Is there any biblical evidence that suggests that people who take their own lives go to Hell?

Chris04

Aug 6, 2021
Atlanta
✟21,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This has been a question that's been burning in my mind for a while. Really ever since a few years ago. Is there any evidence in the Bible that suggests that God punishes people who take their own lives? My mother told me that it's basically like "slapping God's hand away" since he gifted you with life. This came up after I told her that I was feeling pretty sad, in lieu of the "d" word that I have come to hate. I don't know if what she said is true or not, but then again, nobody knows where people's soul goes after they die.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Life can be a gift for some people if they are lucky, and if they actually deserve to live. But for other people, it can be a time of endless suffering. If God is all about peace and happiness, why would he just sit there and watch people suffer every day? And I'm not just talking about physical medical issues. I'm talking about endless emotional, and mental pain. I, myself am currently experiencing it. I dunno, it just escapes me. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This has been a question that's been burning in my mind for a while. Really ever since a few years ago. Is there any evidence in the Bible that suggests that God punishes people who take their own lives? My mother told me that it's basically like "slapping God's hand away" since he gifted you with life. This came up after I told her that I was feeling pretty sad, in lieu of the "d" word that I have come to hate. I don't know if what she said is true or not, but then again, nobody knows where people's soul goes after they die.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Life can be a gift for some people if they are lucky, and if they actually deserve to live. But for other people, it can be a time of endless suffering. If God is all about peace and happiness, why would he just sit there and watch people suffer every day? And I'm not just talking about physical medical issues. I'm talking about endless emotional, and mental pain. I, myself am currently experiencing it. I dunno, it just escapes me. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this?
No one can declare who is or is not going to Hell that is a judgment that only God can make. There are several reasons why taking your own life might not even be a sin that would demand going to Hell. Regarding your suffering, I am sorry that you are experiencing pain regardless of the cause and you should seek help to reduce or eliminate the pain, talk with your pastor, or doctor, they can help. God does not desire that anyone experience extensive suffering, we live in a fallen world and it is that condition that is responsible for our suffering.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Well it is not, if a person takes their own life, that is the problem.

The problem is, is the person who takes their life. Are they a born again child of God, if they are then they have trusted in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life and have crossed over from death to life at the very moment of belief. And even thought they take their own life they will live eternally with God.

But how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life is taught so poorly in this age. That one who takes their own life may have never understood how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life to began with.

Lost Witness
Lost Witness
That makes no sense considering we're not even suppose to mark our flesh because we're in the likeness of God.
Do you think suicide is okay?
It's not
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Bible ever discussed the morality of suicide.

What I do know is that many Christians poorly judge suicide victims. You really can't understand why a person would take their own life unless you lived their very lives. To say you won't do the same thing in their life's circumstances is arrogance.

We live in an evil world that swallows up the hope of the weak. What's worse is that Christians are as cold as unbelievers in helping people who are in distress. They'd rather spend their free time in golf and hobbies. Just gobbling up the resources that God meant for somebody else. They don't read nor understand the Bible anymore, otherwise they would know what their blessings are for. They spread a lifestyle of worldliness, hypocrisy, deceiving many.

Reactions: Chris04
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the Bible ever discussed the morality of suicide.

What I do know is that many Christians poorly judge suicide victims. You really can't understand why a person would take their own life unless you lived their very lives. To say you won't do the same thing in their life's circumstances is arrogance.

We live in an evil world that swallows up the hope of the weak. What's worse is that Christians are as cold as unbelievers in helping people who are in distress. They'd rather spend their free time in golf and hobbies. Just gobbling up the resources that God meant for somebody else. They don't read nor understand the Bible anymore, otherwise they would know what their blessings are for. They spread a lifestyle of worldliness, hypocrisy, deceiving many.
How does one know that God meant a resource for someone else? I surely would not want to be mistaken and gobble up a resource that was not meant for me. I only wish to gobble up a resource that God specifically put there for me to gobble. Also, but of less importance to me, is, how can I tell if someone else has been gobbling a resource that God meant for me? Then again, I suppose that I should not be concerned with the gobbling of others and only concern myself with my own gobblingness. Until I am certain I am not gobbling the resources that are meant for others, I ought not attempt to point out which resources are being gobbled by others that I think were meant for me. Specks v beams and all. Wouldn't want to be some kind of a hypocrite pointing my finger at others for gobbling my resource while doing just the same to theirs.

Likewise, I would be a hypocrite if I were to condemn someone for intentionally taking their own life while I have acted in, some would say suicidal, ways through intentional choices taken over the course of my life that may end up prematurely causing me to die. If God condemns people for taking their own life in a sudden way then wouldn't He also be inclined to condemn people for doing so in a gradual way? If choices I take cause me to die prior to what otherwise would be the case, how is that less sinful than someone taking the choice to end their life right now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,608.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i just know, that when you think in suicide you make God very sad, you quench the spirit, and you are sinning just thinking about it, also the other time, i was passing a very rough time, so rough that in some impulse i said 'i kill myself' willing to do it, i heard some spiritual voice that said, 'you will perish if you do that', anyway that set me up quickly straight that better not do things worse than already was.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How does one know that God meant a resource for someone else? I surely would not want to be mistaken and gobble up a resource that was not meant for me. I only wish to gobble up a resource that God specifically put there for me to gobble. Also, but of less importance to me, is, how can I tell if someone else has been gobbling a resource that God meant for me? Then again, I suppose that I should not be concerned with the gobbling of others and only concern myself with my own gobblingness. Until I am certain I am not gobbling the resources that are meant for others, I ought not attempt to point out which resources are being gobbled by others that I think were meant for me. Specks v beams and all. Wouldn't want to be some kind of a hypocrite pointing my finger at others for gobbling my resource while doing just the same to theirs.

Why should we be quiet about what we read in the Bible when it concern's people's money, resources, free time, etc?

And yet many Christians find it okay to judge people who commit suicide or thinking of suicide?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
i just know, that when you think in suicide you make God very sad, you quench the spirit, and you are sinning just thinking about it, also the other time, i was passing a very rough time, so rough that in some impulse i said 'i kill myself' willing to do it, i heard some spiritual voice that said, 'you will perish if you do that', anyway that set me up quickly straight that better not do things worse than already was.

The morality of suicide is not discussed in the Bible. I also had contemplated / attempted suicide in the past from losing hope, prolonged bad situation, etc.

But the Holy Spirit did not rebuke me nor left me. It remained at my side, giving me encouragement, giving me nice dreams, showing a future of hope. It never disapproved of my suicidal tendencies. I think it understands my situation so well.

It did exactly its purpose as a comforter and friend as Jesus promised us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should we be quiet about what we read in the Bible when it concern's people's money, resources, free time, etc?

And yet many Christians find it okay to judge people who commit suicide or thinking of suicide?
Many Christians have blinders on and I say that while trying to see beyond my own . What I have read in the Bible tells me not to be concerned with things of this world and to gather my treasures in heaven just as much as it tells me not to judge people unless I wish to be judged. Paul is a much better example than I will ever be of how to be a proper Christian, but he like I and many Christians end up doing that which we know we ought not to do and not doing that which we know we ought to do. Even when we truly intend and are determined to take the right path. I certainly cannot love my neighbor by telling everyone what a deplorable person he or she is. If I see that a neighbor may be doing something that needs correction the loving thing to do would be to go. to that neighbor and seek to convince that neighbor to act more in line with biblical principles. It IMO is not a loving thing to advertise that neighbor's faults to the world. I would say it is not only possible but preferable to refrain from judging both a person that has committed suicide and a person or persons that miss the mark when it concerns people's money resources and free time. I am under the impression that everyone alive has issues that cause them to take decisions that I or you will find distasteful and that all of them need as much Grace as possible. Not only God's Grace but ours as well. I think it would behoove us to decry sin in general but forgive it in the particular. I cannot say I have been successful in practicing that type of behavior but I hope to improve in that area. I find that the older I get and the more experience I have in living the less judgmental I have become.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Many Christians have blinders on and I say that while trying to see beyond my own . What I have read in the Bible tells me not to be concerned with things of this world and to gather my treasures in heaven just as much as it tells me not to judge people unless I wish to be judged. Paul is a much better example than I will ever be of how to be a proper Christian, but he like I and many Christians end up doing that which we know we ought not to do and not doing that which we know we ought to do. Even when we truly intend and are determined to take the right path. I certainly cannot love my neighbor by telling everyone what a deplorable person he or she is. If I see that a neighbor may be doing something that needs correction the loving thing to do would be to go. to that neighbor and seek to convince that neighbor to act more in line with biblical principles. It IMO is not a loving thing to advertise that neighbor's faults to the world. I would say it is not only possible but preferable to refrain from judging both a person that has committed suicide and a person or persons that miss the mark when it concerns people's money resources and free time. I am under the impression that everyone alive has issues that cause them to take decisions that I or you will find distasteful and that all of them need as much Grace as possible. Not only God's Grace but ours as well. I think it would behoove us to decry sin in general but forgive it in the particular. I cannot say I have been successful in practicing that type of behavior but I hope to improve in that area. I find that the older I get and the more experience I have in living the less judgmental I have become.

We judge all the time, else we'll only see very few discussions in the forums.

Whether my own judgement is accurate or fair or called for, that's between me and the Lord.

Drastic times calls for drastic measures. How can Christians know they have become pawns in the enemy's master plan if nobody tells them?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe grace is extended to those who are mentally ill Anyone who takes their own life is clearly suffering from mental illness.
Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,608.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The morality of suicide is not discussed in the Bible. I also had contemplated / attempted suicide in the past from losing hope, prolonged bad situation, etc.

But the Holy Spirit did not rebuke me nor left me. It remained at my side, giving me encouragement, giving me nice dreams, showing a future of hope. It never disapproved of my suicidal tendencies. I think it understands my situation so well.

It did exactly its purpose as a comforter and friend as Jesus promised us.

That was happened to me with this, i can't tell how it was everything what explanation but that was what happened.
Sometimes when i panicked or thought something really bad happened God was there 'diffusing' the situation, when i hit lows and it seems i can't go on anymore and i don't have strength anymore God has always showed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1st off only GOD judges all at white throne judgement, HE is a heart knower and knows more than even the individual does; But committing suicide is like murder, you are taking the life of a child of GOD who gave that life for some purpose. If you end it early you will not accomplish the purpose GOD may have for you. Stay strong and study scripture the cure for all. Every day in the WORD is good day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry for your situation but consider this in answer to your question. From beginning to end of the Bible, God tells us to put His will ahead of our own. Would self harm be our own will or His? Man was placed in this world to understand the repercussions of putting our will ahead of His and in order to experience how our self centerless can hurt and oppress others or more evident, how others doing so can hurt us. Quite often coming to that realization of how His will is superior to ours lightens our burdens as we have chosen to follow the ways of God rather than the ways of man. Caring for others in times of need as one would hope self would be cared for may not change the world from a single persons perspective but it can improve immediate surroundings. I hope you find your way.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟416,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Chris04 I think it is basically murder too, and very selfish. I mean depriving your family of you, love and hope, and giving them such a heart ache that they might not recover from. You are a lot stronger than yo think. Does Jesus promise use a rose garden all our lives. We have to be willing to go through hard times as well. What if your future wife came along and you weren’t there. Hope in God for I will yet praise he is the health of my countenance and my God.’

And if it’s about a family member, don’t dwell on it. God may have had mercy. You might see them again.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For me I can not find anything in the word of God. If this helps you know we all can get sick in this body so the same with the mind :) Christ said He is the way the truth and the life no man comes to the Father but through Him. He already died for sin ;)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
@Chris04 I think it is basically murder too, and very selfish. I mean depriving your family of you, love and hope, and giving them such a heart ache that they might not recover from. You are a lot stronger than yo think. Does Jesus promise use a rose garden all our lives. We have to be willing to go through hard times as well. What if your future wife came along and you weren’t there. Hope in God for I will yet praise he is the health of my countenance and my God.’

And if it’s about a family member, don’t dwell on it. God may have had mercy. You might see them again.

Jesus does not require nor expect us to be strong all the time. Jesus is for the weak, not the strong. Many people receive the ugly givings of this world simply because our world is evil 1 John 5:19.

Don't blame things on the people who are contemplating suicide. I know because I've been there. It just screws up their mind. If they're suffering from psychological issues will only make things worse. Don't blame the victim. If this evil world drives someone to suicide, the bad consequences is solely the fault of this evil world and everyone who is working for this evil world, rather than those who are working for our Lord.

John 12:47-48
47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

Upvote 0