Orthodox vs. Protestant belief differences?

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is not difficult to listen to the Spirit, no. What becomes difficult is when the Spirit tells different people different things.
Which is why Sola Scriptura comes in handy at times. ;)

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which is why Sola Scriptura comes in handy at times. ;)
Of course. But who decides what is Scripture, and which manuscript, and what itt means, especially when it conflicts? The Spirit, once again. But the Spirit leads different people to very different places.

Of course, if one really trusts the Spirit, that different people believe God wants very different things of people is ok, because obviously, by the Spirit, he does.

Fair?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Also, OP, I think your question is fundamentally wrong and inappropriate. You should be asking which Christ aligns with, not which you align with.

Truth. Just highlighting this response. Lest I had forgotten the root of my seeking, after all.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was much of the corrupt spirit that crept into the Church slowly, even while Christ still walked the earth
How can you tell what was corrupt and what was not if it crept in while Jesus was still on the Earth?

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Of course. But who decides what is Scripture, and which manuscript, and what it means, especially when it conflicts? The Spirit, once again.
Well, I don't believe that Scripture conflicts, when understood in the correct context.

But the Spirit leads different people to very different places.
A spirit anyway.

Of course, if one really trusts the Spirit, that different people believe God wants very different things of people is ok, because obviously, by the Spirit, he does.

Fair?
Not really. There is only one correct understanding of scripture: The original meaning intended by the Holy Spirit working through human writers.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
No other Christians can hold a candle the Orthodox in terms of matyrs and other radical witnesses to the faith. That didn't die in the third century for us, it continues to this day; the kind of Christianity Kierkegaard thought was gone

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, I don't believe that Scripture conflicts, when understood in the correct context.

A spirit anyway.

Not really. There is only one correct understanding of scripture: The original meaning intended by the Holy Spirit working through human writers.
Which the ancient saints witness.

• Agree
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you know what is "corrupt" by the Spirit, yes?

In a confrontation with the Gnostics (distinguished by the conviction that matter is evil and that emancipation comes through gnosis i.e. knowledge) of his day, Tertullian (160-230), a gifted Christian writer and apologist, defended his claim of the true Gospel this way,

“I say that my Gospel is the true one; Marcion, that his is. I affirm that Marcion's Gospel is adulterated; Marcion, that mine is. Now what is to settle the point for us, except it be that principle of time, which rules that the authority lies with that which shall be found to be more ancient; and assumes as an elemental truth, that corruption (of doctrine) belongs to the side which shall be convicted of comparative lateness in its origin. For, inasmuch as error is falsification of truth, it must needs be that truth therefore precede error. A thing must exist prior to its suffering any casualty; and an object must precede all rivalry to itself. Else how absurd it would be, that, when we have proved our position to be the older one, and Marcion's the later, ours should yet appear to be the false one, before it had even received from truth its objective existence….”

Our example of the Church is not Catholicism, Orthodoxy, or Protestantism which are all later manmade perversions. Christ has told us in Revelations to go back and do our first works over again but today nothing ever go back beyond the fourth-century, but it is there we must look for truth. The first-century fathers had first-hand knowledge of what the Apostles received from the mouth of Christ.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
In a confrontation with the Gnostics (distinguished by the conviction that matter is evil and that emancipation comes through gnosis i.e. knowledge) of his day, Tertullian (160-230), a gifted Christian writer and apologist, defended his claim of the true Gospel this way,

“I say that my Gospel is the true one; Marcion, that his is. I affirm that Marcion's Gospel is adulterated; Marcion, that mine is. Now what is to settle the point for us, except it be that principle of time, which rules that the authority lies with that which shall be found to be more ancient; and assumes as an elemental truth, that corruption (of doctrine) belongs to the side which shall be convicted of comparative lateness in its origin. For, inasmuch as error is falsification of truth, it must needs be that truth therefore precede error. A thing must exist prior to its suffering any casualty; and an object must precede all rivalry to itself. Else how absurd it would be, that, when we have proved our position to be the older one, and Marcion's the later, ours should yet appear to be the false one, before it had even received from truth its objective existence….”

Our example of the Church is not Catholicism, Orthodoxy, or Protestantism which are all later manmade perversions. Christ has told us in Revelations to go back and do our first works over again but today nothing ever go back beyond the fourth-century, but it is there we must look for truth. The first-century fathers had first-hand knowledge of what the Apostles received from the mouth of Christ.
And they were Orthodox. Christ promised the Spirit of Truth would preserve his Church and guide her. Do you think the Spirit quit for over a thousand years?

Reactions: Christina C
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A spirit anyway.

Ok. But how do you know what the hat correct reading is?

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Tertullian's defense reposes on the bare, and untrue, assertion that older is better. He substitutes age for truth. While that argument certainly warms the heart of any Catholic or Orthodox, and apparently also the Anabaptist, it's not, in fact, a true or inspired argument. It is merely an appeal to tradition and habit, not truth.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can you tell what was corrupt and what was not if it crept in while Jesus was still on the Earth?

Jesus warned (Matt. 7:15), “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” Much of His ministry consisted of confronting the false teaching of the religious leaders of His day (cf. Matt. 16:11-12; 23:1-39). In His discourse on things to come, He warned (Matt. 24:4-5), “See to it that no one misleads you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many.”

Corruption crept in immediately even though the disciples were not aware of it or able to detect it, but it was there. There were some who were going around casting out demons and Jesus advised the Apostles to leave them alone; as long as they were for them they weren't against them. Although the Holy Spirit helps in this regard there are also practical things to look for like "fruit." I hear much on this site that is not Christian in spirit and it is fair to conclude that these people are Christian in word only.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Corruption crept in immediately even though the disciples were not aware of it or able to detect it, but it was there. There were some who were going around casting out demons and Jesus advised the Apostles to leave them alone; as long as they were for them they weren't against them. Although the Holy Spirit helps in this regard there are also practical things to look for like "fruit."
What would the fruit be?

Charity, hospitals, shelters for the homeless, orphanages, aged care, and all those sorts of things are characteristic of some of the largest Christian groups but less so for the small ones. Is this fruit?

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The first century apostles and disciples did indeed, and they wrote it down. Everything that they wrote down is included in the Ethiopian canon, especially the Didache, which tells how to run the church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And they were Orthodox. Christ promised the Spirit of Truth would preserve his Church and guide her. Do you think the Spirit quit for over a thousand years?

The Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant Churches are all adulterations of the original. Yes, Christ has preserved His Bride but it ain't in no fancy building with people kissing idols, pretending Christ is alive in a wafer, convincing people they are going to Heaven when they are no different than the world around them.It will be just as Christ said it would be, "Very few will enter in" the gate will be too difficult to get through with the load of sin the Churches and their preachers lay on them and will not lift a finger to help them.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tertullian's defense reposes on the bare, and untrue, assertion that older is better. He substitutes age for truth. While that argument certainly warms the heart of any Catholic or Orthodox, and apparently also the Anabaptist, it's not, in fact, a true or inspired argument. It is merely an appeal to tradition and habit, not truth.

What he says is not inspired but it is a fact and everything that comes after is an adulteration of that thing that came first. If you cannot see that then I am afraid argumentation is futile. What came later was interpretation and commentary and later still came flat-out lies of which the Catholic Church is king.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would the fruit be?

Charity, hospitals, shelters for the homeless, orphanages, aged care, and all those sorts of things are characteristic of some of the largest Christian groups but less so for the small ones. Is this fruit?

Purity and righteousness. You don't seriously believe that these things you mention are what our Father is looking for. The Lord doesn't want your pocketbook, He owns the whole world and could have these things multiplied a thousand times over. Christians will give money when what He wants is a broken and contrite spirit. He doesn't want you alive He wants you dead and buried, and until He can get you there you're hopeless. Once you are dead then He will begin giving gifts and you will start bearing fruit. He will give you a lion's heart and a lamb's spirit and through the love of the cross and the bearing of many scars you will produce much fruit. Association with many "Christian" groups is not His concern: no gold embossed nameplates, no buildings with your name on it, no suppers in your honor, and no tax deductions. A broken heart, and that's it. "Unless a seed falls to the ground and dies it remains alone", i.e. no fruit.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
The Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant Churches are all adulterations of the original. Yes, Christ has preserved His Bride but it ain't in no fancy building with people kissing idols, pretending Christ is alive in a wafer, convincing people they are going to Heaven when they are no different than the world around them.It will be just as Christ said it would be, "Very few will enter in" the gate will be too difficult to get through with the load of sin the Churches and their preachers lay on them and will not lift a finger to help them.
Protestants seem to have no trouble with fancy cars and mansions, but get offended when a house of God is fancy. Hm.

If kissing something makes it an idol, we're all in trouble.

Orthodoxy has confession, upholding a Christian lifestyle is required for communion. We also have plenty of people who live lives much more radical and ascetic and Christian than you do.

Upvote 0