Is there any biblical evidence that suggests that people who take their own lives go to Hell?

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
Well it is not, if a person takes their own life, that is the problem.

The problem is, is the person who takes their life. Are they a born again child of God, if they are then they have trusted in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life and have crossed over from death to life at the very moment of belief. And even thought they take their own life they will live eternally with God.

But how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life is taught so poorly in this age. That one who takes their own life may have never understood how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life to began with.
I think you might be right.

Suicide is motivated by a spirit. The attack can be from a child or an adult - circumstances are orchestrated by that spirit to destroy the person. Like so many other circumstances that happen to believers.

The Bible says “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [a]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12. We are told to put on the whole armor of God.

But the Bible also says,

Romans 8:29, “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”

So if Romans 8:29 is true, God is in control of a Christians life.

Ephesians 1:22. says, “And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him (Christ) to be the head over all things to the church.”

Also, Ephesians 1:4, says, “according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love.”

So, God calls all of His children, this is not neglected and God is in control. The Holy Spirit comes to Christians in a mighty way even before the Christian fully understands salvation, and it can be under any circumstance. But the appearance of the Holy Spirit is so powerful, that it moves the person to seek God. Because it’s God doing the calling for the purpose of offering salvation and for the purpose of conforming a Christian to the image of His Son.

So the question would be does some people in this situation deny Christ and cannot be helped?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been a question that's been burning in my mind for a while. Really ever since a few years ago. Is there any evidence in the Bible that suggests that God punishes people who take their own lives? My mother told me that it's basically like "slapping God's hand away" since he gifted you with life. This came up after I told her that I was feeling pretty sad, in lieu of the "d" word that I have come to hate. I don't know if what she said is true or not, but then again, nobody knows where people's soul goes after they die.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Life can be a gift for some people if they are lucky, and if they actually deserve to live. But for other people, it can be a time of endless suffering. If God is all about peace and happiness, why would he just sit there and watch people suffer every day? And I'm not just talking about physical medical issues. I'm talking about endless emotional, and mental pain. I, myself am currently experiencing it. I dunno, it just escapes me. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this?
Chris04, God is all powerful and it’s good you have reached out for understanding.

You have a fight on your hands. But it’s just one fight, the fight of faith to believe God. We are told to fight the good fight of faith, 1 Timothy 6:12. Read 2 Timothy - he was having a hard time and Apostle Paul wrote to him to encourage him.

My suggestion is during your prayers, say to God, “I denounce” any negative sayings you were brought up with, and ask God to remove their influence on your heart and mind.

Now for your protection, If you talk to someone who continue to speak negative and you are left feeling uncomfortable, stop bringing up certain subjects to that person. Just stop.

The word of God powerful, is your answer and your way out. Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Start reading Romans and continue reading all of the epistles. Take your time. Pray as you read for understanding. Write just a few thoughts but don’t over do it because you will be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Don’t listen to anyone but the Holy Spirit as He is guided you. Just read and study for a while, and watch how the power of God will be bestowed upon you. You will be healed!

Don’t mix your reading with a lot of books or even with a lot of discussion right now. Devote time for healing right now. All of us suffer from something and need time with God to be healed.

So, do what’s commanded, fight the good fight of faith. May God bless you and may you be healed.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bible doesn’t seem to address it other than not trusting God is sin, that is, not trusting God for your life to improve. It’s a big sin God takes very seriously. Doesn’t mean God can’t forgive it, or that people should do it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Now for your protection, If you talk to someone who continue to speak negative and you are left feeling uncomfortable, stop bringing up certain subjects to that person. Just stop.

A better option is just leave the person. Move elsewhere. Jesus gave this as an instruction to His disciples when dealing with difficult people.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to just leave and go live elsewhere. Doing that requires money or even a change of job. Not an easy task for many.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We judge all the time, else we'll only see very few discussions in the forums.

Whether my own judgement is accurate or fair or called for, that's between me and the Lord.

Drastic times calls for drastic measures. How can Christians know they have become pawns in the enemy's master plan if nobody tells them?
judg·ment
[ˈjəjmənt]

NOUN
judgement (noun)
  1. the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions:

Judge
verb

: to form an estimate or evaluation of
trying to judge the amount of time required

especially : to form a negative opinion about
shouldn't judge him because of his accent

There is a difference between judging and judgment. I would suggest that the pertinent definitions of the two words as we are discussing this particular subject are the ones I supplied above. We must use our judgment to decide what is right according to our conscience and the moral code we adhere to, in many cases that code would be biblical morality. Judging might be considering others to be evil or bad people because we are convinced that their sins are worse than our own. It could also be seen as acting as a judge and pronouncing a sentence upon another as when someone tells a person they are going to hell if they don't do X or do Y. Telling someone they are on the wrong path or that some behavior they have engaged, or wish to engage, it is not consistent with one's moral code IMO is not judging. The difficulty is that most people are offended when one points out that they are not perfect while many people want to use the fact that others are not perfect to judge them. Being honest about one's motivations and about one's reaction to criticism is not instinctive while being offended by having one's faults exposed and seeing oneself as superior to others is.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Well Judas committed suicide and according to Acts 1:25 he went to Hell. Judas also showed remorse for betraying Jesus when he returned the silver coins, but he committed suicide and Acts 1:25 proves to me that his soul went to Hell.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well Judas committed suicide and according to Acts 1:25 he went to Hell. Judas also showed remorse for betraying Jesus when he returned the silver coins, but he committed suicide and Acts 1:25 proves to me that his soul went to Hell.

It doesn't say that Judas went to hell because he committed suicide.

Remorse is not the same as repentance. The fate of Judas has been prophesied and in this prophesy, no mention of repentance. Mainly repentance from his love of money (greed). No repentance, no salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This has been a question that's been burning in my mind for a while. Really ever since a few years ago. Is there any evidence in the Bible that suggests that God punishes people who take their own lives? My mother told me that it's basically like "slapping God's hand away" since he gifted you with life. This came up after I told her that I was feeling pretty sad, in lieu of the "d" word that I have come to hate. I don't know if what she said is true or not, but then again, nobody knows where people's soul goes after they die.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Life can be a gift for some people if they are lucky, and if they actually deserve to live. But for other people, it can be a time of endless suffering. If God is all about peace and happiness, why would he just sit there and watch people suffer every day? And I'm not just talking about physical medical issues. I'm talking about endless emotional, and mental pain. I, myself am currently experiencing it. I dunno, it just escapes me. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this?
You seem pretty upset. I do kind of know how you feel though if you have seen any of my post in the bipolar forum I have that as a thorn in my side among a bunch of other things. The truth though God allows suffering to perfect us. I have to look at this when I am so depressed I can barely move. The Lord said to Paul: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV)

I dont know the specifics of whats going on with you but things will get better. Jesus cares and he will never give us more than we can handle.

As far as the sucide I know the answer to your question but I dont think you need that right now. You need love and fellowship and prayer.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
judg·ment
[ˈjəjmənt]

NOUN
judgement (noun)
  1. the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions:
Judge
verb

: to form an estimate or evaluation of
trying to judge the amount of time required

especially : to form a negative opinion about
shouldn't judge him because of his accent

There is a difference between judging and judgment. I would suggest that the pertinent definitions of the two words as we are discussing this particular subject are the ones I supplied above. We must use our judgment to decide what is right according to our conscience and the moral code we adhere to, in many cases that code would be biblical morality. Judging might be considering others to be evil or bad people because we are convinced that their sins are worse than our own. It could also be seen as acting as a judge and pronouncing a sentence upon another as when someone tells a person they are going to hell if they don't do X or do Y. Telling someone they are on the wrong path or that some behavior they have engaged, or wish to engage, it is not consistent with one's moral code IMO is not judging. The difficulty is that most people are offended when one points out that they are not perfect while many people want to use the fact that others are not perfect to judge them. Being honest about one's motivations and about one's reaction to criticism is not instinctive while being offended by having one's faults exposed and seeing oneself as superior to others is.

I agree with things you wrote here.

Just my observation that out of all topics, Christians will be most uncomfortable when the discussion turns to money, resources, and free time. They can discuss / debate about most topics but when it comes to money, they want out.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not judging anyone. Suicide is the same thing as murder. Only God can take a life. I believe the person who committed suicide, will face a angry God. Proverbs 12:28. In the way of righteousness is life, And in the pathway there is no death. Theirs two paths. The narrow gate and the wide gate. The saints are in paradise. Those who commit suicide are in sheol, its holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked. Those in sheol are waiting for judgement day. I'm not judging anyone. 15:32. He that refuse instruction despise his own soul: But he that hears gets understanding. Some people are spiritually deader than hammer. Didn't repent, and are biblically illiterate of Gods laws and provisions. Murder is to premeditation of someone life. Suicide is same thing. Psalm 1312. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. It's the Christian parents responsibility to teach their children God's laws and provisions. If the child departs from it. The person goes down the wrong pathway. Proverbs 15:24. The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath. That weaned child has free will and makes their own decisions in life . The word hell is sheol. Once again, its holding place for the wicked. There's a gulf that separates paradise and sheol. I'm not teaching hellfire. I'm telling the truth of two sides of the Gulf, read Luke chapter 16 for documentation.

Reactions: Chris04
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

This theology came about in the middle ages to stop peasants from ending their lives because it seemed like the only way out of poor living conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is really a simple question...... and the answer is obvious if you know where to look.

Here is the thing..

Suicide stops the body from living, and that's it.
The NT says that "the body is DEAD because of sin"...., and that is why you get a new one.
So, if you end what is dying, early, ?????

Now, when God looks at you, He sees, the BORN AGAIN, "Son/Daughter" ....."In Christ".
So, that is not your body.

Its our spirit that is "one with God" not this flesh thing that is going to be REPLACED.

So, suicide is unfortunate, however as that body that is put to sleep early is not the real you., that God sees, ...then.....that is that.

The REAL you that God sees, is going to get a new body.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, suicide is unfortunate, however as that body that is put to sleep early is not the real you., that God sees, ...then.....that is that.

The REAL you that God sees, is going to get a new body.
The point is that taking your own life is asserting your will over the will of God, just one more instance of original sin God continually tells us is a no no. Why do you think He said in the Lord's prayer we are to hope His will will come and be done in earth? Where is the allegiance if one expects a new 'body' after committing the ultimate example of human will over the will of God?

At the same time is it not logical that those around the potential suicide victim are also at fault simply for not loving them as self? Most die out of frustration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is that taking your own life is asserting your will over the will of God, just one more instance of original sin God continually tells us is a no no. Why do you think He said in the Lord's prayer we are to hope His will will come and be done in earth? Where is the allegiance if one expects a new 'body'?

At the same time is it not logical that those around the porential suicide vistim are also at fault sim[ply for not loving them as self? Most die out of frustration.

The reason a person kills themselves, is not the topic of this Thread.
You should start that Thread....>"why do people kill themselves"... "why do people think they have the free will do commit suicide"..

So, what i did was respond to the Thread's Topic, Timothyu.

Hell is created for the Devil and His own.
Who are they? Jesus said.."YOU are of your father the devil" and that is the unbelievers., not the Believers, as The Believer's Father is the Father of Jesus.
The born again have a different spiritual then the unbelievers.

Also, you have read the story of Samson?
He died a suicide .... He KNEW the pillars the building would crush Him to death, and he caused it to happen.
The NT refers to Samson as a "hero of the faith".

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This theology came about in the middle ages to stop peasants from ending their lives because it seemed like the only way out of poor living conditions.
It also came from Dante's Inferno, where he wrote about the forth ring of hell was where souls went who committed
suicide.

Dante's Inferno, along with the other two volumes about Purgatory and Heaven, were works of fiction,
but were mandated reading in schools for centuries.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It also came from Dante's Inferno, where he wrote about the forth ring of hell was where souls went who committed
suicide.

Dante's Inferno, along with the other two volumes about Purgatory and Heaven, were works of fiction,
but were mandated reading in schools for centuries.
It's more theology that wasn't tossed out in the reformation that had no scriptural basis.

Upvote 0