San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
It is commonly taught that God has two "wills," His sovereign and "permissive will." While there is no doubt about God's sovereign will, there is nothing about God's "permissive will," i.e., there is no teaching in Scripture about God having a "permissive will." That idea is just another tradition of man that is not found or taught in Scripture. No Hebrew or Greek word means "permissive will."
People are told that God "allows" things to happen or "lets" things happen, but you can't find one verse that reads that way. If a "pastor" says 'the bible says," but can't show you in Scripture where it is, then it is not in Scripture. Some may even say "it's implied," but that doesn't work either. Call me old-fashioned, but we should only teach what is in Scripture, not the traditions of men.

God's sovereign will is not hard to see or understand. It is not something impossible to figure out. It is not hidden or some mystery hidden in the pages of Scripture.

2Chr 20:6.
Psalm 115:3, 135:6
Ecc 3:14.
Job 23:13.
Isaiah 14:24,27, 46:10-11.
Eze 24:14.

The "pastors" often state what "God wants to do." When they use the word "wants," they say it as if it means "hopes, wishes, or desires." The sovereign God does exactly what He wants, when He wants, in the manner He wants, and to whomever He wants.

To best explain what the other aspect of God's will is to state that it is obeying God, living by and following His commandments. Torah means law, but it also means "instruction, teaching." God's saying, "let there be light, and there was light, is an example of God's sovereign will. When God said, "Thou shalt not murder," this is an example of God's other will, instructing his sheep on how to live a righteous life.
To see God as a father is not hard. What is a father's will when his children still live at home? For his children to keep the rules, don't steal, don't lie, and no fighting among yourselves. Obey your teachers, elders, and authorities, and don't break the law. Be kind to each other and conduct yourself properly outside the home. A father's message to his children is if you live according to what I teach and obey the rules, things will go well for you.

Neither is God's will on how a sheep should live a secrete. It is discovered by learning Scripture.

Lk 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it and bring forth fruit with patience.

Acts 22:14 And he said, "The God of our fathers has chosen you, that you should know His will..."

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you will prove what is that good, acceptable and perfect will of God.

Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.

Heb 10:36 For you need patience, that after you have done the will of God...

1Pet 4:2 That he should no longer live the rest of his life, giving in to the lusts of the flesh and men, but to the will of God.

1John 2:17 And the world passes away, along with the lusts. But he that does the will of God lives forever.

1Thess 5:18 In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God...concerning you.

1Thess 4:3 For this is the will of God...that you abstain from fornication.

1Pet 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing (good works) you will put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Eph 5:17 Be not unwise but understand the will of the Lord.

Mat 7: 21 Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that does the will of my Father.

Mk 3:35 For those who do the will of God are the ones who are my brother, sister and mother.

Psalm 40:8 I delight to do your will, my God.

Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do your will...

John 4:34 Jesus said, "My meat is to do the will of Him that sent me."

Col 4:12 ...that you will stand perfect and complete in all of the will of God.

Heb 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do His will...

"Pastors" need to stop using Jer 29:11 as a proof text to teach that God has an individual plan for each person. Teaching that leads people to wonder, "What is God's will for my life?" This lie leads people into anxiety, worry, and doubt. To begin with, Jer 29:11 is written for believers today but not "to" believers today. Reading Jer 29:1 tells you who exactly 29:11 applies to!
This nonsense has led people to believe that God has a special plan for each believer that, if followed, will lead to the "best" life a believer "can" have. This lie has people asking themselves, "Where should I go to college," "What career should I pursue," "Who should I marry?" etc., etc. They feel they are "failing" God if they don't follow God's "perfect plan" for their life.
The only problem is that people must discover this "mystery" plan for themselves. While God has put this fantastic "plan" together for each individual believer, He is silent about informing each individual about their particular plan. Really? This is like a father telling one of his children, "Son, I have buried a treasure somewhere for you, a treasure that will provide you with a great life. Only I know where this treasure is, and it is waiting for you to find it. But, son, I will not tell you where or how to find it. You have to figure this out on your own. I am not going to help you. Even if you ask me directly, I will not answer or even provide a small clue. If you fail to find the treasure, that's on you, and it's your fault. Then, I will be so disappointed in you."

And finally, people need to stop telling others, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." I've had total strangers tell me this and I can't express how asinine this sounds!

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have 2 (or really 3) major issues (that are very distinct) you are speaking on, and I agree on the problems you highlight in the 2nd half of your post about how pastors telling people God has a plan for them isn't a good wording often and causes confusion and troubles just like you point out.

About the other major thing you are discussing (though only very briefly in your 2nd paragraph near the top) -- what God allows -- you may need to reword that or revise it (or just remove it from the main point you are trying to make), this sentence: "People are told that God "allows" things to happen or "lets" things happen, but you can't find one verse that reads that way. "

This will make us remember how we do see God allowing the people to make their mistakes in very many places in scripture, (just like He allowed Adam and Eve access to the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil).

And this example, interesting in more than just 2 ways, came right to mind:

4 So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. 5 They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead b us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

10 Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. 11 He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. 12 Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. 15 He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. 16 Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle c and donkeys he will take for his own use. 17 He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”

19 But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. 20 Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”

21 When Samuel heard all that the people said, he repeated it before the Lord. 22 The Lord answered, “Listen to them and give them a king.”

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is commonly taught that God has two "wills," His sovereign and "permissive will." While there is no doubt about God's sovereign will, there is nothing about God's "permissive will," i.e., there is no teaching in Scripture about God having a "permissive will." That idea is just another tradition of man that is not found or taught in Scripture. No Hebrew or Greek word means "permissive will."
People are told that God "allows" things to happen or "lets" things happen, but you can't find one verse that reads that way. If a "pastor" says 'the bible says," but can't show you in Scripture where it is, then it is not in Scripture. Some may even say "it's implied," but that doesn't work either. Call me old-fashioned, but we should only teach what is in Scripture, not the traditions of men.

God's sovereign will is not hard to see or understand. It is not something impossible to figure out. It is not hidden or some mystery hidden in the pages of Scripture.

The "pastors" often state what "God wants to do." When they use the word "wants," they say it as if it means "hopes, wishes, or desires." The sovereign God does exactly what He wants, when He wants, in the manner He wants, and to whomever He wants.

To best explain what the other aspect of God's will is to state that it is obeying God, living by and following His commandments. Torah means law, but it also means "instruction, teaching." God's saying, "let there be light, and there was light, is an example of God's sovereign will. When God said, "Thou shalt not murder," this is an example of God's other will, instructing his sheep on how to live a righteous life.
To see God as a father is not hard. What is a father's will when his children still live at home? For his children to keep the rules, don't steal, don't lie, and no fighting among yourselves. Obey your teachers, elders, and authorities, and don't break the law. Be kind to each other and conduct yourself properly outside the home. A father's message to his children is if you live according to what I teach and obey the rules, things will go well for you.

Neither is God's will on how a sheep should live a secrete. It is discovered by learning Scripture.

Lk 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it and bring forth fruit with patience.

Acts 22:14 And he said, "The God of our fathers has chosen you, that you should know His will..."

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you will prove what is that good, acceptable and perfect will of God.

Eph 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.

1Pet 4:2 That he should no longer live the rest of his life, giving in to the lusts of the flesh and men, but to the will of God.

1John 2:17 And the world passes away, along with the lusts. But he that does the will of God lives forever.

1Thess 5:18 In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God...concerning you.

1Pet 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing (good works) you will put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Mat 7: 21 Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that does the will of my Father.

Mk 3:35 For those who do the will of God are the ones who are my brother, sister and mother.

"Pastors" need to stop using Jer 29:11 as a proof text to teach that God has an individual plan for each person. Teaching that leads people to wonder, "What is God's will for my life?" This lie leads people into anxiety, worry, and doubt. To begin with, Jer 29:11 is written for believers today but not "to" believers today. Reading Jer 29:1 tells you who exactly 29:11 applies to!
This nonsense has led people to believe that God has a special plan for each believer that, if followed, will lead to the "best" life a believer "can" have. This lie has people asking themselves, "Where should I go to college," "What career should I pursue," "Who should I marry?" etc., etc. They feel they are "failing" God if they don't follow God's "perfect plan" for their life.
The only problem is that people must discover this "mystery" plan for themselves. While God has put this fantastic "plan" together for each individual believer, He is silent about informing each individual about their particular plan. Really? This is like a father telling one of his children, "Son, I have buried a treasure somewhere for you, a treasure that will provide you with a great life. Only I know where this treasure is, and it is waiting for you to find it. But, son, I will not tell you where or how to find it. You have to figure this out on your own. I am not going to help you. Even if you ask me directly, I will not answer or even provide a small clue. If you fail to find the treasure, that's on you, and it's your fault. Then, I will be so disappointed in you."

And finally, people need to stop telling others, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." I've had total strangers tell me this and I can't express how asinine this sounds!
There are just some things that God does not take pleasure in yet allows it to unfold. God allowing certain things—even sinful things—indirectly accomplishes His will as well. This is why it is called " God’s permissive will" yet still part of His sovereignty. We know this does not will sinful actions. Right ?
Blessings.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Just because a phrase or word is not used by the Bible does not mean that the concept that it refers to is not taught by the Bible. For example, someone can look at all of the verses that talk about God's will, notice a general theme about how God expresses His will, and give it a label to that refers to that aspect of God's will even though that label is not found in the Bible.

While God gets what He wants, God can want two mutually exclusive things, and only get the one that He wants the most. For example, God can one everyone to freely choose to be in a relationship with Him, but that freedom entails that some will freely choose not to be in a relationship with Him. Likewise, it can be God's will that we don't commit murder, though God still allows people to commit murder, which sounds like God's permissive will.

While it is true that Jeremiah 29:11 is not directed at everyone, it does teach us about the nature of who God is, we serve the same God, and He is not a respecter of persons.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

God does lover you (us) and has a wonderful plan ... and that is the plan of salvation .... and the door to salvation is open to anyone who will receive Jesus as their Lord and savior .... AND it certainly isn't asinine!

We have the freedom to choose about many things .... however what we should choose should be done in the Lord. We may choose to do something .... and then choose to do something else ..... but again .... all choices should be made in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God's sovereign will is not hard to see or understand. It is not something impossible to figure out.

True.
John 6:40 - It is God's will that people believe in Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 4:3 - it is God's will that we should be holy.
1 Thessalonians 5 - Rejoice continually, pray at all times, give thanks in all circumstances; this is God's will for you.

God's will is that we believe in Jesus, be sanctified, pray, rejoice and give thanks continually. His will is about who were are, not what we do.
Yet many overlook these verses and teach, "God's will is for you to DO ......."
I certainly agree that Jeremiah 29:11 is very often misapplied.
We need to read it in the context of the passage. The Israelites had been taken into exile in Babylon as punishment for their sins. In spite of the fact that they had ignored the prophets' warnings, (i.e. exile was their fault) they were unhappy and believed God had deserted them. See Psalm 137 - "how can we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?"
God told them, through Jeremiah, that they were to settle down in Babylon, "build houses, settle down, plant gardens, marry ..... increase in numbers", Jeremiah 29:5-6. He told them also to seek the prosperity of the city - because if Babylon prospered, they too would prosper, Jeremiah 29:7. After 70 years the Lord was going to come to them, keep his promise and rescue them. "FOR, I know the plans I have for you ........" Jeremiah 29:11.

In other words, "you see this time of exile as being a disaster. But I am with you in it, and I want you to settle down, have and raise families and even pray that your enemies will prosper. THEN, after 70 years, I will rescue you."
That message - that God is with us in all things, that we should wait on him and he will act and fulfil his promises - is definitely for us today. But yanking one verse out of its context and applying it in a different way, is incorrect.

Upvote 0