Is there any biblical evidence that suggests that people who take their own lives go to Hell?

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's more theology that wasn't tossed out in the reformation that had no scriptural basis.
Except that many Catholics accepted Dante's Inferno as fact, up until recently.

Catholics I know thought hell was like Dante's Inferno and God sent them there. Those who committed various types
of sin, were sent to the 9 different rings of hell depending on the gravity of their sins.

St Pope John Paul II, when he was still alive said, the God doesn't send anyone to hell. They go there
on their own.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Except that many Catholics accepted Dante's Inferno as fact, up until recently.

Catholics I know thought hell was like Dante's Inferno and God sent them there. Those who committed various types
of sin, were sent to the 9 different rings of hell depending on the gravity of their sins.

St Pope John Paul II, when he was still alive said, the God doesn't send anyone to hell. They go there
on their own.
Humans in general would like to think there's a special place in hell for people who treated them poorly .. so I doubt it has much to do with Catholics only.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep and also murdered in the process.

If someone is trying to kill you, and you pick up the jawbone of an ass and kill them.

The court is own your side, especially if there are 1000 of them, and only one of You.

The Court would not call that "murder"., especially if you were tied up in ropes as He was just before he defended himself.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Humans in general would like to think there's a special place in hell for people who treated them poorly .. so I doubt it has much to do with Catholics only.
True!

It's been an issue among some Christians that they prefer to see people sent to hell for eternity than shown
God's mercy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Getting hair cut too short can drive many to becoming unstable and they may never get over it.

Before i was called to be a Teaching Evangelist in '87-'91, i was playing music, as im professional musician, also.

At that time, i had really long curly hair.
I could grab it in the center of my back with my hand.... its was LONG......>"Samson long".

I decided to have it cut really short and i can tell you that it was a shock in the mirror for a while.
Samson would tell you it was more.....

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is for the purpose of providing our Salvation.

Samson was not trying to do anything like that...
Samson's symbolized Israel's military salvation.

The pharisees expected a military salvation from the Romans by Jesus, but the age of judges was over ...

Upvote 0

jsphalford11

Mar 10, 2023
Gujranwala
Visit site
✟15,752.00
Country
Pakistan
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not provide a clear answer to the question of whether people who take their own lives go to Hell. However, some people interpret certain biblical passages as suggesting that suicide is a sin that could result in eternal damnation.

One passage that is often cited in this context is the sixth commandment, which says, "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13). Some argue that suicide is a form of self-murder, and therefore violates this commandment. Others point to passages that speak of the sanctity of life, such as Genesis 1:27, which says that human beings are created in the image of God, and Psalm 139:13-16, which speaks of God's hand in forming each person in the womb.

Another passage that is sometimes cited is 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, which says, "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple." Some argue that this passage implies that taking one's own life is a form of destroying God's temple, and therefore could result in eternal destruction.

However, it's important to note that not all Christians interpret these passages in the same way, and there is no consensus on the question of whether suicide leads to eternal damnation. Some Christians believe that people who take their own lives may still be saved by God's grace, while others believe that suicide is an unforgivable sin. Ultimately, the question of where a person's soul goes after death is a matter of faith and interpretation, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been a question that's been burning in my mind for a while. Really ever since a few years ago. Is there any evidence in the Bible that suggests that God punishes people who take their own lives?
No.
My mother told me that it's basically like "slapping God's hand away" since he gifted you with life.
God gives life, and he takes it away.
If he really wanted someone to stay alive then the overdose, or whatever, wouldn't work.
I mean, don't get me wrong. Life can be a gift for some people if they are lucky, and if they actually deserve to live. But for other people, it can be a time of endless suffering.
Exactly.
Some people are in hell in this life, can't take it any more and can't see any other way out. Some genuinely believe that life would be better for other people if they weren't around.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Chris04 I think it is basically murder too, and very selfish. I mean depriving your family of you, love and hope, and giving them such a heart ache that they might not recover from.
Someone who is deeply depressed will not be able to see that, or to accept logical arguments.
They may even believe that their family will be better off without them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Samson's symbolized Israel's military salvation.

The pharisees expected a military salvation from the Romans by Jesus, but the age of judges was over ...

That's an interestig concept taught by someone, probably a commetary.
Did you want to share this Author, or the name of your commetary that teaches what you are posting?

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,016.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Catechism indicates it is a grave sin, but God is the ultimate judge. If someone is mentally ill for example their responsibility is diminished.
Suicide

Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

I've got four people on my prayer list who committed suicide - a pastor's son who had manic-depression (1983); a chap who was involved with a sporting club I was in who was an alcoholic (1975); a bloke I worked with - I don't know the full story (1986 - actually that's the case for all of them); and another fellow I went to school with who was under a lot of public and media pressure in his job (2004).

I keep praying and hoping for the best. In the case of the pastor's son, I'm Catholic and I believe in Purgatory. I think he's there and not in Hell.

I remember one of his brothers saying later that he was either right up (manic) or right down (morbidly depressed) - usually down. I suppose it got too much for him. I didn't know him well as I'd only been in the church for about six months when it happened.

To be honest I sometimes wonder if the devil was allowed to put the pastor and his family to the test in a similar sense to Job as they were all very strong Christians. The pastor in particular would have been in the devil's sights.

I remember a testimony given over 30 years ago by a former homosexual who'd become Christian, but found the bug too strong and "fell" - twice. After the second failure he was about to kill himself (and he said it would have succeeded - no question) when Christ materialised in the corner of the room. He moved towards the young bloke and somehow merged with him spiritually. From that time on he said he wasn't even tempted towards homosexuality, had married and had a couple of young sons.

This raises the question why God doesn't rescue every homosexual (or for that matter heterosexual) suicide, but I don't know the answer to that. I presume in part so that the ex-homosexual could give his testimony. I imagine such miraculous deliveries from self destruction are quite rare.

In short I suspect that committing suicide often puts the person in an even worse position, but I believe there are exceptions.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's an interestig concept taught by someone, probably a commetary.
Did you want to share this Author, or the name of your commetary that teaches what you are posting?
It was what I was thinking at the time. I am not aware of a commentary that shares my interpretive framework for the scriptures. If you find one, let me know.

Upvote 0

Chaleb

Mar 10, 2023
Florida
✟4,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was what I was thinking at the time. I am not aware of a commentary that shares my interpretive framework for the scriptures. If you find one, let me know.

I dont use any commentaries.
Just the scriptures.

Upvote 0