heart of Gold and I do not believe for ONE second that you would EVER try to manipulate someone by saying "God told you something"

Sorry I didn't mean to rant that was supposed to be an encouragement to you. Plus I know God DOES talk to people - not all who say that are incorrect !!!!!! And I look for God to tell others things he tells me - its called confirmation - so I welcome it when someone tells me somthing that God laid on their heart to share.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Belle, please don't think Moriah's posts here bes at all directed at you hon. It just bes dealing with the topic in general -- it does not know the matter you referred to in your post and did not know you thought this thread got started because of you. It does not want you thinking it bes railing against you in any way. It cares about you and does not want us having any more misunderstandings OK Sis? If God gives you a vision He can and will confirm it. :hug:

And yes to balance its earlier posts yes God does at times give us an encouraging word for someone else. It bes part of the body building one another up IN LOVE for Him to do that and a blessing to both giver and receiver when they step out in faith.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Lilmiss - if God showed you something and you know that in your heart then you would be disobeying God if you did not do what he told you to. DO NOT let people or threads discourage you........YOU and GOD ONLY know what he speaks to you and what he doesn't. DO NOT be discouraged by anything read here - you have a heart of Gold and I do not believe for ONE second that you would EVER try to manipulate someone by saying "God told you something"

Sorry I didn't mean to rant that was supposed to be an encouragement to you. Plus I know God DOES talk to people - not all who say that are incorrect !!!!!! And I look for God to tell others things he tells me - its called confirmation - so I welcome it when someone tells me somthing that God laid on their heart to share.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hey Belle, please don't think Moriah's posts here bes at all directed at you hon. It just bes dealing with the topic in general -- it does not know the matter you referred to in your post and did not know you thought this thread got started because of you. It does not want you thinking it bes railing against you in any way. It cares about you and does not want us having any more misunderstandings OK Sis? If God gives you a vision He can and will confirm it. :hug:

And yes to balance its earlier posts yes God does at times give us an encouraging word for someone else. It bes part of the body building one another up IN LOVE for Him to do that and a blessing to both giver and receiver when they step out in faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.